Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Key Changes to Stop the Run

indyagent17

With the free agent period and the draft coming in the next few months this is a priority 

I think it starts with the DT and with a three man front this man needs to be a force and nothing short. Without a "mean spirited" and high motor tackle it puts too much pressure on the gap to his weakside and requires a powerful middle line backing team.  

So those are three key players that contribute to run deficiencies the most,

Are any of those three players on the team now?  it looks like no and it needs to be a focus this offseason,

There is a lot of talk about signing Suh but that seems a very difficult signing 

Without this we will not win a title and this needs to be addressed ASAP

So who are the players in free agency and the draft that can be those three difference makers ?

Rolando McClain and Fairley draft a DL in first that would help

Just curious... McClain has "retired" twice in his short career and was then released to do something with a team of his choice(Dallas). Why would the Colts want to go near a situation like that with their money?

Just curious... McClain has "retired" twice in his short career and was then released to do something with a team of his choice(Dallas). Why would the Colts want to go near a situation like that with their money?

cause he played good in Dallas is good against the run and still young

Also he won't be able to ask for a ton of money

cause he played good in Dallas is good against the run and still young

Also he won't be able to ask for a ton of money

Well, as long as the contract is negotiated to protect against his flight risk or whatever you wanna call it... I would be cool with it.

Edit: However, the first time he "retired" was on Chuck Pagano's watch... would he want to come play for him in Indy? Questions, questions...

Well, as long as the contract is negotiated to protect against his flight risk or whatever you wanna call it... I would be cool with it.

Edit: However, the first time he "retired" was on Chuck Pagano's watch... would he want to come play for him in Indy? Questions, questions...

I'm sure we wouldn't just throw cash at him without some guidelines Grigson is smart with his contracts usually

Pagano never coached McClain

I know I am in the minority, but I think our LBs are as much to blame as the d-line

D'qwell and Freeman just are not physical enough.

And everyone wants Mike Adams to be resigned, but he misses way too many tackles. Had a horrible playoff game vs NE.

I would certainly agree that our LBs are to blame but I think we are deficient all along our front 7.

Knighton was a tank in the middle of the Broncos D-Line last year. He'd be my first choice as he wouldn't break the bank and is still somewhat young (28). Suh is just too much with the number of needs we have now. I agree with Dan that I'd love to draft Henry Anderson.

I agree. . . I've read that the NT position is the lynchpin of the entire 3-4 defense. . . So if we're gonna run a 3-4 we should aim to have one of the best NT in the league.  Hold on to Chapman as a backup/rotational player.  

I know certain people here will tell you that NT doesn't matter because they only play a handful of snaps, but if you got better NT play, that would free up the LB's to come up to the line and make more stops in the running game. I'm not saying that D.Jax and Freeman don't need to be upgraded too but it really all starts with the NT. Chapman pretty much does the opposite of what a NT should do.

At DE I like Henry Anderson, Marcus Hardison, Michael Bennett, or Arik Armstead in the draft. An instinctive safety who can play in the box (as well as cover) like Tartt would also help stop the run as well.

Knighton was my first thought for a free agent signing.  he stuffed our running game in Jax for 4 years. He is still young enough to give 5-6 more years so it makes since to bring him here. He was pretty upset that Jax didnt try to resign him so that he may want to rejoin the AFC south to get some revenge.

That said if we sign him what about Stephone Anthony from Clemson in the 3rd round. He is very stout against the run and has a nasty streak 

Knighton was my first thought for a free agent signing. he stuffed our running game in Jax for 4 years. He is still young enough to give 5-6 more years so it makes since to bring him here. He was pretty upset that Jax didnt try to resign him so that he may want to rejoin the AFC south to get some revenge.

That said if we sign him what about Stephone Anthony from Clemson in the 3rd round. He is very stout against the run and has a nasty streak

I really like Anthony. Seems to me like he has great instincts. He can cover really well and is great as a blitzer.

With the free agent period and the draft coming in the next few months this is a priority 

I think it starts with the DT and with a three man front this man needs to be a force and nothing short. Without a "mean spirited" and high motor tackle it puts too much pressure on the gap to his weakside and requires a powerful middle line backing team.  

So those are three key players that contribute to run deficiencies the most,

Are any of those three players on the team now?  it looks like no and it needs to be a focus this offseason,

There is a lot of talk about signing Suh but that seems a very difficult signing 

Without this we will not win a title and this needs to be addressed ASAP

So who are the players in free agency and the draft that can be those three difference makers ?

Good grief! Arthur Jones is one of the best run stopping DT`s there is.

We played a high percentage of 4-2-5 with Redding as a DT and when he wasn`t getting knocked off the line he was going all out to pass rush and giving lanes in the running game.

And our ILB`ers had blockers they couldn`t shed on them way to often, and our safeties did a poor job supporting the run D. -see Landry, Pagano/Manusky concepts on that.

Nope, I was right... kinda. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10816723/rolando-mcclain-baltimore-ravens-retires-again

I guess he wasn't with the Ravens long enough for anything to matter... just his back and forth retiring, multiple arrests, and his miraculous change of heart once he was traded.

Pagano was already in Indy when McClain signed with the Ravens

Knighton was my first thought for a free agent signing.  he stuffed our running game in Jax for 4 years. He is still young enough to give 5-6 more years so it makes since to bring him here. He was pretty upset that Jax didnt try to resign him so that he may want to rejoin the AFC south to get some revenge.

He signed a cheap contract with Denver because he was an overweight underachiever in Jax.

NT is more important than ILB.  chapman hasnt been terrible but hes not a difference maker either.

the most important positions on a 3-4 are pass rusher,NT, then maybe corner and the rest of the line.  you can get away with having average guys at ILB and safety, but only if up front is taken care of. 

the problem is great NTs are very rare.  they should be high on our draft board

NT is more important than ILB. chapman hasnt been terrible but hes not a difference maker either.

the most important positions on a 3-4 are pass rusher,NT, then maybe corner and the rest of the line. you can get away with having average guys at ILB and safety, but only if up front is taken care of.

the problem is great NTs are very rare. they should be high on our draft board

ILB are also very important look at what Willis and Lewis did for their Ds

Chapman pretty much does the opposite of what a NT should do.

???

By the way, it's not that NT only plays 35 snaps a game. Obviously, if you can get a better 35 snaps from a different player, that's a good thing. It's that the difference in those 35 snaps needs to be considerable for you to really upgrade your defense. You go from average to slightly above average, and you're only really getting an impact on 1-2 plays per game.

The real question is whether the NT play is even an issue. Obviously, you think so, but I don't understand your angle here, hence the ???

NT is more important than ILB. chapman hasnt been terrible but hes not a difference maker either.

the most important positions on a 3-4 are pass rusher,NT, then maybe corner and the rest of the line. you can get away with having average guys at ILB and safety, but only if up front is taken care of.

the problem is great NTs are very rare. they should be high on our draft board

A position that's on the field 40% of the time is more important than a 3-down LB?

???

By the way, it's not that NT only plays 35 snaps a game. Obviously, if you can get a better 35 snaps from a different player, that's a good thing. It's that the difference in those 35 snaps needs to be considerable for you to really upgrade your defense. You go from average to slightly above average, and you're only really getting an impact on 1-2 plays per game.

The real question is whether the NT play is even an issue. Obviously, you think so, but I don't understand your angle here, hence the ???

I meant that if we had a NT that could push the center and guard back like they're supposed to, it would free up the LBs to be able to come to the line clean and make tackles. You can get away with average ILB play if the NT can occupy blockers and keep them from getting to the second level.