Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Texans sign Chris Clemons

I guess that's why they're trying to trade away from the #1 pick.  They don't want Clowney and think they can get their guy later

I think it's because they want more picks to build their team. Manziel, Bridgewater, and Bortles will be gone before the ninth pick, as will Clowney.

Ur joking I first day of FA wanted him 5.5m a year

Whats he done as a starter to deserve it? Hasn't had 100 tackles in a season yet, only has 17 passes defensed and 4 picks in 48 starts.....72 games total, He can cover ground quick thats just about it, Not a playmaker

The colts could have more than signed this guy and he is a good S why they are going to really put an unproven player back there to fill Bethea's spot. P.S again Why?.

If I had to guess,  the Colts FO thinks Clemons best position is where Landry plays and that he can't play the position that Bethea played.    That's the only thing that makes sense to me.....

I think it's because they want more picks to build their team. Manziel, Bridgewater, and Bortles will be gone before the ninth pick, as will Clowney.

I guess that's why they're trying to trade away from the #1 pick.  They don't want Clowney and think they can get their guy later

Wow.  I had a complete brainfart.  I thought it was the pass rusher.  My mistake

If I had to guess,  the Colts FO thinks Clemons best position is where Landry plays and that he can't play the position that Bethea played.    That's the only thing that makes sense to me.....

I think that's it. They want Landry as the FS (their version of FS, anyway), and that's where Clemons is best. I wouldn't want Clemons in the box the way Bethea was. 

But I feel the same way about this as I did about the EDS signing. Good player, very reasonable price, would have loved to have him. I had him pegged at two years, $5-6m. Passing on him at that price is understandable. At $1.35m/year? Not so much. Our current players and whoever we get in the draft will need to do a good job to make people forget about some of the affordable free agents we passed on. 

Way overrated anyway

Where do you think people had him rated? He's a B- player, and he got C- money. I would love to have signed him for what he got. It's not the kind of contract that comes with a guaranteed starting spot, so if our in-house talent or a draft pick outplays him, then oh well. 

I guess we knew Clemons wasn't going to happen after Grigson made his comments last week, and then Pagano's comments that we'd be looking to draft someone. That's fine. Doesn't mean Clemons wouldn't have helped.

Where do you think people had him rated? He's a B- player, and he got C- money. I would love to have signed him for what he got. It's not the kind of contract that comes with a guaranteed starting spot, so if our in-house talent or a draft pick outplays him, then oh well. 

I guess we knew Clemons wasn't going to happen after Grigson made his comments last week, and then Pagano's comments that we'd be looking to draft someone. That's fine. Doesn't mean Clemons wouldn't have helped.

Just to me it seems as if some talk about him as an A player, Im not trying to pass him off as some Safety that would be more of a liability then a help to the Secondary...I dont think he would be....I just think we could do just as good and probably better in the middle rounds of the draft...or even late maybe in the draft, we need a playmaker at Safety....and to this point thats clearly not been his MO

I think that's it. They want Landry as the FS (their version of FS, anyway), and that's where Clemons is best. I wouldn't want Clemons in the box the way Bethea was. 

But I feel the same way about this as I did about the EDS signing. Good player, very reasonable price, would have loved to have him. I had him pegged at two years, $5-6m. Passing on him at that price is understandable. At $1.35m/year? Not so much. Our current players and whoever we get in the draft will need to do a good job to make people forget about some of the affordable free agents we passed on. 

This is the second year in a row we have passed on some talented vets that went later in FA for bargain prices. There is still a couple out there I would like to see Grigson throw bargain offers to ... but I am not holding my breath.

'We passed on'???

So, you mean we didn't ask about them, at all?

Or, they came offering to play for us, and we said 'no thanks'?

It's not like we have a divine right to anyone we want.

Perhaps, some players don't want to play for us(?)

Ridiculous, I know, but I suppose it's possible.

Never mind that there may be reasons we didn't want them.

I wonder if we've seen the version of Safety structure that is intended yet.  Maybe they want to use them interchangeably as has been stated or will yet morph into having a true playmaking FS role when the right personnel is in place.  Either way, I'm a little surprised that Clemons wasn't seen as a good bridge to the future at that price, but it tells us the truth about how our staff saw him.  

We tend to not believe much about what we hear this time of year, but we can certainly place stock in observed behavior.

The colts could have more than signed this guy and he is a good S why they are going to really put an unproven player back there to fill Bethea's spot. P.S again Why?.

There are quite a few teams with holes at S. He got Costa $$$, lmao. Why did No one Value him? He is proven!

Like those UDFA centers so many were desperate for. ;) 

I wonder if we've seen the version of Safety structure that is intended yet.  Maybe they want to use them interchangeably as has been stated or will yet morph into having a true playmaking FS role when the right personnel is in place.  Either way, I'm a little surprised that Clemons wasn't seen as a good bridge to the future at that price, but it tells us the truth about how our staff saw him.  

We tend to not believe much about what we hear this time of year, but we can certainly place stock in observed behavior.

The Ravens were able to play that single Deep coverage because they had argueably the GOAT correct?

Ed Reed had great ball skills and ran in the 4.3`s most of his career. What a nice tool to have. :thmup: 

lol trying to get another Ed. So having two guys back there that are good all around so you can better disguise coverages is a more doable goal. IMO Betheas value was in cleaning up for a Bunch of Bad play in front of him.

He was definitely a - player against the pass.

We will have a much better run D putting us in a lot more quality PR/blitzing situations.

A more rounded S than Bethea must be developed as we go knocking on the AFC Championship door in the seasons to come.

Definitely want someone other than Landry back there All the time, someone else that can chase some balls down.

It was understood that Clemons had meaningful holes in his game, so lets develope some guys that fit the scheme.

Pagano and his coaches have to be trusted at what he is best at and that is the secondary. Think, what/who would Ozzie draft for this D.

Running in the 4.4`s appears to be a priority for a CB.

There is a reason he signed for this much and a reason he was basically the last Safety left in FA. You've seen his ability and it was found lacking. We saw the best he had to offer and it was barely worthy of a starting safety. I'd be surprised if he even starts in Houston. I like Howell and Sergio better than Clemmons and I wouldn't be surprised if we start a rookie. Clemmons is a marginal talent that had already maxed out his ability....again...to marginal talent. Us not signing him had 0 to do with $ and everything to do with him having no upside and not being even better than our back ups. Somebody saw his name on a free agent list and since he has been healthy the last two years he was able to put up some avg numbers...but anywhere you read about him or even by watching it was pretty quick to see he was not special..and a guy that benefited by good health rather than any ability. I really believe safety is a position we can get someone to step up and surprise us.

I have a feeling our front office knows exactly who we want to draft at FS.

His name is Pierre Desir

He is a bit too slight even for the CB position, let alone FS. Keith McGill however, is not slight for the FS position. Dontae Johnson is not.

For CB, yeah, Desir is like a DRC that will start in about a year with good coaching, IMO.

He is a bit too slight even for the CB position, let alone FS. Keith McGill however, is not slight for the FS position. Dontae Johnson is not.

For CB, yeah, Desir is like a DRC that will start in about a year with good coaching, IMO.

I'd easily take McGill at #90, and while I think he can play safety, it seems like a waste to not develop him at corner. I'd go Brooks at #59, let McGill float between corner and safety in Year 1, and then put him at corner moving forward.

Might still prefer to trade back, get McGill in the third, Bailey in the fourth, and get an OLB as well. Then the remaining three picks can be used for a developmental OL, DL, ILB (I think Smallwood might fall to the fifth, given his poor timed workouts), maybe a scatback (Jerick McKinnon at #166 sounds good)...

Trade back from #59 and get #72 and #108 from Minnesota. #72 Attaochu, Marcus Smith, Van Noy, or Jeffcoat, #90 McGill, #108 Bailey, #166 McKinnon, #203 Deandre Coleman, #232 Justin Britt.

I'd easily take McGill at #90, and while I think he can play safety, it seems like a waste to not develop him at corner. I'd go Brooks at #59, let McGill float between corner and safety in Year 1, and then put him at corner moving forward.

Might still prefer to trade back, get McGill in the third, Bailey in the fourth, and get an OLB as well. Then the remaining three picks can be used for a developmental OL, DL, ILB (I think Smallwood might fall to the fifth, given his poor timed workouts), maybe a scatback (Jerick McKinnon at #166 sounds good)...

Trade back from #59 and get #72 and #108 from Minnesota. #72 Attaochu, Marcus Smith, Van Noy, or Jeffcoat, #90 McGill, #108 Bailey, #166 McKinnon, #203 Deandre Coleman, #232 Justin Britt.

The only thing that is off-putting for me about McGill is that he's already 25 and has only played corner one year in college. By the time he's a "legit" starting corner he'll be around 28 years old and up for another contract by the time he's near 30. 

The only thing that is off-putting for me about McGill is that he's already 25 and has only played corner one year in college. By the time he's a "legit" starting corner he'll be around 28 years old and up for another contract by the time he's near 30. 

I keep forgetting that he's 25, but that doesn't really bother me. You have his rights for four years, and that's an eternity in the NFL. More than enough time to get the next guy in line, if that's what you want to do. I also don't think there's any reason it would take him more than a year to be ready to start. He's got a grown man's body, and corner's routinely start as rookies anymore. If we work him in with Toler and give him some nickel and dime work, he should challenge for a starting job in 2015.