Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Were Thorton and Harrison benched?

camcolts2621

Well Louis has been playing for a good while now, and I would most definitely not say he particularly has been playing well. However, I'm pretty sure we started Holmes in the Dallas game and haven't looked back ever since.

But do you know if it was because Thorton has been injured that later half of the season, or was he benched?

Thornton was definitely injured, I know that. But as of lately, it seems as though he had been healthy but like Richardson's "illness", the coaching staff hasn't been too impressed by Thornton's play. At least that's what it looks like. Cuz he was injured in or before the Jaguars game in week 12, you'd think he would be back by now.

Thornton was definitely injured, I know that. But as of lately, it seems as though he had been healthy but like Richardson's "illness", the coaching staff hasn't been too impressed by Thornton's play. At least that's what it looks like. Cuz he was injured in or before the Jaguars game in week 12, you'd think he would be back by now.

See that makes more sense, I was sure Thornton would have been in the starting line up... but i'm not complaining especially after today. As for Harrison, that was a great decision putting Holmes in because he's been lights out thus far. 

....... I'm also glad we went with Boom & Tipton today  :thmup:

I'm almost certain that Thornton was ruled out along with Shipley for yesterdays game...

Thorton started week 17 against the Titans and got hurt. He would have started yesterday if healthy. Harrison was benched since the Cowboy game but suffered a concussion on special teams.

I could be wrong, but Thorton didn't start in that game. He came in as an extra offensive lineman

I could be wrong, but Thorton didn't start in that game. He came in as an extra offensive lineman

He was coming off an injury .. I think he was ruled out (knee ?) of the previous 3 games. He was active for the Cowboy game and didn't start. He might have had some snaps on special teams as you say and I'm pretty sure he entered at guard when Shipley (he started at G) injured his ankle.

I was checking the Colts PFF grades from this game and was shocked to see Holmes was graded with -7.0 overall, -5.9 Pass block. For comparison sake, Samson Satele's worst overall grade as a Colt was -4.0.

Surprising, I do not remember Holmes being beaten while pass blocking yesterday.

Surprising, I do not remember Holmes being beaten while pass blocking yesterday.

Neither do I.  I thought he played an excellent game.  The only thing I can figure is that on some of the delayed bltizes that Herron picked up, if they are counting that against Holmes thinking he should have come off his double team to get him?

I was checking the Colts PFF grades from this game and was shocked to see Holmes was graded with -7.0 overall, -5.9 Pass block. For comparison sake, Samson Satele's worst overall grade as a Colt was -4.0.

I find that grade hard to believe.

I've become very disenchanted with PFF's grades lately. Holmes did miss a couple of blocks, including on the sack (a reach block, so not an easy play), but he wasn't bad at all.

Neither do I.  I thought he played an excellent game.  The only thing I can figure is that on some of the delayed bltizes that Herron picked up, if they are counting that against Holmes thinking he should have come off his double team to get him?

Yeah, maybe that's it.  I would argue that is not on Holmes though.

I've become very disenchanted with PFF's grades lately. Holmes did miss a couple of blocks, including on the sack (a reach block, so not an easy play), but he wasn't bad at all.

I can't say I have ever been a real fan of the grading system they use, but no system is perfect.  I thought the sack came when they had Mewhort come from his LG position across the formation to try and pick up the DE who was unblocked.  I may be confusing it with another play though.

I can't say I have ever been a real fan of the grading system they use, but no system is perfect. I thought the sack came when they had Mewhort come from his LG position across the formation to try and pick up the DE who was unblocked. I may be confusing it with another play though.

Geno Atkins destroyed his man up the middle and was there as well which kept Luck from stepping up. PFF put that one on Holmes.

Yeah, maybe that's it.  I would argue that is not on Holmes though.

It's hard to say.  To me, it seemed that since Cincy is not a big blitzing team, that was the design, have Holmes slide to one side or the other and have Herron back there if they brought someone... If no one came then he (Herron) went about 2 yards past the LOS for a possible dump off.

I can't say I have ever been a real fan of the grading system they use, but no system is perfect.  I thought the sack came when they had Mewhort come from his LG position across the formation to try and pick up the DE who was unblocked.  I may be confusing it with another play though.

Geno Atkins destroyed his man up the middle and was there as well which kept Luck from stepping up. PFF put that one on Holmes.

I rewatched that play a few times. The way I remember it is Mewhort came to block the backside, and failed. And Holmes was supposed to reach to block the guy to his left, who had a clear path because Mewhort came to the backside. Holmes failed, also. PFF gave the sack to both of them. I agree with that.

They also credited both of them with two additional hurries. I haven't charted anything, don't know if I even will, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt there. 

Still, -5.9 in pass blocking is BRUTAL. 

Those so called PFF grades don't make any sense sometimes. I hope they do a better job explaining the grading methodology to the public. Holmes' grade is certainly in contradiction with the eye test and it's not the first time this happens.

Another metric that I don't care about is QBR. It's as top secret as the recipe for coke or KFC. Why should I take it seriously when I don't know what it means? At least the regular passer rating comes with a formula that may or not be perfect but it's available to anyone to use it and makes some sense.

Those so called PFF grades don't make any sense sometimes. I hope they do a better job explaining the grading methodology to the public. Holmes' grade is certainly in contradiction with the eye test and it's not the first time this happens.

Another metric that I don't care about is QBR. It's as top secret as the recipe for coke or KFC. Why should I take it seriously when I don't know what it means? At least the regular passer rating comes with a formula that may or not be perfect but it's available to anyone to use it and makes some sense.

In rewatching the game, I do see that Holmes had some struggles. He was mostly effective, but it wasn't a good game. He wound up on the ground a lot because he was lunging all over the place, he got pushed back in pass pro a few times, and just missed some blocks. 

That said, I don't know if that justifies such a terrible grade. I've had specific disagreement with a lot of their grades lately.