Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do Some Of You Actually Watch The Colts Play?

lennymoore24

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at Belichick draft history since Pioli left.  Not so great.  Anyone talk about firing him?  All Pagano has done is coached two back to back playoff teams.  But some people on there would rather he be fired.  Get rid of Grigson and Pagano, they say.

And it doesn't stop with coaches.  Here's some other brain busters. Donald Brown was a bust.  Richardson should be cut.  Castanzo is a right tackle.  McGlynn should be the starting center because we ran well ONE TIME he was the starter.  We should switch to 4-3.  DHB should be in the secondary.  The list goes on and on.

1) Running backs don't run well when their line can't block.  Yeah, I know, Donald Brown got yards, but they used him in different sets.  Had he lined up tight like Richardson, he would have been hit in the backfield too. Lets give the guy an occassional hole and then we can pass the verdict.

2) Not all GMs hit every draft choice.  And are you forgetting the talent Grigson is bringing in from other sources?  Werner actually had as good or better stats then pass rushers drafted higher than him.  Hughes showed some great flashes for a young player.  You can see that quickness.  When Holmes comes on, I would say getting Werner, Thorton, Holmes, and Hughes was a pretty good haul for one draft.  We aren't getting 7 starters every year!!!  If we were, that doesn't say much about our talent.  I love what he has done with Freeman, McNary, and the new guy they just signed from the CFL.  Those guys are like extra draft choices.  Nothing to lose because they aren't signed for huge contracts.

3)  Andrew Luck threw 9 interceptions the entire regular season.  The receiving core was very young after Wayne went out.  Yet we still got the playoffs.  Give Hamilton and Pagano some credit. You ever consider it might be Irsays MANDATE they play power football?  He doesn't want another Star Wars offense because he can see by the last four teams left in the playoffs, you HAVE to be able to run.

4) Finally, it helps to have some football knowledge when evaluating players.  Some of you are on here screaming about this player or that player.  It cracks me up when you read somewhere an "expert" like Chappell will say Castanzo should be a right tackle, so then you post that like you know what you are talking about.  He is not a right tackle.  I remember some screaming about Tim Jennings and how bad he sucked. How bad is he now?  Case of he was asked to give a huge cushion. You put him on a team with a good pass rush and he plays tighter, and he is pretty good.  Keep that in mind when you are calling for the head of every player.  Talent is talent.  I would bet the house if you put Richardson behind the 49ers offensive line, he is a 1400 runner.

So please. Considering assignments and schemes.  And consider if a player has the parts around him he needs. Quit calling for heads to fall!

You did ok on two and three.

lmao on 4.

Sorta melting down in your preamble. JMO.  Sit down, breath, think of puppies and sunshine.

Do you ever really watch "Castanza"?

"Castonzo doesn’t slide well or possess the athleticism to stay with speed-rushers to the outside in pass protection" Not that he doesn`t get killed by the inside rush Also!

"Castonzo would seem to fit best at right tackle, as his strengths seems to be more in line with what you’d want on that side. He’s dominant in the run game, but unless he Drastically improves his ability to kick and slide smoothly, he’s going to have a pretty low ceiling at left tackle."

Go find Adam Meadows to teach him his kick and slide move. :thmup:

I look forward to better guard play and the return of Allen so we can run better to the outside and inside of course.

At LT we have a top 10, maybe even top 5 run blocker and a bottom 10 pass blocker. NOT Ideal for your blindside. Yip, he`s a RT.

Look at Belichick draft history since Pioli left. Not so great. Anyone talk about firing him? All Pagano has done is coached two back to back playoff teams. But some people on there would rather he be fired. Get rid of Grigson and Pagano, they say.

The only thing about Pagano I don't like is sometimes, you gotta be less conservative.

Look at Belichick draft history since Pioli left.  Not so great.  Anyone talk about firing him?  All Pagano has done is coached two back to back playoff teams.  But some people on there would rather he be fired.  Get rid of Grigson and Pagano, they say.

And it doesn't stop with coaches.  Here's some other brain busters. Donald Brown was a bust.  Richardson should be cut.  Castanzo is a right tackle.  McGlynn should be the starting center because we ran well ONE TIME he was the starter.  We should switch to 4-3.  DHB should be in the secondary.  The list goes on and on.

1) Running backs don't run well when their line can't block.  Yeah, I know, Donald Brown got yards, but they used him in different sets.  Had he lined up tight like Richardson, he would have been hit in the backfield too. Lets give the guy an occassional hole and then we can pass the verdict.

2) Not all GMs hit every draft choice.  And are you forgetting the talent Grigson is bringing in from other sources?  Werner actually had as good or better stats then pass rushers drafted higher than him.  Hughes showed some great flashes for a young player.  You can see that quickness.  When Holmes comes on, I would say getting Werner, Thorton, Holmes, and Hughes was a pretty good haul for one draft.  We aren't getting 7 starters every year!!!  If we were, that doesn't say much about our talent.  I love what he has done with Freeman, McNary, and the new guy they just signed from the CFL.  Those guys are like extra draft choices.  Nothing to lose because they aren't signed for huge contracts.

3)  Andrew Luck threw 9 interceptions the entire regular season.  The receiving core was very young after Wayne went out.  Yet we still got the playoffs.  Give Hamilton and Pagano some credit. You ever consider it might be Irsays MANDATE they play power football?  He doesn't want another Star Wars offense because he can see by the last four teams left in the playoffs, you HAVE to be able to run.

4) Finally, it helps to have some football knowledge when evaluating players.  Some of you are on here screaming about this player or that player.  It cracks me up when you read somewhere an "expert" like Chappell will say Castanzo should be a right tackle, so then you post that like you know what you are talking about.  He is not a right tackle.  I remember some screaming about Tim Jennings and how bad he sucked. How bad is he now?  Case of he was asked to give a huge cushion. You put him on a team with a good pass rush and he plays tighter, and he is pretty good.  Keep that in mind when you are calling for the head of every player.  Talent is talent.  I would bet the house if you put Richardson behind the 49ers offensive line, he is a 1400 runner.

So please. Considering assignments and schemes.  And consider if a player has the parts around him he needs. Quit calling for heads to fall!

I agree with most of what you have said other than, Jennings did suck when he was a Colt, NOBODY was sad when he left, & yes he is playing well now. IMO Richardson is still a maybe as a player, & Holmes who knows.

lmao on 4.

Sorta melting down in your preamble. JMO.  Sit down, breath, think of puppies and sunshine.

"Castonzo doesn’t slide well or possess the athleticism to stay with speed-rushers to the outside in pass protection" Not that he doesn`t get killed by the inside rush Also!

"Castonzo would seem to fit best at right tackle, as his strengths seems to be more in line with what you’d want on that side. He’s dominant in the run game, but unless he Drastically improves his ability to kick and slide smoothly, he’s going to have a pretty low ceiling at left tackle."

I look forward to better guard play and the return of Allen so we can run better to the outside and inside of course.C

Castonzo was actually pretty solid this year he improves every year if the trend continues he will be good. He does have problems sometimes with speed but getting better. Will he ever be a top 5 tackle no, serviceable yes.

I'm surprised throwing BBS, but the only thing you got correct in your statement below is the spelling of his name.

1.  It's called a kick-slide not a kick and slide (I will admit that your term is descriptive of what they do but in 8 years of playing the line and another 15+ coaching I have never heard it called a kick and slide).

2.  AC's athleticism is not the reason he struggles occasionally against speed rushers, it's a combination of balance and anticipation.  If you really watched AC closely and looked at the type of player he was going up against it was speed rushers he struggled with, it was speed rushers with multiple moves because what would happen is he would start to overcompensate one way, his balance would suffer and the defender would come back with a move to take advantage of that.  That is something that is gained through experience.  His second issue is upper body strength to keep the defender at arm's length.

3.  If you think AC is a bottom 10 pass blocker you have not watched many LTs in the NFL.  Top 5 run, maybe Top 15 pass, easily.

4.  Meadows is one of my all time favorite Colt lineman but his kick slide was not great and also he was not asked to do it a lot when he was teamed up with Manning.  TO set up the stretch play and PAP the Colts would crash the tackles down and the guards would kick slide out and take the outside rusher on the play side and on the back side they were funnel the defenders towards the center so it was more a reach and turn(which is a forward or sideways step) than the traditional kick-slide (which is a backward step)

lmao on 4.

I look forward to better guard play and the return of Allen so we can run better to the outside and inside of course.

At LT we have a top 10, maybe even top 5 run blocker and a bottom 10 pass blocker. NOT Ideal for your blindside. Yip, he`s a RT.

I too think Costanzo would be a better RT than LT...for a lot of those reasons...even Saturday said that at the combine a couple years ago but that doesn't mean he isn't a decent LT. For the money and in skill to me he is right smack in the middle of the league...at RT I think he could have been a pro bowler. I was hoping instead of spending basically LT money on Cherilus last year we would have went out and got a stud LT and moved Costanzo to RT....because I wasn't sure about Cherilus...but as it turns out its working ok. Clearly the middle of our line is the weak spot and could use some help.

No matter what happens with Trent...I don't think he is going to be an elite back or live up to his 1st rd value we gave away. I hope I'm wrong...but I don't see anything on the game tape to give me reason to believe. He has talent...he lacks vision. I've yet to see him really find the whole quickly and hit it hard..or even get small to squeze through and then get big again. He dances a bit too much. You can only run with your hand in the linemans back for so long...and yeah he could use some better blocking...but that doesn't excuse him from finding a seem however small it is.

I agree we have made more right moves than wrong...but there is nothing wrong with us pointing out obvious mistakes. His brilliant moves in 2012 draft and bringing in Redding was followed up with a mostly uninspiring offseason in 2013. He supposedly brought in hungry guys that would perform and play hard for their contracts (and they did play hard) but it didn't transition into them being successful on the field. His great trade of our second rd pick for Davis was then followed up with a horrible 1st rd pick for Trent (even if Trent is successful it will have to be at a very high level to take a RB with our 1st rd pick). He has been very active in looking for talent all over by bringing in guys most wouldn't (Freeman, Mcnary) but that doesn't mean he has been perfect. As long as we keep a level head about ourselves and realize how lucky as fans we have a great team to watch...sure we can objectively criticize some of the lesser decisions we've made. We are very spoiled with success....but then again we know we have something special and know we are close and so some bad moves set us back.

Finally...to me a good GM can turn over a roster and make a successful team out of it.....a great GM can put the final pieces together to win a SB. Not saying Ryan can't get us to the SB with his decisions because a lot ride on the players but the room for error is small at the top..a couple weak drafts or bad trades and we get mired in mediocrity..even with a future MVP qb in AL.

I agree with most of what you have said other than, Jennings did suck when he was a Colt, NOBODY was sad when he left, & yes he is playing well now. IMO Richardson is still a maybe as a player, & Holmes who knows.

i liked Jennings. But then again, I actually know what I am talking about

Can this guy get a medal? I agree 100%. Especially with the Trent Richardson and Ryan Grigson statements. Since week 1 Richardson came here people expected 3000000000 yards and 500 TD's out of him, yet no one took into account that our interior line cant block whatsoever, and he is 22 or 23 years old, had to learn 2 playbooks in 2 years, and was thrown into the lineup. and to the people who hate Trent and LOVE Donald brown, and say we keep him, you need to watch the past couple years of his career. he cannot pass block to save his life (Miami Dolphins @ Indianapolis Colts week 2 2013. Just an example, watch the last play of the game.) Trent can pass block like a beast, many many many plays this year would not have been successful if it wasn't for Trent Richardson's pass block abilities. every time he was put in, the defense would stack the box and immediately hit him as soon as he took the handoff. Can you really call him a bust after half a year?! NO!!!! Give him an upgraded interior line that can run block, an ENTIRE off-season with the COLTS to LEARN the playbook, training camp, OTA's, minicamp and all that.

Next year I definitely see him proving EVERYONE wrong and showing why he was 3rd overall. No offense to Donald Brown, but since when has he been the best RB on the colts? since he played well for 7 games this year? I honestly would choose Trent over Donald everyday, any day. Trent is only 22 or 23, has a ton of upside, and has a tremendous skill set. I think judging him the way some *s on this forum and espn did is extremely unfair. Another thing,

with Grigson, some people on here literally make me shake my head. and reading Brad Wells makes me go insane. Werner was a good pick, he was injured many games, and had to switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4. This draft class was a very "developmental project" draft. If you want to talk about bad draft classes, go look at some of Bill Polian's latest drafts before we fired his salty self. Grigson won GM of the year and it is only his 2nd year on the job. He makes things exciting with trades. Some good, some bad. I don't know how any of you can sit here and trash Coach Pagano. That man is truly an inspiration. Last time I checked, a coach doesn't get fired for making a couple bad calls in the season. I think this organization is in great hands. And for some people saying we should switch back to a 4-3, you guys should really learn Colts football. we ran that scheme for years. Did it work? no. not really. I like the 3-4 and so should you. Another thing with the Trent trade, whether you liked it or not, he's here to stay and he is an Indianapolis colt and we should support him instead of trashing and bashing all the time. and that goes for everything, instead of trashing and bashing, try being positive. it makes things 100x better on here. Go Colts and have a great day.

Can this guy get a medal? I agree 100%. Especially with the Trent Richardson and Ryan Grigson statements. Since week 1 Richardson came here people expected 3000000000 yards and 500 TD's out of him, yet no one took into account that our interior line cant block whatsoever, and he is 22 or 23 years old, had to learn 2 playbooks in 2 years, and was thrown into the lineup. and to the people who hate Trent and LOVE Donald brown, and say we keep him, you need to watch the past couple years of his career. he cannot pass block to save his life (Miami Dolphins @ Indianapolis Colts week 2 2013. Just an example, watch the last play of the game.) Trent can pass block like a beast, many many many plays this year would not have been successful if it wasn't for Trent Richardson's pass block abilities. every time he was put in, the defense would stack the box and immediately hit him as soon as he took the handoff. Can you really call him a bust after half a year?! NO!!!! Give him an upgraded interior line that can run block, an ENTIRE off-season with the COLTS to LEARN the playbook, training camp, OTA's, minicamp and all that.

Next year I definitely see him proving EVERYONE wrong and showing why he was 3rd overall. No offense to Donald Brown, but since when has he been the best RB on the colts? since he played well for 7 games this year? I honestly would choose Trent over Donald everyday, any day. Trent is only 22 or 23, has a ton of upside, and has a tremendous skill set. I think judging him the way some *s on this forum and espn did is extremely unfair. Another thing,

with Grigson, some people on here literally make me shake my head. and reading Brad Wells makes me go insane. Werner was a good pick, he was injured many games, and had to switch from a 4-3 to a 3-4. This draft class was a very "developmental project" draft. If you want to talk about bad draft classes, go look at some of Bill Polian's latest drafts before we fired his salty self. Grigson won GM of the year and it is only his 2nd year on the job. He makes things exciting with trades. Some good, some bad. I don't know how any of you can sit here and trash Coach Pagano. That man is truly an inspiration. Last time I checked, a coach doesn't get fired for making a couple bad calls in the season. I think this organization is in great hands. And for some people saying we should switch back to a 4-3, you guys should really learn Colts football. we ran that scheme for years. Did it work? no. not really. I like the 3-4 and so should you. Another thing with the Trent trade, whether you liked it or not, he's here to stay and he is an Indianapolis colt and we should support him instead of trashing and bashing all the time. and that goes for everything, instead of trashing and bashing, try being positive. it makes things 100x better on here. Go Colts and have a great day.

'Instead of trashing and bashing'.

That made me giggle considering most of your post was a bit of a tirade.

Trent showed almost zero talent last season' so it is not surprising people have doubts. He's also young, and has the backing of his coaches. It's now up to him to produce. He has nowhere to hide now. Here's hoping he gets it done.

Asks if people watch the Colts play. Defends Richardson in his first point.

No thanks, stopped reading.

What people like you and I fail to see is how great Richardson really is. To the untrained eye it might look like he can't find a hole, is slow, and dances way too much, but not to the experts.

Grigson is a fool for taking Luck and not Richardson in 2012. Let some other team have the rookie QB who lead his team to the playoffs. The real jem of the draft was Richardson, 3.6 ypc, less then 1000 yards and only 2 runs for twenty. Simply amazing.

Then in his second year when handed the job of the starter for the Colts he right away set out to lose it, then he let his ypc drop to 2.9 ...... The guy is the league MVP.

If you dont think Richardson is the greatest of all time then you dont know football. Its a once in a generation type player who will dance around until a guy who has been blocked to the ground recovers and tackles him, very few players have those kinda moves.

Richardson doesnt know the playbook, because he is too awesome to learn it. Sure he could have studied it and contributed, maybe, but a man of his skill and talent would rather sit on the bench.

I bet everytime the Browns see Trent get tackled behind the line they regret trading him. Only the untrained eye would think that he stinks.

What people like you and I fail to see is how great Richardson really is. To the untrained eye it might look like he can't find a hole, is slow, and dances way too much, but not to the experts.

Grigson is a fool for taking Luck and not Richardson in 2012. Let some other team have the rookie QB who lead his team to the playoffs. The real jem of the draft was Richardson, 3.6 ypc, less then 1000 yards and only 2 runs for twenty. Simply amazing.

Then in his second year when handed the job of the starter for the Colts he right away set out to lose it, then he let his ypc drop to 2.9 ...... The guy is the league MVP.

If you dont think Richardson is the greatest of all time then you dont know football. Its a once in a generation type player who will dance around until a guy who has been blocked to the ground recovers and tackles him, very few players have those kinda moves.

Richardson doesnt know the playbook, because he is too awesome to learn it. Sure he could have studied it and contributed, maybe, but a man of his skill and talent would rather sit on the bench.

I bet everytime the Browns see Trent get tackled behind the line they regret trading him. Only the untrained eye would think that he stinks.

lol, but seriously. He insults the other fans on the board with "Do you even watch the games?" then he talks about (Paraphrasing) the only reason Brown "got yards" was because of the sets he was put in? He leads you to believe that Richardson would somehow do better if they put him in Brown's "Sets". Like the coaches are completely oblivious to all of that?

Oh, let's put Trent in Browns "sets", that will make him good.

Forget "Do you watch the games?" Do you even football OP?

Listen closely little guy, if you look back I said he is playing well NOW, When he was a Colt he played POORLY. THOSE ARE THE FACTS! Takes longer for some guys to get it?

Best not to fiddle with that one, HSH. Even when he's been wrong almost every post he makes, he believes he is always right. And he never suppers any claim he makes. Just random crazy assertions. Best to ignore.

Ok. So a guy gets a mass wall of text to "in smaller words" belittle everyone on the board and gets praised for it... wow

Plus his supposed superior football knowledge Imo isn't very superior.

We are fans, and allowed to critique, preferably with evidence in favor of said critique. If they don't just ignore pretty simple. Absolutely no reason for a thread like this. Dumb to even see on the first page. I'm here to talk Colts football that's it. If I believe Luck has a little gunslinger mentality and needs to tone down his interceptions in those playoff games so be it. I'm not a hater just simply stating what everyone could plainly see. If I want to say Trent isn't worth a first round pick (which 3.6ypc isnt) then I'm pretty sure I have a pretty sustainable case. Don't question my fanhood or football mentality.