Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning's Surgery/Recovery Updates [Merge]

nsurg

It might be nice to keep all manning surgery threads organized, but I could honestly care less personally if this is not preferred.

This is a bit of a preemptive thread, I suppose. I note on espn.com that Manning is apparently scheduled to have a "scan" (likely movement xrays and/or CT) to evaluate his fusion status, and it should be this week. This is common to do around 3 months, as this is usually the earliest time to begin to see fusion. His fusion will likely become much more robust over the next 6-18 months.

I would imagine we will see rosy comments from his doctors that his "surgery is healing beautifully" or something like that, without much comment on his triceps strength. His doctors can't be blamed if strength doesn't return, so they will stay positive with public comments.

The only relevance to this soon-to-come fusion update is that his doctors will likely clear him for more activity (i.e. trying to throw hard). My guess is he'll be trying to pass by mid to late December, though it could be right after the MD visit. The only thing we care about is that he can throw with normal velocity or close to it. If by now he is throwing with poor velocity, it might be very discouraging for further recovery.

Sound off. I'll probably personally just check this thread in the future if this thread persists.

Thanks, and let's hope for some good news with his first practices!

Heres my insight on the topic. Manning was cleared to practice today. He goes to practice and miracuosly is throwing like he never missed a beat. They dont tell the media so the pats have no idea to game plan for him. he walks out onto gillete field in full pads and helmet. The crowd(tv crowd) goes wild. Peyton comes out and spanks the pants of the pats. (one can dream right?)

As much as I would hate to see Manning risk further injury this season by playing, wouldn't it be freakin' sweet if they said nothing until Sunday only to have Manning lead the team out onto the field? That would be insane.

It would be....I'd give anything to see that...The looks on the Hoodie's and the Golden Boy's faces would be pricless.

Too bad it won't happen.

I still have hope though Peyton will start for us last game of the season and save us for eternal embarassment.

In Peyton We Trust

As much as I would hate to see Manning risk further injury this season by playing, wouldn't it be freakin' sweet if they said nothing until Sunday only to have Manning lead the team out onto the field? That would be insane.

I'd be excited and affaid for Peyton. But it wont happen.

Irsay already made a tweet about rumors of Manning playing against the Pats. lmao

From what I have seen, people showed up today for comments, but the word was, they might release information tomorrow, not today, so it is the media's fault for coming a day early.

i say he land on the field in a helicopter and emerge from a cloud of smoke all decked out in elvis garb

Complete with over dramatic opening of " eye of the tiger" or " the final countdown " or maybe the theme of the movie 2001 blaring.

Lets go with the 2001 theme song, his grand entrance will be similar to Rick Flair except the helicopter, smoke, and a football field. The sparkling Elvis jumpsuit is very Rick Flair.

MAybe he wasn't there because it was bad news, and he is depressed? I hope not.

I don't think so because Wayne joked around about maybe tomorrow they'll find out. Manning is Wayne's future paycheck from the colts. If manning goes, wayne has no chance at the big pay day he wants from the colts after this year, so if manning was hurt i think we could tell from wayne's expressions. Plus, Manning isn't one too just mope around and hide. He'll hide from media because they annoy him and he likes his privacy but he won't hide from just having to speak the truth.

I hope "encouraging" (as alluded to in the twitter link) is more than just "the bone is healing". What discourages me is the part from one of the links above, although it refers to a November interview that probably is oversimplified here: "The passer said in early November he still suffered from the same arm fatigue issues as before the Sept. 8 procedure."

Fatigue is a very vague word.

From JMV 1070

“I am encouraged with what Doc had to say,” said Colts quarterback Peyton Manning. From #colts statement just released."

“X-ray and CT examination of the surgical area shows that the fusion performed in September has achieved firm fixation,” -Dr. Robert Watkins

So glad to hear that its more positive then negative news towards manning, i believe that he will be back next season, and to his old form possibly. I don't really listen to what the media says. Don't hear too much about it anyway. Colt fan surrounded by Steeler fans, so don't get to hear much colts news unless i am on here.

Ill take the opportunity to give a little medical opinion into the situation... I am a doctoral PT student just to validate these statements.

The statement that has been released essentially says, anatomically speaking there are no problems with #18's neck. The big issue now is not necessarily nerve regeneration, but a "retraining" and conditioning effect. Since the surgery, all pressure has been released from the nerve. It has been healing since, but until the neck was stable it was a contraindication to be aggressive with treatment. The straps are now off, and he can go at it full throttle.

I still say, #18 with 80% of his arm strength and accuracy is better that most QB's at 100%.

I want to know about the nerves.

So glad to hear that its more positive then negative news towards manning, i believe that he will be back next season, and to his old form possibly. I don't really listen to what the media says. Don't hear too much about it anyway. Colt fan surrounded by Steeler fans, so don't get to hear much colts news unless i am on here.

I hear you. Im smack dab im the middle of "steeler country"

Heres my insight on the topic. Manning was cleared to practice today. He goes to practice and miracuosly is throwing like he never missed a beat. They dont tell the media so the pats have no idea to game plan for him. he walks out onto gillete field in full pads and helmet. The crowd(tv crowd) goes wild. Peyton comes out and spanks the pants of the pats. (one can dream right?)

That's pretty much impossible. In order for him to play, they would have to put him back on the active game-day roster. No way the media would not notice that.

Maybe we have been wrong all this time on the nerve reg?Really, did we ever actually have anything on the record that he lost velocity? I remember a leaked statement to the effect of "decent velocity" during the PUP.

I just dont see the whole "The Man on the white horse RISES!!!!!!!!!!" as anything other than him back next year.

Maybe we have been wrong all this time on the nerve reg?Really, did we ever actually have anything on the record that he lost velocity? I remember a leaked statement to the effect of "decent velocity" during the PUP.

I just dont see the whole "The Man on the white horse RISES!!!!!!!!!!" as anything other than him back next year.

Isn't Polian the man on the white horse?

This last September-

http://www.indy.com/posts/colts-coach-jim-caldwell-more-info-on-qb-peyton-manning-s-prognosis-soon

"But his second neck surgery in about 15 months hasn’t gone as smoothly as the first. After two days of practice last week, he complained of fatigue in his throwing arm and back."

Then this recent IndyStar article-

http://wap.indystar.com/sports/article?a=2011112010434&f=1243

"The passer said in early November he still suffered from the same arm fatigue issues as before the Sept. 8 procedure."

I think there is enough there, there. Let's see if the 'fatigue' goes away soon with increased activity.