Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

T.Y.Hilton - Colts have three No.1 receivers

Shane Bond

I don't think Hilton is a #1.  His game isn't complete enough to be a #1 yet.  I think his ceiling is a very good #2, complementing a more complete receiver like Wayne, Nicks, or Moncrief when he develops.  Regardless, our passing game has tons of potential.  Everything on offense depends on the OL; if they block well and open running lanes, the offense is unstoppable. 

You dont think that under the tutelage of Wayne that Hilton could emerge as a dominant #1 ? 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha gotta love this forum...

The team's young receiver makes a confident (possibly bold) statement in support of his teammates and forum posters over analyze the "validity" of his statement, which is vague at best as to what TY actually said due to the minimal quote from the article......

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/TY-Hilton-a-1-WR-Without-a-doubt/d1d0d3ef-ac44-4c16-a85d-5cafa6e979d3

The Colts wide receiving corp may be the deepest position on the roster, and T.Y. Hiltonicon-article-link.gif was not shy Monday when asked how good he thinks it is with Reggie Wayneicon-article-link.gif and Hakeem Nicksicon-article-link.gif.

“We have three number one wideouts,” Hilton said after practice. Asked to clarify if he views himself as a number one wide receiver, Hilton replied, “Without a doubt. All you have to do is turn on the film and watch me play.”

It's pretty clear what he meant and said.  It seems to be more of a validating statement for himself.  The league already knows how good Wayne and a healthy Nicks are, so he seems to be making the claim for himself rather than in support of his teammates.  Nothing wrong with us analyzing and disagreeing with him

You dont think that under the tutelage of Wayne that Hilton could emerge as a dominant #1 ? 

It's possible.  I've said that his route running needs development, and it certainly helps that he has a route running master in Reggie Wayne there to mentor him.  If his route running does develop, his game becomes more consistent (possibly as a result of developing his route running), and he can stay healthy, then I don't think there's much of an argument against him

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/TY-Hilton-a-1-WR-Without-a-doubt/d1d0d3ef-ac44-4c16-a85d-5cafa6e979d3

It's pretty clear what he meant and said.  It seems to be more of a validating statement for himself.  The league already knows how good Wayne and a healthy Nicks are, so he seems to be making the claim for himself rather than in support of his teammates.  Nothing wrong with us analyzing and disagreeing with him

Touche, I just read the first article posted from NFL's around the league, which was more vague as to what was actually said. And of course I know everyone is entitled to discuss, analyze to their hearts content...

I also know there are many fans on this board I WOULD NOT be sharing a brew with tailgating if their real life persona is similar to their forum persona...

Just saying...

I usually stay clear of threads that are obviously negative or full of doom & gloom, but I didn't see the negativity coming in this thread prior to opening...

carry on

More plays being made in more various routes.

Watch that highlight video and you will see that about half that TY makes the play on are Fly routes, Post Routes, and Corner routes, all deep routes.  This is where he excels and his excellent at these, I'd argue possibly the best in the league at these 3 routes.

He made a couple of good plays on each of the drag, out, & curl routes (medium routes)  He's above average here but not really good.  He fails to stand out here.

In terms of the short routes he made one run after the catch play on a slant and one play on a flat route because of good blocking.  He's maybe average at these at best.

To be a true #1 IMO he needs to be good or better at every route.  He's only good or better at 3 routes, above average at 3 routes and just average at 2.  

I would like to see him develop more in running those routes.  If he does that, and he shows he is durable enough to take the hits that come along with running routes towards the middle of the field, then I would say he's a #1.  Developing those routes more would also help him be more consistent in his stats per game

You guys are really reaching with this.  He's been in the league two years, of course he needs to get better an running routes, every receiver in the league needs to or needed to get better at running routes after two years in the league.  That is the reason veterans get more money than young players... because they have had more time to hone their craft.

As an example, in his 2nd year in the league Calvin Johnson had 9 games in which he caught 4 passes or fewer.  Hilton had 5.

It took him about 5 games to adjust to being the #1 WR and after that he was very consistent in his game.

But you guys go on believing that because he's not 6' tall or taller that he cannot be a #1 WR.

This same argument is on nfl.com with one guy calling all the colts receivers number 2 receivers and I strongly disagree. Any wide receiver that is capable of exploding for 200 plus yards in a game or converging first downs at high rate and beating double coverage is a number one. Bill B planed to take hilton out of game wen we played them last year. Y because he was the number 1 threat on the team.now with nicks wayne allen and moncrief joining him the pats will have trouble taking away anyone

Name a more dangerous wr trio I don't even think d Thomas Weller and Sanders is as dangerous as nicks wayne and hilton and then moncrief vs latimer thomas and Tammy versus f leener and allen

I wouldn't go that far. Nicks is still living off his reputation right now till he shows me something on the field.

I can definitely say that our 2 TEs put our receiving core top 2 if not the best in terms of receiving depth.

I also know there are many fans on this board I WOULD NOT be sharing a brew with tailgating if their real life persona is similar to their forum persona...

Agree. Here is the deal though. A lot of these folks, when they are sitting right across you, may not say the same nasty (in other threads, should qualify) or negative things that they dare to say hiding behind a keyboard. Anonymity brings out the worst, more than the best on the internet, IMO.

Every team has a "number 1" receiver...a guy they go to for big plays or to sustain drives or carry the offense. Some teams/players are better than others. Calvin Johnson, Green, Jones, Gordon etc are elite...we don't have that elite #1 but we do have 3 guys that can move the chains or be counted on to make the play. That said I will have to wait and see what Reggie is when he gets back if he is still there....and Nicks perhaps was that guy in the past....if he is healthy and motivated sure he can be that now....and TY is electric and I think we should get him more involved...so I'm not sure who that guy is on our team....if you need a first down which number you call...but I really like all our options...and that should make us more dangerous because teams can't key in on one guy to take away...or if they do we have plenty of options. With our TE'S and receivers we should have a match up problem to exploit if not more than one in every game.....if we give Luck time...and back it up with better running...we should have a potent offense.

You guys are really reaching with this.  He's been in the league two years, of course he needs to get better an running routes, every receiver in the league needs to or needed to get better at running routes after two years in the league.  That is the reason veterans get more money than young players... because they have had more time to hone their craft.

As an example, in his 2nd year in the league Calvin Johnson had 9 games in which he caught 4 passes or fewer.  Hilton had 5.

It took him about 5 games to adjust to being the #1 WR and after that he was very consistent in his game.

But you guys go on believing that because he's not 6' tall or taller that he cannot be a #1 WR.

It may also be worth noting that Calvin's 2nd year in the league was on arguably the worst team in NFL history (and he still went for 1300+ yards and 12 TDs...side question: how do you go 0-16 when you have a guy like that on your team?) while TY was on a playoff team, with a very good QB, and a great mentor in Reggie Wayne. 

Hilton's height certainly isn't an advantage for him, and I think he will need to develop his other physical skills more if he is to be a #1.  He doesn't have the tenacity of a guy like Steve Smith, the route running ability of a guy like Marvin Harrison, or the hands of a guy like Wes Welker.  The potential for him to be a #1 is there, but it will take a lot more development; he isn't there yet

And Harrison was listed at 6' but he was not 6'0, 5'10", maybe 5'11"

colts=photo.jpg

Ive seen marvin in person, hes probably around 5 10. 

Hes about even with T.Y

but marvin harrison wasnt really a LEGIT number one, he was too small for that  :lol:

I'm appalled. While I don't think we can say that he could go to any team and be the absolute #1 just yet, I love his confidence in himself. It's what will make him better and continue to strive for greatness. You have to believe in yourself and TY does just that. 

Perfect example, Seattle game he runs by Sherman catches ball on sideline. See's the safety is taking a great angle and stops on a dime letting the safety fly right past him and strolls his way to the endzone. You don't stop and sacrifice extra yardage if you aren't confident in yourself. Not to mention how well he stepped up after Reggie went down. I don't know how some people could forget that during the KC playoff comeback it was like Wayne reincarnated in the GB comeback. They literally knew the ball was going to him every play and they could not contain him to save their lives. 

It won't keep up. TY and Marvin should not even be mentioned in the same breath.

This is just asinine... you can't make that claim so early in a career

As of right now, TY is putting up some pretty dang good numbers. Sure he may not be considered a #1 WR right now, but Wayne wasn't considered one until Marvin left. But there is still some people that will classify him as the best #2 WR to play the game.

This same argument is on nfl.com with one guy calling all the colts receivers number 2 receivers and I strongly disagree. Any wide receiver that is capable of exploding for 200 plus yards in a game or converging first downs at high rate and beating double coverage is a number one. Bill B planed to take hilton out of game wen we played them last year. Y because he was the number 1 threat on the team.now with nicks wayne allen and moncrief joining him the pats will have trouble taking away anyone

Andrew was not very good that game. He has been very below average finding anyone but his primary pre-snap target. But it will be better soon, very soon.

And you can see given a LITTLE time, TY is running away from his defenders. He will be Killing the opposition consistently this season. JMO

Hilton's height certainly isn't an advantage for him, and I think he will need to develop his other physical skills more if he is to be a #1.  He doesn't have the tenacity of a guy like Steve Smith, the route running ability of a guy like Marvin Harrison, or the hands of a guy like Wes Welker.  The potential for him to be a #1 is there, but it will take a lot more development; he isn't there yet

Earlier you said his ceiling is a good #2.  Additionally, I would say that he does have the tenacity of Smith, granted it's been a long time since I watched Marvin's second season but his route running is right on par with Harrison and he has excellent hands.

Plus why, to be a number one receiver, does he have to have the best traits of three different pro bowl receivers?  I mean Smith didn't have the route running of Harrison nor the hands of Welker.  Harrison didn't have the tenacity of Smith, Welker while a good route runner on short and intermediate routes does not have the long speed or long route running ability of Harrison.

Just seems like an impossible order to fill that he has to have the best traits of some of the best WRs in the past 20 years to be considered a #1.

What TY isn't, is a Z receiver (flanker)... which traditionally is associated with being a team's #1 receiver. He lines up there on occasion, but he will probably never play there consistently.

Now, if you were to described him as our #3 Y receiver... then we have the best #3 in the NFL.

Whatever you want to call Hilton assuming everyone comes back healthy from injury when you factor in our tightends we are stacked with receiving options and that's before you get to Moncrief, Rodgers, and Whalen (and one those might not make the final roster.). That's what matters. Arguing over if Hilton is a number one or not is arguing to be right IMO.

He never ceases to amaze us. The guy is just a spectacular athlete. The game has obviously slowed down tremendously for T.Y. He knows this thing inside and out now.

- Chuck Pagano

Please what does he know?  Does he watch the games on NFL Gamerewind and focus specifically on TY?  No, so there.