Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Congrats to the Pittsburgh Steelers!

BlueShoe

Pittsburgh Hammered our Colts, and my hat is off to them. We had no answers to stop the Steelers, and they took it to us. The reality is, the Steelers beat us until the brakes fell off. 

Colts fans; this happens sometimes. The Steelers had our number yesterday. They deserved the win. Through 8 games we are 5-3, and we are still in the mix. Lot of season left still. 

Read my signature. 

The last time I felt this way was vs the Jags in 2006.  Back then they ran through us, where as Ben Air bombed us. And we we didn't mount much of a comeback attempt then. It was late in the season so my worry level was a little bit higher than it is now after this game. But both times I'm not convinced it was not an anomaly.  Somewhat flukey. Things worked out quite alright that year 2006, and I believe they will again.  As BB would say "on to New York".

The last time I felt this way was vs the Jags in 2006. Back then they ran through us, where as Ben Air bombed us. And we we didn't mount much of a comeback attempt then. It was late in the season so my worry level was a little bit higher than it is now after this game. But both times I'm not convinced it was not an anomaly. Somewhat flukey. Things worked out quite alright that year 2006, and I believe they will again. As BB would say "on to New York".

Every team has one of these games. The Pats are looking good now but they looked awful against the Chiefs. Until the 4th quarter I thought the Colts would mount a comeback. The Colts will be fine...

I am going to the game at Met Life stadium next week. I expect the Colts to win.

it was just one of those days...as said in another thread Ben and that Pitt O line was having the game of their lives. It seemed the stars were aligned, just like a basketball player who's on a roll and can't miss. No matter what you do to counter them it doesn't work. I don't think any D was going to beat them yesterday. Just have to tip your hat and move on.

I will say again that it's usually bad to play a team, especially a very good team (which the Colts are), the week after that team gets embarassed....the Giants will have all they can handle next week.

Once Vontae was out that changed everything.

We had to move Toler to #1 Butler to the outside..

Factor that in with ZERO pass rush..

You get slashed for 522 and 6 TD's

That part was confusing to me. Seems as though we should have left Toler at his normal position, instead of moving everyone around. 

Either way, we got torched. 

The Butler and Toler love was a bit much, yesterday they reminded u who they are.

Toler had some pretty solid coverages.. But there's not one corner in the league who can cover a receiver with giving the quarterback all day to throw.

Butler is a slot corner and we had him playing outside and out of position. He looked rusty, and I wonder if he's still fully healed from that bummed ankle.

The Butler and Toler love was a bit much, yesterday they reminded u who they are.

Not really. Toler is one of the best number two corners in the league and Butler is one of the best corners lining up against slot receivers. They simply had to play out of position and it showed.

We have zero depth at corner..

Might have been a good game to throw Purifoy in to see what he can do.

I thought he was in for at least a few snaps because I swear I saw a number 23 jersey out there.

I think no matter who played the steelers yesterday they woulda lost.  Thats the best that team has looked by far yesterday.  Maybe getting called SOFT all week they had something to prove.  They controlled the line of scrimage and teams that do that usually win.  All about new york now...

I think no matter who played the steelers yesterday they woulda lost.  Thats the best that team has looked by far yesterday.  Maybe getting called SOFT all week they had something to prove.  They controlled the line of scrimage and teams that do that usually win.  All about new york now...

I agree about the line of scrimmage. They controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, all day long. 

We could not stop the pressure, and we could not get any pressure. Recipe for a very bad loss. 

The hell with all of that the Steelers are garbage. There is no excuse for what happened yesterday. Ben had all day to throw every single play any qb would've sliced us up. This is an embarrassing loss any way you look at it.

yea curtis painter could have done well to

This is what I call a buzz saw game.  We came out way too vanilla on defense, let a HOF QB get on the biggest roll of his career.  When I saw 3 men rushing and Toler/Davis 7 yards off to start, I knew it could be ugly.

We NEVER had the disguised blitz packages in this one, and I think we should never win a game and then give the guys off until Wednesday.  This one is on Pags and Manusky.

All said and done, I bet a few of you still thought Luck was going to get us back....and he almost did.  Great day to be a Steelers fan....we look to the Giants now.  We need to be ready.

I hate graceful losers

You get your butt handed to you on a platter.  You get to work for the next game and actually prepare for the game instead of crying.  You do not read the headlines that you are a great defense...a Super Bowl team.  You go to work...

Giving the team off until Wednesday was a huge mistake by this staff.  Bottom line is...an L is and L and you 'actually prepare' for the next game.

The hell with all of that the Steelers are garbage. There is no excuse for what happened yesterday. Ben had all day to throw every single play any qb would've sliced us up. This is an embarrassing loss any way you look at it.

yeah still choking on that fifty burger...

oh the sweet, sweet taste of defeat...

This is what I call a buzz saw game.  We came out way too vanilla on defense, let a HOF QB get on the biggest roll of his career.  When I saw 3 men rushing and Toler/Davis 7 yards off to start, I knew it could be ugly.

We NEVER had the disguised blitz packages in this one, and I think we should never win a game and then give the guys off until Wednesday.  This one is on Pags and Manusky.

All said and done, I bet a few of you still thought Luck was going to get us back....and he almost did.  Great day to be a Steelers fan....we look to the Giants now.  We need to be ready.

My only thought about rush 3, drop 8 was that offense has to face Lebeau's blitz packeages in practice all the time.  Not easy to trick them with blitz schemes.  you just have to beat your man one on one.  No Colts did.

As far as Luck, I felt we had a chance (and so did Tomlin via his play call) until...  the dagger play.  It was after the soon to be famous Butt-Safety.  Our D finally stepped late.  it was now 4th and a foot, 5:20 left on the clock. Scorre Steelers 44, Colts 34.  If they go for 3, Luck can march down, get a TD.  And we let McAfee go for our 4th onsides kickoff recovery, to have a potential TD march to win the whole thing.  But Tomlin doesn't even consider it, and decides to go for it. But he changes his mind about Steeler ball and changes the play from a run to PA fake dive and do a rollout pass.  Here's the scenario at the snap.  Toler locked outside with the WR.  Sergio Brown coming untouched from the left on a blitz.

2014-10-27111612_zpsa0d74603.jpg

Down low, we Werner looking in to th QB, while Heath Miller slides right by him and RJF. By the time Werner realizes Miller might become a target he's already a couple yards behind.  Toler has his guy locked up and Brown is zeroing in..  Then...

2014-10-27111644_zpse7875dd4.jpg

Ben scans progression 1, covered! (Toler knows a blirz is on).  Progression #2 is behind the line and looks like Adams is ready to take him down short of the first down.  So Ben is going to have to hold the ball Big Ben style and let them create, right?  All the while we hope Sergio pops him in to next week, yes? Alas, not to be as Ben spots Miller out front of Werner and stretching the advantage and lets the pass go.by the time it lands in Miller's hands, Werner is 5 yards behind and Toler has broke off his coverage (blitz remember?), only to see theTD pass land in Millers, hands; who was now a full 5 yards in front of Werner. 

2014-10-27111752_zps438ea848.jpg

Poor execution, and maybe poor choice of who was to cover Miller.  It was here my balloon was deflated.  down 17 with 5 minutes is not impossible, but there was a momentum shift back to Steelers, so it would have been really difficult. We were really close to making it a game once more, then this play happened.  I can hardly wait for Superman's grades for the game.  :-(

2014-10-27112213_zpsa6fd1d74.jpg

So close, yet so far.  OK, on to NY.

Good chance we see them again the playoffs, assuming we make it.  I doubt we get a bye, and they are right there for a wild card.  I suppose I would rather see them win the division and get the Bengals, Ravens or Chiefs instead.

My only thought about rush 3, drop 8 was that offense has to face Lebeau's blitz packeages in practice all the time.  Not easy to trick them with blitz schemes.  you just have to beat your man one on one.  No Colts did.

As far as Luck, I felt we had a chance (and so did Tomlin via his play call) until...  the dagger play.  It was after the soon to be famous Butt-Safety.  Our D finally stepped late.  it was now 4th and a foot, 5:20 left on the clock. Scorre Steelers 44, Colts 34.  If they go for 3, Luck can march down, get a TD.  And we let McAfee go for our 4th onsides kickoff recovery, to have a potential TD march to win the whole thing.  But Tomlin doesn't even consider it, and decides to go for it. But he changes his mind about Steeler ball and changes the play from a run to PA fake dive and do a rollout pass.  Here's the scenario at the snap.  Toler locked outside with the WR.  Sergio Brown coming untouched from the left on a blitz.

2014-10-27111612_zpsa0d74603.jpg

Down low, we Werner looking in to th QB, while Heath Miller slides right by him and RJF. By the time Werner realizes Miller might become a target he's already a couple yards behind.  Toler has his guy locked up and Brown is zeroing in..  Then...

2014-10-27111644_zpse7875dd4.jpg

Ben scans progression 1, covered! (Toler knows a blirz is on).  Progression #2 is behind the line and looks like Adams is ready to take him down short of the first down.  So Ben is going to have to hold the ball Big Ben style and let them create, right?  All the while we hope Sergio pops him in to next week, yes? Alas, not to be as Ben spots Miller out front of Werner and stretching the advantage and lets the pass go.by the time it lands in Miller's hands, Werner is 5 yards behind and Toler has broke off his coverage (blitz remember?), only to see theTD pass land in Millers, hands; who was now a full 5 yards in front of Werner. 

2014-10-27111752_zps438ea848.jpg

Poor execution, and maybe poor choice of who was to cover Miller.  It was here my balloon was deflated.  down 17 with 5 minutes is not impossible, but there was a momentum shift back to Steelers, so it would have been really difficult. We were really close to making it a game once more, then this play happened.  I can hardly wait for Superman's grades for the game.  :-(

2014-10-27112213_zpsa6fd1d74.jpg

So close, yet so far.  OK, on to NY.

Good stuff....love it :thmup:

I'm with you there. At least we got our most embarrassing loss out of the way early. Still the Steelers was playing old school football. Big Ben, Palamalu, and Brett Kiesel all made highlight plays. It was an old fashion whooping. 

We need to generate more pass rush. You can't give a great qb all day to scan the defense and make plays...just can't do it. The secondary did alright but was having to cover for like 4 and 5 secs and sometimes longer when Ben scrambled....Pittsburgh is the best team in football when doing the scramble drill....all their wrs have elite speed and its tough to cover again and again like that. I was hoping for more stunts etc instead of blitzs but it seemed nobody was generating anything...and probably that was because we wanted to keep containment on Ben so we didn't do the stunts etc...but whatever the case it clearly wasn't working early,middle, or late. Offense looked like our normal offense....Luck took too many hits but he was hero back there taking hit after hit and waiting til the last second to throw those balls. As per usual he let a couple get away and those cost us but we wouldn't have been in the game without him....got to get more physical at the point of attack....sounds familiar for a Colts team.

Posted Today, 12:44 PM

Stephen, on 27 Oct 2014 - 11:08 AM, said:snapback.png

yea curtis painter could have done well to

Now that's funny..

I believe he would have too.  Because we couldn't touch their QB, so Painter wouldn't be cowering every drop back, and he did have some talent when not pressured, as most NFL level QB's do.

If the Steelers are "garbage"  then what does that makes the Colts?!?     I'm pretty sure losing 51-34 to a team you call garbage does not help our case.

Perhaps you might want to redefine your view of the Steelers?     

If the Steelers are "garbage"  then what does that makes the Colts?!?     I'm pretty sure losing 51-34 to a team you call garbage does not help our case.

Perhaps you might want to redefine your view of the Steelers?     

The Steelers aren't the same team they used to be. I don't mind the loss but to lose the way we did leaves a bad taste in my mouth.