Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Caldwell To Be Fired If Colts Go 0-16

MoM

.... WE'RE TANKING THE SEASON FOR LUCK. The only reason Caldwell is still here is because of this on fact. Polians are safe because they sold this to Irsay. Question is, are the Polians smart enough to fire Caldwell before this becomes to obvious? I'd say as soon as we clinch the pick he is gone.
There's no need to TANK, we are in position to get the #1 pick. We wont beat Houston so if we win the other 2 games [which may not happen] we still getting Luck.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So when things are good it's the coaches and players and when they're bad it's the FO?

Actually in this particular case, a big Yes. (But just incase your refuting this because you think I'm pro Caldwell just no that I'm not lol)The FO set us up for this by not building a defense, and some busts(Players who don't live up) or misfires(Drafting a replacement and ignoring current holes). I really can't put it into my thought any better then I said above.

Really? I'd give a Kidney to keep him away. Can you explain your position, I'm curious.

At first, simply because hes a very very smart coach. The more I looked into him and his history the more it came ap parent that he is definitely a HCin the NFL.

He's an offensive minded coach, but imo he is a 10x better Head Coach then offensive coordinator. His skill set is actually more geared towards being a Head Coach. On our team, I look at our HC's as managers. They don't play call, they don't make personnel decisions, they just make sure the team is ready and doing there job on Sundays. With that being said, you don't need a dynamic play caller like a Jon Gruden/Norv Turner/etc... You don't need a HC/GM like Belichick/The Tuna/ Etc...

The things to be a good HC here in Indy are pretty simple,

Put together a good staff (Brian Billick had; Rex Ryan, Mike Nolan, Mike Smith, Jack Del-Rio, and Marvin Lewis on 1 single staff. Tell me he didn't do a great job)

Manage that staff (Keep them on top of it. Keep them from getting complacent and staying productive)

Keep the players playing hard, disciplined, and focused.

Brian Billick did the things mentioned above, and if you'd give your kidney to keep him out well, your just trolling.

The Green Bay Packers are a great team. They are loaded with talent, they are well coached, and they believe in themselves, and each other. Their defense isn't getting a lot of traditional stops, but they are forcing a lot of turnovers. Reminds me of the 2009 Saints team, really.

That's a valid question, but then the Patriots situation comes to light. They have had a lot of good players, but started letting them go before they would demand max, or retirement style contracts. They loaded up on draft picks as a result, but have yet to build a decent defense in the last five years, despite spending most of their picks there.

It's a delicate game, this team building thing.

Well I didn't say the pack were a bad team. In my determination of great and good, the team must be able to beat you in all phases to be great.

Really all I'm saying towards the team buildinng thing is until this seaso the offseason line has been skipped over. The defense line (EXCEPT FOR DE's) is stepped over every year, but continues to be the biggest weakness in the team even in casual viewers eyes.

Your very right, its not an easy thing to do, but there some underlying things going on that makes the fans uneasy. (Besides going 0-16 lol)

I don't disagree, I wouldn't have resigne him or Dallas or possibly even Peyton, you might have spent the money better, but what would the fans have said?

They didn't care when not keeping Mike Peterson, David Thorton, or Clint Session.

My stance on Peyton is different though. In no world would I ever let Peyton play somewhere else. He's our franchise, and just because we have a chance to get another QB doesn't mean we ditch our old boy. He got hurt 1 time in his 20 year football career and we are ready to watch him walk? Not I. Give Peyton a defense. Give Peyton an A.J. Green. Give Peyton back Edge, with some Guards.

Actually in this particular case, a big Yes. (But just incase your refuting this because you think I'm pro Caldwell just no that I'm not lol)The FO set us up for this by not building a defense, and some busts(Players who don't live up) or misfires(Drafting a replacement and ignoring current holes). I really can't put it into my thought any better then I said above.

At first, simply because hes a very very smart coach. The more I looked into him and his history the more it came ap parent that he is definitely a HCin the NFL.

He's an offensive minded coach, but imo he is a 10x better Head Coach then offensive coordinator. His skill set is actually more geared towards being a Head Coach. On our team, I look at our HC's as managers. They don't play call, they don't make personnel decisions, they just make sure the team is ready and doing there job on Sundays. With that being said, you don't need a dynamic play caller like a Jon Gruden/Norv Turner/etc... You don't need a HC/GM like Belichick/The Tuna/ Etc...

The things to be a good HC here in Indy are pretty simple,

Put together a good staff (Brian Billick had; Rex Ryan, Mike Nolan, Mike Smith, Jack Del-Rio, and Marvin Lewis on 1 single staff. Tell me he didn't do a great job)

Manage that staff (Keep them on top of it. Keep them from getting complacent and staying productive)

Keep the players playing hard, disciplined, and focused.

Brian Billick did the things mentioned above, and if you'd give your kidney to keep him out well, your just trolling.

I'd take Billick over Caldwell in a heartbeat.

BPs superbowl stats tell me something..

His teams go to the super bowl a lot. So he can draft talent.

His teams lose the super bowl a lot. He can't pick coaches.

Or does he purposely pick bad coaches?

discuss lol.

my coaching pick would be Zimmer

Isn't Marv Levy in the HOF? I also think tony D will be there at some point. Who was his coach in Carolina?

I don't think there is any way on earth that the Polians would hire Billick. He's being talked about as the next coach in Miami and has already said he is interested.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/16/billick-says-hed-be-interested-in-dolphins-job/

I for one don't understand why people want an offensive guy here when it's ungodly obvious we need a defensive minded guy running the show.

My choices would be......Mike Zimmer or Chuck Pagano.

I don't think there is any way on earth that the Polians would hire Billick. He's being talked about as the next coach in Miami and has already said he is interested.

http://profootballta...n-dolphins-job/

I for one don't understand why people want an offensive guy here when it's ungodly obvious we need a defensive minded guy running the show.

We had a defensive guy in Tony Dungy and our defense improved marginally at best during his time here. Billick was an offensive guy who had a great defense in Baltimore. What's the common theme there? We didn't invest nearly as much into our defense and the Raven's didn't invest all that much into their offense.

Which means that what the front office is willing to invest into one side of the ball has far more to do with the success of any given unit than the head coaches background.

To hear Brian Billick talk...he wont coach again unless he gets total player personell control..

I believe that could be said about most of the really big names or the ones with rings on their fingers like Gruden and Cowher.

I could see Gruden shying away from that just to work with Manning, but for the most part I believe most of them would want to buy the groceries.

Whoever is hired as coach, assuming Caldwell is let go, needs to be given control. If not the franchise is in real trouble.

This is a historically bad combination. Only coach in modern history who has been successful making personnel decisions is Bill Belichick, and he always had Scott Pioli. It's been pretty well documented that the Pats personnel decisions have suffered without Pioli's influence, not because Belichick can't do it, but because it's good to have another meaningful voice in the room.

It would be nice having a coach with the highest football IQ, one who can successfully organize a good OC, DC and have aggressive, creative gameplans. If the OC is good & the DC is good and all the coaches work well together I don't think it matters if the HC is offensive minded or defensive minded...

but somebody does need to fix our defense...

What about this guy

Winston Moss

75385896_display_image.jpg?1297870789

This is a historically bad combination. Only coach in modern history who has been successful making personnel decisions is Bill Belichick, and he always had Scott Pioli. It's been pretty well documented that the Pats personnel decisions have suffered without Pioli's influence, not because Belichick can't do it, but because it's good to have another meaningful voice in the room.

Not talking about personel decision, I am talking about coaching/game-planning/gameday decisions...

We need an excellent defensive coordinator, to be sure, but such a DC does not have to be the head coach. That's why you have a DC in the first place, for the HC to delegate defensive responsibility. Any HC, whether offensive or defensive oriented, can bring their attitude to the table and instill that onto the OC and the DC.

I think that the thought that in a certain situation the HC has to be either O of D oriented is a misnomer. The HC guides the DC and OC,b ut does not have to have a bias one way or the other. A good HC will get the job done, regardless.

As for a HC having total control, this I disagree with, the HC's job is to COACH. A great coach will do a great job with what he has available to him. A good GM will listen to what the coach has to say and take that under heavy sway, when making personnel decisions. TEAM is he concept.

Hopefully the Polians will be gone. Bill has gone to 6 superbowls and only won 1 and it's cause he had Peyton Manning...

Sorry but to put all the credit to PM for the superbowl is so way off base. The year we won the superbowl the defense led us through the playoffs. PMoney was only coming up with change in the playoffs.

Surely 1-15 won't be considered alright.

http://profootballta...lts-go-winless/

Caldwell is done. And from what I have gathered lately on 1070 AM, Dungy AND Caldwell were .... "IRSAY" hires! NOT Polian hires.

Very interesting ay... here is the link to PB Wilson's chat...

Ok, cyberwebz issues currently. But it is in this podcast log. Easy to locate. It's a 12/15 interview... and a 2 part one. First discusses Caldwell, Second Manning.

http://www.1070thefa...s.aspx?PID=2155

well worth the listen.

BB has been a colossal "failure" as "BIG CHEEZ" in NE since the "GM" was let go. NE has had how many draft picks since 08 or so... and how many have they hit on? Mayo is the only one I can think of.

BB has put NE in the same boat Indy is in... getting old... and running out of talent.

But to chime in on the OT... Yes it IS the best possible situation to have "multiple" opinions contributing in on matters of importance. Dungy "demanded" that kind of respect... Caldwell, probably just sat there and said ... "hmmm" ... "ya, that sounds like a plan Bill"... Truly Sad...

If you read my earlier posts, unless the head coach is going to be a coordinator aswell, then it doesn't matter. In Indy the Head Coach is more of a manager then anything. We need good coordinators, which Billick can obviously bring in the best. (Some of Billicks Coaching tree was posted earlier aswell)