Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kind words for the Colts from NFL.com

NewColtsFan

This is from one of their writers,  Elliott Harrison.    He does their weekly power rankings.   This week, we're fourth.    But it's Harrison's props he hurls our way that caught my eye....

Read, and enjoy!

Huge props to the Colts' defense, which held the Broncos below their regular-season averages by 17 points and 115 yards.  How cool is it to see an NFL team tackle well?  In this age of leading with the helmet and grab, grab, grab, coordinator Greg Manusky's defense put together a practicum on tackling in Denver.  Seriously, high school coaches should show that game tape to their kids.  Don't show a high school quarterback film of Andrew Luck's impossibly good throws, though.  He very well might quit football.

I'm a truck driver. Every Monday I deliver in Denver. Monday my guys told me- yes, they realize I'm a Colts fan, but obviously the Broncos weren't coached well or prepared for all know the Colts couldn't belong on the same field if the Broncos wanted to play!

I reminded them the Colts secondary shut down their receivers. And that the Colts have played the Broncos three times in the last two years, and BEAT Denver in two of those, only lost the other one by one score. Pretty impressive, to me!

Except on that one run by Anderson...

But an otherwise great job!

I had a chance to rewatch the game last night, and that 4th and 1 was only a hair less frustrating the second time.  During the initial viewing I don't ever think I've yelled "NOOOOO" so loud at an inanimate object before (that, being my tv).  Take out that play and it really was a clinic on tackling across the board.  

Except on that one run by Anderson...

But an otherwise great job!

Werner seemed to pull up thinking Redding had him, when he should have came in to finish him off. I think everyone gave up on the play. From one angle you can even see Vontae just standing and watching.

Baffling

that play was just an outstanding play by an outstanding RB who was in a desperate mode, he earned that play by his abilitys not the lack of our D, he will be good years to come, the only thing that got to me was Werners angle on the play he was so off he ran into Redding, if he set himself and had the right angle he could have made he tackle before Landry even go there. That was a baaad down for Werner

that play was just an outstanding play by an outstanding RB who was in a desperate mode, he earned that play by his abilitys not the lack of our D, he will be good years to come, the only thing that got to me was Werners angle on the play he was so off he ran into Redding, if he set himself and had the right angle he could have made he tackle before Landry even go there. That was a baaad down for Werner

So it was a bad down for Werner but Landry gets a pass because it was "an oustanding play by an outstanding RB"? Did I get that right?

So it was a bad down for Werner but Landry gets a pass because it was "an oustanding play by an outstanding RB"? Did I get that right?

Landry was the 2nd leading tackler that game - 8 total and 5 solo.  Only Jackson had more tackles. 

Landry had a few bad plays but it's football, the other guys get paid too.  You are going to win some battles and you're going to lose some battles.

Aside from Denver's opening drive and the missed tackle on the 4th and 1, Landry had a very solid game at his position. 

There were several plays where he was targeted but played tight coverage and forced an incomplete pass.  He also made a very big difference in stopping Denver's running game.  His tackling statistics reflect his activity around the ball. 

taking nothing away from Anderson and he may very well be good for the next few years but that was the text book way not to tackle by Laron Landry. You don't tackle someone by their shoulder pads there are not too many RB's that wouldn't have broken Landry's attempt at a tackle.

Werner seemed to pull up thinking Redding had him, when he should have came in to finish him off. I think everyone gave up on the play. From one angle you can even see Vontae just standing and watching.

Baffling

Vontae and Toler were out there just standing.  Vontae eventually saw what was happening and reacted, meanwhile Toler (still just standing there) looked like he was having a conversation with Sanders about good places to eat after the game or something.

http://heavy.com/sports/2015/01/denver-broncos-c-j-anderson-converts-4th-down-run-video-indianapolis-colts-afc-playoffs-divisional-round/

Redding whiffed but slowed him down enough to where Werner and the others should have been able to get to him.

Werner took a bad angle and was slow to react and whiffed.

Landry went too high for the tackle and was shrugged off.

Davis and Toler had their BACK TURNED to the play... If you ask me, much of the fault lay with them.  Its 4th and 1 and they aren't engaged in what is going on at the LOS?  They could have been in on that tackle with Landry and stopped him. 

That whole play was an example of how NOT to play a 4th and 1 situation.  I hope Davis and Toler got chewed another bunghole for that.

Vontae and Toler were out there just standing.  Vontae eventually saw what was happening and reacted, meanwhile Toler (still just standing there) looked like he was having a conversation with Sanders about good places to eat after the game or something.

http://heavy.com/sports/2015/01/denver-broncos-c-j-anderson-converts-4th-down-run-video-indianapolis-colts-afc-playoffs-divisional-round/

Redding whiffed but slowed him down enough to where Werner and the others should have been able to get to him.

Werner took a bad angle and was slow to react and whiffed.

Landry went too high for the tackle and was shrugged off.

Davis and Toler had their BACK TURNED to the play... If you ask me, much of the fault lay with them.  Its 4th and 1 and they aren't engaged in what is going on at the LOS?  They could have been in on that tackle with Landry and stopped him. 

That whole play was an example of how NOT to play a 4th and 1 situation.  I hope Davis and Toler got chewed another bunghole for that.

After looking at video Mr. Blueblood posted, I have no problem with Davis' role on that play.  Toler on the other hand wasn't even paying attention.

Vontae seemed to be reacting as Landry was hitting him -- Anderson moved totally side-to-side and it does look like he might try to bounce that all the way to the outside -- where Vontae was positioned (and it looks like he was paying attention) he was the last guy on the outside -- if he pursued in and Anderson ran around him he could have had that whole sideline to run down.

Baffling

You may be correct.  Not that's it's an excuse (because I don't think it is excusable) but with how the refs are so flag happy now I'm sure a lot of players think about they don't want to get a 15 yard penalty.  Look at the Dal/GB game... that GB lineman got a 15 yard penalty because he blocked a guy BEFORE the whistle blew.  

You may be correct.  Not that's it's an excuse (because I don't think it is excusable) but with how the refs are so flag happy now I'm sure a lot of players think about they don't want to get a 15 yard penalty.  Look at the Dal/GB game... that GB lineman got a 15 yard penalty because he blocked a guy BEFORE the whistle blew.  

I agree and that call in the GB game was complete bull!

taking nothing away from Anderson and he may very well be good for the next few years but that was the text book way not to tackle by Laron Landry. You don't tackle someone by their shoulder pads there are not too many RB's that wouldn't have broken Landry's attempt at a tackle.

Exactly.

If he or anyone else tries to tackle Gronksky like that, we are going to be in big trouble. 

I'm a truck driver. Every Monday I deliver in Denver. Monday my guys told me- yes, they realize I'm a Colts fan, but obviously the Broncos weren't coached well or prepared for all know the Colts couldn't belong on the same field if the Broncos wanted to play!

I reminded them the Colts secondary shut down their receivers. And that the Colts have played the Broncos three times in the last two years, and BEAT Denver in two of those, only lost the other one by one score. Pretty impressive, to me!

realisticly outside of the first half in the season opener this yes the Colts have pretty much domanated Manning's Broncos in their three meetings with him. They have been a very good match up for the Colts.