Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Caldwell To Be Fired If Colts Go 0-16

MoM

Surely 1-15 won't be considered alright.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/14/report-caldwell-will-be-fired-if-colts-go-winless/

Two years after being within two games of an undefeated regular season, the Colts are within three games of a winless season. And if the Colts complete the feat, coach Jim Caldwell reportedly will be fired.

Per Jason La Canfora of NFL Network, sources close to the situation have said that “unequivocally” an 0-16 finish will cost Caldwell his job.

It’s no surprise. No coach should be able to survive an 0-16 season, regardless of any excuses that could be identified for the outcome — and regardless of whether it can be characterized as an aberration.

The only remaining questions at this point are: (1) whether Caldwell’s goose already is cooked, regardless of the final three games; (2) whether Caldwell would be fired before the end of the season in order to give a current member of the staff a test drive; and (3) whether the Polians will be fired, too.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the decision's been made, but 0-16 just means there's no room for discussion.

So, it's happening like some of us predicted. The contingent of anti-Colts "fans" will be silent, or find a way to spin this into a bad thing, despite the fact that they are getting what they wanted. Coyer gone, Caldwell gone, rebuild/retool mode initiated.

I love the media and their self-important view of the world. "Sources close to the situation" - there are three (maybe only two) people close to the situation. Irsay, Bill and Chris Polian are the only ones who truly know anything about Caldwell's future. No one else in the organization knowsanything about whether or not Caldwell will be fired. Unless LaCanfora was talking to Jim Irsay, this is nothing more than speculation. Predicting that a coach who goes 0-16 will be fired is about as easy as looking to the east early in the morning and saying that the sun will rise.

I am sure that some of you will think I'm nuts, but the Polians are more responsible for this season than Caldwell. They are the ones that evaluated the talent and signed the players.

I don't believe the coaching staff is entirely at fault.I believe they are decent staff stuck with the wrong tools for the job.What needs to happen is a total rebuilt of all three phases.Need different schemes than building the three phases around a quraterback position,nothing against Peyton.

The way the NFL is today,anything can happen and teams need to be adaptable,not stuck in one master strategy.

How can you keep a coach that goes 0-16? You just can't. He should have been fired earlier imo. I'm wondering what they'll do if they go 1-15? They should still fire him.

I said this in another thread - the idea that one victory this season saves his job is ridiculous. Either they have made the decision to let him go once the season is complete or they will keep him. Nothing that happens from here on out will change that.

While wins are important in a season like this you also have to look at other things. Did the team play hard? How did the coaching staff handle the problems and issues that come up in a season like this, what other options are out there if replacement happens and what kind of improvement would that be.

While wins are important in a season like this you also have to look at other things. Did the team play hard? How did the coaching staff handle the problems and issues that come up in a season like this, what other options are out there if replacement happens and what kind of improvement would that be.

No, Poorly and limitless!

No, Poorly and limitless!

When it comes to the Polians selecting their next head coach it is going to be limited to me because they are only going to look at a select few that fit the mold, also alot will be based off the direction the franchise is going over the next decade, are we going Peyton free or will we try to make 1 more run with Peyton.

I love the media and their self-important view of the world. "Sources close to the situation" - there are three (maybe only two) people close to the situation. Irsay, Bill and Chris Polian are the only ones who truly know anything about Caldwell's future. No one else in the organization knowsanything about whether or not Caldwell will be fired. Unless LaCanfora was talking to Jim Irsay, this is nothing more than speculation. Predicting that a coach who goes 0-16 will be fired is about as easy as looking to the east early in the morning and saying that the sun will rise.

I am sure that some of you will think I'm nuts, but the Polians are more responsible for this season than Caldwell. They are the ones that evaluated the talent and signed the players.

In complete honesty, the Polians are completely responsible for this, not Caldwell.

I'm not a Caldwell supporter, but its not because of him we are going to go 0-16/1-15/2-14/3-13. We went 14-2 with him, so even if it was because of Manning, he still did this. I doubt he's running things to much differently now that he did then. Therefor, if he can run the team and we go 14-2 potentially 16-0, then obviously there's another factor that forcing this team to go so low record wise.

Obviously that factor that changes is the Peyton Manning, but if you look at the bigger picture its personnel. Peyton is personnel, and if we say that the Colts don't have good enough personnel to prevent them from going winless. That is entirely on Polian.

In complete honesty, the Polians are completely responsible for this, not Caldwell.

I'm not a Caldwell supporter, but its not because of him we are going to go 0-16/1-15/2-14/3-13. We went 14-2 with him, so even if it was because of Manning, he still did this. I doubt he's running things to much differently now that he did then. Therefor, if he can run the team and we go 14-2 potentially 16-0, then obviously there's another factor that forcing this team to go so low record wise.

Obviously that factor that changes is the Peyton Manning, but if you look at the bigger picture its personnel. Peyton is personnel, and if we say that the Colts don't have good enough personnel to prevent them from going winless. That is entirely on Polian.

to me it's a 50/50 split. There is a good amount of talent on this team, not tons but enough to be a factor. What is missing is a good QB. If we even had an average QB the Colts would be looking at maybe 3-4 wins at this point in the season. Still not great, but better. This is a QB driven league and without someone who can move the ball and score points you are going to be horrible. Look at Chicago, they were winning games and on their way to the playoffs and now? Both the coaching staff and Polian either didn't allow Painter enough time to play and show he couldn't play or they were just clueless on him.

Actually, La Canfora was at the owners meeting. So it is very possible he talked with Irsay. Obviously there is no way we can know...just saying that there is smoke with this one. However, like you say, logic dictates that Caldwell is gone if they go 0-fer.

I would say it's 50% Polians/50% Caldwell as to whose fault it is. The players are still playing hard it seems to me, so I don't fault them. The "do what we do" mantra (aka, we don't need to change just need to get better) has ran this team into the ground this year, and that comes from both Polian and Caldwell.

If Caldwell is gone, I think Irsay will be more active in the coaching search this time around like he was with Dungy (Polian preferred someone else..cant remember who...but Irsay wanted Dungy). I think this means the coach will be able to assert himself more like Dungy who was not a puppet or yes man.

to me it's a 50/50 split. There is a good amount of talent on this team, not tons but enough to be a factor. What is missing is a good QB. If we even had an average QB the Colts would be looking at maybe 3-4 wins at this point in the season. Still not great, but better. This is a QB driven league and without someone who can move the ball and score points you are going to be horrible. Look at Chicago, they were winning games and on their way to the playoffs and now? Both the coaching staff and Polian either didn't allow Painter enough time to play and show he couldn't play or they were just clueless on him.

Oh yeah of course, but not having a QB isn't on Caldwell. That is the Polians to blame for that issue.

Am I saying that Caldwell is good? Lol no, but when the talent (Peyton) was there, no Colts fan was thinking anything below 9-7.

The underlying problem is we rely on Peyton way to much. Its a QB driven league because its hard to win without one, not you should gear your team to be weak if you don't have one.

Example, Matt Ryan gets drafted by the Falcons. They had a running game, and an established defensive identity. Mark Sanchez (who sux I know), they run the ground and pound or w/e, and use there defense. They don't win solely on there QB. Then there's the Baltimore Ravens in 2000, who everyone knows didn't have a QB, but still won.

You win and loose with QB play, but if you don't lean on the QB so hard then when hes gone you can still compete. With Peyton we are not a 0-16 team because we are geared to be what we are. Score non stop, play prevent. Obvious stuff, but we aren't loosing now because we are a bad team, we are loosing because we are not flexable. This team runs one way and one way only, and that way is revolved around Peyton.

Oh yeah of course, but not having a QB isn't on Caldwell. That is the Polians to blame for that issue.

Am I saying that Caldwell is good? Lol no, but when the talent (Peyton) was there, no Colts fan was thinking anything below 9-7.

The underlying problem is we rely on Peyton way to much. Its a QB driven league because its hard to win without one, not you should gear your team to be weak if you don't have one.

Example, Matt Ryan gets drafted by the Falcons. They had a running game, and an established defensive identity. Mark Sanchez (who sux I know), they run the ground and pound or w/e, and use there defense. Then there's the Baltimore Ravens in 2000, who everyone knows didn't have a QB, but still won.

You win and loose with QB play, but if you don't lean on the QB so hard then when hes gone you can still compete. With Peyton we are not a 0-16 team because we are geared to be what we are. Score non stop, play prevent. Obvious stuff, but we aren't loosing now because we are a bad team, we are loosing because we are not flexable. This team runs one way and one way only, and that way is revolved around Peyton.

What you are suggesting is that we stay with Peyton..who is the offense in the respect that its all in his head..

..and draft one who thinks like him (Luck, or Boise's Kellen Moore) someone who calls plays at the line and can accept and impliment what Manning does...

If we do that....then..while we can fail in other ways...this kind of total QB-based meltdown cant happen for, at least 4 years,...

Example, Matt Ryan gets drafted by the Falcons. They had a running game, and an established defensive identity. Mark Sanchez (who sux I know), they run the ground and pound or w/e, and use there defense. They don't win solely on there QB. Then there's the Baltimore Ravens in 2000, who everyone knows didn't have a QB, but still won.

Look at both the Pats and Packers this year. Neither team have any kind of running game, both have defensives with HUGE question marks. Both teams are where they are due to 1 person, their QB. When you have the talent that they have and we have/had with Peyton, it is able to hide many other problems and you can be successful.

What you are suggesting is that we stay with Peyton..who is the offense in the respect that its all in his head..

..and draft one who thinks like him (Luck, or Boise's Kellen Moore) someone who calls plays at the line and can accept and impliment what Manning does...

If we do that....then..while we can fail in other ways...this kind of total QB-based meltdown cant happen for, at least 4 years,...

I wasn't suggesting that we follow through with what we are doing. Actually if I was suggesting anything, it was to stop relying on Peyton so much.

I wasn't suggesting that we follow through with what we are doing. Actually if I was suggesting anything, it was to stop relying on Peyton so much.

I think the great teams rely on their QB a lot...

WE didnt intend to have no backup..It just worked that way..

The plus - side of our deep reliance on Peyton Manning is that we can beat anybody on any day because, like a Michael Jordan, he may simply be unstoppable that day..

and wasnt Baltimore the last team that won without an all-pro QB?

The rules contiune to change quickly favoring the passing game.

I believe teams will routinely throw 50 times a game in the next few years..

..what we did was overrate (and not prepare adequately) our back ups..

Look at both the Pats and Packers this year. Neither team have any kind of running game, both have defensives with HUGE question marks. Both teams are where they are due to 1 person, their QB. When you have the talent that they have and we have/had with Peyton, it is able to hide many other problems and you can be successful.

So we should just ignore every other part of the team except for having HOF qb's because of Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady? Btw, thats what we have been doing, and its not working so well when hes down.

When Brady went down, they did have a defense, and Cassel wasn't inept. We haven't seen the Pack without a HOF QB, so who knows. The Indianapolis Colts win and loose with Peyton Manning. That is why you can plug in any WR/TE and see them produce. Without him, well someone took the motor out of our corvette and put a golf cart engine in it.

So we should just ignore every other part of the team except for having HOF qb's because of Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady? Btw, thats what we have been doing, and its not working so well when hes down.

When Brady went down, they did have a defense, and Cassel wasn't inept. We haven't seen the Pack without a HOF QB, so who knows. The Indianapolis Colts win and loose with Peyton Manning. That is why you can plug in any WR/TE and see them produce. Without him, well someone took the motor out of our corvette and put a golf cart engine in it.

It's a risk you take, and out of say 12 years, it worked for 11 of those...you wouldn't take those odds?

I think the great teams rely on their QB a lot...

WE didnt intend to have no backup..It just worked that way..

The plus - side of our deep reliance on Peyton Manning is that we can beat anybody on any day because, like a Michael Jordan, he may simply be unstoppable that day..

and wasnt Baltimore the last team that won without an all-pro QB?

The rules contiune to change quickly favoring the passing game.

I believe teams will routinely throw 50 times a game in the next few years..

..what we did was overrate (and not prepare adequately) our back ups..

The only part of this post I disagree with is that great teams rely on there QB's alot. The problem I have is, a great team, isn't 1 player. Being able to execute in every aspect of the game, makes you a great team.