Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New cap space calculations. What will we do?

loudnproudcolt

With RJF being cut today, it brings our cap space up to 43.75M. I think we can all look down the road and agree Trent Richardson is going to be cut, and I am guessing Donald Thomas will also due to injuries. I won't go any further than those two. With those two cuts probably on the horizon, our cap space going into FA will be 49.3 Million.

One other note, with this cut, and the two other cuts when/if they happen, the only one who may not get cut is Thomas, our cap space will be 92.3M for 2016, and that is assuming the cap number does not increase from what is projected.

What does it mean? Grigson said he was going to be active in FA. With the cap space we have, we should be able to fill holes, have money left to sign Hilton to an extension, sign our RFA's and FA's we want back, and then wait until next year to sign Luck, Fleener, Allen, and Castanzo to extensions. The cap space is important for this year, but due to the amount we have for next year, we can now postpone some extensions if there are some players we really want.

Bottom line, I think Grigson has a few players in mind he really wants to go after, and he has the cap space to do it. I just hope he does not overspend on contracts just to seal the deal. This is why we had to release Landry and RJF. There production did not match the contract prices. We can argue about that, but the point is, I want players, but I don't want to overspend. I like Lupati, but Clint Boling is younger, and would be cheaper.

I think McPhee at 8M and over is too much, and that number comes from NFL.com and what they think he will be offered. I would much rather have Tamba Hali. He has a lot left in the tank, would be much cheaper, and adds a verteran presence.  Several teavams have cap space over 50M. We now are in that discussion. rence, we are a playoff team, The difference is we have a great QB. and if we are smart, we can fill some nice holes at good prices, properly structured contracts like Denver did last year. We can offer FA's something other clubs with massive cap space can't. A winning tradition and a very solid organization. We should not overpay just to bring certain players in. The only exception I would make is if McCourty made it to FA. I would really like to have him. Always exceptions to the rule. :thmup:

I would much rather have Tamba Hali. He has a lot left in the tank, would be much cheaper, and adds a verteran presence. 

I don't know if I'd say a 32-yr old linebacker has "a lot left in the tank" but yes, he'd make a nice veteran addition, kinda like Mike Adams did last year...assuming we could get him at the right price, and not over-pay, as you say.

I'm going to predict we re-sign Redding, Brown, and Butler. Then sign Fairley, Knighton, McCourty, and Iupati. Then address everything else in the draft.

that's quite a pricey FA.

I was thinking more like D. Williams, McCourty, Orakpo ( 1 year), Spiller or Ingram, a cheap but worthy guard. We will see though, I don't think we can get our hopes up to high for some of the best players at each position.

I'm hoping for Bpling, Hali, Ngata and Mccourty.

That would be an incredible list if we were able to get all those players. McCourty I'm not so sure on simply because I think we will bring back Mike Adams who also plays FS. Then we will probably draft a safety later in the draft to backup Adams.

I could see us bringing in another OG, DT, and OLB though.

With RJF being cut today, it brings our cap space up to 43.75M. I think we can all look down the road and agree Trent Richardson is going to be cut, and I am guessing Donald Thomas will also due to injuries. I won't go any further than those two. With those two cuts probably on the horizon, our cap space going into FA will be 49.3 Million.

One other note, with this cut, and the two other cuts when/if they happen, the only one who may not get cut is Thomas, our cap space will be 92.3M for 2016, and that is assuming the cap number does not increase from what is projected.

What does it mean? Grigson said he was going to be active in FA. With the cap space we have, we should be able to fill holes, have money left to sign Hilton to an extension, sign our RFA's and FA's we want back, and then wait until next year to sign Luck, Fleener, Allen, and Castanzo to extensions. The cap space is important for this year, but due to the amount we have for next year, we can now postpone some extensions if there are some players we really want.

Bottom line, I think Grigson has a few players in mind he really wants to go after, and he has the cap space to do it. I just hope he does not overspend on contracts just to seal the deal. This is why we had to release Landry and RJF. There production did not match the contract prices. We can argue about that, but the point is, I want players, but I don't want to overspend. I like Lupati, but Clint Boling is younger, and would be cheaper.

I think McPhee at 8M and over is too much, and that number comes from NFL.com and what they think he will be offered. I would much rather have Tamba Hali. He has a lot left in the tank, would be much cheaper, and adds a verteran presence.  Several teavams have cap space over 50M. We now are in that discussion. rence, we are a playoff team, The difference is we have a great QB. and if we are smart, we can fill some nice holes at good prices, properly structured contracts like Denver did last year. We can offer FA's something other clubs with massive cap space can't. A winning tradition and a very solid organization. We should not overpay just to bring certain players in. The only exception I would make is if McCourty made it to FA. I would really like to have him. Always exceptions to the rule. :thmup:

Don't forget about the 7.7 million in roll over cap.

Did the colts talk to any players at the combine?

I think Grigson will go after a few guys but ultimately take care of home base.

I think he makes 2 or 3 flashy moves in free agency and hopefully he gets back to his 2012 drafting ways because we do need to install some youth into this team to help Luck compete for years to come instead of getting a lot of older stop gap guys.

that's quite a pricey FA.

I was thinking more like D. Williams, McCourty, Orakpo ( 1 year), Spiller or Ingram, a cheap but worthy guard. We will see though, I don't think we can get our hopes up to high for some of the best players at each position.

What the deal with Orakpo and Spiller please no. Orakpo is overrated and Spiller is just a name that will do nothing behind what we have currently at O Line.

Both are going to want big money. Spiller is already proclaiming himself a home run threat every time he touches the ball can't get a deal with the Bills nor could he hold the job full time.

We don't need to spend big money on a RB or an often injured OLB. Orakpo has played 24 games the last 3 years. That is exactly half the games no thank you.

What the deal with Orakpo and Spiller please no. Orakpo is overrated and Spiller is just a name that will do nothing behind what we have currently at O Line.

Both are going to want big money. Spiller is already proclaiming himself a home run threat every time he touches the ball can't get a deal with the Bills nor could he hold the job full time.

We don't need to spend big money on a RB or an often injured OLB. Orakpo has played 24 games the last 3 years. That is exactly half the games no thank you.

I don't know we will just have to see. I don't see us getting so many players like others think we will.

I have a feeling this will turn out like previous years...everyone thinking were getting a game changer and we get well......DQ Jackson

I disagree. Grigson knows if he does that we'll be about the same team as this past season, which is pretty good, but not a great team. If we signed 3 or 4 really good players, we could be the best team in football next season. If we just sign mid tier players it would most likely take years to draft enough star players to have a great defense. We have to build through the draft, be we also have to bring in some stud free agents IMO. Look at Seattle signing Avril, Bennett, Williams, etc, to sprinkle in with their own players. I don't expect Suh, but I fully expect Grigs to target some really good players this offseason.