Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Texans Should Name Fitzpatrick Starting QB

amfootball

That's not how BOB operates. The guy who can beat the defense pre snap and who can actually deliver the football without turning it over will be that guy. Way too early to make that decision with three guys in play.

So what you're saying is that you guys won't have a starting QB this year...

2a50a6de84db99fb075cacf498ea576791fc3bf5

No, someone is going to start. Fitzpatrick, Savage etc. are all smart guys and they have been getting drilled ever since joining the team. Our offense isn't going to be nearly as bad as you wish.

No, someone is going to start. Fitzpatrick, Savage etc. are all smart guys and they have been getting drilled ever since joining the team. Our offense isn't going to be nearly as bad as you wish.

If you like Brandon Weeden, you'll love Tom Savage. 

No, someone is going to start. Fitzpatrick, Savage etc. are all smart guys and they have been getting drilled ever since joining the team. Our offense isn't going to be nearly as bad as you wish, and the defense will be something to watch.

They might catch lightning in a bottle with Fitzpatrick - he's had his moments in the past - but long-term I don't see what the point is.

So in contrast to the thread title, I'd actually say "Texans should just name Fitzgerald backup QB".

Give a kid a chance. Worst case scenario you get a better draft slot while sorting through the young guys faster.

Aside: As a Rutgers fan I'd love to see Savage make it - although not necessarily in the Colts division. ;) At least he didn't get drafted by the Pats as was rumored. The 47 Rutgers players they have already is more than enough to give me agita.

They might catch lightning in a bottle with Fitzpatrick - he's had his moments in the past - but long-term I don't see what the point is.

So in contrast to the thread title, I'd actually say "Texans should just name Fitzgerald backup QB".

Give a kid a chance. Worst case scenario you get a better draft slot while sorting through the young guys faster.

Aside: As a Rutgers fan I'd love to see Savage make it - although not necessarily in the Colts division. ;) At least he didn't get drafted by the Pats as was rumored. The 47 Rutgers players they have already is more than enough to give me agita.

47?? Wow, you'd think Schiano was still working with Belichick lol. I hope the best guy wins the job but I think you're right too, the young guy showing what he can do is in our best interest so we know if he has what it takes to be the QB of the future or if we should hope for a good spot to grab a guy next year. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Well, I just read that BoB penciled in Derek Newton as the starting RT, so they're definitely taking those steps towards being a bad offense thus far.

Well, I just read that BoB penciled in Derek Newton as the starting RT, so they're definitely taking those steps towards being a bad offense thus far.

Yeah, I'm sure he wasn't expecting the guy who was going to take over to have lymphoma, and the other guy is still recovering from a knee injury. Newton is the only option right now, obviously.

That's not how BOB operates. The guy who can beat the defense pre snap and who can actually deliver the football without turning it over will be that guy. Way too early to make that decision with three guys in play.

I find the Texans QB situation to be the most interesting story in the NFL season. I do wonder if Clowney had not been in this draft if they may have went with a QB at #1. Perhaps they think Savage will be the guy eventually or they have their eye on someone next year. Fitz seems like a stop gap to me. A guy that can maybe get you 6-8 wins or perhaps more depending on well the defense plays. The other QBs except for Savage would appear to be back-ups for this season anyways and I would imagine at least one of them will be traded or cut after TC.

I find the Texans QB situation to be the most interesting story in the NFL season. I do wonder if Clowney had not been in this draft if they may have went with a QB at #1. Perhaps they think Savage will be the guy eventually or they have their eye on someone next year. Fitz seems like a stop gap to me. A guy that can maybe get you 6-8 wins or perhaps more depending on well the defense plays. The other QBs except for Savage would appear to be back-ups for this season anyways and I would imagine at least one of them will be traded or cut after TC.

I wonder too. My Manziel buzzer is going off lol.

After last season it could only get better? Right? :hmm:

BOB is a typical Billacheat disciple.     Arrogant as the day is long.    And a "genius" 

Reality will set in very fast...    Golly, I bet Penn St really misses this cat?   herehehehehe   Penn St is going to another level thanks to BOB getting out of dodge.         TY Texans...     Go BIG10

Texans get what they deserve...        

BOB is a typical Billacheat disciple.     Arrogant as the day is long.    And a "genius" 

Reality will set in very fast...    Golly, I bet Penn St really misses this cat?   herehehehehe   Penn St is going to another level thanks to BOB getting out of dodge.         TY Texans...     Go BIG10

Texans get what they deserve...        

Getting the best defensive player in the draft sure was arrogant ....

You know I was just pullin your chain a little! lol No doubt the Texans will be better with the changes that have taken place. I think the biggest impact will be in the coaching area.

haha yeah, I hope so because that's where it starts. BOB is a no nonsense kind of guy like Belichick but we will see if it actually translates to on the field production.

He's right. They should just admit defeat.

I won't lie. I did laugh at that statement. I do root for QBs with nice beards & Fitz has nice facial hair. I don't know maybe it has something to do with having more hair on my face that on top of my head. LOL!  Anyway... 

784x2048.jpg

It always perplexes me why so many people want the Texans to crash & burn. Yes, a division foe I get it, but with better AFC South competition comes a stronger INDY Playoff run in my estimation. I do not fear stronger rivals. I enjoy the challenge of seeing how good we really are. 

I wonder too. My Manziel buzzer is going off lol.

I know what you mean. I think he may have been great in Houston. Just seemed like the perfect landing spot for him with a new staff and a great D and some weapons on O. I fear he may fall into the great abyss that is Cleveland Browns football and all the haters will be saying "I told you so" but so much of a QBs success is where he lands coming out of the draft.

They should have just kept Schaub if someone really thinks Fitzpatrick is an improvement. "But he went to Harvard, guy is a genius!". Any other time, they are condemning good players for "lack of education" (AKA not going to a good enough school) but Fitzpatrick has done what exactly? Oh that's right, nothing.

They should have just kept Schaub if someone really thinks Fitzpatrick is an improvement. "But he went to Harvard, guy is a genius!". Any other time, they are condemning good players for "lack of education" (AKA not going to a good enough school) but Fitzpatrick has done what exactly? Oh that's right, nothing.

Good point except that Schaub lost his confidence and the faith of his teammates. They had to trade him. Fitz could end up doing well under Bob's tutelage. Don't forget he was in lousy Buffalo and Tenn.

Chadiha thinks the Texans should stop wasting time and just name Fitzpatrick their starting QB given he is the most proven QB on their roster, http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11075488/houston-texans-name-ryan-fitzpatrick-starting-quarterback-now

I find articles like this to be entirely lacking perspective, and annoying. If it were up to people like this, Russell Wilson wouldn't have gotten the nod in 2012. Just chill out and let the summer bring what it's going to bring. There's zero reason to name a starter three months before the season starts.

That's a silly idea.  

I think in Week 1 Fitz will probably end up starting for them.   But there is no reason to name him the starter right away when you havn't even seen what Savage has to offer in camp.

Fitz is just not that good that he should ever be named the starter before camp. . . EVER.

Texans just cut QB TJ Yates.

I don't understand this because he is better than Savage and Keenum.

Yates may be better than Savage at this point but the latter was picked to be groomed to maybe be the QB of the future so his roster spot was assured. Yates however is not better than Case as we saw when he got playing time last year. He was the QB in our first playoff win but it was time to let him go. I wish him luck.

Yates may be better than Savage at this point but the latter was picked to be groomed to maybe be the QB of the future so his roster spot was assured. Yates however is not better than Case as we saw when he got playing time last year. He was the QB in our first playoff win but it was time to let him go. I wish him luck.

Yeah, I don't think they want to carry 4 QBs any longer, since you want to get reps for Keenum and Savage. Savage obviously wasn't going anywhere, so it came down to Keenum or Yates. I think Keenum was more impressive than Yates, all things considered. Not that surprising of a decision.

I'm more surprised they made their starter official already. Sure, Fitzpatrick was always the likely starter, but why not keep the competition open? I guess it doesn't matter; if he doesn't play well, they can demote him. But he should be good enough to keep the seat warm for a while.

Yeah, I don't think they want to carry 4 QBs any longer, since you want to get reps for Keenum and Savage. Savage obviously wasn't going anywhere, so it came down to Keenum or Yates. I think Keenum was more impressive than Yates, all things considered. Not that surprising of a decision.

I'm more surprised they made their starter official already. Sure, Fitzpatrick was always the likely starter, but why not keep the competition open? I guess it doesn't matter; if he doesn't play well, they can demote him. But he should be good enough to keep the seat warm for a while.

Yeah, I'm as surprised as you are. Like I said earlier in this thread I didn't think the starter would be named for a few months but I guess that's why the coach is the coach. Fitz isn't on a long leash so you're right, no harm no foul when it comes to him starting.