Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which Would You Rather Have.

SubZero

Out of these three positions which would you rather have.

A dymanic RB: A lightning fast running back who is crazy elusive. Who has great vision, can out run angles, and who is tought to bring down.

A monster DT: Who can take on double teams, domimates the run game, and is a great pass rusher.

A shut-down CB: A CB with good size and great speed. He can completely shut down WRs in man coverage and can read plays in zone.

Me personally would rather have a great DT

A dymanic RB: A lightning fast running back who is crazy elusive. Who has great vision, can out run angles, and who is tought to bring down.

A monster DT: Who can take on double teams, domimates the run game, and is a great pass rusher.

A shut-down CB: A CB with good size and great speed. He can completely shut down WRs in man coverage and can read plays in zone.

I would want the corner, but not if he is going to play 10 yards off the receiver.

the dt all day long. If you can get after brady, brees, a-rod they are not "great" anymore.

with freeney and mathis, the great dt would hide the lack of top corners with great qb pressure. one great corner would just have teams throw to the other receivers. manning will solve any offensive problems.

The line and secondary work off each other. Good pressure causes the QB to throw early, which makes it easier on the DBs. Good coverage makes the QB hold the ball longer, giving the linemen more time to get a sack. Having a shut down CB could hide poor DT play while having good DT play could hide poor CB play. With the team the way it is now, I would rather take a shut down CB. Nevis has played decently at DT and we still have Foster who will come back next year, Moala who has shown he has potential, and AJ, who is arguably our most consistent DT

The line and secondary work off each other. Good pressure causes the QB to throw early, which makes it easier on the DBs. Good coverage makes the QB hold the ball longer, giving the linemen more time to get a sack. Having a shut down CB could hide poor DT play while having good DT play could hide poor CB play. With the team the way it is now, I would rather take a shut down CB. Nevis has played decently at DT and we still have Foster who will come back next year, Moala who has shown he has potential, and AJ, who is arguably our most consistent DT

You are correct in saying that, but does a shutdown CB shut down a RB? On most occasions, no. If we are facing an outside zone type team, perhaps an elite CB would make a difference in run support. But a dominant DT will disrupt both the pass and the run on a consistent basis.

Edit: Also, Nevis does have tremendous potential, but that's all it is at this point. Foster is not a good DT. He is a decent pass rushing DT, but he is too small to make a difference in the run game. Moala is very inconsistent, shows flashes of his 2nd round worth at times but is god awful at others. There is stats out there that I read on StampedeBlue (SB didn't come up with the stats, they just reported it) that ranked Moala as one of the worst DTs in the league. And AJ is consistent but average at best. DT can definitely use an improvement.

You are correct in saying that, but does a shutdown CB shut down a RB? On most occasions, no. If we are facing an outside zone type team, perhaps an elite CB would make a difference in run support. But a dominant DT will disrupt both the pass and the run on a consistent basis.

A shutdown CB, if used properly, can be a catalyst for your defense. One of the reasons why Rex Ryan's defenses blitz so successfully is because Revis is there covering the best receiver. The QB gets pressured and his reflex is to throw the ball to his go to guy, who happens to be covered by the best CB in the game. That'll usually result in an incompletion or a pick. And a corner like Revis also helps in run support too. And this year, our LBs have been tackling well from what I've seen. Our run defense stats would be better if they didn't drop back 5 yards on every play

A shutdown CB, if used properly, can be a catalyst for your defense. One of the reasons why Rex Ryan's defenses blitz so successfully is because Revis is there covering the best receiver. The QB gets pressured and his reflex is to throw the ball to his go to guy, who happens to be covered by the best CB in the game. That'll usually result in an incompletion or a pick. And a corner like Revis also helps in run support too. And this year, our LBs have been tackling well from what I've seen. Our run defense stats would be better if they didn't drop back 5 yards on every play

qb's will look for the best match-up, not their #1 wr if a top corner is taking him out of the game. this is why one great cb isn't as big as the colts having incredible pressure on the qb, making average cb's look very good.

Nevis does have tremendous potential, but that's all it is at this point. Foster is not a good DT. He is a decent pass rushing DT, but he is too small to make a difference in the run game. Moala is very inconsistent, shows flashes of his 2nd round worth at times but is god awful at others. There is stats out there that I read on StampedeBlue (SB didn't come up with the stats, they just reported it) that ranked Moala as one of the worst DTs in the league. And AJ is consistent but average at best. DT can definitely use an improvement.

agreed!

can you be a shut down corner 10 yards off the line of scrimmage?

Polian has already stated that the Colts(prevent) defense requires it's corners to play back to prevent the deep pass, while giving up 5-10 yard passes.

With this in mind, why would you waste a high draft pick on a cover corner??

Edit: Also, Nevis does have tremendous potential, but that's all it is at this point. Foster is not a good DT. He is a decent pass rushing DT, but he is too small to make a difference in the run game. Moala is very inconsistent, shows flashes of his 2nd round worth at times but is god awful at others. There is stats out there that I read on StampedeBlue (SB didn't come up with the stats, they just reported it) that ranked Moala as one of the worst DTs in the league. And AJ isconsistent but average at best. DT can definitely use an improvement.

Colts starting DT's:

Moala-" gawd awful".......Johnson- "consistently average"

Yep, that about sums it up

Colts starting DT's:

Moala-" gawd awful".......Johnson- "consistently average"

Yep, that about sums it up

Moala isn't as bad as advertised. I don't think it's reasonable to judge a defensive tackle on his stats. Every time I watch for Moala, he has an impact on the game. He created significant pressure up the middle on both of Freeney's sacks on Sunday, and on Mathis' pressure, and he was being double-teamed all three times. He's not going to anchor your line, but anyone who is calling him one of the worst in the league probably has an agenda. Which is why I don't read StampedeBlue anymore.

qb's will look for the best match-up, not their #1 wr if a top corner is taking him out of the game. this is why one great cb isn't as big as the colts having incredible pressure on the qb, making average cb's look very good.

Let's say the offense keeps a TE in to block. They come out in a 3 WR-1TE-1RB set. The tight end and right tackle will double up on Mathis. The left tackle and RB will double Freeney. Our other DTs have been average, but haven't been able to beat double teams. So one guard blocks one DT and the guard and center double up on the other DT. Now our monster DT has been neutralized. However, the only way to neutralize a shutdown CB is to not throw the ball his way. And if he is covering your best receiver, then you don't throw the ball to your best receiver and you end up neutralizing him too. Sure, you would be able to send in a free blitzer, but if the pass coverage is weak, the QB will exploit it and beat us regardless

Let's say the offense keeps a TE in to block. They come out in a 3 WR-1TE-1RB set. The tight end and right tackle will double up on Mathis. The left tackle and RB will double Freeney. Our other DTs have been average, but haven't been able to beat double teams. So one guard blocks one DT and the guard and center double up on the other DT. Now our monster DT has been neutralized. However, the only way to neutralize a shutdown CB is to not throw the ball his way. And if he is covering your best receiver, then you don't throw the ball to your best receiver and you end up neutralizing him too. Sure, you would be able to send in a free blitzer, but if the pass coverage is weak, the QB will exploit it and beat us regardless

I'm a bit unconventional in this regard. I think you should throw at a shutdown corner. They can't cover your best receiver every down. You hit them with a double-move, a rub route, anything, and you'll catch them slipping. Now all of a sudden there's a * (I can't say ch-ink?) in their armor, and that's not a no-go matchup for you anymore. We did this a few years ago (2007?) against the Raiders and Nnamdi Asomugha, and he held Reggie in check for much of the game, but we kept throwing at him, and I believe we finally got Reggie a big first down catch on the game-winning drive.

Not saying you should be reckless, but I don't think you should just let them take your best receiver out of the game. I'd have preferred that we went to Reggie on the last pass play of the Jets playoff game last year, rather than Blair White. You go to your best guy, and if he can't make the play, you kick the field goal. But at least you give your #1 the chance to help you win the game.

I'm a bit unconventional in this regard. I think you should throw at a shutdown corner. They can't cover your best receiver every down. You hit them with a double-move, a rub route, anything, and you'll catch them slipping. Now all of a sudden there's a * (I can't say ch-ink?) in their armor, and that's not a no-go matchup for you anymore. We did this a few years ago (2007?) against the Raiders and Nnamdi Asomugha, and he held Reggie in check for much of the game, but we kept throwing at him, and I believe we finally got Reggie a big first down catch on the game-winning drive.

Not saying you should be reckless, but I don't think you should just let them take your best receiver out of the game. I'd have preferred that we went to Reggie on the last pass play of the Jets playoff game last year, rather than Blair White. You go to your best guy, and if he can't make the play, you kick the field goal. But at least you give your #1 the chance to help you win the game.

It's risky. When your receiver isn't open, it's a huge risk throwing to him. You could argue that Reggie is old and doesn't have the same moves as he used to, but Revis kept guys like Andre Johnson in check too.

It's risky. When your receiver isn't open, it's a huge risk throwing to him. You could argue that Reggie is old and doesn't have the same moves as he used to, but Revis kept guys like Andre Johnson in check too.

Yeah, I don't think you lock in on him and throw to him regardless. I'm just saying you can't ignore him. Can't throw to him just once in an entire game. If you have a chance to end the game on a first down completion for two yards, you might want to run the play for him instead of a practice squad player. Make him earn his reputation every week.

Yeah, I don't think you lock in on him and throw to him regardless. I'm just saying you can't ignore him. Can't throw to him just once in an entire game. If you have a chance to end the game on a first down completion for two yards, you might want to run the play for him instead of a practice squad player. Make him earn his reputation every week.

Yeah, I agree with you. And Reggie agrees too haha

Edit: Also, Nevis does have tremendous potential, but that's all it is at this point. Foster is not a good DT. He is a decent pass rushing DT, but he is too small to make a difference in the run game. Moala is very inconsistent, shows flashes of his 2nd round worth at times but is god awful at others. There is stats out there that I read on StampedeBlue (SB didn't come up with the stats, they just reported it) that ranked Moala as one of the worst DTs in the league. And AJ is consistent but average at best. DT can definitely use an improvement.

Agreed

Revis has shown flashes of being human this season, because NY lacks a pass rush! A dominant DT can affect both the passing and run game and is involved in every play of the game. I would choose Nagta or Suh over Revis. Pressure causes turnovers, pressure stops the run in the backfield, pressure causes picks and fumbles.

this is a passing league. teams don't just have one top wr and the rest garbage. teams throw the ball to everyone. one cb only takes away one wr.

in your scenario, the colts would have 6 players to cover 2 wr's. you can double both wr's send a free lb, and still have a lb to pick up anyone releasing from the backfield.

the great dt has a greater impact on the whole team and there are VERY few of them.

A DT that can do all of those things is a rare commodity. There's usually only 3-4 of them in the entire league at a given time, and they cost a truck-load of money.

Good CB's don't usually cost as much, but without a decent D-line, it becomes backyard football out there. Dre Kirkpatrick would be a good pick, as he plays a lot of zone too. He is especially adept at closing quickly to either swipe/pick the ball, or make the tackle immediately.

A HB is/should be the cheapest now, as they are a dime-a-dozen.

for me is DT hands down, and not even close.

just look at the sb giants..they secondary wasnt espectacular, but their Dline created havok, mainly tuck inside and osi/kiwanuka/strahan outside. dline can hide your secondary, not the other way around IMO.

for me is DT hands down, and not even close.

just look at the sb giants..they secondary wasnt espectacular, but their Dline created havok, mainly tuck inside and osi/kiwanuka/strahan outside. dline can hide your secondary, not the other way around IMO.

Then the phrase 'coverage sack' shouldn't exist.

Defensive tackle and it isn't even really close. Even Jacob Lacey will look like a shut down corner when the QB has a 300lb beast in his face right up the middle.
I would take a beast of a DT, someone that will force the QB to run out of the pocket

thats my point :)