Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay press conference 3:30 pm EST

MTC

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear his thoughts. I do think this news conference could have waited until the team was eliminated...if they get eliminated.....Sort of like a bring the fan base back to reality type speech with the "how far we come deal" because of the massive overreactions that will follow if we get eliminated. Otherwise I'll just go with the no news is good news approach

I'm amused at everyone who waited for this presser with bated breath and are sorely disappointed.

Usually press conferences are to announce something important though.  Not just to shoot the breeze.  

I mean if shooting the breeze is all it takes, I think I should have a press conference this evening at 5.  I mean I have 2 babies one 17 months the other 1 month. . . I probably have a lot more interesting stuff to talk about then Irsay just did.

Well....On a related note....Something like this does cause a person to re-evaluate ones life a little bit......Sitting in front of a computer screen hanging on pins and needles wondering what the news is...When the news could have been summed up in 2 sentences...Hey we came a long way over the last 3 years and need to play our best game yet vs the Broncos, They have a ton of talent. Well played Jim, you get me every time

Usually press conferences are to announce something important though. Not just to shoot the breeze.

I mean if shooting the breeze is all it takes, I think I should have a press conference this evening at 5. I mean I have 2 babies one 17 months the other 1 month. . . I probably have a lot more interesting stuff to talk about then Irsay just did.

I have no idea what he talked about because I didn't see it. However, I feel certain that he had it in part because media people have been trying to contact him to get his thoughts on Luck vs. Manning III. Why do lots of individual interviews if you can have a press conference and get it done at once?

Well....On a related note....Something like this does cause a person to re-evaluate ones life a little bit......Sitting in front of a computer screen hanging on pins and needles wondering what the news is...When the news could have been summed up in 2 sentences...Hey we came a long way over the last 3 years and need to play our best game yet vs the Broncos, They have a ton of talent. Well played Jim, you get me every time

well some of us (like myself) have to be sitting in front of the computer screen anyway (at work) so that helped break up the monotony of an otherwise boring Tuesday afternoon....a little lol

Honestly,  I'm sorry Irsay held this press conference.    What good did it do?    Nothing as far as I can tell.

But the headlines from the media are....  "Irsay says Colts closer to title."      Well THANKS for that, Jim.

Especially going on the road as the underdog.     What does he say if we lose?

I think on the risk/reward scale there was too much downside and not enough upside for doing this today.

Honestly,  I'm sorry Irsay held this press conference.    What good did it do?    Nothing as far as I can tell.

But the headlines from the media are....  "Irsay says Colts closer to title."      Well THANKS for that, Jim.

Especially going on the road as the underdog.     What does he say if we lose?

I think on the risk/reward scale there was too much downside and not enough upside for doing this today.

I don't think there's any risk to the owner holding a press conference. 

Honestly, I'm sorry Irsay held this press conference. What good did it do? Nothing as far as I can tell.

But the headlines from the media are.... "Irsay says Colts closer to title." Well THANKS for that, Jim.

Especially going on the road as the underdog. What does he say if we lose?

It's who Irsay is. And stunts like this are the reason I dislike him as a person.

It's another stunt to "get into Peyton's head" just like je did last time. And I'm sure if he wasn't suspended earlier this season he would have done it then too. I guess he truly believes opening the roof on a 50 degree day really bothered Peyton.

If that's what he believes, then I guess let him. If anyone thinks this press conference is held if we were playing Brady they are lying to themselves.

It's who Irsay is. And stunts like this are the reason I dislike him as a person.

It's another stunt to "get into Peyton's head" just like je did last time. And I'm sure if he wasn't suspended earlier this season he would have done it then too. I guess he truly believes opening the roof on a 50 degree day really bothered Peyton.

If that's what he believes, then I guess let him. If anyone thinks this press conference is held if we were playing Brady they are lying to themselves.

I wouldn't want my owner tweeking Belichick and Brady before the game. I think you are right, as this pattern keeps repeating itself, and he thinks he's getting into Manning's head. He even brought up about QB injuries and heading downhill at 38. Maybe it will work, but jeez, Peyton visited the man when he was in the hospital.

It's either that, or he wants validation for his vision. I think most fair minded fans understand the decision he had to make and get Luck, while letting Manning go , with a risky recovery from injury ahead.

I know I'll be blasted for this opinion, but I listened to the press conference, and that is my reaction. I think he's done a good job of laying low since his suspension, and I'm on record saying he's done an admirable job as owner, but I really don't get the need for this press conference.

I wouldn't want my owner tweeking Belichick and Brady before the game. I think you are right, as this pattern keeps repeating itself, and he thinks he's getting into Manning's head. He even brought up about QB injuries and heading downhill at 38. Maybe it will work, but jeez, Peyton visited the man when he was in the hospital.

It's either that, or he wants validation for his vision. I think most fair minded fans understand the decision he had to make and get Luck, while letting Manning go , with a risky recovery from injury ahead.

I know I'll be blasted for this opinion, but I listened to the press conference, and that is my reaction. I think he's done a good job of laying low since his suspension, and I'm on record saying he's done an admirable job as owner, but I really don't get the need for this press conference.

If i were you i would worry more about the lies your owner told in front of the cameras not long ago

At least he's got the hazing part already taken care of 

Thanks for the diversion Lollygager. Your clip was more entertaining than that entire press conference. I've never seen the cannon ball 1 where the human gets thrown across the water like skipping rocks. 

I'm taking a shot every time he says "umm"

Jim actually restricted his Um usage quite well. Way to go Mr. Irsay! I'm proud of you for that. It actually made this event watchable. 

This streaming video: 

Cat-Falls-Asleep.gif

Exactly...It's a good thing I wasn't operating heavy machinery while watching that too. 

Yeah Fx, I agree what in the world was the point of all that anyway? Okay, Jim praised Bowlen, Manning, Elway, Luck, Grigs, & Pags. I like all those guys & respect them sure, but why waste almost 30 minutes to tell me absolutely nothing? 

Look Jim, I love you as an owner because you are committed to winning championships, listen to your fanbase, & you are well versed in football, but there was really no need to hold this press conference & tell your audience nothing. JMO. 

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 7, 2015 - rude
Hidden by Nadine, January 7, 2015 - rude

All of this.

He is also a bit of a megalomaniac. He enjoys the spotlight.

He could be much worse, though .

If i were you i would worry more about the lies your owner told in front of the cameras not long ago

Fair enough on your opinion, but I think Mr. B shot it pretty straight. It's certainly fair game the Ravens front office made mistakes in the Rice saga, but it's not like Mr. B wanted to give a press conference. He likes to stay out of the limelight .

I just don't get the reason for the press conference. Why rehash that old stuff again when no one in Indy or Denver wanted to talk about it, or bring it up. That's all I'm saying.

Unbelievable, comparing Luck to Elway and not Manning, and again bringing up the one ring disappointment with Manning. I'm stunned.

Well Luck does compare to Elway much more so than to Manning.  As a fan of the Colts I too am disappointed in only getting one Superbowl win with Manning, but that is more on Polian.

Well Luck does compare to Elway much more so than to Manning. As a fan of the Colts I too am disappointed in only getting one Superbowl win with Manning, but that is more on Polian.

I understand that also , but we'd all like to have more. The Ravens wasted great defensive teams in 2002, 2006, and lost a heartbreaker in 2011 on a dropped pass which would have sent them to the Super Bowl. They we up another year 21-7 on Pittsburgh and blew that, and the Steelers went on to win in I think , 08. That's four years right there we could have had rings. New England should have beaten the Giants both times , one in an undefeated regular season off a lucky catch. I understand the Colt fan and Mr. Irsay's disappointment , but he's not the only owner or fan that feels that way. You just can't dwell on it, it's part of history and the team that should have won, won it that year.

I just don't get the reason for the press conference. Why rehash that old stuff again when no one in Indy or Denver wanted to talk about it, or bring it up. That's all I'm saying.

All the stuff about Manning was in response to questions he was asked. So... it's not true that no one in Indy wanted to talk about it.

All the stuff about Manning was in response to questions he was asked. So... it's not true that no one in Indy wanted to talk about it.

I'm sure the press wanted to bring up some of that muck, which is why I would have avoided the press conference if I were him. I'm not sure I see the benefit of it for the Colts .

I'm sure the press wanted to bring up some of that muck, which is why I would have avoided the press conference if I were him. I'm not sure I see the benefit of it for the Colts .

It's a press conference. In what situation is there ever any material benefit to the team? If that's the standard, no one should ever do a press conference.

It's a press conference. In what situation is there ever any material benefit to the team? If that's the standard, no one should ever do a press conference.

Who knows, bulletin board fodder ? Not that big of a deal, but odd timing. Why a press conference before the Manning game and not Cincy ? Always an interesting character.

I enjoyed listening to him. It didn't bother me there was no major reason for the press conference, just Mr. Irsay wanting to chat and brag a little. You can tell he knows his football and his team though.

That is the interesting thing I see. There is a need to tell people about all the division championships and one Super Bowl win, and how clear and farsighted his vision was with Manning and Luck, when he merely made the most logical decision. I guess if he wants to toot his own horn that's fine, but people will generally tell you when you're doing a good job, you don't have to keep rehashing your successes. If he wants to do that, it's fine with me, but if you happen to lose the Denver game, you have a bit of egg on your face. That being said I believe the Colts will win in Denver.

That is the interesting thing I see. There is a need to tell people about all the division championships and one Super Bowl win, and how clear and farsighted his vision was with Manning and Luck, when he merely made the most logical decision. I guess if he wants to toot his own horn that's fine, but people will generally tell you when you're doing a good job, you don't have to keep rehashing your successes. If he wants to do that, it's fine with me, but if you happen to lose the Denver game, you have a bit of egg on your face. That being said I believe the Colts will win in Denver.

I hope you are right. I really want Ravens vs. Colts.

I hope you are right. I really want Ravens vs. Colts.

Trust me, I would love to see this. We would be the underdogs again in Indy, and like Pittsburgh, history would be against us. I'm sure everyone in Indy would like to see us, instead of going to NE, and I don't blame them. That being said, a trip to Indy beats elimination in NE. It won't be easy.