Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade value at WR

BProland85

WR is really the only position to me where we are very deep. With that said, we won't be able to keep all 7 WRs for the regular season, so could we get something decent for a Brazill from a WR needy team? Im not sure I want to trade Rogers yet, and I don't feel that Whalen has much trade value.

If we informed Cleveland Brazill was available for a 5th round pick, would you do it? Im all for adding as much picks as we can since it's been awhile since we've had an ample supply.

I'd certainly trade him for a 5th.  I don't think we'd get higher then a 6th for him.  He's got a lot of speed but he's never been very productive.  Add to that a previous drug suspension.  

Whalen I think might get picked up on waivers but I don't think anyone would give us anything for him.

WR is really the only position to me where we are very deep. With that said, we won't be able to keep all 7 WRs for the regular season, so could we get something decent for a Brazill from a WR needy team? Im not sure I want to trade Rogers yet, and I don't feel that Whalen has much trade value.

If we informed Cleveland Brazill was available for a 5th round pick, would you do it? Im all for adding as much picks as we can since it's been awhile since we've had an ample supply.

ANY interest for a Brazill and his 2 route package, 12 catches in year 2, Luck connects to him in the low 40%.

Hard to find guys like that!!

Sometimes guys get injured so we may not have 7 available for the opening day roster. Possible anyway.

I'm not interested in trading anyone until it's proven that we have to.

I don't want to trade Brazil today only to find out that he's figured things out and he's a very good pro tomorrow.

We can trade him during August.....   once we've seen him in camp and pre-season....

The other area where we have depth (not star power perhaps, but decent depth) is at linebacker....   both inside and out.

Hopefully we can swap a linebacker for a safety...   do a deal like that during August...  Just thinking out loud...

I agree, i mentioned in a previous thread that i think Brazil might be shipped off before the regular season kicks into gear. We def are loaded at WR too loaded actually. if we can get some sort of pick for him im all for shipping him off rather than cutting him.

this may be a selfish idea, but why not put one of them on IR? wayne and nicks contracts are up and I doubt we'll resign both so we'll need that extra wr

I think they have to be legitimately injured in order to do that though.  That having been said I don't think it's a bad idea.

I just thought of this though, but perhaps Grif can go back on the practice squad.

The rules say you can only be on practice squad 2 years, but Grif wasn't on the PS his first  year, he was on IR.  

Granted that doesn't prevent another team from signing him away.  

this may be a selfish idea, but why not put one of them on IR? wayne and nicks contracts are up and I doubt we'll resign both so we'll need that extra wr

LOL. Cause it is supposed to be against the NFL rules. That said, New England got away with it a few times, until they got caught.

I think they have to be legitimately injured in order to do that though. That having been said I don't think it's a bad idea.

I just thought of this though, but perhaps Grif can go back on the practice squad.

The rules say you can only be on practice squad 2 years, but Grif wasn't on the PS his first year, he was on IR.

Granted that doesn't prevent another team from signing him away.

Whalen is not PS eligible. He was on the active roster for 8 games last year, must be on the active roster for less than 6 games to be PS eligible.

Edit: maybe he can, this wording seems to contradict itself.

- A player is eligible if he does not have an accrued season of NFL experience. Players gain an accrued season by being on the active roster for at least six games.

- If a player has one accrued season, they can still be practice squad eligible if they were on the 45-man active gameday roster for less than nine regular season games.

I don't want to trade Brazil today only to find out that he's figured things out and he's a very good pro tomorrow.

We can trade him during August.....   once we've seen him in camp and pre-season....

The other area where we have depth (not star power perhaps, but decent depth) is at linebacker....   both inside and out.

Hopefully we can swap a linebacker for a safety...   do a deal like that during August...  Just thinking out loud...

I agree we have depth at ILB and OLB now but not enough imo to warrant trading anyone...especially at OLB.  The guys I don't figure will make the team are less likely imo to fetch anything in a trade than Brazill would.  Maybe we could deal Sheppard for someone but considering the sub-par year he had last year I'm doubtful.  Honestly I think we'd have a better chance at trying to trade a defensive lineman rather than a LB.

No way we will keep all 7, but I don't think we need to try swinging a trade until about August.. Make sure there are no freak injuries in camp and see who looks to be the most ready now rather than basing their worth off last season.

The 4 guarantees to me are Hilton, Wayne, Nicks, and Moncrief..

I don't believe the other 3 will garner much interest, maybe a conditional 6th rounder at most

If one of the guys from UDFA signings beats him out i'm all for trading him and the colts signed like 3 wr through Undrafted free agents so why not any one of those guys could beat him out Brazill isn't that good anyway.

Eventho I believe Brazil has the talent of a 4th-5th, we probably would end up getting a 6th for him unless was a future pick.  I would've been all for shipping him out for a move up during the draft after we got Moncrief.  I like him a lot but we obviously don't need this much talent at WR.  It's a little ridiculous, when we have a need a safety and Center!!

What type of college receiver can a team expect to get when selecting in the 5th round?  A developmental prospect.  Brazil has shown that he has good physical tools, but needs further development.

I don't think its outrageous at all that a WR needy team would give up a 5th for him.

I think we might be able to get a little something for Brazil too. I think it was starting to click for him and GM's will see that on tape. The third yr is usually the yr WR's click. I really hate to see him go but if he is going we might as well get something from him. I am not sure it will be Cleveland after Josh but Carolina might have some interest. There a few teams that could use a WR. Please not NE I don't want him anywhere he could hurt us He has decent size, good speed, and can return K's. I thought he would break out this year don't think he will get that chance on this team. 

I am really interested to see what Thomas has if anything. He is big 6'1 210 broke TY's touchdown record in the Sun Belt Conference. If he is a player we are more than stacked up at WR.

I am against giving up anything on D from the front 7. It finally feels like we might be on the right track on D unless we are going to have to cut someone I would rather keep everyone that could possibly have trade value   Unless we get some crazy offer.

LOL. Cause it is supposed to be against the NFL rules. That said, New England got away with it a few times, until they got caught.

No, not unless he's hurt bad enough to warrant an IR designation.

Technically, you can IR a player without him having a significant injury. The problem is that, for a non-vested veteran (having fewer than three years service), he has to go through waivers first. If he's not really hurt, and if he actually has some talent, he won't make it through waivers. You'd have to wait until the start of the season to IR him without exposing him to the waiver process. So this is a nonstarter for Brazill, Whalen and Rogers, if you actually care about keeping them.

I think Brazill probably has some trade value, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a Caesar Rayford type trade right before the start of the season. If he has a strong preseason, maybe we can get a 5th or 6th rounder out of him. I wouldn't want to trade Rogers, and I don't think Whalen has that much value.

We can trade him during August..... once we've seen him in camp and pre-season....

The other area where we have depth (not star power perhaps, but decent depth) is at linebacker.... both inside and out.

Hopefully we can swap a linebacker for a safety... do a deal like that during August... Just thinking out loud...

I mostly agree with you. There isn't much need to make any moves at the moment.

The only place I part ways: a "very good pro" is born from the marriage of talent and opportunity. Unless a rash of injuries occurs, I'm not convinced he'll have much more opportunity as a Colt. If he is ever to become that "very good pro", it would only seem possible elsewhere, IMO.

If I had any say so, I'd showcase the heck out of Brazill in early preseason, and hope he shines. Then I'd try to get the best player at position of need I can get. (FS or CB, please). Hopefully that player is in a similar "tons o' talent but no opportunity" kinda sitch.

Whalen is completely expendable.  We don't really have 7, just Rogers and Brazill fighting for the 5th spot.

The NFL is not a league that will part with anything more than a 7th for a player like Brazill - unproven, but solid flashes and already got a 4 game drug suspension under his belt = 7th Rd'er max.  He is worth more than that to us right now, and there is no reason to initiate a trade until we are closer to final roster decisions.  In fact, I could see keeping 6 WR at the start of the year, and I could also see Brazill beating Rogers out.  Brazill offers a broader skill set including working the slot and solid special teams play. 

We probably can't keep 6 as injuries force roster moves, but we may be able to in September.

how about this, ATL needs a receiver for two reasons:

1) Roddy White is getting old

and 

2) Julio Jones is coming off of a season ending foot injury. 

I know it would never happen but just an idea ....Brazill for safety Zeke Motta straight up. and i see a few people on here saying 6th or 7th rounder for Brazill, well Motta was a 7th round pick last year. 

I think Motta could be a hard hitting safety who could fare well in Pagano's defense. he played in a 3-4 at ND and played the same safety position as Bethea did last year. and he is a big dude too at 6'2 215lbs. him and landry (when he is healthy) could put a hurting on some receivers and running backs. 

If the extra receiver is not needed why IR him and pay him anyway? If his worth is not worth a draft pick then cut them. I would think we will be hitting the top of the cap after all the players are signed.

I agree we have depth at ILB and OLB now but not enough imo to warrant trading anyone...especially at OLB.  The guys I don't figure will make the team are less likely imo to fetch anything in a trade than Brazill would.  Maybe we could deal Sheppard for someone but considering the sub-par year he had last year I'm doubtful.  Honestly I think we'd have a better chance at trying to trade a defensive lineman rather than a LB.

Unfortunately,  we do NOT have a DL to trade.

There are only 7 on the roster right now.    We need them all.

Unfortunately,  we do NOT have a DL to trade.

There are only 7 on the roster right now.    We need them all.

You're not counting the UDFAs, and that's understandable. But we only kept 7 out of camp last year, and if one of our UDFAs does well, guys like Moala and Pendleton become expendable.

I'm not expecting us to trade any of them, but they won't all make the roster.

Technically, you can IR a player without him having a significant injury. The problem is that, for a non-vested veteran (having fewer than three years service), he has to go through waivers first. If he's not really hurt, and if he actually has some talent, he won't make it through waivers. You'd have to wait until the start of the season to IR him without exposing him to the waiver process. So this is a nonstarter for Brazill, Whalen and Rogers, if you actually care about keeping them.

I think Brazill probably has some trade value, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a Caesar Rayford type trade right before the start of the season. If he has a strong preseason, maybe we can get a 5th or 6th rounder out of him. I wouldn't want to trade Rogers, and I don't think Whalen has that much value.

Whalen brings nothing. I would guess a team like Cleveland would give you a 7th … conditional 6th for Brazil. That IMO is about it. The real question is do we keep 5 or 6. If 6 , it's hardly an issue. If they need that 6th spot for another spot , then we might have to move a player with some value and hope to be compensated.

I think anyone who thinks our WR leftovers are going to bring us much on the trade market are perhaps living in a fantasy world. When you can get value in the draft like this year we see veterens barely make squads or get traded for 5th and 6th rounders...guys that are pro bowlers. I don't see anyone giving us anything for what we have. If we can stash Griff on the PS that is what we should do.

You're not counting the UDFAs, and that's understandable. But we only kept 7 out of camp last year, and if one of our UDFAs does well, guys like Moala and Pendleton become expendable.

I'm not expecting us to trade any of them, but they won't all make the roster.

Who won't make our roster?     The seven on our roster now?     Or the UDFA's?

At this moment,  there no reason to think that any of the 7 DL on our roster now won't make the final 53.    The UDFA's are big question marks.    They have to be practice squad level first, before their 53 man roster quality.

At this moment,  there no reason to think that any of the 7 DL on our roster now won't make the final 53.    The UDFA's are big question marks.    They have to be practice squad level first, before their 53 man roster quality.

Agreed.  it would appear that the only real battle on the DL is for Pendleton's spot with Kerr, and Pendleton played like a man at the end of the year.  Due to his age, however, I could see them going with Kerr if he shows enough.  The other 6 look very safe.  

Moala is overlooked, and very much a part of the rotation at DT/DE.

Who won't make our roster? The seven on our roster now? Or the UDFA's?

At this moment, there no reason to think that any of the 7 DL on our roster now won't make the final 53. The UDFA's are big question marks. They have to be practice squad level first, before their 53 man roster quality.

I'm quite sure he's saying all the Dlineman on the squad at the moment won't make the team. The UDFAs are on the roster now so saying "the 7 on the roster or the UDFAs" doesn't make sense, they're all on the roster for now.

I'm quite sure he's saying all the Dlineman on the squad at the moment won't make the team. The UDFAs are on the roster now so saying "the 7 on the roster or the UDFAs" doesn't make sense, they're all on the roster for now.

Fine.

The 7 VETERAN lineman?    Or the other rookie lineman?

Better?

We have 9 DL on the roster right now. All 9 won't make the final 53. I don't think any of the veterans are PS eligible (maybe Pendleton, but I don't think so).

The UDFAs are definitely question marks. But we're two months away from training camp. They have a shot to supplant guys like Moala and Pendleton. I have nothing against either of those guys, and I'm not trying to push them out, but they aren't untouchable. 

Whalen brings nothing. I would guess a team like Cleveland would give you a 7th … conditional 6th for Brazil. That IMO is about it. The real question is do we keep 5 or 6. If 6 , it's hardly an issue. If they need that 6th spot for another spot , then we might have to move a player with some value and hope to be compensated.

I don't think we'll keep more than 5. It would make sense to try to raise Brazill's profile and move him for a late pick, as he's not PS eligible. Neither is Whalen, and I don't think he'll make the final 53 either. I think it's Wayne, Hilton, Nicks, Rogers, Moncrief, in whatever order. 

We have 9 DL on the roster right now. All 9 won't make the final 53. I don't think any of the veterans are PS eligible (maybe Pendleton, but I don't think so).

The UDFAs are definitely question marks. But we're two months away from training camp. They have a shot to supplant guys like Moala and Pendleton. I have nothing against either of those guys, and I'm not trying to push them out, but they aren't untouchable. 

Pretty much this.  At this point I'd actually be a little surprised if Pendleton makes the final 53.  I'm not a huge fan of Moala either...he's not terrible mind you but not really anything special imo either.  Of course he's a good ways down the depth chart so he doesn't necessarily need to be special, but if one of the UDFA's shows some ability then I could see them going with that younger guy who has a higher upside than Moala who may already be at his ceiling. 

However, if we think there isn't enough depth to trade a defensive lineman, then there definitely isn't enough depth to trade an OLB.  Sure we could try with guys like Johnson, Adongo, Hickman etc but I don't think any of these guys would net us anything of much value in return...definitely not a starting quality safety.