Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay press conference 3:30 pm EST

MTC

Hi-lite for me was him talking about the amazing talents of Andrew Luck & John Elway and how they can take a game over ...

And then Irsay brought into that discussion Bert Jones, my all-time favorite. He was truly one of the greats, but because of a career brought to an end prematurely, most don't know how truly great he was. Sooooo cool to hear Irsay mentioning him in the same breath as Elway and Luck.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi-lite for me was him talking about the amazing talents of Andrew Luck & John Elway and how they can take a game over ...

And then Irsay brought into that discussion Bert Jones, my all-time favorite. He was truly one of the greats, but because of a career brought to an end prematurely, most don't know how truly great he was. Sooooo cool to hear Irsay mentioning him in the same breath as Elway and Luck.

The Bert Jones led colts never won a playoff game. He was very talented, but wasn't great

The Bert Jones led colts never won a playoff game. He was very talented, but wasn't great

The only thing keeping Bert from the lofty Throne , was his career shortened. One of the best ive seen in my years .Some consider Namath great because of a ring , Im not one , and Jones was way better than him.Lol could go on and on. I guess to be considered great you must stand the test of time in this league. :thmup:

True, but look at the team's he lost to. The 1970's Steeler dynasty, and the 1977 Oakland Raiders. The two Steeler games they were totally outmatched, but the Raiders game they should have won. The Colts offense put up 31 points that game. If I say he was great, and Jim Irsay says he was great, he was great. He was a ballboy/ equipment guy that day, and I was a young fan. It's a shame Casper ruined our day on 33rd street !

"Bertram "Bert" Jones was selected by the Baltimore Colts, as the second overall pick in the 1973 NFL draft with a pick acquired from the New Orleans Saints. Some other notables in this draft were John Matuszak (first pick overall), Dave Butz, Ray Guy, Ron Jaworski, Tom Jackson, Dick Jauron, and HOFers John Hannah, Dan Fouts and Joe DeLamielleure.

The Colts won the AFC East, three years in a row between 1975-1977. Unfortunately they were eliminated from the playoffs in the first round each of those years.

Jones' best season was 1976, when he posted 3,104 yards passing, 24 TDs, nine INTs, 214 rushing yards, two rushing TDs, and a passer rating of 102.5. Only two other quarterbacks put up 100+ passer ratings in the entire decade of the 1970's, Roger Staubach in 1971 and Ken Stabler also in 1976.

Bert won the MVP and NFL Offensive Player of the Year awards in 1976. He was also elected to the Pro Bowl. He made the Pro Bowl the following year as a reserve.

In 1982 he played in only four games with the then Los Angeles Rams and then was forced into an early retirement due to a neck injury. His final stats were 10 seasons, 124 TDs, 101 INTs, 18,190 passing yards, 1,429 rushing yards, 14 rushing TDs and a passer rating of 78.2.

In 1990, Bert Jones won the retiree category of the first NFL QB Challenge and finished third in the regular competition. Bobby Beathard, then the GM of the San Diego Chargers, as a result tried to get the 39 year old Jones to come out of retirement and play for the Chargers. Jones decided not to try a comeback attempt.

Bert Jones was allowed to call his own plays and was a true field general. His armstrength was so great that only Brett Favre, John Elway and Doug Williams could rival it, reportedly able to throw the ball almost 100 yards in the air.

Ernie Accorsi, speaking of injury problems, said of Jones "if he had played under different circumstances, he probably would of have been the greatest player ever."

More high praise came from Redskins great John Riggins, who known for his toughness, who said "Bert Jones was the toughest competitor he ever witnessed."

Bill Belichick, gave his choices for greatest quarterbacks of all time, before this years' Super Bowl, listed Bert Jones among them and called him the "best pure passer he ever saw.""

I watched him throughout his career with the Colts and his greatness is in no way diminished by the playoff losses. I stand by my opinion that he was the best QB of his era, by a mile, sure-fire hall of famer if not undone by injury.

I guess the Irsay press conference was so boring, we switched over to talking about the Ruston Rifle, but that's alright because it's never a bad topic, and since Jim brought him up, it fits in the thread.

One of my favorite games was beating Miami as the fog rolled into Memorial Stadium to win the AFC East. Great memories with Bert.

Im hoping for a solid performance and victory and a Ravens victory ! :applause:

Dare I say I love watching the Ravens play???  I do miss Ray and Ed Reed though.  

I want a good game against Denver....unless we could ever blow a team out.  If we get blown out there will be mass chaos for firings here.... :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

Dare I say I love watching the Ravens play???  I do miss Ray and Ed Reed though.  

I want a good game against Denver....unless we could ever blow a team out.  If we get blown out there will be mass chaos for firings here.... :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

Im not expecting a blowout , Im expecting a victory !

Im not expecting a blowout , Im expecting a victory !

I will go at it with an open mind:  Cut the turnovers, continue blocking well....throw first mentality including the Boom, and play press coverage like it has never been played before.

LBs need to be aggressive.  Walden and Newsome CAN and should play at the same time...I am ready.  I feel like a huge hit comes from Landry in this game.  Yep...ME saying Landry.  :)

Yeah, I'll be in the bath during this one, music blaring.