Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I'm starting to think the Colts will not make a big splash...

It's weird as I'm torn.

Part of me wants the Colts to sign a top FA or two or three, yet...

the other part of me is starting to think that the Colts aren't going to over spend just because they could, which is smart.

Lots of people have been getting on Colts/Griggs last few years based on a few contracts that looked overspent and I think they/he just might have learned from that.

We won't get Knighton, as he will follow Del Rio

Fairley I believe will end up back in Detroit, especially considering what the lions offered Suh. They have money and will out of desperation keep Nick.

Mcourtey won't come here and neither will Murray or AP

In the end I think we will end up with mostly better players than we've had at low to mid offers/contracrs

It's weird as I'm torn.

the other part of me is starting to think that the Colts aren't going to over spend just because they could, which is smart.

Lots of people have been getting on Colts/Griggs last few years based on a few contracts that looked overspent and I think they/he just might have learned from that.

Fairley I believe will end up back in Detroit, especially considering what the lions offered Suh. They have money and will out of desperation keep Nick.

In the end I think we will end up with mostly better players than we've had at low to mid offers/contracrs

why do you think noone will come here?

FA hasn't even started yet and you're throwing in the towel....geez

No. I guess I wrote it wrong. I'm saying it doesn't look like we will be outbidding or getting into bidding wars with players and we will lose out on a lot because of that or at least it seems that way so far. this is smart though as I don't really want them to over pay. That gore deal is nutz

No. I guess I wrote it wrong. I'm saying it doesn't look like we will be outbidding or getting into bidding wars with players and we will lose out on a lot because of that or at least it seems that way so far. this is smart though as I don't really want them to over pay. That gore deal is nutz

Why? Cause we didn't go nuts and sign suh? And we didn't outbid for gore, who's 32?

I'm starting to think that too. Personally letting Brandon Marshall slip away was a punch to the gut for me. Hopefully we'll be wrong though.

Would've had to offer a 4th for Marshall. The Colts 5th is not nearly as good as the Jets. He's a good player, but I'm happy Grigson kept the pick. Could get a really good RB in the 4th or 5th.

why do you think noone will come here?

By 'no-one' I am assuming you mean the big-name young FAs.

It is possible you are right...because at least one dumb team always seems to offer a ridiculously high amount to their favorite FA...and it would be stupid and irresponsible of Grigson to exceed those crazy $$$.

...which brings us to NEVER trading draft picks and ALWAYS trading players for more draft picks...and getting your players through the draft.

Who would you consider a "big Splash" player?

Suh- Rumored to go to Miami.

Maclin- Rumored to go to Chiefs, Ravens, or stay with Philly.

McCourty- Rumored to go to the Eagles or Giants, stay with NE, with Colts interested.

Murray - Rumored to go to Jacksonville, Oakland, or stay in Dallas, Colts interested.

AP- Rumored to go to Arizona or work it out with Minnesota. Colts interested.

It appears that the Colts have "interest" in many FAs simply because we have cap space, are a winning team, and agents would like to use that as leverage. We cannot be sure if there is real interest based on these reports.

Who else would you consider a big splash FA?

Maclin is gone

Yeah, why in heck would he go to K.C....that's a WR graveyard statistically.

Wow...Andy really sold him a bill-of-goods. I feel sorry for Maclin but it's his stupid decision. It would have been better for him to stay in Philly for less coin.

I'm starting to think that too. Personally letting Brandon Marshall slip away was a punch to the gut for me. Hopefully we'll be wrong though.

A punch in the gut?!?

Wow....   you're a pushover.....

And I like Marshall....   but it would've cost the Colts a 4.     The Jets 5 is a better pick than the Colts 5 and that even presumes that we made an offer at all.      ESPN says we didn't.  

It's weird as I'm torn.

The players we're losing are signing elsewhere for more than we can afford,  or more than we want to pay.

There are still LOTS of good players out there to sign.

There is no need to panic or worry.

By 'no-one' I am assuming you mean the big-name young FAs.

It is possible you are right...because at least one dumb team always seems to offer a ridiculously high amount to their favorite FA...and it would be stupid and irresponsible of Grigson to exceed those crazy $$$.

...which brings us to NEVER trading draft picks and ALWAYS trading players for more draft picks...and getting your players through the draft.

NEVER trading draft picks means NO Vonte Davis.

Still want to hold to that rule?

It's weird as I'm torn.

It makes no difference what Grigson does there will be some who will hate any move he makes. So far he has been smart with the contracts he has signed and I expect he will continue. There is no need to jump into the fire till you see what's in the pot.

You're not wrong. IDK why people kept getting hooked in on all these stories about how we were so interested in Suh, Marshall,and others. There was never anything solid behind those "rumors".

And now it seems people are feeling let down when the Colts were never going to make a big splash to begin with. It's not our style. I doubt we'll get McCourty or Fairley either

You're not wrong. IDK why people kept getting hooked in on all these stories about how we were so interested in Suh, Marshall,and others. There was never anything solid behind those "rumors".

And now it seems people are feeling let down when the Colts were never going to make a big splash to begin with. It's not our style. I doubt we'll get McCourty or Fairley either

The Pats are working hard to keep McCourty...and the Lions are trying hard to keep Fairley....sooooo.........

draft picks are so overrated.  that some of you think a 4th is too much for freaking Brandon Marshall is ridiculous. 

or from our perspective you don't know the value of a 4th round pick and are way overrating Marshall.

draft picks are so overrated.  that some of you think a 4th is too much for freaking Brandon Marshall is ridiculous. 

Well, to be fair.....no one gave up a 4th for Brandon Marshall, not even the Jets. Aside from the Bears, 31 other teams could have given a 4th for him and didn't. 

The Pats are working hard to keep McCourty...and the Lions are trying hard to keep Fairley....sooooo.........

Not just that, but I don't think there is any truth behind us being interested. You could say amy team would be interested in a good player. Heck, I'm sure Seattle is interested in McCourty

It's gunna be such a bummer when most of this forum says this offseason was a failure. Excited to see how FA goes though. Even more excited for the draft.

I agree -- excited for FA and the draft. I'm not clamoring for big name Free Agents. But at the moment, if we are comparing our team in 2014 to what we have now:

We will need:

1. A starter in place of Landry

2. If Mike Adams doesn't re-sign, another good safety

3. DL depth in place of RJF

4. Starting receiver in place of Wayne 

5. Depth at OL to replace A.Q. Shipley (Herremans signing has addressed this).

These moves need to be made just to break even. To make us a better team, we will need to add impact players through both FA and the draft. The key is that we need to add impact players or we are a weak roster relying heavily on Andrew Luck, again.