Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any chance 'Boom' supplants T-Rich? (Merge)

LordHelpOurColts

I think Boom averaged close to 6 yards per carry with 65 yards on 12 carries.  I didn't like the one fumble that I feel was officially on him.  The other fumble I blame on Jack Doyle whose man bulldozed him all the way into the back field darn near before Boom could even get the snap.  I didn't come away from this game feeling like Boom should be the #1 back, but he certainly did enough good things to command more carries.  The offensive line was bad in this game, but I think it was mostly due to Cherilus not playing.  Once Cherilus comes back I think we'll do a little better.  Also I think we may need to take a closer look at who we have at center because I haven't been as enthusiastic about Harrison lately.  I still stay we'd have a respectable rushing attack using Herron, Richardson, and Tipton together as a trio.  

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know my wish will never come true, but I can still dream lol...  I disagree, the Colt's are talented enough, but will not win a SB until they learn how to run block and stop the run, until then I can keep on dreaming lol

Your second comment is exactly why the Colts are not ready. They are not talented enough on both ones lines to go deep into the playoffs. We all know the game is won in the trenches so to say.

We have a new starting running back.   Boom won the job in practice this week -- which is why he started today.

And then he delivered in the game.    He was not perfect.   But he was better than Trent,  so Boom gets the starter's job.

Good for the kid.   Really happy for him and for the Colts.

But hope you noticed that Trent played much of the 3rd quarter when we scored two TD's.    He'll still play a roll on this team.

Hopefully,  they become a nice 1-2 punch.....

Possible. Boom looked really good and fast today so I'd start him in the next few games then give Richardson a shot to finish things out. Whoever does better gets the job at the start of next season.

With a game like he had today,  Boom is the starter until he loses the job, or Trent beats him out of the spot, and I don't think anyone sees that happening.

Boom is the starter with Trent getting a fair amount of the load.....

Here's hoping it's enough......

With a game like he had today,  Boom is the starter until he loses the job, or Trent beats him out of the spot, and I don't think anyone sees that happening.

They combined for 100+ yards today so I think the two of them will work well enough as combo. Maybe it will light a fire under Trent's butt knowing his job is in trouble. 

They combined for 100+ yards today so I think the two of them will work well enough as combo. Maybe it will light a fire under Trent's butt knowing his job is in trouble. 

Honestly,  I don't think Trent's job is in trouble.    I think he's lost his starting job.    I think Boom starts and gets about 60% of the load....   and I think Trent is the back-up getting the other 40%.

Boom started today.    I don't see a reason for him not to start in the future until he either loses the job, or Trent takes it from him.... (which I don't see happening...)

Boom had 65 yards on 12 carries. Imagine what that would look like if he had 17 to 20 plus carries.

I know the line is a work in progress, but I can't figure out with this team why we never do any con-

secutive running plays.  It's like we have an aversion to really commiting to the ground game to get

the guys used to run blocking and get in a groove. I want to get back to some more play action pa-

ssing. I still think we will get better once Cherilus, and Dwayne Allen get back.  Also if we decided to

put Reitz in full time at guard along with a possible change at center.

Honestly,  I don't think Trent's job is in trouble.    I think he's lost his starting job.    I think Boom starts and gets about 60% of the load....   and I think Trent is the back-up getting the other 40%.

Boom started today.    I don't see a reason for him not to start in the future until he either loses the job, or Trent takes it from him.... (which I don't see happening...)

Well, he lost his starting which should make him run a little angrier... but odds are they will continue to still split carries so he will keep getting his 30/40 yards a game. I think next week Boom has his best though. 

Seriously?  The Jags are terrible against the run. Tipton would have went for 5 yards a carry.  I like Boom for his explosiveness, but Richardson is too quick to bury.

The Colts have split carries between two backs all year.  The notion of "starter" is almost insignificant. 

Overall solid day by Boom....Got to be able to hang onto the ball though.....Has to keep that left arm tight to his body......What really caused that fumble was his own helmet after taking a knee to the head as he was trying to stay up with his right hand on the ground

Seriously?  The Jags are terrible against the run. Tipton would have went for 5 yards a carry.  I like Boom for his explosiveness, but Richardson is too quick to bury.

Bury?    In another post, I wrote Boom will get about 60% of the workload while Trent gets the other 40%. 

I don't think Trent gets buried at all.     I like Trent.    But Boom got the start today, and I don't think he did anything to lose his job.

Trent has never ... NEVER .... and I mean NEVER changed when his job has "supposedly" been in danger. It's not like the guy DOESN'T want to run better but seriously his team's O-Line stinks...sure BOOM did good today indeed and I'm happy for him. He averaged over 5 yards per carry but I definitely want BOOM to get some more starts and see what he can do...that's what we all need to see what he is capable of.

don't some running backs need  20 to 25 carries to be really effective? i was just thinking how ingram started to play better when they went away from their rotation and he gets almost all the carries.

Definitely want to see Boom with 20-25 carries. I like one running back to hog all the glory. Thats how Adrian Peterson or Demarco Murry products are made. 

Definitely want to see Boom with 20-25 carries. I like one running back to hog all the glory. Thats how Adrian Peterson or Demarco Murry products are made. 

I agree with you. This your turn my turn approach to running the ball should be demolished. Especially when it's clear as day that they don't produce equally. Same with Bradshaw and TRich, or Brown and TRich.

You can say that Boom fumbled, which is true but it doesn't take away from the fact that Trent has been outperformed by every player he has shared carries with since becoming a Colt.

Same line, different backs, and they have all been better at running the ball.

You could have the best line in the history of the league and Trent would be out performed by whoever he shares carries with, he's just not a good running back.

Don't get me wrong I was extremely high on Richardson but with the play of this offensive line, we need a quicker back who can hit the hole ( if there is one) or at least quick enough to get to the edge. Richardson is a power back and constantly gets hit in the backfield. Which isn't his fault but we need a quicker back who might be able to juke his way out of some of those hits. Until we solidify our line he can really only be used on the goal line. I say feed Boom and see what we have.

Don't get me wrong I was extremely high on Richardson but with the play of this offensive line, we need a quicker back who can hit the hole ( if there is one) or at least quick enough to get to the edge. Richardson is a power back and constantly gets hit in the backfield. Which isn't his fault but we need a quicker back who might be able to juke his way out of some of those hits. Until we solidify our line he can really only be used on the goal line. I say feed Boom and see what we have.

Richardson isn't a power back

They will not do it, but I would suggest playing Zirlon Tipton on the goaline.  230lb back who runs with power.

Trent also has the size, but the guy is amazingly weak at breaking/running through tackles.  First contact usually stops him