Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning's Surgery/Recovery Updates [Merge]

nsurg

“X-ray and CT examination of the surgical area shows that the fusion performed in September has achieved firm fixation,” said Dr. Robert Watkins. “Peyton will now be allowed to increase the intensity and breadth of his workouts as tolerated. There remains every indication that his recovery will continue.

There still is no timetable for Peyton’s return to practice, which is one of many steps in his expected return to game action.

He is working hard on a rehabilitation program outlined in conjunction with myself, Erin Barill and Peyton. His response to this plan in the future will dictate his return date.”

http://www.colts.com/news-and-events/article-1/STATEMENT-FROM-DR-RO...

I am sure even though says firm fixation could use more time for the bone to do what they call remodel & incorporate all bone and look proper 7 become a harder fusion

HOWEVER THIS DOES NOT ADDRESS THE MAIN ISSUE

there is no statement on nerve regeneration that is needed for increased triceps strength. Peyton himslf should know if he has noticed some increase even without workling out as the nerve would feed the muscle simply by its innervation

( Connection) if it has regenerated more & just daily activity would allow some increase in strength,

Peyton now has to HOPEFULLY IN TIME BE Cleared to practice & BUT MEANWHILE IF HE CAN increase his workout then we will see if muscle strength return BUT ITS STILL WAIT & SEE

========================================================

PEYTON COMMENTS

"I am encouraged with what Doc had to say," Manning said. "I am happy that I can increase my rehabilitation program as outlined by him ... and the Colts' medical staff. I am hopeful for continued progress in this next phase of my rehab."

THIS IS GOOD NEWS it means with increased workouts we can see if muscle gains strength ( & thus nerve regenerated )

Ill take the opportunity to give a little medical opinion into the situation... I am a doctoral PT student just to validate these statements.

The statement that has been released essentially says, anatomically speaking there are no problems with #18's neck. The big issue now is not necessarily nerve regeneration, but a "retraining" and conditioning effect. Since the surgery, all pressure has been released from the nerve. It has been healing since, but until the neck was stable it was a contraindication to be aggressive with treatment. The straps are now off, and he can go at it full throttle.

I still say, #18 with 80% of his arm strength and accuracy is better that most QB's at 100%.

Respectfully, I would say that the entire issue for his ultimate performance is nerve regeneration. A healthy nerve will allow his muscle strength to be fine eventually without exception. Impaired nerve function, even with all the PT in the world, will never allow arm strength to recover fully. I have no idea if weakness could affect accuracy, but to be elite and average in this league seems to be a fine margin of performance difference, so a loss of arm strength I suppose would have relevance.

It is very fair to say that there is a chance the nerve function is adequate, but his current fatigue is from disuse atrophy (which can be rehabbed, of course).

It seems pretty much that his docs said exactly what I suspected they would--bone healing, let him do a bit more, no comment on triceps strength. I would expect he will be throwing short passes today, perhaps in a media-free location.

Respectfully, I would say that the entire issue for his ultimate performance is nerve regeneration. A healthy nerve will allow his muscle strength to be fine eventually without exception. Impaired nerve function, even with all the PT in the world, will never allow arm strength to recover fully. I have no idea if weakness could affect accuracy, but to be elite and average in this league seems to be a fine margin of performance difference, so a loss of arm strength I suppose would have relevance.

It is very fair to say that there is a chance the nerve function is adequate, but his current fatigue is from disuse atrophy (which can be rehabbed, of course).

It seems pretty much that his docs said exactly what I suspected they would--bone healing, let him do a bit more, no comment on triceps strength. I would expect he will be throwing short passes today, perhaps in a media-free location.

And I'm sure I've read that there is concern about him injuring other parts of his arm by overcompensating if he tries to push it too hard without the nerve being back to normal. The fact that they are allowing him to increase his rehab is encouraging (if expected), but I'm going to be holding my breath as he does so for many reasons.

And I'm sure I've read that there is concern about him injuring other parts of his arm by overcompensating if he tries to push it too hard without the nerve being back to normal. The fact that they are allowing him to increase his rehab is encouraging (if expected), but I'm going to be holding my breath as he does so for many reasons.

Agreed. This whole ordeal is a step by step process. Good start, but he's still got a long way to go. Were not out of the woods yet.

At least we know he is healed, dont expect him to play this year though, but good signs point that he can be ready for next year

Healing perhaps, not healed by a long-shot. And it would have been utterly bizarre and disturbing if the fusion wasn't progressing (as it should continue to do for many months to come).

But that still doesn't mean that he can throw a football. This is really more of a "we have no additional bad news for you" announcement, not a "we have good news for you" announcement. We really don't have any more reason to be confident about next year than we did yesterday. Still waiting to hear that the nerve is working.

I doubt that I can be more clear than Nsurg, but let me see if I can offer some perspective based on having had the same surgery.

When a nerve in my neck got compressed, I lost feeling in two fingers in my left hand, and lost most of the strength in my left upper arm, and suffered from pain which made sleeping for more than an hour or two impossible, and made concentrating on anything extremely difficult. Many everyday activities became essentially impossible. The doctors test you by -among other things - holding up their hands, and having you push against them with your hands. Regardless of muscle mass, without a functioning nerve, the affected muscles simply don't work properly. Simply taking Mobic (and a few weeks time) allowed most of the symptoms to abate. I went ahead and had the surgery anyway on the advice of the surgeon (fear of permanent nerve damage), but frankly I sometimes regret doing so. It's not something to be taken lightly.

The point is, Peyton has probably had the simple "push" test many times now, and more to the point he uses his arm constantly. I couldn't even open a car door when mine was at it's worst. When I was once again able to do so, I didn't need an xray or a doctor to tell me that it was good news. Peyton has had multiple surgeries, and it's been months since the symptoms started. For all we know he waited too long to have the surgery in the first place, inviting the permanent nerve damage that my surgeon warned of. We certainly haven't heard anything to indicate that the nerve is regenerating. We can only wait until we do so. Until that point, we have no reason to expect him to be able to play again.

I'm still very optimistic mind you, it's just that this status report doesn't mean all that much.

Its good news..because he thinks its good news...

There seemed to be a finality to the phrase 'achieved firm fixation'

That's the kind of thing we were hoping to hear...

.....There's a month left......We need now to see if he can get back to playing shape...

We need to see it so we know if we can use the draft for sorely needed defensive players or if we must go QB.

Very good news..

I'm sure he'll be interviewed Sunday on CBS in New England

Healing perhaps, not healed by a long-shot. And it would have been utterly bizarre and disturbing if the fusion wasn't progressing (as it should continue to do for many months to come).

But that still doesn't mean that he can throw a football. This is really more of a "we have no additional bad news for you" announcement, not a "we have good news for you" announcement. We really don't have any more reason to be confident about next year than we did yesterday. Still waiting to hear that the nerve is working.

I doubt that I can be more clear than Nsurg, but let me see if I can offer some perspective based on having had the same surgery.

When a nerve in my neck got compressed, I lost feeling in two fingers in my left hand, and lost most of the strength in my left upper arm, and suffered from pain which made sleeping for more than an hour or two impossible, and made concentrating on anything extremely difficult. Many everyday activities became essentially impossible. The doctors test you by -among other things - holding up their hands, and having you push against them with your hands. Regardless of muscle mass, without a functioning nerve, the affected muscles simply don't work properly. Simply taking Mobic (and a few weeks time) allowed most of the symptoms to abate. I went ahead and had the surgery anyway on the advice of the surgeon (fear of permanent nerve damage), but frankly I sometimes regret doing so. It's not something to be taken lightly.

The point is, Peyton has probably had the simple "push" test many times now, and more to the point he uses his arm constantly. I couldn't even open a car door when mine was at it's worst. When I was once again able to do so, I didn't need an xray or a doctor to tell me that it was good news. Peyton has had multiple surgeries, and it's been months since the symptoms started. For all we know he waited too long to have the surgery in the first place, inviting the permanent nerve damage that my surgeon warned of. We certainly haven't heard anything to indicate that the nerve is regenerating. We can only wait until we do so. Until that point, we have no reason to expect him to be able to play again.

I'm still very optimistic mind you, it's just that this status report doesn't mean all that much.

absolutley, i should have said healing, but i just have my fingers crossed to see him take the field one more time

I like your thoughts on Peyton returning!! Awesome thinking! :D:coltslogo:

No..on the night on the 22nd....National TV..Thursday night..

Inn the middle of the third quarter..Orlovsky gets hit and he goes down and lays there for about five minutes

...meanwhile the crowd sees Manning warming up..and starts to make noise..while the ratings on the NFL Network soar and ESPN breaks live...

Orlovsky, who was faking the injury, is helped to his feet...and as he walks off, he high fives Manning as he walks onto the field to the cheers of the crowd.

Houston protests the game and vows to get Orlovsky if he ever plays again

early in it says he can start weight lifting at the 3 minute mark says has been throwing, now can ramp it up and test his throwing ability more, asked if he will end career as a colt he says at the 5 minute mark and basically avoids answering saying understands timing of the ? but inappropriate to ask when a coach is fired this week , people are fighting for their jobs know u r asking because of the draft , asked if he ever wants to coach as TV media says he will do right after retires he says he hasnt thought about it and if hes done any this year hes 0 & 11

He clearly has been doing some level of QB coaching at least. When Painter didn't read the man coverage on the screen to Garcon, you could see Manning telling Painter that throw should not have been made. Not Manning's fault though - blame Caldwell. It's all Caldwell's fault. ::Waves finger at Caldwell::

He clearly has been doing some level of QB coaching at least. When Painter didn't read the man coverage on the screen to Garcon, you could see Manning telling Painter that throw should not have been made. Not Manning's fault though - blame Caldwell. It's all Caldwell's fault. ::Waves finger at Caldwell::

Like your signature

I like how the cameraman really trys to get inside Peytons head @ 2:20. Nicely done sir.

When peyton says no that he doesnt know what he means when he & all of us do know what is being asked , Peyton is quick , just like dissecting the D

Peyton handles himself with such class. He is a naturally funny guy. He had me laughing at some points of this interview even though the subject matter is pretty serious. "I hope they don't announce the next check point so all of you won't be up in here." :D

I wish him the best in this next phase of his rehabilitation.

great video, thanks for posting bayone! man, with all the rumors out there, its hard to know what to believe anymore. i read once where some kids from a school were asking peyton questions. one kid asked peyton....if you had to play for another team besides the colts, what team would it be? he answered.... that if he couldnt play for the colts, he would probably retire! i thought that was cool that he said that. i just hope with all the luck publicity and all the negative crap being said about him staying in indy, that he still feels like that! i can only imagine what all of the stuff he has heard has made him think. one day he is the biggest thing this city has ever known...the next , there are people dying to dump or trade him to make room for a some rookie. im sure that has to hurt a little. all i want to see is #18 back out there in a colts uniform for as long as he can physically play football!!

great video, thanks for posting bayone! man, with all the rumors out there, its hard to know what to believe anymore. i read once where some kids from a school were asking peyton questions. one kid asked peyton....if you had to play for another team besides the colts, what team would it be? he answered.... that if he couldnt play for the colts, he would probably retire! i thought that was cool that he said that. i just hope with all the luck publicity and all the negative crap being said about him staying in indy, that he still feels like that! i can only imagine what all of the stuff he has heard has made him think. one day he is the biggest thing this city has ever known...the next , there are people dying to dump or trade him to make room for a some rookie. im sure that has to hurt a little. all i want to see is #18 back out there in a colts uniform for as long as he can physically play football!!

Thank You & my pleasure

Re the above part u referenced

I dont remember that, i thought was evasive, phill wilson transcribed it , & added alot more that came after the video ended but was still an ongoing interview on more stuff & topics

but he wrote as far as that question u note, the same as what i remember he said was

QUESTION -- Something about finishing your career in Indianapolis?

“I understand the timing of that question. Yesterday was an important day for us and we’re still trying to digest that and see what we can do next and as far as questions about long-term career and about the 2012 draft, I think those are inappropriate, frankly, given the fact that a coach got fired this week, there are players playing for jobs, changes being made.

“That tells you that this is a serious time for our team. All we want to do is get a win on Sunday. All I want to do is keep making progress. Anything beyond those two things aren’t really on my radar at this point.”