Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

deflated footballs and some other observations

theanarchist

I see now that NFL has confirmed they are looking into the fact that several game balls were found to be under-inflated during the game last night. Obviously that would not account for losing by 38 points. What it does do is confirm the lengths that the bellechick regime will go in order to try to get an advantage.

Speaking of advantage. How about the personal foul call on Freeman for his LEGAL hit on Brady? Happens all the time with this guy. He gets the benefit of the officials. Luck got smoked in very similar fashion later in the game and there was no call. I get sick of seeing this kind of one sidedness when it comes to Brady and the officiating. I also thought that early in the game when Brady started a slide near a first down he get one heck of a generous spot and SIMMs even mentioned it. Also get at least a yard benefit on another 1st down near the sidelines. I think that was Edelman.

Anyway, glad to see that the Patriots and Belechick haven't broken form by cheating(however minor the infraction may or may not be).

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roughing the passer needs to be reviewable. That one penalty was iffy, but from the angle the ref had, in real  time, what he seen was the helmet snap back, and the crown of the tacklers helmet in the general vicinity of bradys head/neck. On the Colts defensive stand near the end of the first half, I thought any one of those passes could of been called for PI if the refs were being picky, but they were letting the players play, which is a good thing. 

Overall, I thought it was one of the better ref'd games of the playoffs.

I see now that NFL has confirmed they are looking into the fact that several game balls were found to be under-inflated during the game last night. Obviously that would not account for losing by 38 points. What it does do is confirm the lengths that the bellechick regime will go in order to try to get an advantage.

Speaking of advantage. How about the personal foul call on Freeman for his LEGAL hit on Brady? Happens all the time with this guy. He gets the benefit of the officials. Luck got smoked in very similar fashion later in the game and there was no call. I get sick of seeing this kind of one sidedness when it comes to Brady and the officiating. I also thought that early in the game when Brady started a slide near a first down he get one heck of a generous spot and SIMMs even mentioned it. Also get at least a yard benefit on another 1st down near the sidelines. I think that was Edelman.

Anyway, glad to see that the Patriots and Belechick haven't broken form by cheating(however minor the infraction may or may not be).

I also noticed on the QB sneak there was no forward progress for a good 2-3 seconds. Yet no whistle. I have never seen so much time given to a team to get some extra yards. That was a pretty big one. Not that the colts would have scored afterwards.

While we can agree that the deflated balls wasn't the reason the Colts were blown out, it does further question the ethics of the entire Patriots organization, again, if true.  Plus, what else are they doing that no one knows about?  How else are they cheating?  On talk radio today, a caller suggested the Patriots will stop at nothing to win - would that even involve placing listening devices in opposing locker rooms?  Listening in on team communications during the game? 

Agree. I stated that. It does show the lengths that bellechick will go to gain an advantage by not playing within the rules.

Exactly. I don't even want a rematch but there's NO excuse for cheating and it should disqualify you for the year if caught. Do you think it was a mistake that their ineligible receiver didn't report in? I highly doubt it.

Exactly. I don't even want a rematch but there's NO excuse for cheating and it should disqualify you for the year if caught. Do you think it was a mistake that their ineligible receiver didn't report in? I highly doubt it.

If found to be true I would expect they will lose some draft picks

I commented on that a couple times....forward progress was well stopped but they let them go until they got the first then blew the whistle

I've never seen such bull. But then again I wonder if we'd get the same time if we'd actually make an effort to push our runner forward. We never do it, every other team does it often.

One question, which is hotly debated out on other forums:

Do the teams play with separate balls?  

I was under the impression that the Colts and Pats condition their balls how they like (there's a joke in there somewhere) whether that be through buffing or rubbing or scuffing.  Then there must be some sort of identifier on the balls which signify which balls are prepared for the Colts on offense and for the Pats on offense, right?  

So, it is conceivable that only the Patriots footballs were under-inflated to improve their handling of the football in the rainy conditions, right?

On other forums, posters are saying there's just one big pool of balls and both teams use the same set of balls.  

Edited by 21isSuperman

Don't, by now, you think it is in Belichick's DNA to seek every possible advantage? If it involves cheating..... meh. So what the heck, It's not the deed. It's not the thought. It's if you get caught. 

In his DNA, he seeks every possible advantage...legit or not.

I'm sure psychologists must have a syndrome named for this!

Even if it was true, the deflated balls isn't the reason we loss the game. The secondary and the o-line were good all playoffs. Below average play from the front 7 and Luck is why we loss 4 straight games to the Patriots. It all starts with Luck, if he keeps turning the ball over against this team were never going to beat the Patriots. 

That one penalty was iffy, but from the angle the ref had, in real time, what he seen was the helmet snap back, and the crown of the tacklers helmet in the general vicinity of bradys head/neck

This is a joke right? In the "general vicinity of Bradys head/neck"? Freeman put his face mask squarely in Bradys numbers. It was a horrible call. And if it has been anyone on the Pats hitting Luck that way with a penalty call I'd say the same thing.

This is a joke right? In the "general vicinity of Bradys head/neck"? Freeman put his face mask squarely in Bradys numbers. It was a horrible call. And if it has been anyone on the Pats hitting Luck that way with a penalty call I'd say the same thing.

Was a terrible call. And what's worse is that Luck gets hit late all the time, and it's almost never called.

The thing with cheating is that you never know for sure how much it helped. That's one reason why it is far beyond time for the pats to actually be punished. They are cheaters, plan and simple. Did that make us lose yesterday? I have no idea. Doesn't really matter. Time for the league to disqualify teams who cheat. Even if the patriots win the Super Bowl this year, they will officially have won ZERO in the Brady era without cheating.

A lot of Pats fans think this is being used as an excuse for the poor play of the Colts. It is not an excuse. It's a pointing out the Patriots will use every possible means to get an advantage no matter if it's ethical or not. All I can say is Karma will return the favor.

Agreed.  It was a horrible call and another case of Mike Carey saying something like "it's absolutely a penalty as he lead with the crown"... and he says this at the same time the super slow motion is clearly showing that he *didn't* lead with the crown.  This Carey guy is  a total clown, I really hope he is dropped.

On a similar note, didn't the hit on Studebacker seem like an illegal blindside block.  Simms kept commenting about what a great legal block it was.   Maybe I don't understand the rule on that call, but I've seen it called on hits where the blocker is further out in front than Bolden was on that block.

While we can agree that the deflated balls wasn't the reason the Colts were blown out, it does further question the ethics of the entire Patriots organization, again, if true. Plus, what else are they doing that no one knows about? How else are they cheating? On talk radio today, a caller suggested the Patriots will stop at nothing to win - would that even involve placing listening devices in opposing locker rooms? Listening in on team communications during the game?

It starts with Robert Kraft.

That guy is really shady.

It made my skin crawl when Jeff Saturday was hugging all over him during the lockout.

Agreed. It was a horrible call and another case of Mike Carey saying something like "it's absolutely a penalty as he lead with the crown"... and he says this at the same time the super slow motion is clearly showing that he *didn't* lead with the crown. This Carey guy is a total clown, I really hope he is dropped.

On a similar note, didn't the hit on Studebacker seem like an illegal blindside block. Simms kept commenting about what a great legal block it was. Maybe I don't understand the rule on that call, but I've seen it called on hits where the blocker is further out in front than Bolden was on that block.

Agree on all points.

I'd have to see a replay of the blind side block to see if it was indeed "blind sided" but it is illegal.

The roughing the passer was a joke.

Mike Carey is useless. I cannot believe he was a referee. Actually, it explains a lot.

Let the whining begin!

I'm not whining. As a friend of mine pointed out, why not cheat? There is no disadvantage to cheating, even if it's just deflating balls so your team can grip it better. The NFL has no way to compensate for a team cheating. If they prove the balls were deflated what's going to happen? NFL slaps their hand again with maybe taking a late round pick. Big deal