Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mathis suspended first 4 games of 2014.

MacDee1975

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on when his first positive test was. Could have been last season...

True but I am gonna bet that it wasn't. Like said above, Pat McAfee was tested after laying that killer hit on Trindon Holliday. You would think Robert would have been tested every other game.

I don't think it had anything to do with last season. This will be something that EVERYONE will say I am sure. They are tested all season. I am sure Mathis was tested after having 19.5 sack season and nothing was found.

Just asking, because I know they usually don't suspend until the 2nd violation. And he may have found out a way to get past the drug test the first time. 

Again, no disrespect. Just odd situation in general.

Just asking, because I know they usually don't suspend until the 2nd violation. And he may have found out a way to get past the drug test the first time. 

Again, no disrespect. Just odd situation in general.

No disrespect taken bud. I am trying to figure it out myself as well. I surely hope it wasn't anything sneaky on Robert's part. If so I am highly disappointed.

True but I am gonna bet that it wasn't. Like said above, Pat McAfee was tested after laying that killer hit on Trindon Holliday. You would think Robert would have been tested every other game.

That doesn't mean he didn't fail a test last year. He could have been tested every game, but he still would have received the benefits.

We don't know enough about the situation, and probably never will. 

It depends on when his first positive test was. Could have been last season...

With PEDs you get suspended on your 1st positive test.

"In the PED policy, players are tested at the scouting combine before their rookie seasons. Once they are in the league, players can be tested in the offseason, during the season and in the postseason.

A positive test results in an immediate four-game suspension."

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_23711278/nfls-substance-abuse-and-performance-enhancing-drugs-policies

That doesn't mean he didn't fail a test last year. He could have been tested every game, but he still would have received the benefits.

We don't know enough about the situation, and probably never will. 

PEDs are treated different then recreation drugs.  First offense is a suspension.

He claims it was a fertility drug that he did not cross check with doctors.

"It is difficult for me to address the circumstances surrounding this suspension because they involve very personal medical information, but it is very important to me that my fans, particularly young people, understand what did and did not occur. Like many families, my wife and I faced fertility challenges, and I sought medical assistance. I specifically asked the doctor if the medication he prescribed for me would present a problem for NFL drug testing, and unfortunately, he incorrectly told me that it would not. I made the mistake of not calling the NFL or NFLPA to double check before I took the medication at the end of last season.

"The union has worked very closely with me to present all of the facts and medical records for consideration of discipline that does not include a suspension because of the unique facts of my case, but the Commissioner refused the request. I am deeply saddened that this situation will prevent me from contributing to my team for four games, and I regret that I didn't cross check what my doctor told me before I took the medication. I hope that my fans will understand the unique circumstances involved here and continue to know that I am a man of integrity who would never intentionally circumvent the performance enhancing substance policy agreed to by the NFL and my union.

Who is the next guy up for Colts?

Bjoern Werner, our 1st round pick from last season, struggled last season, but stepped up his play towards the end of the year and the playoffs as he adapted, and I have high hopes for him. Also, Jonathan Newsome will play, he was our 5th round pick, and his body-type and athleticism has been compared to that of Mathis.

Ouch.. Obviously a huge blow to the defense..

I wonder if there is any chance for an appeal/overturn on the punishment if the reasoning behind the failed test is what he stated?

It still comes down to Robert being responsible for what he puts into his body.  If this was Brian Cushing or JJ Watt we would be  up in arms if he won a appeal.

Well while I can sympathetize with mathis if he was taking it for fertility reasons however... he still should have checked with at least the league first. Being a military member, I check any meds a doctor wants me to take with my unit prior to taking since we get tested almost monthly

It still comes down to Robert being responsible for what he puts into his body.  If this was Brian Cushing or JJ Watt we would be  up in arms if he won a appeal.

I agree.  You don't ask the doctor, you ask the NFLPA about the drug.

Bjoern Werner, our 1st round pick from last season, struggled last season, but stepped up his play towards the end of the year and the playoffs as he adapted, and I have high hopes for him. Also, Jonathan Newsome will play, he was our 5th round pick, and his body-type and athleticism has been compared to that of Mathis.

Werner/Cam Johnson/Newsome

Hopefully for your guys sake they play well, but that appears to be a pretty big drop off. A pretty big blow, somebody has to step up. 

Hopefully for your guys sake they play well, but that appears to be a pretty big drop off. A pretty big blow, somebody has to step up. 

Hopefully Pagano works something out for us that is unexpected or our offense steps up in a big way.....which I expect being it's year 3 with Luck and our offense should be healthy starting the year with everyone back and have more fluidity with our second year OC.

No doubt about it though, losing Mathis SUCKS BAD. I consider him our most important player not named Andrew Luck and he was a one man wrecking crew at times last year. And playing Manning without Mathis week 1 will hurt us too.

I cannot believe that the NFL suspended our entire pass rush for the first four games.  

All kidding aside, I hope this gets overturned.

I didn't know a player could get 4 games for a first offense...or has Mathis tested positive before?

No doubt, I have high hopes for Werner, I think he will be a very good pass rusher in his career, but i'm not sure if I was expecting it to come out this season, but hey hopefully it does!  :goodluck:, good thing is we have one of the top corners in Vontae Davis, and hopefully a healthy Toler to make the QB hold onto the ball longer, and in turn giving Werner/Walden more time to get to the QB.