Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

FA Updates

Bluefire4

The Colts are expected to make impending free agent Donald Brown a "reasonable offer."

The light finally flipped on for "Dammit Donald" in his fifth NFL season as he rushed 102 times for 537 yards (5.26 YPC) with six touchdowns. The Colts can't afford to overpay him though, as they've already given up the No. 26 overall pick in the draft for Trent Richardson. Vick Ballard (torn ACL) is also expected to return healthy. Brown is our No. 8 unrestricted free agent running back available.

Impending free agent CB Vontae Davis is considered a "heavy favorite" to be re-signed by the Colts.

Some questioned Colts GM Ryan Grigson when he gave up a second-round pick for Davis during the 2012 preseason, but he got plenty of value. Davis was PFF's No. 3 corner this season, breaking out as an every-down press corner and dominating the right side. The Colts should be willing to pony up the cash it's going to take to retain him. Davis is our No. 4 unrestricted free agent corner, behind only Brent Grimes, Aqib Talib and Alterraun Verner.

Can we cut Toler and use that money to bring in grimes after we resign Davis? I'm pretty much asking cause I'm don't know how Toler contract works. I think I read that his money was front loaded so we won't get hurt cap wise if we cut him after year 1 someone please correct me if I'm wrong

Can we cut Toler and use that money to bring in grimes after we resign Davis? I'm pretty much asking cause I'm don't know how Toler contract works. I think I read that his money was front loaded so we won't get hurt cap wise if we cut him after year 1 someone please correct me if I'm wrong

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/greg-toler/

There is his contract layout...The others are are there to

No. Grimes is in line for a big deal now.

If he accepts the "reasonable offer" he is a true player not about the money. If not, the hec with him and find a true player, not another revis who said he doesn't care about championships BC he's about money

Yeah because no body ever switches jobs when someone comes along and says hey we would like you to do the exact same job you are doing now but we are going to pay you more money to do it...

It doesn't mean he's not about championships.  Say a team like New England offers him more money to go there than the Colts will pay him.  Are you honestly going to tell me he doesn't have a chance to win a Championship there?  He could find a place that is willing to pay him money and win. 

Also, coming back here he will probably be a back up another team might give him a chance to start.  So it might not be able money at all and be about opportunity. 

The problem as I was reading about Verner...    is not that he isn't good -- he clearly is.

It's that he's small and probably not a good fit for teams that like to play press coverage with larger corners -- like the Colts do.

So, schematically,  he may not be a good fit, even if do decide to cut Toler.

Someone bigger, like Talib or others,  might be a better fit.

If he accepts the "reasonable offer" he is a true player not about the money. If not, the hec with him and find a true player, not another revis who said he doesn't care about championships BC he's about money

Another in a long and growing line of just simply bad posts.

So you would work for an company, for let's say 50k year, because you're a "true employee" and turn down the big money, 6 figure job?

ludicrous, I say

As stated...Davis is a must!

I would really like to see Brown resigned.  Maybe it's because I watched him for his whole pro career and not just this year, but I don't see another team paying him the big money - people do have short memories though.  They may see his YPC and open the checkbook wide.

The problem as I was reading about Verner...    is not that he isn't good -- he clearly is.

It's that he's small and probably not a good fit for teams that like to play press coverage with larger corners -- like the Colts do.

So, schematically,  he may not be a good fit, even if do decide to cut Toler.

Someone bigger, like Talib or others,  might be a better fit.

I had the same though about Verner originally, but I looked into it a little more. In 2012 Tenn was playing a cover 2 for the most part, and while he was playing pretty solid, his job was in doubt the whole time for some reason. Last offseason they moved to a press man scheme and his abilities were doubted even more. He came out to have a really good season, and that was without a very good pass rush to help him out. 

Size isn't everything to playing press, a lot of it is agility, ability to mirror the man in front of you, and quickness/burst to make a play on the ball after the WR goes into his break. Sam Shields in GB is one of the better press corners in the game and he's the same size as Verner. 

As far as corners I'd like us to check out for the offseason; I'm still trying to make up my mind....

Verner, Grimes, Shields, DRC, Captain Munnerlyn, Brandon Ghee, Walter Thurmond....whatever one's cheaper.

J.K._Simmons_as_Jameson.gif