Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

#feedmoncrief

GOCOLTS_ROLLTIDE

Love Moncreif love Whalen to come back. If we had TY, Moncrief and Whalen as our core, I'd be great with that. Keep Nicks as a back up and as much as I hate to see it go this way, you probably have to IR Wayne if he has a torn triceps

Moncrief, in all honesty, is probably already the #2 receiver on this team. He needs to be used on every down and we can create matchup nightmares with Hilton and Moncrief on the field. Whalen can come up from the practice squad. Not sure who would be the #3, Nicks or Whalen.

Whalen right now is no worse than where RW is in his career. He is a slower WR who works hard and just finds spots and catches everything. The deal is, Whalen isn't going to get much better unless it's in his route running sets.

1. TY-speed

2. moncrief- speed and size

3. Whalen- hands and possession

4. Don't know

TE 1 Fleener- speed and size mismatch

2. Allen- size, blocking can catch

That is just a solid group of players. But you need that underneath chain mover guy on every successful team.

If only we could find a runner

Whalen right now is no worse than where RW is in his career. He is a slower WR who works hard and just finds spots and catches everything. The deal is, Whalen isn't going to get much better unless it's in his route running sets.

1. TY-speed

2. moncrief- speed and size

3. Whalen- hands and possession

4. Don't know

TE 1 Fleener- speed and size mismatch

2. Allen- size, blocking can catch

That is just a solid group of players. But you need that underneath chain mover guy on every successful team.

If only we could find a runner

I would say #4 would be cribbs - miscellaneous

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but Moncrief had a huge drop on 2nd and long for the first at the end of the game.  He definitely redeemed himself though.  I kind of want to see Cribbs and Whalen get a shot.  As much as I hate to say it, Reggie has kind of hurt us lately, and with his injury has no business playing at the moment.  No disrespect but he isn't a big threat and we could use more speed out there to stretch the field.  Nicks and Luck just doesn't have chemistry and I kind of put that on Luck.  When he does target Hakeem it's just barely out of his reach, because the lack of chemistry.  He doesn't look his way very often and has no confidence in him.  There's many times where he is wide open and just doesn't even look his way.  Same thing with Richardson out of the backfield. 

I would say #4 would be cribbs - miscellaneous

I think Pep needs to be more creative.  Use Cribbs on end arounds or trick plays.  Perhaps just bring him in for a decoy, but he is under utilized as only a returner.  Im not saying he would be great, but why not if Wayne or Nicks isn't producing!  It's not like it would hurt.  Even if they did a WR pass and threw a pick.  Luck has been making mistakes, directly costing us points also.  The upside for his big play ability is huge though.

I think Pep needs to be more creative.  Use Cribbs on end arounds or trick plays.  Perhaps just bring him in for a decoy, but he is under utilized as only a returner.  Im not saying he would be great, but why not if Wayne or Nicks isn't producing!  It's not like it would hurt.  Even if they did a WR pass and threw a pick.  Luck has been making mistakes, directly costing us points also.  The upside for his big play ability is huge though.

Cribbs just got here. We can use Moncrief for sweeps, etc., and have been. No need to force Cribbs on the field, when he doesn't have an experience in our offense. And he's never been a considerable offensive weapon.

Also, LOL at the logic that suggests it's okay to turn the ball over with a receiver pretending to be a QB just because your QB has committed turnovers. Just, no.

Yep, Moncrief is a stud in the making. With the news about Reggie, I think Moncrief, Hilton, and Whalen is actually a solid receiving corps too. I hope Nicks steps up but I'm not counting on it.

Nicks looked slow out there today as well, and it is clear injuries have take a toll on that young man. I think Whalen will serve much the same roll has Reggie as a pure pass catcher. Throw in Nicks and Cribbs could be used in a pinch.

he's so conservative though, its frustrating! i would love to see some trick plays but pep isnt willing to take any risks

I think Pep needs to be more creative. Use Cribbs on end arounds or trick plays. Perhaps just bring him in for a decoy, but he is under utilized as only a returner. Im not saying he would be great, but why not if Wayne or Nicks isn't producing! It's not like it would hurt. Even if they did a WR pass and threw a pick. Luck has been making mistakes, directly costing us points also. The upside for his big play ability is huge though.

Cribbs hasn't been here long enough. Give it time. Those things need to be practiced for him to get use to his teammates my friend.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but Moncrief had a huge drop on 2nd and long for the first at the end of the game.  He definitely redeemed himself though.  I kind of want to see Cribbs and Whalen get a shot.  As much as I hate to say it, Reggie has kind of hurt us lately, and with his injury has no business playing at the moment.  No disrespect but he isn't a big threat and we could use more speed out there to stretch the field.  Nicks and Luck just doesn't have chemistry and I kind of put that on Luck.  When he does target Hakeem it's just barely out of his reach, because the lack of chemistry.  He doesn't look his way very often and has no confidence in him.  There's many times where he is wide open and just doesn't even look his way.  Same thing with Richardson out of the backfield. 

Everyone dropped the ball yesterday.  Hilton had at least one particularly bad drop for a TD.  Wayne Dropped nearly everything.

Allen and Fleener did ok but all our WR's dropped the ball at least once.

Cribbs just got here. We can use Moncrief for sweeps, etc., and have been. No need to force Cribbs on the field, when he doesn't have an experience in our offense. And he's never been a considerable offensive weapon.

Also, LOL at the logic that suggests it's okay to turn the ball over with a receiver pretending to be a QB just because your QB has committed turnovers. Just, no.

Moncrief has ran a couple end arounds and sweeps this season and the most he gained was like 10 yards.  Which is okay, but I wish Colts would just be more creative to keep defenses guessing.  They overload blitzes and get after Luck because of a weak line.  If they get burnt because of a little trickery the defenses would be a little less hesitant to bring the house.  I'm not saying it is a must, but it wouldn't hurt to try, even if he did make a mistake.  I'm not saying it's okay for him to turn the ball over but merely saying it would be worth the risk.

as a receiver, his hands never really disappoint. only downside to him is his speed, but hes solid 

Ehh he doesn't really have size either.  

He's reliable as you can expect him to run a good route and make some catches in traffic.  

I think he can get some comparisons to because they play similar roles, but he's def. a poor man's Welker.  I wouldn't put him next to Welker in terms of ability or production.  Just in the role they play in the offense. 

why so much hype on Whalen?

I wouldn't say we have a lot of hype on him.  Everyone know's he's not beating anyone deep.  But the dude just flat out catches the ball and that's the most important thing.  After watching drop after drop after drop especially with Wayne doing it because of injury.  Just having someone who will catch the ball is what we want.

And for the record that's a lot more then what we've gotten from Nicks and more then we're gonna get from an injured Reggie Wayne.  

No one think's he's our next thousand yard receiver or anything like that.  But all he does it catch the ball, give you first downs and move the sticks.  Wayne used to do that but something is wrong with his arm and he's not catching the ball now.  Next man up.

I really wouldnt mind Whalen at this point in time he has a knack for catching everything thrown at him, He isnt the fastest but he is reliable and has a knack for getting open. he knows how to sit in zone coverages to get open and move the sticks. i say bring him back up. Im not happy with Hakeem Nicks right now he is not catching the ball as great as his hands are supposed to be he has been a disappointment to say the least. 

Moncrief has ran a couple end arounds and sweeps this season and the most he gained was like 10 yards.  Which is okay, but I wish Colts would just be more creative to keep defenses guessing.  They overload blitzes and get after Luck because of a weak line.  If they get burnt because of a little trickery the defenses would be a little less hesitant to bring the house.  I'm not saying it is a must, but it wouldn't hurt to try, even if he did make a mistake.  I'm not saying it's okay for him to turn the ball over but merely saying it would be worth the risk.

Not necessarily trying to be dismissive but we have the #1 offense in the league in both yards and scoring. Why do we need to trick teams when they can't stop us as it is?

The number #1 killer of our offense is fumbles. The broadcasters said we've put the ball on the ground 20 times before yesterday which added another 3.

Not necessarily trying to be dismissive but we have the #1 offense in the league in both yards and scoring. Why do we need to trick teams when they can't stop us as it is?

The number #1 killer of our offense is fumbles. The broadcasters said we've put the ball on the ground 20 times before yesterday which added another 3.

I think it would help our run game if we perhaps ran a flea flicker, more end arounds (we do with Moncrief every so often though),  WR passes, and other trick plays.  It would keep defenses in check and be hesitant to bring the house at times

Nicks looked slow out there today as well, and it is clear injuries have take a toll on that young man. I think Whalen will serve much the same roll has Reggie as a pure pass catcher. Throw in Nicks and Cribbs could be used in a pinch.

can,t wait for Duron Carter. he was a beast in cfl. his dad was one the best in nfl.

Moncrief has ran a couple end arounds and sweeps this season and the most he gained was like 10 yards. Which is okay, but I wish Colts would just be more creative to keep defenses guessing. They overload blitzes and get after Luck because of a weak line. If they get burnt because of a little trickery the defenses would be a little less hesitant to bring the house. I'm not saying it is a must, but it wouldn't hurt to try, even if he did make a mistake. I'm not saying it's okay for him to turn the ball over but merely saying it would be worth the risk.

Meh; I'm not big on trickery, but if you're trying to attack the perimeter with more aggressiveness, that's fine. I just don't know why you think it needs to be Cribbs.

Also, rather than creativity and trickery, how about we figure out how to run a bubble screen? That's my biggest knock on our pass game. And if you want to attack the perimeter, that's a simple and effective way of doing do. It's high percentage, it slows down pressure, and there's potential for big gains. We just sort of suck at it, from QB to blocking to running after the catch.

That is the root of our problem right there.  We seem to turn the ball over 4 times a game regularly, even against bad teams.

We've gotten away with it far too often because we are playing teams who have bad quarterbacks and who's offenses don't have a pulse.  

We do that in the playoffs and we're getting blown out.  Then we have to hope for some amazing come from behind effort by Luck in order to win.  That happened last year against KC. . . But you can't expect that Luck is gonna do that very often.  

Meh; I'm not big on trickery, but if you're trying to attack the perimeter with more aggressiveness, that's fine. I just don't know why you think it needs to be Cribbs.

Also, rather than creativity and trickery, how about we figure out how to run a bubble screen? That's my biggest knock on our pass game. And if you want to attack the perimeter, that's a simple and effective way of doing do. It's high percentage, it slows down pressure, and there's potential for big gains. We just sort of suck at it, from QB to blocking to running after the catch.

It doesn't HAVE to be Cribbs, I just think of him as a decent option to run it.  Similar to that one Steelers WR who was notorious for his trick plays ( I forget his name).  I definitely agree, we need to figure out the bubble screen.  I've complained about that for quite awhile now also.

I think we gotta quite being so hard on everyone but excusing the QB.  Sure, Wayne had some drops.  But he rarely does that and I am guessing injury or not, it is not going to continue.  Yet Luck, who holds the ball way too long, gave the Browns 14 points yesterday and nobody is screaming for his scalp.