Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson must have his best draft yet this year

peytonmanning18

We had 5 picks in the last draft. New England usually has 10 picks.

Yeah.. I addressed the Trent Richardson deal and said it was horrible. The other "lost pick " was a 4th rounder to move up in the 2013 draft for Hughes. You can't fault trading a future draft pick to secure a player in the present draft , that's part of the GM's latitude he's given in the process. Didn't work out too well in that case but if you go to the 2012 draft , it was a similar move that netted us TY Hilton. NE secures draft picks by moving down and trading picks in the" present " draft in order to secure picks in future drafts. This really doesn't have a thing to do with "committing" to the draft , it's just a different philosophy in working the draft process.  Teams also get multiple picks through the compensatory picks. We haven't had too many of these sine Grigson's first draft as we've been signing more free agents than we lose.

BTW this year we have 8 or 9 picks I believe. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 21, 2015 - obnoxious posting/trolling
Hidden by Nadine, January 21, 2015 - obnoxious posting/trolling

Grigson sucks.  This team needs an experienced GM.  This guy is another failed experiment along the way.  

The fact of the matter is, the NFL is a small multi-billion dollar entertainment corporation that benefits its 10,000 employees.  People need to put their energies into making our communities better.  The NFL exists for entertainment purposes only.  I recently joined this forum to briefly express my opinion on a few topics.  I am surprised at how long it takes to make a few comments.  I see there are some *s on this forum who have made 1,000+ comments.  What  a bunch on sad schmucks... get a life *s.  Put your lives to better use; volunteer that time to make life better for others.b

Here's looking forward to getting banned from the pitiful circus that is the life of following a profession (semi-) sports team on this forum.  

Get real.

This front office has made some bone-headed moves, the king said moves is bringing in Trent Richardson.   Grigson is in Jeapardy. 

Grigson's strength seems to be finding these under-sized diamond in the roughs.  That's not going to get it done anymore.  He needs to find some big, strong, hard nosed kids.  But it also seems to me that the Colts need better player development.  Player development is one of the ways in which the Patriots separate themselves from everyone else.  Their coaching makes their players better - I'm not seeing that with the Colts on as consistent a basis

This front office has made some bone-headed moves, the king said moves is bringing in Trent Richardson.   Grigson is in Jeapardy. 

I feel he is in dire jeopardy, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him gone. Our last two 1st rounders didn't even play in the AFCCG for cripes sake. If that isn't a proper metric to gauge a GM's worth, I don't know what is. 

He's had successes, but these most recent failures dim the light quite a bit. 

Grigson sucks. This team needs an experienced GM. This guy is another failed experiment along the way.

The fact of the matter is, the NFL is a small multi-billion dollar entertainment corporation that benefits its 10,000 employees. People need to put their energies into making our communities better. The NFL exists for entertainment purposes only. I recently joined this forum to briefly express my opinion on a few topics. I am surprised at how long it takes to make a few comments. I see there are some *s on this forum who have made 1,000+ comments. What a bunch on sad schmucks... get a life *s. Put your lives to better use; volunteer that time to make life better for others.b

Here's looking forward to getting banned from the pitiful circus that is the life of following a profession (semi-) sports team on this forum.

Get real.

This post is a joke

I feel he is in dire jeopardy, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him gone. Our last two 1st rounders didn't even play in the AFCCG for cripes sake. If that isn't a proper metric to gauge a GM's worth, I don't know what is. 

He's had successes, but these most recent failures dim the light quite a bit. 

According to this article, Irsay was a little ticked off talking to Griggs.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2015/01/19/doyel-colts-still-have-way-to-go-before-they-are-super/21989565/

I see Redding replacement in Newsome.  Jackson did his best and is somewhat strong against the run, but his days are numbers.  LaRon is no where near what he use to be.  If Mathis comes back to what he use to be before the injury.  That is a first round pick.  Get a Strong Safety in the first round somebody that was ESPN daily top 10, a Running Back in the second round somebody that was on ESPN daily top 10.  A speed rush LB in the third round.  

Edited by 21isSuperman

Grigson sucks.  This team needs an experienced GM.  This guy is another failed experiment along the way.  

The fact of the matter is, the NFL is a small multi-billion dollar entertainment corporation that benefits its 10,000 employees.  People need to put their energies into making our communities better.  The NFL exists for entertainment purposes only.  I recently joined this forum to briefly express my opinion on a few topics.  I am surprised at how long it takes to make a few comments.  I see there are some *s on this forum who have made 1,000+ comments.  What  a bunch on sad schmucks... get a life *s.  Put your lives to better use; volunteer that time to make life better for others.b

Get real.

Climb down off your soap box. How people use their time, and whether they volunteer or not should be none of your concern. On top of that it doesn't take that long to read through the threads and make a few posts (and that adds up over years); most people can easily do it during down time at work, during breaks,lunch, etc .... some people even have this amazing "new gadget" phone, but you can get on the internet with it .... while they are waiting in line, or in a lobby for an appointment, or maybe even while they are waiting for whatever they are volunteering for to start.  Its called multitasking, you should try it unless you find walking while chewing gum challenging, in which case start slowly ...baby steps.  I am sure everyone will miss all that you brought to the forum in your short time here!

I see Redding replacement in Newsome.  Jackson did his best and is somewhat strong against the run, but his days are numbers.  LaRon is no where near what he use to be.  If Mathis comes back to what he use to be before the injury.  That is a first round pick.  Get a Strong Safety in the first round somebody that was ESPN daily top 10, a Running Back in the second round somebody that was on ESPN daily top 10.  A speed rush LB in the third round.  

I personally wouldn't want to draft a running back in the 2nd round.  This team needs to get tougher in the trenches on both sides of the ball.  

I totally agree with that but they really need a STUD back also..    

It does wonders for an average OL.     ....     See Ahmad Bradshaw.

I am going all D and hit RB once in this draft and deal with WR and OL in FA...

I personally wouldn't want to draft a running back in the 2nd round.  This team needs to get tougher in the trenches on both sides of the ball.  

Is that what you meant to write,  or did you accidentally get a name wrong there?

Redding is a 300 pound lineman.    Newsome is a 250 pound linebacker.      One is not going to replace the other.....

Is that what you meant to write,  or did you accidentally get a name wrong there?

Redding is a 300 pound lineman.    Newsome is a 250 pound linebacker.      One is not going to replace the other.....

You're right as far as Redding one thing this defense needs a hard hitting strong safety.  That is normally found in the first round these days.  Remember 2006 Bob Sanders, dude made up for what that Def. couldn't do. Can you image if we had him last Sunday evening how different things would be today.Second round this team needs a solid game breaking RB, guys like Gordon, Gurley, or the RB coming out of Neb. or IU, somebody everybody knows.  If there are any OL's coming out of Wisconin this year the Colts need to draft them.  Then at the fifth or sixth round pick up short quick WR, that the kind of guy that normally have big games against the Colts.

Seattle just finished extending a bunch of defensive players . They pretty much have all their core players under contract for the next 4-5 years. They have 3 elite DB's signed long term. Their LT , Anvil just signed , Bennett just resigned. Unger has a 5 mill base in 2016. Wilson and Luck will have similar contracts , where the Colts have no where near the high priced talent the Seahawks have. If you understand the cap , then you would know we will be shedding huge $'s in the next couple years with no dead money hits. Maybe you did look at this and understand it.. I don't know. Your post seems to say that we only will have the draft to rely on because we will be hurting for cap room with Lucks deal. maybe that's not what you meant. Dunno... What I do know is that Lucks cap hit in the next few years will be something between 16- 20 mill. It's 6 now and was scheduled to be 7 in 2015. So it's maybe 10 mill more next year ? Big deal .. how much are we under the cap next year ? I understand that you understand .. but for those that don't .. a contract that averages 24-25 mill will not have that kind of hit in the early years of the contract. In the later years is when you have possible "problems." Maybe the cap doesn't go up as much as anticipated and you then have to get into the restructuring mode.

under the cap 29 million.  $29,572,141  total cap next year $109,027,859   defense 2015 ,$64,157,794 and offense 

$39,033,798

On the OL I agree with you.  The DL can get tougher all they want but the problem with this Def. there is no strong safety with hitting skills.  I thought LaRon was the one looking at his you tube videos, but he doesn't have it anymore.  Drop LaRon today and draft Bob Sanders like safety. 

Grigson needs to get our first rounder correct. I think he's been great at adding periphery players and value picks.

Agree.  That's probably the biggest reason why we aren't ready to take that next step.  Missing by a round is one thing.  Completely whiffing is a huge setback - and we did it with 2 consecutive 1st round picks.

under the cap 29 million.  $29,572,141  total cap next year $109,027,859   defense 2015 ,$64,157,794 and offense 

$39,033,798

I was asking him to consider how much we were under the cap , not asking. But good that you posted it. That figure has Donald Thomas at over 3 mill and I'm sure there's a carry over from this year also. So I think the 29 is conservative.

If Grigson doesn't find some value in the first round this season then I would get rid of him. You can't take the opportunity to get a starting quality player and flush it season after season. He walked into Luck, now he needs to prove that he can evaluate talent on his own.

A failed project player and a failed trade on his last 2 drafts look very bad. Polian started to miss quite often onnhsi first round picks towards the end but he had earned himself a lot more rope then Grigson has. He needs to show he can do the job this season or he needs to go, you can't waste Luck's career on bad drafts and horrible trades because the odds are stacked against the next Colts QB being anywhere near as good as Peyton and Luck.

I don't have much faith in Grigson's drafting anymore.

He will use the 1st couple of picks to reach for some overrated D clowns for Coach Chuckles' Monstrosity and then grab some second rate talent for the offense in the middle/late rounds...and end up overall with mediocre players across all rounds.

NaPolian still had the best idea...draft the skill-position guys who touch the ball first off (with the exception of a top pass-rusher)...then fill in your other 'need' positions as best you can.

I don't have much faith in Grigson's drafting anymore.

He will use the 1st couple of picks to reach for some overrated D clowns for Coach Chuckles' Monstrosity and then grab some second rate talent for the offense in the middle/late rounds...and end up overall with mediocre players across all rounds.

Like Hilton, Allen, Ballard, Moncrief and Holmes?  Jury still out on Thornton

NaPolian still had the best idea...draft the skill-position guys who touch the ball first off (with the exception of a top pass-rusher)...then fill in your other 'need' positions as best you can.

yeah that was the right idea...that's how the Colt OL got progressively worse every year.  Good call! :thmup:

If Grigson doesn't find some value in the first round this season then I would get rid of him. You can't take the opportunity to get a starting quality player and flush it season after season. He walked into Luck, now he needs to prove that he can evaluate talent on his own.

A failed project player and a failed trade on his last 2 drafts look very bad. Polian started to miss quite often onnhsi first round picks towards the end but he had earned himself a lot more rope then Grigson has. He needs to show he can do the job this season or he needs to go, you can't waste Luck's career on bad drafts and horrible trades because the odds are stacked against the next Colts QB being anywhere near as good as Peyton and Luck.

again, you mean like Hilton, Allen, Ballard, Moncrief, Holmes, Fleener, Mewhort, Newsome, Brazill etc etc?

again, you mean like Hilton, Allen, Ballard, Moncrief, Holmes, Fleener, Mewhort, Newsome, Brazill etc etc?

Hilton is the best of the bunch, outside of Indy nobody else would really be impressed with the rest. Some could develop into good players, but a couple of tight ends and a running back who was serviceable the one season he played out of 3 really isn't all that impressive.

Its great that he did what everyone else in the world wanted him to do and drafted Luck. Fleener was kinda a gimme too since he was Lucks favorite college target and we needed a tight end. Allen was rated higher then Fleener by many experts so I will give him partial credit for him. Hilton was a great pick. Ballard isn't anything at this point, honestly he was pretty average then got injured all the time. He wasn't a bad pick, but he isn't really something you can hang your hat on either. Brazill is nothing, where is he now ?

Werner was a huge mistake, Trent was also. So that's 2 first round picks wasted on a project and a bust.

Moncrief might be great or he might flop, he shows promise though.

Mewhort and Newsome might be serviceable, but will never be stars.

He needs a good draft, his first one was excellent, but now its time to show that it wasn't a fluke and that he can find talent and it doesn't have to be handed to him like Luck was.

I was going to post a longer reply to hit more of your points but then I read the above statement.  If you truly believe that then I have no desire to continue a conversation.  Mewhort and Newsome both just finished their first years in the league.  No one, not even you, knows what their ultimate ceiling will be at this very early stage in their careers.

You hate Grigson...that's fine.  That's your prerogative, though I suspect it largely hinges on the one transaction that brought Trent to the Colts.  Had it not been for that one move I bet you would currently have a very different opinion of Grigson.

You're right as far as Redding one thing this defense needs a hard hitting strong safety.  That is normally found in the first round these days.  Remember 2006 Bob Sanders, dude made up for what that Def. couldn't do. Can you image if we had him last Sunday evening how different things would be today.Second round this team needs a solid game breaking RB, guys like Gordon, Gurley, or the RB coming out of Neb. or IU, somebody everybody knows.  If there are any OL's coming out of Wisconin this year the Colts need to draft them.  Then at the fifth or sixth round pick up short quick WR, that the kind of guy that normally have big games against the Colts.

A solid, game breaking RB, someone that everybody knows out of college.... Why does this sound so familiar.... didn't we trade a 1st round pick for someone like that a couple of seasons ago?.... Trent something...?.... 

Yeah, how'd that work out..........? RB's are a dime a dozen these days.... anyone drafting a RB before the 3rd round is taking a huuuuuuuge risk.

Hilton is the best of the bunch, outside of Indy nobody else would really be impressed with the rest. Some could develop into good players, but a couple of tight ends and a running back who was serviceable the one season he played out of 3 really isn't all that impressive.

Its great that he did what everyone else in the world wanted him to do and drafted Luck. Fleener was kinda a gimme too since he was Lucks favorite college target and we needed a tight end. Allen was rated higher then Fleener by many experts so I will give him partial credit for him. Hilton was a great pick. Ballard isn't anything at this point, honestly he was pretty average then got injured all the time. He wasn't a bad pick, but he isn't really something you can hang your hat on either. Brazill is nothing, where is he now ?

Werner was a huge mistake, Trent was also. So that's 2 first round picks wasted on a project and a bust.

Moncrief might be great or he might flop, he shows promise though.

He needs a good draft, his first one was excellent, but now its time to show that it wasn't a fluke and that he can find talent and it doesn't have to be handed to him like Luck was.

You know who else was quoted as a "never be a star" type player, who was coincidentally drafted in the same round as Newsome.... Robert Mathis.....

Hilton and  V. Davis are really his only "gold stars"

Fleener and Allen were "give mes" in the draft, that still have some things to prove. 

Ballard - Liked him for one year, who knows where he would be now ... not enough info to make a call

Moncrief looks like he could develop into a gold star -fingers crossed-

Mewhort - same as above

Holmes - So far "eh" ...  He's a big question mark still ... hasn't done anything to really impress me 

Newsome - Showed some flashes and I am really hoping he can make the jump, but I think a lot of people are jumping the gun on him a little ... some of those highlights came when he was completely unblocked.

Brazill - Where is he???

I am not ready to fire him, but IMO he really needs to nail FA and this draft this year or Irsay needs to at least consider moving on from him.

A solid, game breaking RB, someone that everybody knows out of college.... Why does this sound so familiar.... didn't we trade a 1st round pick for someone like that a couple of seasons ago?.... Trent something...?.... 

Yeah, how'd that work out..........? RB's are a dime a dozen these days.... anyone drafting a RB before the 3rd round is taking a huuuuuuuge risk.

I'm not here to defend Trent something.  I think we both can see that was a mistake on so many levels.  I was thinking of some guy that the Colts got in the first round, I THINK HIS NAME WAS EDGERRIN SOMETHING?  If the Colts got a running back that could make play action work.  This Offense would be unstoppable.  If the Colts are ever going to stand up to New England you got to have the right players. Boom, Tipton, Trent something is not going to work.  Neither is Bjorn, LaRon, and Werner.    

I'm not here to defend Trent something.  I think we both can see that was a mistake on so many levels.  I was thinking of some guy that the Colts got in the first round, I THINK HIS NAME WAS EDGERRIN SOMETHING?  If the Colts got a running back that could make play action work.  This Offense would be unstoppable.  If the Colts are ever going to stand up to New England you got to have the right players. Boom, Tipton, Trent something is not going to work.  Neither is Bjorn, LaRon, and Werner.    

Play action does not require a 1st round RB to work .... you don't think a play action to Boom or Tipton would do what it was designed to do if we were able to run the ball effectively and consistently?  Fixing the OL is the key to establishing a solid running game, which allows for an effective play action pass.  Boom and Tipton are likely not the answer at RB even with a better OL, but there are plenty of capable RBs that can be had later in the draft that would be more than capable of of being the starting/lead RB in our rotation ... if we fix the OL.

.... A Bjorn and a Werner ??? You are right we definitely don't need 2.