Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pass Rush [Merge]

lollygagger8

I have seen nothing from Sam to make me think he is better than who we have now. And Yes, it does cost something to get him and that is a roster spot, but, how is he on special teams ? get rid of Harvey to make room for him ??

I meant in terms of a draft pick and odds are if the Colts released the 53rd man on their roster right now if Sam didn't work you could get that player back. Also Sam showed at least in the pre-season he can get to the QB that is more than the guys we have right now have shown. It's worth a sniff. It doesn't even have to be Sam it's clear the Colts need help at the pass rusher spot. I am open to exploring options because the guys we have aren't getting the job done.

i like the discussion...pass rush

but, Werner (DE Junior) came as backup for Mathis (OLB) to learn two-three years...and what is?

Last year,he must play mutch time another role and this year he have 2 games against pros... at week 5 he should go behind Mathis to learn....but Mathis injury gives him again no time. He plugs hole over hole.

Thats not a good basis....

not so easy all the time.......

Walden plays his role,not more 

ILB pass rush....no sack yesterday

last week..werner 3 tackle solo /        walden 1 solo, 2 assist

this week  werner 1 solo  1 assist /    walden 3 solo 

first half the defense stand good...without sacks...

second half..too mutch ball loss by the Offense...the loss against Phili wasn,t a def problem.

Something is better than nothing right now lol

Just saying, you have to realize what you'd be getting with Dion Jordan. He's a limited NFL defender, though he does have more pass rush ability than anyone we have right now, I think. Someone mentioned a 5th rounder, and I'd be all over that, but I think it would cost more than that.

We are in dire need if an edge pass rusher with Mathis being sidelined. Mathis' production on the feild simply cannot be replaced any way you look at it, particularly with the absence of both Hughes and Conner leaving via free agency the past two seasons. Jonathan Newsome is a situational pass rusher at best and Werner is still very much raw talent and work in progress. Walden is good at stopping the run but doesn't bring much in terms bringing QB pressure. Mathis' injury is very much exposing the Colts' lack of depth at the position which is surprising given how strong they used to be in that area just a few years back. I too agree Bjoern Werner is better suited for a 4-3 scheme. He will certainly be under emmense pressure to perform this year and justify Grigson's decision to spend a first round pick on him.

I like Werner and think he will improve but he's more of a 4-3 DE then he is a OLB. I'd be willing to trade Werner and Fleener for Dion Jordan or an established OLB. Jordan is better suited for this 3-4 defense and Werner would be better with the Dolphins 4-3.

I don't think Werner is suited for a 4-3, really. I think he's a better fit for our scheme, but as a Sam backer instead of a Rush backer.

I don't think Werner is suited for a 4-3, really. I think he's a better fit for our scheme, but as a Sam backer instead of a Rush backer.

At Florida State he was a DE 90% of the time and was great at it, rarely rushed standing up. He's playing out of position for the Colts, doesn't have the closing speed and athleticism to play OLB.

At Florida State he was a DE 90% of the time and was great at it, rarely rushed standing up. He's playing out of position for the Colts, doesn't have the closing speed and athleticism to play OLB.

He has all the traits to play Sam, and does a good job of it for us. And because he does have some pass rush to him, he would still be a pass rush threat, and could even play the Rush spot a few times a game. Closing speed and athleticism are great, but you don't have to be elite at those things to play Sam in our scheme.

Also, plenty of college DEs convert to OLB in the NFL, and vice versa. We don't require our Rush backer to rush from a two point stance all the time. Often, our Rush backer puts a hand on the ground. Freeney did, Mathis did, Werner does.

I want to start by saying that I feel Pep called a great game last night. We had to control the clock by running the ball in order to keep the Philly offense off the field. We had the game won. Unfortunately, two costly turnovers ultimately cost us the game. 

The biggest problem was our defense. Specifically, our inability to rush the passer. I was actually impressed with our secondary because there are not many defensive backs that can cover NFL caliber receivers for as long as Davis, Toler, and Co. had to cover the Philly receivers last night. 

Bjoern Werner has been a major disappointment. I was optimistic this season given all the positive chatter coming from the team this offseason. Perhaps he is not better than a backup. Peters is a great left tackle, but Werner was an absolute non-factor last night. 

Erik Walden is no pass rusher. It is pointless to rely on him to rush the passer. He has shown his whole career he is incapable of rushing the passer. Solid against the run, but no pass rusher. He was going against a 3rd string right tackle last night and was largely negated. 

It seemed like the best pass rush came from defensive lineman Cory Redding. Considering that All Pro guard Evan Mathis did not play for the Eagles last night, I am kind of surprised the defensive line could not get more pressure. 

Unless Jon Newsome steps up or some street free agent gets signed, the problem is not going to get better. We are only going to play better offensive lines. 

Despite all this, I really hope that Grigson does NOT trade any draft pick to acquire another team's backup OLB/DE. We may actually be able to bolster our defense in the 2015 draft. 

Sadly, I am afraid this may be the year we pay the piper for a horrendous 2013 draft and lackluster free agent signings. This season for Luck is what the 2002 season was for Manning. The silver lining is that season brought us Dwight Freeney. 

The team has 3 problems: Grigson, Pagano and Hamliton. Don't get me wrong, I love Chuck Pagano as a person. But his "run the ball, stop the run until they run me out of here" philosophy is so out-of-touch with what the league has become. And Hamilton, I don't think he has shown anything special. And lastly, Grigson has proven very capable at squandering time, money and draft picks. I just don't see him as a team architect or even a great scout for that matter.

And to think Jerry Hughes already has 2 sacks in the early part of the season. Couldnt wait to run him out on a rail. Buffalo loves the dude.

One mans trash is another mans treasure. He showed glimpses at that point. I just think it was more so we needed ilber help more than we needed olber. Which obviously now we know didn't work out.

I think Werner needs to be the Sam moving forward. I don't think he has the pure pass rush that we need from a Rush backer.

It's a catch 22 situation because if you do that then you'll have an issue of what to do with Walden.  He's playing at the level where you can't just sit him on the bench for Werner.

I'll continue to say this until I'm blue in the face.  Please move Purifoy to safety so that we can upgrade our athleticism, swagger and size. I'm getting bored to death with Adams who is nothing but an unathletic tackler who makes zero game changing plays.  I'm getting bored with Landry as well, but I can't point to anyone on the roster to replace him just yet.

In regards to the Michael Sam issue I honestly don't think he would be any better than Chris Carter or Newsome.  I think both of those guys may actually be better than Sam as a fit for this scheme.

I'll continue to say this until I'm blue in the face.  Please move Purifoy to safety so that we can upgrade our athleticism, swagger and size. I'm getting bored to death with Adams who is nothing but an unathletic tackler who makes zero game changing plays.  I'm getting bored with Landry as well, but I can't point to anyone on the roster to replace him just yet.

Yeah we really have a two pieces of crap in a punch bowl situation going on at safety right now. It's unfortunate and atrocious to watch at times.

It's a catch 22 situation because if you do that then you'll have an issue of what to do with Walden.  He's playing at the level where you can't just sit him on the bench for Werner.

I mean, beyond this season. Walden is playing well, I'd leave him at Sam for now, for sure.

Yeah we really have a two pieces of crap in a punch bowl situation going on at safety right now. It's unfortunate and atrocious to watch at times.

I don't think it would take long for Purifoy to show some good signs if he was put back there.  Ideally if the time was right for it, I'd like to see a safety tandem back there of Purifoy and maybe Dewey Mcdonald(not time for him right now).  I pick Purifoy because of his size, instincts and speed and I pick Mcdonald because of his size, speed, and his tackling ability.  It would give us 2 young safeties that run 4.4 to 4.5 and are 6 foot and above. In all likelihood it's probably only possible this season to get one of the two so I'd be happy just to see Purifoy and Landry back there. I think that would have the possiblity of being a solid tandem for the now.

Most people here keep saying not to give up on Werner yet. If not now, then when? This guy give no pass rush and no pressure on the QB at all. He is a complete zero in this area and for the life of me I cannot see why everyone doesn't just say "bust" and get him out of here.

Well, you have Willie McGinnest on your side.  He basically said Grigson whiffed and Werner was taken way higher than he should have ever been taken.  This was last night on NFL Network.