Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacksonville's letter to fans

Cynjin

I see absolutely nothing wrong with it, It gets completely annoying having other fans pass in front of you all game long or stand in front of you all game at other sporting events I could afford to go to, There are some that also CANT stand up to see around or over those that can stand up all game long. I think the penalties laid out by the Jags are a bit extreme but they do promote a good alternative in standing encouraged sections. Now everyone hurry and let a rip on the Jags for this!

Interesting, there was a person in front of me standing a lot at the Eagles games, and there was an elderly lady behind me that complained about it for almost the entire game. I had to stand to see in response, which starts a chain reaction. I didn't mind, but i can see why some would.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with it, It gets completely annoying having other fans pass in front of you all game long or stand in front of you all game at other sporting events I could afford to go to, There are some that also CANT stand up to see around or over those that can stand up all game long. I think the penalties laid out by the Jags are a bit extreme but they do promote a good alternative in standing encouraged sections. Now everyone hurry and let a rip on the Jags for this!

How did they get to their seats if they can't stand? I know in the dome their were sections for handicapped fans where people standing wouldn't obstruct their view

How did they get to their seats if they can't stand? I know in the dome their were sections for handicapped fans where people standing wouldn't obstruct their view

I understand what Gavin is saying since I am one of those people who cannot stand for the entire game

I can talk from experience it is not easy to get handicap seating

This post is going to be very non-politically correct.   But it still still be respectful.

I'm sorry......

I don't mean to come down hard on those who can't stand a long time....

BUT.....

This is a football game.    A freaking football game. 

Having passionate loud fans is key for any team wanting home field advantage.    And standing and cheering is part of that.

Anyone think fans standing too much is an issue in Seattle?    Or in Denver?    Or anyplace where the fan base is passionate?

The answer is "no".....

If it means that fans who want to watch the game sitting down eventually get tired of being unable to see and give up their seats,  then so be it.     Maybe they'll get bought by people who want to come and seriously support the team.

We're not sitting in a library, or a movie theater,  or attending a play.

This is like attending a concert!    People stand.    People cheer!    People go crazy!    The more the merrier!

If it's not to your liking,  then by all means,  give up your tickets and stay at home and watch on TV.

Apologies for being so blunt and direct, certainly didn't mean to offend anyone.  But this is a football game and that's the nature of the beast....

This post is going to be very non-politically correct. But it still still be respectful.

I'm sorry......

BUT.....

This is a football game. A freaking football game.

Having passionate loud fans is key for any team wanting home field advantage. And standing and cheering is part of that.

Anyone think fans standing too much is an issue in Seattle? Or in Denver? Or anyplace where the fan base is passionate?

The answer is "no".....

If it means that fans who want to watch the game sitting down eventually get tired of being unable to see and give up their seats, then so be it. Maybe they'll get bought by people who want to come and seriously support the team.

We're not sitting in a library, or a movie theater, or attending a play.

This is like attending a concert! People stand. People cheer! People go crazy! The more the merrier!

If it's not to your liking, then by all means, give up your tickets and stay at home and watch on TV.

Apologies for being so blunt and direct, certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. But this is a football game and that's the nature of the beast....

I see what you are saying to an extent. But there is fair way to go about this issue. Like having specific sections or something for fans that like to stand for most of or all the game. Every fan should be able to be equally comfortable and be able to attend and watch the game in person whether they wanna sit or stand. It's very unfair to say otherwise. And just because people don't wanna stand, yell and cheer their team on does not mean they are any less of a fan or any less passionate. You can yell, scream and cheer your team on sitting down you know...? And be just as passionate. Not sure how you think you are the judge of that. Standing and cheering your team on may be your definition of a passionate fan but that's for you, not everyone else. Some people litterally are not able to stand, does that make them any less passionate? EVERYONE should have equal opportunity!

I see what you are saying to an extent. But there is fair way to go about this issue. Like having specific sections or something for fans that like to stand for most of or all the game. Every fan should be able to be equally comfortable and be able to attend and watch the game in person whether they wanna sit or stand. It's very unfair to say otherwise. And just because people don't wanna stand, yell and cheer their team on does not mean they are any less of a fan or any less passionate. You can yell, scream and cheer your team on sitting down you know...? And be just as passionate. Not sure how you think you are the judge of that. Standing and cheering your team on may be your definition of a passionate fan but that's for you, not everyone else. Some people litterally are not able to stand, does that make them any less passionate? EVERYONE should have equal opportunity!

Agree

I had seats in the end zone once and the guys in the very front row chose to stand the entire game

This meant that our entire section had to stand the entire game, although I noticed with envy that other sections were often seated and ours seemed to be the only section in continuous stand mode

also since I am short it meant that I saw none of the game except on the jumbo

I appreciate what you're saying.....   but in many places,  the vast majority of fans stand for more than half of the game.

Now, perhaps this is more of an issue at the college level, where fan spirit and cheering is much more encouraged.

But using Seattle as the Gold Standard for fan support,  the idea of "sections" where fans could stand and cheer would never fly.

Because almost all the fans are standing and cheering.     Those who want to sit are in the extreme minority.

I appreciate what you're saying.....   but in many places,  the vast majority of fans stand for more than half of the game.

Now, perhaps this is more of an issue at the college level, where fan spirit and cheering is much more encouraged.

But using Seattle as the Gold Standard for fan support,  the idea of "sections" where fans could stand and cheer would never fly.

Because almost all the fans are standing and cheering.     Those who want to sit are in the extreme minority.

I do attend Colts games once in a while. I can't stand for long periods of time just like I cant walk for very long at a time without having to take a break. Just because you feel like I am not able to stand during the whole game I should give up my seats or my ticket? Does that make me any less of a fan because I am disabled? Do I have any rights? I paid the same amount of money for my seats and you are telling me I shouldn't be able to use them? You say I am in a minority? Well all Minorities have just as many rights as you. You call it blunt and direct? I call it being very inconsiderate to other. There are a couple of other words I would like to say to you but I don't want to get banned.

I do attend Colts games once in a while. I can't stand for long periods of time just like I cant walk for very long at a time without having to take a break. Just because you feel like I am not able to stand during the whole game I should give up my seats or my ticket? Does that make me any less of a fan because I am disabled? Do I have any rights? I paid the same amount of money for my seats and you are telling me I shouldn't be able to use them? You say I am in a minority? Well all Minorities have just as many rights as you. You call it blunt and direct? I call it being very inconsiderate to other. There are a couple of other words I would like to say to you but I don't want to get banned.

I'm sorry, I meant no disrespect...   even if it came out of that way...

If you're disabled...   then hopefully there will be available seating for the disabled which will give you good viewing.   I would think that's win-win for everyone.

I'm not saying you HAVE to sell your tickets.   Only that people go to a game to stand up and cheer and yell... 

My preference is to have an environment where fans feel free to stand and cheer,  rather than worry about fans who are behind them yelling "down in front!!"....

One last thought.....   if you're still interested in say those few choice words to me but don't want to get banned....  send me a private message!    Seriously.   I'll read it and respond.   I don't offend easily and if you want to vent -- then by all means -- vent.

Maybe we can find some common ground in a private message....

I appreciate what you're saying..... but in many places, the vast majority of fans stand for more than half of the game.

But using Seattle as the Gold Standard for fan support, the idea of "sections" where fans could stand and cheer would never fly.

Because almost all the fans are standing and cheering. Those who want to sit are in the extreme minority.

Doesn't mean they should have any less opportunities or rights! Just because there are alot of fans who wanna stand doesn't mean that the people NEED to sit or HAVE because of physical disabilities and maybe can't afford the handicap seating should just be dis regaurded and have less opportunity. All fans have equal rights when they come to a game right? Or should people who stand be able to just do whatever they want because they might be the majority? And forget the rest of the fans. That a very unfair and very narrow minded and selfish way to see it my friend.

Relax, If you go to many colts games then you know it's a very long walk from where you park standing in line to get into the stadium, then walking to your seat. You don't sound incapable of standing for a minute while the play is happening. You can sit between plays and commercial breaks. The walk to the bathroom and the line at halftime is a good twenty or thirty minutes standing

Just another reason to watch at home when you have a rich team that don't even appreciate what little fans they have that show up, they have to complain about it cause they aren't behaving the way they want to. Not to mention that these fans spend their money to see this sorry team lose and lose and lose.

Doesn't mean they should have any less opportunities or rights! Just because there are alot of fans who wanna stand doesn't mean that the people NEED to sit or HAVE because of physical disabilities and maybe can't afford the handicap seating should just be dis regaurded and have less opportunity. All fans have equal rights when they come to a game right? Or should people who stand be able to just do whatever they want because they might be the majority? And forget the rest of the fans. That a very unfair and very narrow minded and selfish way to see it my friend.

Can't afford handi-capped seating?

Handi-capped seating should be the same price as other available seats.

I don't understand what that issue is......?

sorry doesn't fly with me

I get standing during plays

But non stop standing is unreasonable and not so much indicative of your fandom as it is of you being completely inconsiderate of the people behind you.

Segregating disabled, elderly and short people to some other area of the stadium is absurd.

Show some consideration for the fans around you that want to see the game as well.  That's reasonable

Perhaps if you feel it is your right to stand the entire game.......then you should consider staying at home where there are not other people who also paid and also want to see the game

I get that you are talking about cheering but you are being very dismissive.  And I'm not sure where you get the math that everyone other than you and the people who agree with you are the 'extreme minority'

sheesh

People who stand in front of others at a football game or any other event for a long period of time should be required to leave.  Everybody pays good money for their ....uh....SEAT....and some (usually) big bozo player-wannabee who thinks he's influencing the game by standing up and shouting....renders other persons' seats almost useless.

Not to mention, most of us have to pay a hospitality tax just for the standium in the first place.  How much did we pay for all of those unused seats?

SIT THE >>>> DOWN!

:D

I'M NOT "YELLING" PLEASE SEE ALL CAPS BELOW INSIDE YOUR MESSAGE FOR CONTEXT:

This post is going to be very non-politically correct.   But it still still be respectful.

I'm sorry......

BUT.....

This is a football game.    A freaking football game. 

Having passionate loud fans is key for any team wanting home field advantage.    And standing and cheering is part of that.

Anyone think fans standing too much is an issue in Seattle?    Or in Denver?    Or anyplace where the fan base is passionate?

The answer is "no".....

If it means that fans who want to watch the game sitting down eventually get tired of being unable to see and give up their seats,  then so be it.     Maybe they'll get bought by people who want to come and seriously support the team.  REALLY... YOU THINK THE VET WHO LOST HIS LEGS ISN'T PASSIONATE OR THE BIKER WHO BLEW OUT A KNEE OR THE GRANDMOTHER THAT LOVES HER BOYS ENOUGH TO BE THERE?  PERHAPS YOU DON'T KNOW SOMEONE LIKE MY NEIGHBOR WHO IS A QUADRAPLEGIC AND HASN'T BEEN ABLE TO STAND SINCE HE WAS 21 AND INJURED IN A CAR ACCIDENT.  HE LOVES HIS TEAMS TOO.  SAD...

We're not sitting in a library, or a movie theater,  or attending a play.  

This is like attending a concert!    People stand.    People cheer!    People go crazy!    The more the merrier!  GREAT, JUST DON'T STAND THE WHOLE GAME.  THINK OF OTHERS INSTEAD OF ONLY YOURSELF.

If it's not to your liking,  then by all means,  give up your tickets and stay at home and watch on TV.

Apologies for being so blunt and direct, certainly didn't mean to offend anyone.  NO YOU'RE JUST IGNORANT OF THE SUFFERING OF OTHERS, AND I DON'T MEAN IGNORANT AS A PURJORATIVE, JUST THAT YOU HAVEN'T PERHAPS EXPERIENCED ENOUGH OF LIFE TO DISCOVER THE OTHER SIDE OF THIS ISSUE.  But this is a football game and that's the nature of the beast....

Why does it have to come down to "go home" if you don't like it?  Why can't fans around a disabled person be sensitive to other's needs?  You can make noise, jump up and down and stand - just don't do it the whole game.  Take the time to ask someone if it's bothering them and adjust your behavior if it is causing a problem.  Selfishness isn't "being a great fan."

There are many people who aren't technically "disabled" yet aren't "able bodied."  Look around you every day.  Take a look at anyone over 50.  You might be surprised to notice how many move pretty darn slowly.  A lot of people have physical issues, but I guess only young, strong, self-focussed, self-centered people are "real fans."  

My husband has always been a strong, capable man who worked hard and helped others anytime he could.  He is now disabled - bad back and bad knee.  It's virtually impossible to get disabled seating as there's too little of it available.  We had season tickets to the Fresno State Bulldogs football for a while and got to know our neighbors.  They were very kind and helpful - as well as raucous and wildly supportive to the team.  They would help carry things out for us and invited us to tailgaiting parties.  Eventually, it got to be too much for my husband to walk the mile to the stadium then up the stairs and back so we watch what we can from home.  But as every football fan knows, it's just not the same.

NewColtsFan - someday you may be the oldster needing some kindness from young, blissfully-ignorant football fans.  Please remember this conversation when and if you do.  

It really isn't that hard to take the time to look around you at the stadium and consider others before yourself.  It's how our world used to work and it's a good ideal to practice still.

Can't afford handi-capped seating?

Handi-capped seating should be the same price as other available seats.

I don't understand what that issue is......?

It may be but some places it can be more expensive. You should get the point of what Im saying though. Equal opportunity to ALL fans because everyone fan a right to attend and enjoy the game. So every fan deserves a an enjoyable and fun experience. If that means there has be changes made in how seating is arranged and organized in the stadiums then so be it. There is solutions so that fans who want to sit or stand can both do as they please and enjoy the expirience. Niw whether fans like it or not... well that's on the fans.

Relax, If you go to many colts games then you know it's a very long walk from where you park standing in line to get into the stadium, then walking to your seat. You don't sound incapable of standing for a minute while the play is happening. You can sit between plays and commercial breaks. The walk to the bathroom and the line at halftime is a good twenty or thirty minutes standing

It takes me over an hour to walk from the closest parking garage to LOS. There are escalators and elevators to help me get to the right level. I am disabled, not invalid. I do stand to cheer and to go to the rest room if I need to. I don't drink a lot of fluids to keep those trips down to a minimum. We are not talking about standing and cheering. We are talking about people in front who never sit down and stand non stop. I do stand and cheer but I cant stand over just a few minutes Maybe the people who never have the consideration for those of us are the ones you need to tell to relax. What's the difference if you went to a movie and the person would not sit down in front of you? You would tell them to please sit. If not you can move. Well that cant happen at a football game.

sorry doesn't fly with me

I get standing during plays

But non stop standing is unreasonable and not so much indicative of your fandom as it is of you being completely inconsiderate of the people behind you.

Segregating disabled, elderly and short people to some other area of the stadium is absurd.

Show some consideration for the fans around you that want to see the game as well.  That's reasonable

Perhaps if you feel it is your right to stand the entire game.......then you should consider staying at home where there are not other people who also paid and also want to see the game

I get that you are talking about cheering but you are being very dismissive.  And I'm not sure where you get the math that everyone other than you and the people who agree with you are the 'extreme minority'

sheesh

I've made a number of posts about this....  and I don't believe I've written a single sentence that references standing the entire game.

If I have,  then my apologies,  that's not my meaning.   But standing for much of the game is fine by me.  

And nor have I talked about "segregating"  disabled, elderly and short people to some other area of the stadium is absurd.

I've only referenced disabled people sitting in disabled sections.

So, I don't think I've written anything that's come close to being "absurd"....

But you've done a fine job of misstating and misquoting me....

Talk about "sheesh".....?

I'M NOT "YELLING" PLEASE SEE ALL CAPS BELOW INSIDE YOUR MESSAGE FOR CONTEXT:

Why does it have to come down to "go home" if you don't like it? Why can't fans around a disabled person be sensitive to other's needs? You can make noise, jump up and down and stand - just don't do it the whole game. Take the time to ask someone if it's bothering them and adjust your behavior if it is causing a problem. Selfishness isn't "being a great fan."

There are many people who aren't technically "disabled" yet aren't "able bodied." Look around you every day. Take a look at anyone over 50. You might be surprised to notice how many move pretty darn slowly. A lot of people have physical issues, but I guess only young, strong, self-focussed, self-centered people are "real fans."

My husband has always been a strong, capable man who worked hard and helped others anytime he could. He is now disabled - bad back and bad knee. It's virtually impossible to get disabled seating as there's too little of it available. We had season tickets to the Fresno State Bulldogs football for a while and got to know our neighbors. They were very kind and helpful - as well as raucous and wildly supportive to the team. They would help carry things out for us and invited us to tailgaiting parties. Eventually, it got to be too much for my husband to walk the mile to the stadium then up the stairs and back so we watch what we can from home. But as every football fan knows, it's just not the same.

NewColtsFan - someday you may be the oldster needing some kindness from young, blissfully-ignorant football fans. Please remember this conversation when and if you do.

It really isn't that hard to take the time to look around you at the stadium and consider others before yourself. It's how our world used to work and it's a good ideal to practice still.

EXACTLY!!!! You said it perfectly!!! A little selflessness and respect never hurts anybody and general helps someone ir makes them feel a little better. But, in todays world it seems as if the attitude is Me..Me..Me..Me and what suits Me best, what makes Me happy, What nakes Me comfortable, how can this benifit Me.. and on and on it goes. I would love to it change though.