Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ngata could be released, reports Baltimore Sun

Suh is NOT a NT. He plays DT in a 4-3

Could he be a NT? ........maybe

You don't pay 15-20 mil for a maybe

He probably projects to 3-4 DE

We need a NT....

I would try to get Ngata..... If available and the price is right

He was the best NT for several years earlier in his career.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suh is NOT a NT. He plays DT in a 4-3

Could he be a NT? ........maybe

You don't pay 15-20 mil for a maybe

He probably projects to 3-4 DE

We need a NT....

I would try to get Ngata..... If available and the price is right

Suh is 6'4"/304lb...quite capable of being a destructive DT in a 3-4 scheme.

Instead of signing Suh, I wonder would it be financially feasible to sign Ngata and Terrance Knighton at the same time?  Grigs usually likes arrangements where he can get 2 or multiple players for the price that you would normally pay for one guy.  Not sure how realistic this scenario is with Knighton and Ngata, but I'd love it if we could.

Signing two guys for the price of one? Since when? Grigson has overpaid a handful of free agents since he came here.

Instead of signing Suh, I wonder would it be financially feasible to sign Ngata and Terrance Knighton at the same time?  Grigs usually likes arrangements where he can get 2 or multiple players for the price that you would normally pay for one guy.  Not sure how realistic this scenario is with Knighton and Ngata, but I'd love it if we could.

I'd like Knighton but he's probably going cost some big money.  Not nearly as much as Suh, but he won't be cheap.  

dont want gnata with a big contract. he has been hurt a lot lately and has the drug thing and is getting older, all red flags. i thought suh was the best defensive player i have ever seen in college football, and it isn't even close! but he will cost too much. i only want to break the bank with luck. i REALLY like knighton depending on the price. i have a bigger problem with the colts ilb's than the dl.

Not sure how to link it, but thought interesting considering how Pagano likes his ravens. Could be released to save money if new deal can't be worked. Personally would prefer him over Suh, mainly less baggage with big difference maker on the defensive front.

I would prefer him over Suh because of 2 reasons.  Less money, better character.  I believe we would have a better shot at getting him also with Pagano having ties with Baltimore.  I actually can see this signing happening, although IDK if it will.  It would definitely clean up alot of our problems.

Signing two guys for the price of one? Since when? Grigson has overpaid a handful of free agents since he came here.

Haloti Ngata: $12m/year, $27m guaranteed

Art Jones: $6.6m/year, $16m guaranteed

RJF: $5.5m/year, $8.5m guaranteed

Total: $12.1m/year, $24.5m guaranteed

Grigson has been much more likely to sign a lower rated guy to save money than to break the bank on a premium talent. And that basically works out to 2 for the price of 1.

Grigson has been much more likely to sign a lower rated guy to save money than to break the bank on a premium talent. And that basically works out to 2 for the price of 1.

Let me ask you.  Do you think we could feasibly sign Terrance Knighton and Haloti Ngata for the price of what Ndamakong Suh would cost alone. Or do you think it would cost more?

Fill me in or whatever I'm missing.  I was just thinking it over.

Yep..and I understand when we had a lot of wholes to fill to get us a balanced/competitive team...but where we are now...possibly the difference in stopping the run ala Baltimore did against NE and us could be a player like Ngata. I like Jones....RJF to me was a reach at that price but I again understand what he has done...that said I wouldn't be opposed for paying upfront on a guy like Ngata for 2 or 3 years of a 5 yr contract and then opting out later. As sick as I am of taking the Ravens cast offs Ngata is one worth looking at for sure if he was to hit the market.

Which would you rather have?

Let me ask you.  Do you think we could feasibly sign Terrance Knighton and Haloti Ngata for the price of what Ndamakong Suh would cost alone. Or do you think it would cost more?

Fill me in or whatever I'm missing.  I was just thinking it over.

Yes, I do. Maybe less. I don't see either of those guys getting more than $7m/year. 

By the way, Ngata might not even be going anywhere. 

RJF would in all probability be cut if Ngata was signed. Most of that guaranteed money is now off the books.

Anyway ... all that would be left in dead money is 625 K in prorated bonus for 2015 and 2016. So save around 5 mill if cut in 2015.

RJF would in all probability be cut if Ngata was signed. Most of that guaranteed money is now off the books.

Anyway ... all that would be left in dead money is 625 K in prorated bonus for 2015 and 2016. So save around 5 mill if cut in 2015.

Yeah, I'd be fine with that.

I doubt he's released. He could force his way out of town and get more money, but I think the Ravens could easily adjust his contract and tack a couple extra years on.

Yeah... my last post sounded like I was thinking he'd be released. On the contrary.. I also think he stays in Balt

From what I read the Raves are CASH STRAPPED.       And it is up H Ng to take less.    IF he is not willing ...  Balt is likely going to be forced to release him.        

These are the webs that BIG QB contracts weave...        I would love to have HN and Art on this DL...   WOW.. .

Yeah... my last post sounded like I was thinking he'd be released. On the contrary.. I also think he stays in Balt

It's  not up to the RAVENS...  it is up to the player.     Will he take less?    The Ravens signed a contract...    pay it.  

I really think this is a 50/50 deal.      and if HN is on the market...  go get him.

I doubt he's released. He could force his way out of town and get more money, but I think the Ravens could easily adjust his contract and tack a couple extra years on.

It's  not up to the RAVENS...  it is up to the player.     Will he take less?    The Ravens signed a contract...    pay it.  

I really think this is a 50/50 deal.      and if HN is on the market...  go get him.

Not sure what you mean. If the Ravens want to cut him, they'll cut him. That action is provided for in their contract.

Balt is asking HN to take a "pay cut" which could mean anything...    If HN says NO...    Baltimore has a choice to make.

This is all on the player. 

Not sure what you mean. If the Ravens want to cut him, they'll cut him. That action is provided for in their contract.

Not sure why anyone thinks he has to take a pay cut. He's in the last year of his sea. he's due a base salary of 8.5 and has a prorated bonus hit of 7.5. So his cap hit is 16 mill , which is probably too high. He only just turned 31 , so they just extend 3-4 yard and get his cap hit to something they can swallow. Easiiy done without costing Ngata a dime. So they no doubt keep him if they feel he has even 2-3 good years left.

Just reading that its reported Ravens are telling him to take a pay cut. If true what I have above is a no go.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/update/25061865/report-ravens-tell-haloti-ngata-to-take-pay-cut-or-be-released

Balt is asking HN to take a "pay cut" which could mean anything...    If HN says NO...    Baltimore has a choice to make.

This is all on the player. 

negotiation: mutual discussion and arrangement of the terms of a transaction or agreement

Not sure why anyone thinks he has to take a pay cut. He's in the last year of his sea. he's due a base salary of 8.5 and has a prorated bonus hit of 7.5. So his cap hit is 16 mill , which is probably too high. He only just turned 31 , so they just extend 3-4 yard and get his cap hit to something they can swallow. Easiiy done without costing Ngata a dime. So they no doubt keep him if they feel he has even 2-3 good years left.

Just reading that its reported Ravens are telling him to take a pay cut. If true what I have above is a no go.

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfootball/update/25061865/report-ravens-tell-haloti-ngata-to-take-pay-cut-or-be-released

I didn't realize you had missed the first part of the thread.

But I think your post still stands. They could easily move that $8.5m around and reduce his cap hit with an extension, if they wanted. If not, and they just want him to write down his salary in 2015 with nothing promised in the future, then that's a different story. I just find it hard to believe that they'd just push him out the door without offering a multi-year option.

yes, with one side getting what they want.   ...  

HN want's his money NOW....    Balt  wants him to be patient.         

CAP implications.. .      How much does Balt want HN?   

negotiation: mutual discussion and arrangement of the terms of a transaction or agreement

I didn't realize you had missed the first part of the thread.

But I think your post still stands. They could easily move that $8.5m around and reduce his cap hit with an extension, if they wanted. If not, and they just want him to write down his salary in 2015 with nothing promised in the future, then that's a different story. I just find it hard to believe that they'd just push him out the door without offering a multi-year option.

Truthfully , I think it makes no sense that they are telling him he's not worth 8.5 mill per year unless they just want to let him go. IMO , it's probably a beat writer that is reported something incorrectly. Anyway , 8.5 is not a bad salary for Ngata and IMO he for sure would walk rather than take a pay cut. I mean it's possible they are looking at the cap and figuring it's best to let him go but I would guess it's not the case

Truthfully , I think it makes no sense that they are telling him he's not worth 8.5 mill per year unless they just want to let him go. IMO , it's probably a beat writer that is reported something incorrectly. Anyway , 8.5 is not a bad salary for Ngata and IMO he for sure would walk rather than take a pay cut. I mean it's possible they are looking at the cap and figuring it's best to let him go but I would guess it's not the case

They have an $8.5m salary, on top of $7.5m prorated bonus. It's the $16m cap hit that they have a problem with, I'm sure. And him being in the final year of his deal, they can save nearly half of that.

They have an $8.5m salary, on top of $7.5m prorated bonus. It's the $16m cap hit that they have a problem with, I'm sure. And him being in the final year of his deal, they can save nearly half of that.

Agree , they can get his cap hit down to where they want as long as they feel they want him for around the next 3 years. If they are actually saying they want him to take a salary reduction , then what they are really saying is "we want to say adios."  That of coarse is JMO. 

The problem for the Ravens is they are not going to give a 31 year old 18 million. They have Timmy Jernigan ready to go. That being said, Ngata is very valued in Baltimore, and if he wants to remain a Raven, he will have to spread out money like Suggs did. If not, maybe he would go with Coach Chuck. Wouldn't want to see him go, but you can't pay out that kind of money to linemen over 30.