Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How I would approach the offseason if I were Ryan Grigson

After seeing the Seahawks decimate the Broncos on the legs of a phenomenal defense and a sub-par offense, I would make some huge splashes in free agency by going after these players. The Colts should also have about $35 Million in cap space to play with, so I won't go over that on a per-year basis.

Brian Orakpo- OLB Redskins- He'd be a good complement to Robert Mathis, as well as a great mentor to Bjoern Werner on the left side. As well, he's a younger veteran, with at least five-seven years left in the tank. He'd be expensive, but I could live with a 5 year $40 million $18 guaranteed contract. Remaining Cap Space- $27 Million for 2014

Brandon Spikes- MLB Patriots- He's a premier run stuffer at MLB, and that's some help the Colts could use. He's had some disciplinary problems, but I think Pagano and staff can gain his respect and build a solid work ethic. 3 years, $8 million. Remaining Cap Space- $24.4 Mil for 2014

These two guys combined with Mathis and Freeman make a fearsome foursome for the Colts' linebacker corps. 

In regards to the defensive line, We leave it alone for 2014, due to the aggressive acquisitions in our LB corps with the lineup looking like

LE Cory Redding

NT Chapman/Hughes

RE RJF

This gives us some room to play in the secondary. For one, Cassius Vaughn won't be back- But we will replace him with another CB who Indianapolis knows well. 

Tracy Porter- CB Oakland Raiders- How can this guy not improve the Colts' defense? He's an obvious upgrade to Cassius Vaughn, and will cost a bit more as well. He can also solidify the secondary and be insurance if Toler (yes, he's coming back) gets injured. Porter would be relegated to a dime back and safety role, as well as a rotational CB to give Butler/Toler a breather if necessary. Bringing in a veteran talent at cornerback is imperative, and can only make the secondary better. What do we spend? Something along the lines of 2 years 5 million with a renewal option for another 2 years. Total left to spend- $21.9 Million

Porter's addition makes our CB rotation look like

Vontae Davis

Greg Toler/Tracy Porter

Darius Butler

Tracy Porter

Josh Gordy

Can't say that's too shabby.

Gotta resign our FA's though, so here we go!

Vontae Davis- He's a proven commodity, so we bring him back to the tune of 4 years 16 million. Yeah, it's high but we all love #23. Cap left in 2014- $17.9 million

Adam Vinatieri- It's going to be a sad day when Automatic Adam leaves, but let's keep him on the team with a 2 year 5 million contract with a one year opt out for both parties if he wants to retire I'll give AV $2.5 Mill a year until he's done kicking.. $15.4 mil remaining

Pat Mcafee- Don't want to burn the tag on this guy again, so we lock him up for 5 more years and pay boomstick a solid 2.3 a year for a total of $11.5 Million. We're still sitting on $13.1 Mil for the year.

Sergio Brown- Get this guy back on league minimum and he still gets a pay raise? Everybody wins. 730k. Total left- $12.5 Mil

Antoine Bethea- He's not played well enough to get a pay raise, but deep down inside, we know he needs to come back for everyone's sake. in 2013 he earned about 5.5 Million dollars, but he's going to have to take a pay cut this year, but he's ok with it to stay in Indy. 2 years- 6 mill, and that gives us two seasons to mentor a young safety as a replacement. Total left, 9.5 Mil.

Well, there is one position to address on the offensive side of the ball. That would be the center. We jettisoned Samson Satele, netting us a $4 Million savings, and we're going to put that to good use signing a center in this offseason. Who do we get? While the masses want Mack, we spent that money (wisely) on Brian Orakpo. Unfortunately, even in this fantasy world, we don't lure Mack to the Colts with 3 mil a year. 

However, we do get him over here on that $4 million we saved from Satele getting jettisoned! 

Alex Mack- C Cleveland Browns- I couldn't resist. While it may not seem realistic, I and most everyone who has watched Satele play the last two years is ok with paying 4 mil a season for Mack. We lock him up decent with a 5 year 20 million contract and a 1 million signing bonus over the first three years. That eats a chunk of our cap space for 2014, but we have less than 7 picks in the draft anyway. What are we looking at now? 4.3 a year for Mack, so we total 5.2 Million for our draft picks and UDFAs.

Well, it's all fantasy land and speculation until March 11th, but hey, who says I can't have fun with it?

Bethea doesn't "need" to come back. I want him gone. Loyalty doesn't exist, this is a business. We better not keep anyone around who hurts us more than they help us just for pity or money tied in them.

If you're bad, then you're just bad. Not everyone was meant to be good in the NFL.

Bethea & Satele should be on the list of player's getting the boot this off-season

Yeah man Alex Mack for 4 mil woooo

U 4got some ppls too !!!!?,!

Jarius Byrd for 500k 9 yrs

Jimmy graham 7 yrs 8 mil

Decker 10 yrs 3 mil

Hackeem nicks 3 yrs 30 mil

Brent grimes 1 yr 100k

And trade our 2015 1st 2016 1st 2017 1st and 2018 1st for megaton

Trade t rich back to Cleveland for their 1st and draft clowney

Oh and sign some low key under radar guys like Allen iverson, Priest Holmes, and randy moss And maybe grigs gets my stamp of approval....

Maybe

Jimmy graham 7 yrs 8 mil

Decker 10 yrs 3 mil

Brent grimes 1 yr 100k

Oh and sign some low key under radar guys like Allen iverson, Priest Holmes, and randy moss And maybe grigs gets my stamp of approval....

Maybe

I swear if I see another post about signing that bum Hakeem Nicks I'm gonna grow a Andrew Luck beard & pull the hair out of it when it grows :Gaah:

I've always said that it's way better to have a bunch of above-average players instead of 1-5 great players on a team, and a bunch of practice squad players as evidenced by the Polian era.

e.g. 250 lbs Keyunta Dawson at DT, 265 lbs Eric Foster at DT, and a bunch of no namers starting like Freddy Keiaho, Tyjuan Hagler, Gilbert Gardner, Stupid Peko, etc.

I'm a big fan of releasing Bethea and Satele.

Draft a safety and LBs there.

Sign a DT/DE in FA, C and G there.

Count that, along with all the players coming back from injury, and we're set.

I've always said that it's way better to have a bunch of above-average players instead of 1-5 great players on a team, and a bunch of practice squad players as evidenced by the Polian era.

e.g. 250 lbs Keyunta Dawson at DT, 265 lbs Eric Foster at DT, and a bunch of no namers starting like Freddy Keiaho, Tyjuan Hagler, Gilbert Gardner, Stupid Peko, etc.

I'm a big fan of releasing Bethea and Satele.

Draft a safety and LBs there.

Sign a DT/DE in FA, C and G there.

Count that, along with all the players coming back from injury, and we're set.

This has been my philosophy for a long time.

Look at Adrian Peterson, or Calvin Johnson Jr. They're the best at their respective positions in the NFL and command a superb paycheck, but they rarely go to the playoffs, more the less win a title. 

Here's what I have for our lineup:

QB: Luck, Hasselback (or Dan Orvlesky (sp))

RB: Richardson, Ballard, Bradshaw, Choice

FB: Havili

TE: Allen, Fleener, Doyle

WR: Wayne, Hilton, Rogers, Brazil, Whalen (don't need to draft here, because we have Allen returning from injury, along with 2 proven 1000-yard-receivers)
LT: Costanzo / Xavier Nixon

G: Donald Thomas / Joe Reitz

C: Brian De La Puente / Khaled Holmes

G: Hugh Thornton / Mike McGlynn

RT: Gosder Cherilus

DE: Cory Redding / Fili Moala or Ricardo Matthews

NT: Chapman / Pendleton (or Terrance Cody)

DE: Arthur Jones (or Randy Starks) / RJF / Montori Hughes

OLB: Bjoern Werner / DRAFT PLAYER

OLB: Robert Mathis, Erik Walden

MLB: Jerrell Freeman / Connor / McNary

MLB: DRAFT PLAYER and/or Brandon Spikes / Kelvin Shepherd

CB: Vontae Davis / Cassius Vaughn

CB: Darius Butler / Josh Gordy / Sergio Brown

S: Laron Landry

S: DRAFT PLAYER or FA

WR: Wayne, Hilton, Rogers, Brazil, Whalen (don't need to draft here, because we have Allen returning from injury, along with 2 proven 1000-yard-receivers)

MLB: DRAFT PLAYER / Kelvin Shepherd

I am all for most of that roster, except that you have Cassius Vaughn on the team and Greg Toler gone. I am still hoping that the Colts sign a free agent CB to hole up the gaps, be it Dominique Rogers-Cromartie, Tracy Porter etc. or go after a bigger fish like Alterraun Verner or Aqib Talib and then release Toler.

I would love to get Byrd or Ward, draft an ILB in the second round, and spend the rest of the draft on the O-line and defense. 

At one point this season I thought we desperately needed another wide receiver, but with Wayne coming back and the emmergence of Rodgers and Brazill I think we can wait on that.  Plus we will have Dwayne Allen back, which should help in both the running and passing game.

I am all for most of that roster, except that you have Cassius Vaughn on the team and Greg Toler gone. I am still hoping that the Colts sign a free agent CB to hole up the gaps, be it Dominique Rogers-Cromartie, Tracy Porter etc. or go after a bigger fish like Alterraun Verner or Aqib Talib and then release Toler.

Talib is injury prone with that bad hip of his. You don't bring a known injured player to a city like Indianapolis who's known to be cursed with injuries

Example: Greg Toler. Injuries all through Arizona comes to Indianapolis & gets placed on IR

Playing for the Colts is basically injury roulette. You're hoping the arrow when spun, doesn't stop on you

MLB: DRAFT PLAYER and/or Brandon Spikes / Kelvin Shepherd

Wait...So bring back Orlovsky?  Why?

And you want to keep our secondary the same?  Especially in CB?  Why?

Freeman isn't though. Freeman is one of the better coverage LBs in the league (top 15%) and Spikes is one of the better Run stuffing lbs in the league. Balance is the key.

What???

These completely inaccurate ascertions are really starting to grind my gears.

In what universe is Jerrell Freeman one of the better coverage LBs in the league? He is actually below average in coverage. In fact, Pat Angerer is better in coverage. We do not have a ILB that comes close to resembling a decent coverage LB.

Where did you get this top 15% stat from may I ask? Or did you just make it up on the spot and not watch any Colts games this year?

Jimmy graham 7 yrs 8 mil

Decker 10 yrs 3 mil

Brent grimes 1 yr 100k

Maybe

WTH are you smoking, going for Decker and Hakeem Nicks? Plus the money you are throwing at them, yikes!!!

Better options would be going for Emmanuel Sanders of Steelers, Jeremy Maclin of Eagles or Julian Edelman of Patriots.

My FA wish list:

S: Draft a FS if we let go of Bethea, sign Jairus Byrd, maybe to go along with it???

OLB: Brian Orakpo

ILB: If we want some veteran experience, Daryl Smith of Ravens or Karlos Dansby of Cardinals would be cheaper since the younger ones will demand way more money. This might help us get the vets to teach the young ones more gap discipline too, IMO. Not all teams can be extremely young like the Seahawks, and besides, if we can get 2 or 3 years out of the above at ages 31 and 32 at a high level, it is worth it.

OL: Chad Rinehart of Chargers for OG, Brian De La Puente of Saints for C

WR: Emmanuel Sanders, WR, Pitt or Jeremy Maclin, WR, Eagles or Julian Edelman, WR, Patriots

DL: Arthur Jones, Ravens or Randy Starks, Dolphins

CB: Tarrell Brown, 49ers and retain everyone we have

What???

In what universe is Jerrell Freeman one of the better coverage LBs in the league? He is actually below average in coverage. In fact, Pat Angerer is better in coverage. We do not have a ILB that comes close to resembling a decent coverage LB.

Where did you get this top 15% stat from may I ask? Or did you just make it up on the spot and not watch any Colts games this year?

I don't know about any specific stats but I def do think Jerell is easily one of the better coverage backers playing right now, and especially when it comes to playing inside but maybe we are watching different film

Freeman isn't though. Freeman is one of the better coverage LBs in the league (top 15%) and Spikes is one of the better Run stuffing lbs in the league. Balance is the key.

Freeman was our worst player in coverage with a PFF rating of -5 and gave up a 79% completion rate.

More likely a bottom 15%. lol

I would bet you like Angerer, Bethea, Castonzo, thought our Rookie guard was pretty decent and are good with Moala &   RMathews.

This has been my philosophy for a long time.

Look at Adrian Peterson, or Calvin Johnson Jr. They're the best at their respective positions in the NFL and command a superb paycheck, but they rarely go to the playoffs, more the less win a title. 

Hey now, at least when the get to the playoffs they perform lol.

Calvins played one game in the playoffs, and has as many TDs as Marvin had in his 16 game postseason career....12rec/211yds/2tds...insane.....APs been 3x, and was a Favre bonehead play away from playing us in the SB...He avgs 100yds and over a TD a game in the playoffs.... So at least when they rarely do get there they earn that $$$. 

As for FA wish list....Give Mack/Byrd whatever they want.....Pray we hit on a few picks, and call it good.

What???

I agree. People think he's great in coverage because of those INT's. I would say he's average at best, maybe slightly below average in coverage.

I would not be for signing Orakpo, if Mathis was retiring next year then yes but I don't think we can shell out that kind of cash for him. I would take a possibly 1 year flyer on Anthony Spencer, as he missed all of last year with an injury I believe. Only if it was a cheap low risk high reward deal though.

I don't know about any specific stats but I def do think Jerell is easily one of the better coverage backers playing right now, and especially when it comes to playing inside but maybe we are watching different film

No, not even close. He had a couple of INTs due to be well posiitoned a few times this year, but INTs tell you very little about coverage. Below is PFFs ILB ratings, order by coverage score, Freeman is amongst the worst in the league, something that is pretty obvious when you watch him play.

k2zejn.png

I would not be for signing Orakpo, if Mathis was retiring next year then yes but I don't think we can shell out that kind of cash for him. I would take a possibly 1 year flyer on Anthony Spencer, as he missed all of last year with an injury I believe. Only if it was a cheap low risk high reward deal though.

We need more proven pass-rushers.

We need more proven pass-rushers.

Sounds great in theory. Every team in the league would say the same. But its just not practical to sign all these high dollar free agents like this board wants. Orakpo is going to make serious coin somewhere, most likely back in Washington, just not here.

No, not even close. He had a couple of INTs due to be well posiitoned a few times this year, but INTs tell you very little about coverage. Below is PFFs ILB ratings, order by coverage score, Freeman is amongst the worst in the league, something that is pretty obvious when you watch him play.

k2zejn.png

He had a handful of really, really bad games, a couple of pretty good games, and the rest were mostly average. I couldn't rank him among all LBers, but I think he's merely adequate, nothing special in coverage. It's important, if you ask me, for us to do better on the outside and get to the passer, in order to take pressure off our our ILBs in coverage. 

Sounds great in theory. Every team in the league would say the same. But its just not practical to sign all these high dollar free agents like this board wants. Orakpo is going to make serious coin somewhere, most likely back in Washington, just not here.

Looks great in reality as well. (See Seahawks)

Situational pass-rushers can be picked up at a very reasonable price. E.G. Cliff Avril, Osi Umenyiora, Michael Bennet, Shaun Phillips, Elvis Dummervil.

He had a handful of really, really bad games, a couple of pretty good games, and the rest were mostly average. I couldn't rank him among all LBers, but I think he's merely adequate, nothing special in coverage. It's important, if you ask me, for us to do better on the outside and get to the passer, in order to take pressure off our our ILBs in coverage. 

No question, it is still a glaring issue on our defense however that our ILB's are extremely poor overall in coverage.

I think it will take more than $16 million over 4 years to get Vontae Davis. I wish it would only take $4 million per year to get him. I just hope we don't pay more than $7 million per year. I think Sean Smith got something like 4 years and $22 million from the Chiefs. I think 5 years and $30 million would be perfect, personally, given Davis was so inconsistent last year. That inconsistency is what plagued him in Miami.

I am not a big Brandon Spikes fan. He had issues in New England which is why they will not sign him. They also had some talent around him to mask the fact that he is actually fairly slow. He is big and tough, but not very fast at all.

Finally, I have read a couple places that Alex Mack may get a good deal of money somewhere. Something in the line of Ryan Kalil of Carolina's 6 years and $49 million. Way too much.

Looks great in reality as well. (See Seahawks)

Situational pass-rushers can be picked up at a very reasonable price. E.G. Cliff Avril, Osi Umenyiora, Michael Bennet, Shaun Phillips, Elvis Dummervil.

Yep, the key is patience. Let the dust settle after the first week of free agency. That was one thing I did not like about our approach last year, we had to go after the folks we went after the very first week. While we don't know all the inner workings of the alternatives that Cherilus, Walden, Toler, RJF etc. had, I bet RJF would have been had for Cliff Avril prices having not been a starter in the 49ers rotation, same with guys like Jake Long going for prices lower than Cherilus. We might have had even more cap room this year or last year if we just waited a week in free agency.