Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

For all of us wanting BIG WRs, speed and hands are more important

chad72

Look at what happened when you have a guy that is BIG and has speed, Megatron, Demaryius Thomas etc., they are big factors in most games. But those are few and far between.

But when you have BIG guys like Eric Decker and Julius Thomas that are not nearly as fast and physical, and don't separate much, you realize that having all BIG guys might not be an advantage.

The little Percy Harvins, T.Y. Hiltons, Antonio Browns etc. truly have an edge in this passing era and are starting to make more of a difference. Speed and ability to separate, run routes and catch trumps SIZE almost all the time.

So, you need a good mixture and not just be enamored with BIG wideouts, which I have seen happen in this forum a lot of times. Just pointing it out.

I think it has more to do with big DBs who were allowed to play "old school" physical defense tonight. And a pass rush that didn't require blitzing every down. I see your point, but the Denver WRs were manhandled by the Seahawks defense

we always try to find a pattern or a formula in each year's winner..

Seattle has a team you couldn't build if you tried

..they have some unique players

This thread is not about Seattle.

Seattle just has 1 Percy Harvin out of several smaller speedier wideouts that are making an impact across the NFL. I bet Tavon Austin of the Rams would be making a bigger impact with better QB play and play calling too. The landscape is shifting, and BIGGER is not better most of the time. That is what I am saying. Last year, outside Anquan Boldin, Jacoby Jones' speed was the singular biggest aspect of the Ravens playoff run offensively and on ST. Speed kills, especially if that speed is used right.

I didn't think we needed a WR at all, we have enough weapons on offense. What we need is a couple of guys other then Mathis and Freeman on defense that can create turnovers. Unfortunately, none of those guys are on the roster. Werner could be one but Grigson needs to do great in FA and the draft if were gonna win a superbowl.

Seahawks will be back in the superbowl again barring any major injury and will have to be great on both sides of the ball to beat them. 

Look at what happened when you have a guy that is BIG and has speed, Megatron, Demaryius Thomas etc., they are big factors in most games. But those are few and far between.

But when you have BIG guys like Eric Decker and Julius Thomas that are not nearly as fast and physical, and don't separate much, you realize that having all BIG guys might not be an advantage.

The little Percy Harvins, T.Y. Hiltons, Antonio Browns etc. truly have an edge in this passing era and are starting to make more of a difference. Speed and ability to separate, run routes and catch trumps SIZE almost all the time.

So, you need a good mixture and not just be enamored with BIG wideouts, which I have seen happen in this forum a lot of times. Just pointing it out.

This game had nothing to do with big wide receivers.  The Broncos had one of the greatest offenses in NFL history this year and flat out got smoked by one of the best defenses in NFL history.  Not to mention they got beat on special teams, out coached, and flat out beat in every facet.  TY Hilton or any speed burning WR wouldn't have even made a dent in the complexion of this game even though that's just theoretical. 

Denver didn't even play like a shadow of themselves.  Seattle's D played well but the Broncos contributed to their own demise right from the get go. 

Variety is the answer, you want to be able to have players that can help you win in multiple ways, Speed, Hands and Power 

This is exactly it.  You want diversity.  If you have too many big receivers who aren't very fast, you'll get stopped by guys like Aqib Talib and Antonio Cromartie.  If you have too many small guys who are fast, they'll get beat up and their smaller bodies won't be able to handle it.  You want a variety of skills and abilities; size, speed, strength, physicality, good hands, etc. are all important.  The more you have, the better

This is exactly it.  You want diversity.  If you have too many big receivers who aren't very fast, you'll get stopped by guys like Aqib Talib and Antonio Cromartie.  If you have too many small guys who are fast, they'll get beat up and their smaller bodies won't be able to handle it.  You want a variety of skills and abilities; size, speed, strength, physicality, good hands, etc. are all important.  The more you have, the better

+1 you need a guy to stretch the field.  

To be fair usually D Thomas can stretch the field for Denver but their secondary shut their entire receiving corps down.  

Actually I bet you have NEVER seen Anyone here want ALL Big Receivers.

Just folks looking to Add a receiver with size and I bet MOST of the ones they suggested Wisely came with Top Speed.

Yip, I want speed and Hands 1st, and the physicality to get away from tight coverage right behind them, and the Length to catch all those High Andrew throws would be nice. Yawn! Go Colts!

We have guys like Harvin and Brown already. Hilton and Brazill are in that mold. They were completely shut out of several games this year.

I just disagree with the premise. Smaller, shifty guys with good ball skills bring something that big receivers don't, but it works the other way as well. I don't understand the need for dealing in absolutes. We can have big guys and smaller guys, and we should. We should have a deep and varied receiver corps, like you say. So I don't understand why you're taking issue with the big wideouts. 

To be honest, I prefer technicians, no matter their size. Good hands, good route runners, good speed. Reggie Wayne, for instance. 

I don't want all "Big" receivers, nor do I want to have all smallish receivers with all the speed in the world.  Ideally, you want to generate match up issues for the Defense your facing.  A mix of both types of receivers is the easiest way to accomplish this task.  You can have all 5'9 - 5'11 receivers who run 4.2 in the 40 but, all the speed in the world doesn't matter when you get down close to the end zone and they don't have the space to use that speed to its full benefit. 

I like the mix we currently have at WR.  I don't think that we need to add anymore "weapons" to the Offensive side of the ball aside from those "weapons" we still need along the O line.  I believe that the Seahawks demonstrated last night quite effectively that you can have a record setting Offense with a 5 time MVP QB at the helm and at the end of the day if your Defense can't hold up on their end, you're toast.  It's time to start adding the pieces to the Defense in Indianapolis and start shutting people down rather than just trying to outgun them in every single game. 

I don't understand the need for dealing in absolutes.

Yes, I prefer the Belichick view:  Depending upon our personnel, depending upon the opponent, we'll do whatever gives us the best chance to win... that week.  If we have a big receiver, we'll utilize him.  If we have a speedster, we'll utilize him.  If our O is better than our D, we'll score.  If our D is better than our O, we'll play ball control. 

They don't win a title evey year, but are always in the mix regardless of how their team is constructed.  Never are they hammering a square peg into a round hole.  Bill Walsh was very similar. 

Exactly!! You need guys like TY that can make something out of nothing and Bigger guys that can make the jump ball catches and tough yards.

Yeah, you want guys like TY, Wayne, Rogers, Allen, Fleener.

We are set, they just need to work on getting better. All this talk of signing wr's is stupid. Every damn year it's the same thing. Yes we need to start making plans for life without Wayne but we may have that already if our guys continue to improve.

To be fair, I think hands should be expected of any reciever regardless of style.

Well I should have been more clear with "hands" probably.....What I meant was (and poorly said) was the ability to not only have the speed to do something after the catch but the craftiness to do something(we have had receivers with the speed over the last two years but not the craftiness, Rumble, Palmer and a few others) as well as the smarts to know (for example) that if  Corner gives you inside position then you take it  as well as the ability to show a defender one route(not just with your body, but you can do this wit your eyes to) if your a TE or WR and suddenly doing another which gets said receiver open, We have talent at receiver (and by receiver I mean TE and WR) but its not fully developed but size helps alot to if it is talented size

Play makers!  Play makers!  He can be 6'4 or 4'6 but can he play?  He was timed 4.zoom but last I saw the game was played with pads and on the field not in UA running attire on a track!  Jerry Rice was deemed too slow as a WR but darn he was a step faster than the DB's.  There's some players that I swear are the shortest 6'1 humans around but they sure as heck can kick ***

The scouts measure the height, weight, hands, verticle and whatever they can but it's unfortunate they can't measure heart.

Yes size and speed matters but need play makers!

We need a big receiver to help in the red zone.

That is a myth. Not all big WRs use their body well and go up for jump balls high pointing it the right way. A WR that is quick enough with great hands that will separate is useful everywhere, especially if the ball is thrown to the back of the pylon and he has to get his feet down before the catch. Like people have said, having the right mixture is the best thing.

If you want to go big bodied, the inline TE that can run block and play a lot of downs is the one you can use more often in the red zone, like the Falcons with Gonzalez, like the Pats with Gronk, like the Saints with Graham, and like us with Allen when he was healthy.

Yeah, you want guys like TY, Wayne, Rogers, Allen, Fleener.

We are set, they just need to work on getting better. All this talk of signing wr's is stupid. Every damn year it's the same thing. Yes we need to start making plans for life without Wayne but we may have that already if our guys continue to improve.

I agree that we don't need to get another WR.  All focus needs to be on Defense and Oline.

Barring injury we have the right mix of WRs.  Seattle has the best secondary in football and the Colts handled them.  Reggie worked underneath and in the seems showing Sherman what a good route running WR can do to him.  TY took advantage of the over-sized CBs that Seattle possess. You have to have WR that can take the top off the defense and get them out of press coverage.  Denver has all those big WRs but they couldn't shake the press coverage and you saw the field shrink as a result.

You have to have a balanced receiving corps.