Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Just read on ESPN that Ed Reed is planning to play in 2014.  http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11018106/ed-reed-not-retiring-hopes-join-team-later-year

Looks like he isn't willing to sign until closer to the season or mid-season -- but I wonder if his connection with Pagano will warrant us trying him out -- he definitely seemed to have lost several steps last year, but if he can get back to full health I would be up for giving him a shot on our roster for a year/part of a year.

I don't see why not if its at a bargain while he chases another ring. I wouldn't mind him playing towards the end of the season and the playoffs if he is the better option over Howell. However, if we are solid at safety and Grigs and Pagano like what we have then I will take their word for it. They are the professionals and know what they are doing.

Don't see the Colts wasting their time on this one. Ed Reed is going in the Hall of Fame, he needs to throw in the towel. I would hate to see him suffer more injuries and worse conditions just for continuing this.

I agree.  It's never fun to see an athlete stay in the game longer than he should.  Reed's season last year was really bad, marred by injuries and poor play.  Time to hang 'em up

I don't see why not if its at a bargain while he chases another ring. I wouldn't mind him playing towards the end of the season and the playoffs if he is the better option over Howell. However, if we are solid at safety and Grigs and Pagano like what we have then I will take their word for it. They are the professionals and know what they are doing.

Ed Reed was a HoF Safety.... Key word in that sentence being WAS. 

The dude has a passion for the game which you have to respect, but he appears to not know when to call it because he truly has lost a step.... or two... A real shame because he was a great player in this league, but he is done I think. He will probably get signed by some desperate team, but I hope it's not us because he will just get burned every time.

I think that whether the fans want him or not - or even if there was some kind of need there - I doubt we would pick him up because he doesn't want to participate in training camp. That time would be a lot of why we would take him, so he could help the younger players through camp with his knowledge & insight - and we could evaluate where he really is physically.