Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday And Robert Mathis Are All Scheduled For Free Agency In 2012

dn4192

All three have been key members of this franchise for a while, but all three are getting into their "senior" years NFL wise. Would it be wise to bring any of them back, or instead, let all 3 walk and use that money to address needs with younger bodies.

Peyton and Saturday have a very special relation especially given how/type of offense we run. It will be intersting to see what happens to Jeff and what role Peyton plays in that.

Manning is not in the personnel department and should play no role in that decision.

Manning is not in the personnel department and should play no role in that decision.

for most teams this is true, but this is a bit different. peyton has been working with saturday his whole career, and should have some say resigning him. obviously if the terms are right for the colts then we should definitely resign him, or maybe peyton will restructure his contact and give a little money to him.

Edited by jesusislord

IMO the smartest thing to do would be to let them walk, or in Saturday's case...retire. Of course, Polian will probably overpay to keep Mathis and Wayne and hamstring the team even worse. I know fans develop feelings for players and tend to overvalue their talents, but Wayne is getting long in the tooth and Mathis is a situational pass rusher that if we don't have talent in other posistions on defense has very little effect. Thats pretty obvious this season. The money would be better spent bringing in better and experienced talent in the backfield and maybe a better DT.

No way to tell until our coaching situation is figured out. Then you see if guys fit into the future direction the team is taking and if the money they want will justify their contribution.

At this point in time, I wouldn't shed a tear if all 3 of them walked (although I think Saturday is going to retire, but that's just a hunch)

for most teams this is true, but this is a bit different. peyton has been working with saturday his whole career, and should have some say resigning him. obviously if the terms are right for the colts then we should definitely resign him, or maybe peyton will restructure his contact and give a little money to him.

Negative. This is a business and a cut throat one at that. When your time is done, it is time to move on. I don't want Manning having any say over who stays or who goes because of a personal relationship. You know who else does not want that? Manning - guarantee it.

Negative. This is a business and a cut throat one at that. When your time is done, it is time to move on. I don't want Manning having any say over who stays or who goes because of a personal relationship. You know who else does not want that? Manning - guarantee it.

This. Manning has way to much influence over this team. I don't blame him for that, he's just trying to do the best he can. But he shouldn't be doing the job of GMs and Coaching staff. That's what they get paid for. And if he has to do it because they can't, well then stop paying them and bring in someone who can.

I would like to re-sign all of them, but if we give Reggie and Jeff more than two years, it's a huge mistake. We have to be able to cut ties with them as soon as their play drops. Honestly, we should go after Eddie Royal and let Reggie and Jeff Go.

Edited by GoGoColts

This. Manning has way to much influence over this team. I don't blame him for that, he's just trying to do the best he can. But he shouldn't be doing the job of GMs and Coaching staff. That's what they get paid for. And if he has to do it because they can't, well then stop paying them and bring in someone who can.

That's for sure. If we want to get another Super Bowl, the org will have to grow a pair and tell Peyton to make due with receviers we can get him. This team has to rebuild the defensive and offensive lines.

Keep Robert Mathis & Jeff Saturday

Let Wayne go

my opinion

I agree.

Give Jeff 1yr/1mill have him go out in style with Manning.

Give Robert whatever he wants (bye bye dwight)

Let Reggie walk.

Hope Peyton can work with #2 guys for 2 more years until they can get to drafting O weapons.

That's for sure. If we want to get another Super Bowl, the org will have to grow a pair and tell Peyton to make due with receviers we can get him. This team has to rebuild the defensive and offensive lines.

What? Where is it confirmed Manning has any say in personnel decisions? Make belief. But you are right, the org does need to grow some......and get rid of you know who....

I agree.

Let Reggie walk.

Hope Peyton can work with #2 guys for 2 more years until they can get to drafting O weapons.

Wait a minute. You want to open the bank for Mathis but let Freeney go?

I think it hinges on Manning, well at least in Reggie's case...If Manning is somehow not able to return, I think they cut/trade Reggie. He's still got some gas in the tank, and there are some bad teams that would love to have his experience. That said, I'd miss him, but this is a business. If Manning does come back 100%, I think he stays. Hopefully he'll take a "hometown discount" with the thought of making one last run at the Super Bowl w/ #18...What makes it tough is this terrible season we're having. He can't demand big $$ based on this season b/c his production is way down on account of Manning's absence. He's really the one most affected by his loss, Saturday is not catching passes from Peyton, and Mathis is on defense

Edited by cmgww

I agree.

Let Reggie walk.

Let Mathis walk. We have Jerry Hughes as a ready made replacement, right?

I think Jeff is gonna retire before we resign him. We need to resign Mathis, we can't give him a HUGE payday though. If we can find some good talent, then Reggie has to walk. But if not, resign Reggie. Again, we can't give out huge paydays. We need to spend money on building this team instead of keeping players.

I agree.

Let Reggie walk.

I don't think Dwight's contract is up.

He is not. But I am trying to understand IndyTrav's logic of paying Mathis and then saying "bye bye Dwight." There is in fact no logic there at all but I am trying to understand it anyway.

Sigining Mathis makes Freeney and his contract expendable. Dwight is quickly becoming a 3rd down only player, his age is only increasing, and he's had a history of lower body issues. My feelings on Dwight are widely known, and I was lambasted for my suggestion last year to trade Dwight, so Im well aware of the Dwight fanbase, but fact of the matter is, his production doesn't live up to his payment. Mathis is the younger player. We can't have 1/4 of our payroll wrapped up in 2 undersized DE's. People around here want change, and Im all for it, but with that change, comes the reality of losing some of the biggest names.

my guess is freeney will have his contract extended this year (his deal is for onre more year). and by extended i also mean restructured. No way in heck we can handle his cap room + Manning's next year. I cant remember the cap hit for freeney's contract but i remember been huge.

Edited by Mameluc

Sigining Mathis makes Freeney and his contract expendable. Dwight is quickly becoming a 3rd down only player, his age is only increasing, and he's had a history of lower body issues. My feelings on Dwight are widely known, and I was lambasted for my suggestion last year to trade Dwight, so Im well aware of the Dwight fanbase, but fact of the matter is, his production doesn't live up to his payment. Mathis is the younger player. We can't have 1/4 of our payroll wrapped up in 2 undersized DE's. People around here want change, and Im all for it, but with that change, comes the reality of losing some of the biggest names.

Except for the nagging point that Mathis is not as good as Freeney.

Except for the nagging point that Mathis is not as good as Freeney.

Debatable..

Mathis has less 65 less starts, 21 less sacks, 5 less FF (Dwights on the blind side),more Pass Deflections, more tackles and more assists. He's younger and came at a much cheaper price than a 1st rounder.

I think Jeff is gonna retire before we resign him. We need to resign Mathis, we can't give him a HUGE payday though. If we can find some good talent, then Reggie has to walk. But if not, resign Reggie. Again, we can't give out huge paydays. We need to spend money on building this team instead of keeping players.

Why does everyone think Jeff is gonna retire? Has he actually said that he wants to retire? It seems to me like he's been playing great this season and is still in great shape.

IMO the smartest thing to do would be to let them walk, or in Saturday's case...retire. Of course, Polian will probably overpay to keep Mathis and Wayne and hamstring the team even worse. I know fans develop feelings for players and tend to overvalue their talents, but Wayne is getting long in the tooth and Mathis is a situational pass rusher that if we don't have talent in other posistions on defense has very little effect. Thats pretty obvious this season. The money would be better spent bringing in better and experienced talent in the backfield and maybe a better DT.

Mathis and/or Wayne should have been trade bait this season.

Debatable..

Mathis has less 65 less starts, 21 less sacks, 5 less FF (Dwights on the blind side),more Pass Deflections, more tackles and more assists. He's younger and came at a much cheaper price than a 1st rounder.

Except that he is not the focus of opposing team's offensive plans or at least not nearly as much as Freeney. And I seem to recall a playoff game that Freeney missed against SD in which Mathis was rendered useless. Guess that is what happens when teams actually focus on him to the same extent as Freeney.

Look, if the choice at the end of the season is to only have one of Freeney or Mathis, then the choice is obvious. You already have Freeney signed for another year. Mathis is a free agent this year so he is the one that leaves. Even if you Mathis is on the same level, the business side of that decision is easy.

Except that he is not the focus of opposing team's offensive plans or at least not nearly as much as Freeney. And I seem to recall a playoff game that Freeney missed against SD in which Mathis was rendered useless. Guess that is what happens when teams actually focus on him to the same extent as Freeney.

Look, if the choice at the end of the season is to only have one of Freeney or Mathis, then the choice is obvious. You already have Freeney signed for another year. Mathis is a free agent this year so he is the one that leaves. Even if you Mathis is on the same level, the business side of that decision is easy.

One game is your sample? Against a team Freeney only has 2 career sacks against?

The choice is obvious, its Mathis because he's the same player, younger, and you'll have him for the future. Lets say you dont resign Mathis, Dwight is up next year. You are going to want to resign a 33yr old speed rusher, who's had feet problems in the past? Doubtful.

One game is your sample? Against a team Freeney only has 2 career sacks against?

The choice is obvious, its Mathis because he's the same player, younger, and you'll have him for the future. Lets say you dont resign Mathis, Dwight is up next year. You are going to want to resign a 33yr old speed rusher, who's had feet problems in the past? Doubtful.

Exactly how many games have they played without each other? Not a big sample size to begin with. But since you asked, Mathis had 2 sacks in 2007 after Freeney got hurt.

This would be Mathis' 3rd contract with the team. He will not be getting some big, long term deal from the Colts. Freeney is already signed for 2012.

The choice of Mathis is nothing close to obvious. Well let me re-phrase, it is only obvious to you & Mathis' mother. But if they did make that choice, there are defensive coordinators all over the league who would be relieved at the thought of facing Indy without Freeney.

Why does everyone think Jeff is gonna retire? Has he actually said that he wants to retire? It seems to me like he's been playing great this season and is still in great shape.

I think it's a possibility he will. Not saying it's definite but he might. He's getting up in age and combine that with his frustration about this situation and it's a possibility he might hang em up.

Exactly how many games have they played without each other? Not a big sample size to begin with. But since you asked, Mathis had 2 sacks in 2007 after Freeney got hurt.

This would be Mathis' 3rd contract with the team. He will not be getting some big, long term deal from the Colts. Freeney is already signed for 2012.

The choice of Mathis is nothing close to obvious. Well let me re-phrase, it is only obvious to you & Mathis' mother. But if they did make that choice, there are defensive coordinators all over the league who would be relieved at the thought of facing Indy without Freeney.

Whats this being his 3rd contract have to do with anything?

Dwights great, but he will be 33yr old at the end of 2012, when his contract is up. Then what? Then be left with zero DEs?

I'm signing Garcon before Reggie at this point in his career. Saturday is a goner. The guy can't run block anymore. As bad as Pollak has been at guard at times, he is more than capable of playing his natural position which is center. Of the free-agents, I bring back Garcon, Mathis, and Wheeler. I'd say goodbye and thank you to Saturday. See how reasonable Reggie will be considering his age. If he's asking for too much, bring some fresh legs in to town. It is also time to say goodbye and thank you to Gary Brackett. He's not worth the jump in salary next year.

polian has basically said wayne nor mathis are going anywhere... they are the colts biggest concern when it comes to signing ppl... i wonder what that means for garcon... you would think the colts would be worried about their young talent in garcon.. but then again the problem with garcon's dropping is a problem so im not surprised.

I agree...I love Manning as much as anyone but he does have too much authority imo. This is something people need to keep in mind if we do start looking for a new HC. A lot of people are on the Cowher or Gruden bandwagon...these guys are both prone to letting their emotions getting the better of them. How do you think they're going to react the first time Peyton waves the punt team back off the field with that annoyed look on his face?

I agree.

Let Reggie walk.

This from a guy who's been adamantly complaining about our undersized players. Also, you keep making a big deal about Mathis being younger than Freeney:

Dwight Jason Freeney (born February 19, 1980

Robert Nathan Mathis (born February 26, 1981

There is 1 year difference. One year is not worth using as a determination to keep one player over the other. At least the other point about Freeney's past injuries has some merit to it.

Saturday actually has played a lot better this year then last, i wouldn't mind giving him a fair 1 year contract. Reggie Wayne is no longer a true #1 reciever anymore and seems like he could still be a good possession reciever for 2 more years, so i would consider signing him. Robert Mathis may be the hardest guy for us to keep, some team will be willing to give him a chance for a big contract, that he never got from the colts. Now to me, Pierre Garcon is a must to resign. I like everybody else don't like his drops on easy passes but he usually makes up for it by making an incredible play. This offense needs his big play ability to be it's most effective.