Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defensive adjustments versus a Patriots?

fatboy

Okay we made Alex Smith look like Emmitt Smith - I don't think I'll worry about that this coming game. But Smith looked comfortable most of the night and basically looked like, well, Tom Brady. So my question - what can we do differently to make Tom look like Marsha Brady?

Okay we made Alex Smith look like Emmitt Smith - I don't think I'll worry about that this coming game. But Smith looked comfortable most of the night and basically looked like, well, Tom Brady. So my question - what can we do differently to make Tom look like Marsha Brady?

Just have to get pressure up the middle , and maybe press coverage brady doesn't have deep threats and loves to dink and dunk

Expect them to go no huddle a lot to throw us off. Tackle their RBs and limit their YAC that they make a living out of. Quick release, no huddle, quick snap counts, all are things that WILL BE USED against us this game.

The key is make sure this game is close in the 4th qtr. and even if we are down, it is just by a FG in the 4th qtr. and if we can do that, we stand a chance to pull it out.

Interior pressure. I think that we will see Mathis moving around a lot this game.

This. We also need to find a way to disrupt the timing of NE's underneath routes...which they will undoubtedly use often after watching the film from the Chiefs game.

I feel like Robert Mathis isn't getting enough love for his amazingly timed strip-sack fumble of Smith in the Chiefs game. AGAIN he comes up clutch and delivers that game changing moment and momentum change that we needed. Again he changes the game for us and yet still he is overshadowed by the offense (even if it was an amazing effort in the 2nd half). 

Mathis deserves so much more credit for this win...

Smith looked anything but comfortable that game! He was CONSTANTLY pressured and chased and he had to make so many tackles miss it was ridiculous that we didnt get at least 4 sacks on him... Brady isnt that manoeuvrable so I expect the QB pressure to be a bit more successful against the Pats... Brady will just be releasing it quicker to Amendola and Edelman though. our DB's HAVE to cover those short and crossing routes effectively whilst not letting anyone blow over the top... 

I vote for sitting Toler on this one. He let way too many plays go against the Chiefs. Clearly he wasn't 100%.

I would say that Manusky would help us this game but I forgot were not playing the Broncos. Since he used to be the Chargers DC. But I think that Pagano and him will figure something out together since they are both defensive minded.

I vote for sitting Toler on this one. He let way too many plays go against the Chiefs. Clearly he wasn't 100%.

I would say that Manusky would help us this game but I forgot were not playing the Broncos. Since he used to be the Chargers DC. But I think that Pagano and him will figure something out together since they are both defensive minded.

This, Gordy outplayed him anyways

Take away the weapons in their backfield and they're toast.  I'm not convinced that Dobson and Thompkins are consistent enough and Amendola is injury prone.  Take away the guys in the backfield (Vereen, Edelman, Ridley, Blount) and what do they have left?  In all fairness, it's much easier to say take those guys out than to actually do it, but I think that should be the focus.

I really like our chances against NE especially because Gronk is done. If you look at their last few games, excluding the Baltimore one where they had a couple defensive TDs, the Pats have really had a tough time. They lost to Miami and should have lost to Cleveland and Houston. Without Gronk, Brady really doesn't have much of anything to throw the ball to; just a bunch of undersized guys that you can play bump and run against without much difficulty. They'll have to be able to run the ball if they want to win, and as long as our corners can take Edelman/Amendola in man coverage, we put Landry in the box and let him have his way. I'd also have Mathis and Walden switch sides every now and then; Mathis vs Cannon seems like an easier pass rush match-up than Mathis vs Solder.