Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Suspect play calling but all that matters is the W

Coaching sux

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A new poster shows up with a handle of "Coaching Sux"  and sure enough,  he lives up to his handle.

Then makes about a dozen posts in the thread to explain and defend his position.

Something tells me he's going to have criticism's of the coaching from now until the end of time!

Oh boy!      Fun times ahead!

Brad Wells?!?     Is that you?!?

p.s. -- you might want to consider changing your handle....   I suspect it's going to bring you more trouble than happiness....

The playcalling has been terrific. I was a bit puzzled as to why we didn't have Allen in on that 3rd and goal INT that Luck threw. Nobody got open, and Allen needs more redzone feeds. But that's pickin' nits, Pep has won me over. It certainly helps when the players execute as they have been. 

A new poster shows up with a handle of "Coaching Sux"  and sure enough,  he lives up to his handle.

Then makes about a dozen posts in the thread to explain and defend his position.

Something tells me he's going to have criticism's of the coaching from now until the end of time!

p.s. -- you might want to consider changing your handle....   I suspect it's going to bring you more trouble than happiness....

I owe you a few 'likes'. 

Right. Four turnovers, and we're talking about a couple of play calls out of 80. Many legitimate complaints after this game, but I don't think this is one of them.

I thought this was a real solid effort by our coaching staff. I would have like to seen a bit of Hilton and Moncrief on the field together as it seems to give defenses fits due to the extra speed . But I think they wanted to give Luck maximum protection as much as possible. I thought it was a great win as there were some very big PI penalties that could have been called and Wayne had a couple plays that could have turned 1 FG into two TD's. Anyway , in my opinion the play calling was excellent.

Turnovers and sloppy play are the only thing that kept it close certainly not play calling. Griff was a mess today not sure what that was about.

I can't rewatch until the NE game ends. I try to reserve comment until I have seen it at least once without the emotion but I am not a fan of Pep and I didn't notice the play calling being awful today.

Good win. It shouldn't have been this close but hopefully it keeps our number down for the Houston game. I am guessing -3.5

Play calling was pretty good, however, I would have liked to see them run the ball in the redzone a little more than they did. The Ravens were playing A LOT of nickel when we were down there, and obviously due to our personnel, and I thought we could have easily exploited that. Lucks keeper score pretty much showed that. All in all though, Pep has been pretty much on the money.

ya I did......... in person. How many times does a qb roll to the right and come back to toss  the left? you cut off half the field rolling out.

If it's a designed rollout, I'm pretty sure it's done-so to where the numbers are in our favor. You cut off half the field but you have 1 against 2, or 2 against 3. Or if you clear receivers to the opposite side of the play, you have a one-on-one with a winnable match-up. The few times we ran it yesterday, it worked. So what exactly are you complaining about? Nobody cares that you don't like a play simply because you don't understand the function of it

I don't have a problem with a bubble screen to Trich.  It wasn't executed very well.  Complaining about the Qb rolling out to the right on a play shows a lack of football knowledge. 

My biggest complaint about Pep still hasn't changed.  He rarely calls two running plays in a row and he only did it three times yesterday.  First time Bradshaw ran for 4 and for no gain, set up 3rd and 6 which was converted.  2nd time TRich ran for 3 and then 5 setting up a 3rd and 2 which was converted.  The last time was Bradshaw who ran for 10 then 11.  Then they were just trying to run out the clock so then Bradshaw got -2 and the fumble.

About the only time the Colts run is on first down and rarely do they run after a running play so what you see teams doing is after a run they either come with some hard blitzes or then send 5 and have the other 6 covering zones.

nope not a new user been here all along

I don't have a problem with a bubble screen to Trich.  It wasn't executed very well.  Complaining about the Qb rolling out to the right on a play shows a lack of football knowledge. 

My biggest complaint about Pep still hasn't changed.  He rarely calls two running plays in a row and he only did it three times yesterday.  First time Bradshaw ran for 4 and for no gain, set up 3rd and 6 which was converted.  2nd time TRich ran for 3 and then 5 setting up a 3rd and 2 which was converted.  The last time was Bradshaw who ran for 10 then 11.  Then they were just trying to run out the clock so then Bradshaw got -2 and the fumble.

About the only time the Colts run is on first down and rarely do they run after a running play so what you see teams doing is after a run they either come with some hard blitzes or then send 5 and have the other 6 covering zones.

lack of football knowledge? lol you are right have him roll out so the D can use the sideline as an xtra defender. have him roll out so the field gets cut in half and the D can focus on one side of the field instead of the whole field

If it's a designed rollout, I'm pretty sure it's done-so to where the numbers are in our favor. You cut off half the field but you have 1 against 2, or 2 against 3. Or if you clear receivers to the opposite side of the play, you have a one-on-one with a winnable match-up. The few times we ran it yesterday, it worked. So what exactly are you complaining about? Nobody cares that you don't like a play simply because you don't understand the function of it

I understand it plenty don't worry. Try running a rool out against Seattle or Sf and see how it works

lack of football knowledge? lol you are right have him roll out so the D can use the sideline as an xtra defender. have him roll out so the field gets cut in half and the D can focus on one side of the field instead of the whole field

you realize that EVERY team in the league uses similar types of rollouts right?  They definitely have their place when used correctly.

John Elway went to several superbowls rolling out quite a bit

I understand it plenty don't worry. Try running a rool out against Seattle or Sf and see how it works

Just because the Colts run rollouts against some teams does not mean they will against every team. The coaching staff will scout upcoming opponents and generate a specific game plan for each opponent.  If they don't feel rollouts would work against teams like San Fran or Seattle then they won't run them against those teams.

Rolling Luck out to the right you cut off half the field so Balt can use the sidelines as another defender. Splitting Richardson out and trying to run a wr bubble screen with him.

You most positively roll Luck out to avoid pass rush up the middle. Besides the fact that Luck is fantastic throwing the ball on the run, and not to mention he has the wheels to run it for a first down at any time. <- this forces the D to pause for minute or leave a LB in to spy on him thus taking him out of coverage.

Those screens would've been great if it weren't for Thornton not blocking on the run. He whiffed a few blocks on those screens. Ultimately, getting Richardson into space is the best thing we could do for him. 

I don't have a problem with a bubble screen to Trich.  It wasn't executed very well.  

It wasn't even a bubble screen. None of the linemen or other receivers ran over to block upfield for Richardson. It was just a quick read / sight adjustment because the defender was playing 8 yards off. By the time the ball got there, the defender had closed, and Richardson wasn't able to make him miss. 

Yes lack of football knowledge.

If the Colts rolled him out regularly as part of their offensive strategy then you would have a point but to roll him out a couple of times a game is a good strategy to have it overloads the defense on that side of the field, especially against zone coverage which is what the Ravens played most of the time and makes for a quicker/easier read for the QB, it's designed to give the QB three reads within the same line of sight; one in the 5-8 yard range, one in the 8-12 yard range and one beyond 12 yards.

You didn't you know that you can't complain about Pep on this forum, did ya? : )

sure you can, if the complaint is legit.  However complaining about rolling out one of the most athletic QB's in the league against a team that can get good interior pressure is just silly.  Even Peyton Manning, the least athletic QB in the league, rolls out from time to time.

nope running a wr bubble screen with your 230 lbs running back was not a great call. Overall the play calling was good just a few weird calls

I watch a fair amount of football.  I have yet to see any game where there weren't a few "weird" calls.  Despite your handle, no reason to be overly nitpicky on Colts staff decisions.

Rolling Luck out to the right you cut off half the field so Balt can use the sidelines as another defender. Splitting Richardson out and trying to run a wr bubble screen with him.

first off the play calls were good if u think about it, luck rolls out right and the threat of him as a right a runner puts pressure on the def and he hits the drag wr or te on a flat, u come out in a run formation balt has run def in u split the rb out wide I'd Trent makes the one guy miss now u are asking a cb to tackle your 230 rb

Did didnt work out that way but were not bad calls just better defense