Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A.Q. Shipley

Godeepreggie

Being overrated by fans, and underrated by the front office?

Something like that, they play well when they were out there but the coaches don't have the full confidence for whatever reason to play them unless it's a last resort. Or they wanted Harrison to start for Holmes all along but had to wait for his thumb to fully heal

Something like that, they play well when they were out there but the coaches don't have the full confidence for whatever reason to play them unless it's a last resort. Or they wanted Harrison to start for Holmes all along but had to wait for his thumb to fully heal

In the case of Shipley, not sure the call was coming from the coaches.  Phil Wilson heard it  came from the FO, which may explain why there was disagreement internally, but of course you could never get them to admit that.

Shipley has performed well for us as a back-up when he has been called upon.  However, I think it is important to keep in mind that AQ is a back-up -- I am grateful for the effort he has given us and think he's done well on the field.

The problem with Shipley is that he is pretty limited, IMO, with both size and talent (i.e., he has a low ceiling).  Holmes and Harrison are younger guys with better physical attributes and more natural talent (i.e., they have higher ceilings).  I am sure the front office and coaching staff have appreciated what Shipley has done for us -- but in planning for the future they want to get younger and more talented.  Our young guys need to get experience if they are to succeed in being the future for us.  I also think Pagano realizes the Ravens cut Shipley and are probably pretty familiar with his weaknesses, plus they have a monster in Ngata at NT -- the thinking could have been influenced by the fact that a larger, stronger Harrison could handle him better than Shipley.

I think Harrison played pretty well other than his 2 mess-ups with snap counts and the high snap.  I think he'll continue to improve as long as he's getting the reps on the field and it will make us a better team come playoff time.  I am starting to worry a little bit about Holmes and I have no idea what will happen if/when Holmes is healthy enough to play again.

I will say, I think we have a good problem in that Holmes/Harrison/Shipley all have some ability to play both C or G -- we have our pillars at T, but we seem to really struggle with keeping our interior healthy -- I hope Mewhort comes back fully healthy very soon, but it sure is nice to have several guys on the line that can play multiple positions just in case.

I feel for AQ, but I like the beef of the O-line with Harrison better. I thought the unit as a whole was pretty strong today. They were opening nice running lanes. Generally speaking (minus a few gafs), luck had a nice pocket and time to work with.

Shipley has performed well for us as a back-up when he has been called upon.  However, I think it is important to keep in mind that AQ is a back-up -- I am grateful for the effort he has given us and think he's done well on the field.

The problem with Shipley is that he is pretty limited, IMO, with both size and talent (i.e., he has a low ceiling).  Holmes and Harrison are younger guys with better physical attributes and more natural talent (i.e., they have higher ceilings).  I am sure the front office and coaching staff have appreciated what Shipley has done for us -- but in planning for the future they want to get younger and more talented.  Our young guys need to get experience if they are to succeed in being the future for us.  I also think Pagano realizes the Ravens cut Shipley and are probably pretty familiar with his weaknesses, plus they have a monster in Ngata at NT -- the thinking could have been influenced by the fact that a larger, stronger Harrison could handle him better than Shipley.

I think Harrison played pretty well other than his 2 mess-ups with snap counts and the high snap.  I think he'll continue to improve as long as he's getting the reps on the field and it will make us a better team come playoff time.  I am starting to worry a little bit about Holmes and I have no idea what will happen if/when Holmes is healthy enough to play again.

I will say, I think we have a good problem in that Holmes/Harrison/Shipley all have some ability to play both C or G -- we have our pillars at T, but we seem to really struggle with keeping our interior healthy -- I hope Mewhort comes back fully healthy very soon, but it sure is nice to have several guys on the line that can play multiple positions just in case.

" I also think Pagano realizes the Ravens cut Shipley and are probably pretty familiar with his weaknesses, plus they have a monster in Ngata at NT -- the thinking could have been influenced by the fact that a larger, stronger Harrison could handle him better than Shipley. "

This is exactly what I thought when they went with Harrison, in terms of familiarity that Baltimore had with him.

What are you basing your Holmes evaluation on? The guy has never really played. He played 12 snaps last year and has been a healthy inactive for the last 2 weeks. He has lost his job to a guy off the wire and now an UDFA. 

What are you basing your Holmes evaluation on? The guy has never really played. He played 12 snaps last year and has been a healthy inactive for the last 2 weeks. He has lost his job to a guy off the wire and now an UDFA. 

Didn't the staff say that Holmes was the starter coming into camp and was his job to lose?  He also was starting before the ankle.  In the little time he did play, he looked solid and the coaches said the same thing.  So now, IF he is healthy, and that does appear to be the case, there's something going on behind the scenes IMO.  I can't believe he went down hill so quickly or that Harrison (or Shipley) improved that much so soon.

The thing that I don't understand is why they benched Shipley and played Harrison instead of Holmes who should be healthy right now. Shipley played well so far but the Colts were high on Holmes and that was obviously the reason they didn't bring in a veteran in free agency besides the Costa misunderstanding. So replacing Shipley with Holmes would have made sense but playing Harrison is an odd decision. And don't get me wrong i like Harrison but he is a undrafted rookie free agent and is very unexperienced (which he showed with some bad snaps).

Pro Football Focus Grades for Harrison yesterday:

# Name Team Snaps Overall Pass Block Screen Block Run Block    Corey Linsley GB 57 4.1 -0.4 -0.5 4.9 2  Ryan Kalil CAR 66 3.3 0 0 3.2 3  Chris Myers HST 61 2.8 0.7 0 2 4  Jeremy Zuttah BLT 60 2.6 0.6 0 1.9 5  J.D. Walton NYG 71 2.5 0.8 0 1.6 6  Alex Mack CLV 78 1.7 1 0 0.6 7  Travis Frederick DAL 78 1.6 1 0 0.5 8  Rodney Hudson KC 52 1.5 0.8 0.5 0.1 9  Evan Dietrich-Smith TB 64 0.8 0.5 0 0.2 10  David Molk PHI 76 0.6 1 0 -0.5 11  Luke Bowanko JAX 57 0.5 0.9 0 0.5 12  Daniel Kilgore SF 71 0.4 0.8 0 -0.5 12  Bryan Stork NE 87 0.4 0.5 -0.5 1.3 12  Maurkice Pouncey PIT 70 0.4 0 0 0.3 12  Brian Schwenke TEN 70 0.4 -0.5 0 0.8 16  Jonathan Goodwin NO 29 -0.2 -0.5 0 0.3 16  Brian De La Puente CHI 67 -0.2 0 0 -0.3 18  Dominic Raiola DET 64 -0.3 -0.5 0 0.1 19  Eric Wood BUF 76 -0.4 -1.4 -0.5 1.4 20  Manuel Ramirez DEN 82 -1.3 -1.8 0 0.4 21  John Sullivan MIN 80 -1.4 -3.7 0 2.2 22  Tim Lelito NO 64 -1.8 -2.5 0.5 0.1 23  Peter Konz ATL 72 -2.1 0.2 -0.5 -1.9 24  Jonotthan Harrison IND 85 -2.2 1.3 0 -2.6 25  Nick Mangold NYJ 60 -2.4 -1.1 0 -0.4 25  Russell Bodine CIN 55 -2.4 -0.1 0 -2.4 27  Scott Wells SL 82 -3.3 -1.1 0 -2.3 28  Lyle Sendlein ARZ 59 -3.4 -2.6 0 -0.9 29  Doug Legursky SD 71 -4      

The better physical traits of Holmes is that he is just physically bigger and he is 4-5 years younger.  I am basing some of this on the fact that Grigson continued to call Holmes the 'center of the future' during the offseason and that the FO and coaching staff seemed to have a lot of confidence in him before he got hurt (at which point he was listed as our #1 center).  I am basing the fact that he can play both center and guard on his record at USC where he started 13 games at guard and 24 games at center.  Holmes obviously has talent, unfortunately he has battled injuries.  I wouldn't say he 'lost his job' to a guy off the wire, he was physically unable to perform and the UDFA that started for us last week had an injury in pre-season that limited his development.

Holmes has been a healthy scratch the past 2 weeks but don't forget he missed most of the preseason, and he is coming off an ankle injury which should be much more difficult for a big man to come back to full-force from than a hand injury like Harrison had.  Offensive lineman require a lot of leg strength (brute force plus joint stability) -- missing over a month surely couldn't have helped him here -- I imagine he probably has been healthy enough to play if we were in a real bind the past 2 weeks (which we haven't been), so it makes sense for me for the coaches and FO to give him some extra time/rest if they think he is truly the center of our future.  No point in rushing him back to get injured again if we've got the personnel to get by without risking further injury.

I can't but wonder if a trade is in the works maybe yesterday was a working interview for Harrison . I could see a trade in the works 3 centers on the 53 is not very normal I'm wondering if there are planning on shipping 1 of them to SD or another C needy team for a player or a draft pick .

# Name Team Snaps Overall Pass Block Screen Block Run Block    Corey Linsley GB 57 4.1 -0.4 -0.5 4.9 2  Ryan Kalil CAR 66 3.3 0 0 3.2 3  Chris Myers HST 61 2.8 0.7 0 2 4  Jeremy Zuttah BLT 60 2.6 0.6 0 1.9 5  J.D. Walton NYG 71 2.5 0.8 0 1.6 6  Alex Mack CLV 78 1.7 1 0 0.6 7  Travis Frederick DAL 78 1.6 1 0 0.5 8  Rodney Hudson KC 52 1.5 0.8 0.5 0.1 9  Evan Dietrich-Smith TB 64 0.8 0.5 0 0.2 10  David Molk PHI 76 0.6 1 0 -0.5 11  Luke Bowanko JAX 57 0.5 0.9 0 0.5 12  Daniel Kilgore SF 71 0.4 0.8 0 -0.5 12  Bryan Stork NE 87 0.4 0.5 -0.5 1.3 12  Maurkice Pouncey PIT 70 0.4 0 0 0.3 12  Brian Schwenke TEN 70 0.4 -0.5 0 0.8 16  Jonathan Goodwin NO 29 -0.2 -0.5 0 0.3 16  Brian De La Puente CHI 67 -0.2 0 0 -0.3 18  Dominic Raiola DET 64 -0.3 -0.5 0 0.1 19  Eric Wood BUF 76 -0.4 -1.4 -0.5 1.4 20  Manuel Ramirez DEN 82 -1.3 -1.8 0 0.4 21  John Sullivan MIN 80 -1.4 -3.7 0 2.2 22  Tim Lelito NO 64 -1.8 -2.5 0.5 0.1 23  Peter Konz ATL 72 -2.1 0.2 -0.5 -1.9 24  Jonotthan Harrison IND 85 -2.2 1.3 0 -2.6 25  Nick Mangold NYJ 60 -2.4 -1.1 0 -0.4 25  Russell Bodine CIN 55 -2.4 -0.1 0 -2.4 27  Scott Wells SL 82 -3.3 -1.1 0 -2.3 28  Lyle Sendlein ARZ 59 -3.4 -2.6 0 -0.9 29  Doug Legursky SD 71 -4      

Thanks for the headache trying to decipher that. 

So does that mean he was graded out with the 6th poorest score?

I can't but wonder if a trade is in the works maybe yesterday was a working interview for Harrison . I could see a trade in the works 3 centers on the 53 is not very normal I'm wondering if there are planning on shipping 1 of them to SD or another C needy team for a player or a draft pick .

I will literally LOL if they wind up trading Shipley again for another late round pick.  

The better physical traits of Holmes is that he is just physically bigger and he is 4-5 years younger. I am basing some of this on the fact that Grigson continued to call Holmes the 'center of the future' during the offseason and that the FO and coaching staff seemed to have a lot of confidence in him before he got hurt (at which point he was listed as our #1 center). I am basing the fact that he can play both center and guard on his record at USC where he started 13 games at guard and 24 games at center. Holmes obviously has talent, unfortunately he has battled injuries. I wouldn't say he 'lost his job' to a guy off the wire, he was physically unable to perform and the UDFA that started for us last week had an injury in pre-season that limited his development.

Holmes has been a healthy scratch the past 2 weeks but don't forget he missed most of the preseason, and he is coming off an ankle injury which should be much more difficult for a big man to come back to full-force from than a hand injury like Harrison had. Offensive lineman require a lot of leg strength (brute force plus joint stability) -- missing over a month surely couldn't have helped him here -- I imagine he probably has been healthy enough to play if we were in a real bind the past 2 weeks (which we haven't been), so it makes sense for me for the coaches and FO to give him some extra time/rest if they think he is truly the center of our future. No point in rushing him back to get injured again if we've got the personnel to get by without risking further injury.

I am going to stop with my phone that always happens. sorry.

Holmes has always had injury problems. He is healthy and not even dressing that says about all it can. He has been here 2 yrs done nothing at one of our weakest positions.

Do you think Art Jones high ankle sprain who is playing on a new team is going to sit extra time to get extra healthy?? Reitz high ankle sprain as soon as he was healthy to the active roster. Mewhort who is a rookie will he sit longer than necessary? He is another another ankle. I am guessing not.

There is something going on with Holmes for sure but I think you really have to use your imagination to think it has anything to do with his high ceiling. Usually the best players play. I can't remember anyone needing 2 yrs to adjust to the NFL coming out of college. If he was the best C on the team why would we be messing around with an UDFA?

We wouldn't be.

I think all that you said is about as well as it can be said right now in lieu of more information than is currently available.

The other thing I'd add is that the only people that believe AQ Shipley is a starter in this league are some fans around here.  Not even AQ Shipley himself believes that.  Sure, he wants it, maybe hopes it, but he doesn't believe it.  This is his 6th year in the league....counting the year he was out of the league.  He has to understand by now how the deal works.

Holmes has always had injury problems. He is healthy and not even dressing that says about all it can. He has been here 2 yrs done nothing at one of our weakest positions.

Do you think Art Jones high ankle sprain who is playing on a new team is going to sit extra time to get extra healthy?? Reitz high ankle sprain as soon as he was healthy to the active roster. Mewhort who is a rookie will he sit longer than necessary? He is another another ankle. I am guessing not.

There is something going on with Holmes for sure but I think you really have to use your imagination to think it has anything to do with his high ceiling. Usually the best players play. I can't remember anyone needing 2 yrs to adjust to the NFL coming out of college. If he was the best C on the team why would we be messing around with an UDFA?

We wouldn't be.

Every ankle injury is different.  If the coaches were not confident in Holmes' ability we would have done more than get Phil Costa in the offseason (and much more than that after Costa retired).  I've sprained both my ankles more than once and can say each time was very different compared to the others.  Harrison was rated as  a top 10 C in college last year and was projected to get drafted -- I think, as Pagano and Grigs have said, we got a steal with him.  It's not that uncommon for UDFA rookies to have solid careers on the O-Line -- there is a reason AQ Shipley spent 2 years on the practice squad before becoming a backup to Satele and then got cut.  I am happy with what he's done, but I am pretty sure that Holmes and Harrison are in the FO's future thoughts a lot more than AQ is.

I think all that you said is about as well as it can be said right now in lieu of more information than is currently available.

The other thing I'd add is that the only people that believe AQ Shipley is a starter in this league are some fans around here.  Not even AQ Shipley himself believes that.  Sure, he wants it, maybe hopes it, but he doesn't believe it.  This is his 6th year in the league....counting the year he was out of the league.  He has to understand by now how the deal works.

Out of likes.

We wouldn't be.

You are lost in the maze on this one, not that things are clear.

" I also think Pagano realizes the Ravens cut Shipley and are probably pretty familiar with his weaknesses, plus they have a monster in Ngata at NT -- the thinking could have been influenced by the fact that a larger, stronger Harrison could handle him better than Shipley. "

This is exactly what I thought when they went with Harrison, in terms of familiarity that Baltimore had with him.

Ngata is a DE not a NT.  And players play against their previous teams all the time in the NFL, it doesn't make any sense to pull a player out for that reason.

How bad does Khaled Holmes have to be to continuously be a healthy scratch week after week? And if he really is that bad, you've got to wonder why they didn't bring in a veteran in the off-season. Phil Costa doesn't count.

You do have to wonder but, IMO you can't question why they didn't bring in a veteran and immediately dismiss the veteran they brought in.

Ngata is a DE not a NT.  And players play against their previous teams all the time in the NFL, it doesn't make any sense to pull a player out for that reason.

Agreed. I don't think this has anything to do with it at all. Mewhort's injury is my guess. None of this started until it was announced he would be out. Could be not having faith in guard depth. Shipley was guard for the Ravens last season, so maybe they felt that the personnel moves made for yesterday kept the best 5 linemen on the field.

I think the colts could get back one powder blue jersey signed by Lance Alworth......maybe.