Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Tevin Coleman the best back in the draft?

Now here me out, out of the top HB in this draft who had a worse supporting cast in college than Coleman? I just think that if he's there when we pick with the 29th selection we have to take him. He has the running style the colts need with our o-line. He is viscious running between the tackles, accelerates to full speed with the flip of a switch and does not get tackled down by shoe lace tackles!. Some might think the first round is to early for him but I think we can't pass on him. Your thoughts?

He's a beast, but if Gurley's healthy, he's a special type RB man, and I would put Gordon ahead of Coleman too. Like I said, Coleman is a monster and he's going to be great IMO, but I just think those two are a little better than him. My top 5 RB's are Gurley, Gordon, Coleman, Abdullah, and Johnson. I would love Coleman in the 2nd after we get a defensive player in the 1st.

He's a beast, but if Gurley's healthy, he's a special type RB man, and I would put Gordon ahead of Coleman too. Like I said, Coleman is a monster and he's going to be great IMO, but I just think those two are a little better than him. My top 5 RB's are Gurley, Gordon, Coleman, Abdullah, and Johnson. I would love Coleman in the 2nd after we get a defensive player in the 1st.

do you think Coleman would fall to us in the 2nd?

No one is going to want to here this but Coleman really isn't as great as people make him out to be. He's not as good as Gordon, Gurley, or Abdullah. He isn't significantly better than Langford or David Cobb either. I know a lot of people think he's in the same league as Gurley and Gordon, but he really is more in the second tier class of RB's with guys like Ajayi, Davis, Allen, Langford,etc...

Wasn't even the top RB in the Big 10 tbh....

Now here me out, out of the top HB in this draft who had a worse supporting cast in college than Coleman? I just think that if he's there when we pick with the 29th selection we have to take him. He has the running style the colts need with our o-line. He is viscious running between the tackles, accelerates to full speed with the flip of a switch and does not get tackled down by shoe lace tackles!. Some might think the first round is to early for him but I think we can't pass on him. Your thoughts?

No, just no ... maybe in the 3rd

What do you guys think of Mike Davis out of South Carolina? He's explosive and is a very good pass catcher but he's getting no buzz. I believe he'd be a great back for us and could be had in the 3rd round.

I'd like to know about him too. I never here his name mentioned here as an option for us. I haven't watched him at all. Lance Zerlein says he compares to Alfred Morris.

I like Coleman. I like him a lot. I would take him in the 2nd if he has a respectable showing at the combine.

But with that being said, He didn't work out which could slightly lower his stock, especially if he is so so at his pro day.

So maybe if he looks like he may slide I'd wait to see if he falls to the third. Maybe trade up (or down) in the 3rd to get him. 

If this happens (Which is most likely not a great chance) we could have a GREAT top of the draft by doing something like this

1. ILB(McKinney, Dawson, Perryman)

2. DE/S 

3. Coleman

What do you guys think of Mike Davis out of South Carolina? He's explosive and is a very good pass catcher but he's getting no buzz. I believe he'd be a great back for us and could be had in the 3rd round.

I am relying on what Mayock said today about Davis. He said he has always had a lot of athletic talent, but has not lived up to the billing. That has been the wrap on him.

I really don't want a RB in the first, but I get the feeling if Gurley or Gordon is there at our pick, Grigson is going to think about it very hard. There are only 2-3 guys who scout who I pay attention to who seem to really watch a lot of film, and know what they are talking about. Mayock is one of them, and he loves Gordon and Gurley, and alluded to the fact Gordon would be a perfect fit. Remember, Pep's offense calls for a future back. It is the reason we swung and missed on Richardson, but Grigson will not be deterred. Gordon looked much better catching the ball out of the backfield this year, and one other thing stuck with me that Mayock said. Gordon is a terrific blocker on pass plays. We need a solid back, but blocking is a must! Most backs are not good at blocking and picking up the blitz. Bradshaw is terrific at it. I would love to have Gordon backed up by Bradshaw. Of course, we need to sign Boling or Lupati in FA, and find a RT who is healthy, and then our offense would be very tough to defend!

Not even close, no. The not so subtle IU homerism with him is really annoying on here.

I agree he is over hyped due to being from IU, but don't you kind of expect it being in Indiana.  It might be different if IU was sending sending high picks to the draft every year, but when it happens so infrequently it's only natural IU fans and alumni are going to pull for the few they do send extra hard. 

I like Coleman a lot.

I like him more than many here.

But I don't see any evaluations that show him as the best back in the draft, and I don't see that when I watch his tape.

So,  the answer is no, and this is not a hard one to call.

I think he's very good.   And before shrinking in both height and weight upon arriving at the Combine I thought he'd go 2nd round.

I think he still might,  but now I think he's got a decent chance to go in the 3rd round.

Not the best back in the draft and it's not even close.

Gurley and Gordon are 1-2.   Or, if you prefer,  Gordon and Gurley.

Wow. Surprised people from Indiana seem so low on him. While RB in the NFL has certainly been devalued lately, all successful have a pretty good one or two. He just ran for 2000 yards in the B1G. Not to mention 3 of his games against MSU, OSU and Iowa were against the numbers 1, 5, & 6 rushing defenses in the Big 10. I don't want a RB in the first round, but like Gordon or Gurley being there at 29, if Coleman is there at our pick in the 2nd, I'm sure the front office will consider it. Especially if we land someone very high on our board in the 1st round.

Can't go wrong with Gordon, Gurley, or Coleman. I would love to get Coleman in the late 2nd rd. Please no rb in in the 1st I don't care if they all are there just means we can get a good one later.

Coleman will be a beast at the next level. He had the worst Oline at IU compared with the other top rb's and the kid still rushed for 2000yds and 15td's against some of the top defenses in NCAA. I don't think Coleman will be there when we pick in the 2nd but if he slides that far he would be a great pick!

Ajayi reminds me a whole lot of Legarret Blount.  I don't like him as our main back, but I could certainly see using him in the same way the Patriots use Blount.  Big Bruiser back.

Ajayi runs way to up-right between the tackles and doesn't finish very well for someone his size either. I honestly wouldn't spend any late round pick on him.

Ajayi runs way to up-right between the tackles and doesn't finish very well for someone his size either. I honestly wouldn't spend any late round pick on him.

I'm not a big Ajayi fan myself, but I think he's better than that.  He breaks a lot of tackle when you watch his tape.

I would hate to see the Colts spend a draft pick on a RB before the 4th or 5th rounds. There are just too many needs on defense and on the o-line, and getting some impact guys there is better for the long haul. 

True. Maybe the 3rd but who knows. I think Grigson is going to get all of them during this off season. Pass Rusher, Safety, ILBers, and a nice running back. Not all necessarily in the draft, though.

I've been singing Tev's song for 3 months...   He is LEGIT.       And people are starting to take notice... 

I have a feeling if INDY wants a STUD back they have to burn a 1 on him.    And i just don't know about that.  

AA or Duke...        in second?  

But I can tell you I want TEV C bad....        in INDY. 

No one is going to want to here this but Coleman really isn't as great as people make him out to be. He's not as good as Gordon, Gurley, or Abdullah. He isn't significantly better than Langford or David Cobb either. I know a lot of people think he's in the same league as Gurley and Gordon, but he really is more in the second tier class of RB's with guys like Ajayi, Davis, Allen, Langford,etc...

Wasn't even the top RB in the Big 10 tbh....

No one is going to want to hear that? I mean we all got our opinions and they're just that. Though we all think of our own highly. From reading the forum it seems to me there are many that are on the same page as you and will gladly hear it. The more bold thing to say to me is... I see Tevon Coleman being one of the big stars coming out of this draft. The guys a beast! How some people can't grasp, or see that I don't know, but I have watched them all and this guy has it imo. Would I draft him in the first? Probably not based on the bigger needs (defense, I want to see this monster). I would do the home work and get this best player on the board most based on needs. No since straying from who you like from the big needs.

I would definitely draft a RB from this class though. I don't see the Colts drafting a RB in the first. Second round I can see and maybe Tevon will be there. If he is, I would draft him. While he surely wont be there Todd Gurley could be really special as well as long as the injury bug doesn't linger. Honesty this RB class I think will be one to remember. I've been telling those I know all season that this RB class is deep with talent. Some will pan out, some wont, but I believe there are several future stars in this class for sure.