Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why is Trent Richardson playing?

trueblueblood

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NFL.com's Patra just gave glowing marks for Colts but added that AL should spike the ball in protest every time Pep calls a running play to TPPoor. But at least it kept the game today from becoming a rout. Imagine if DB had taken those 16 running attempts given to Trent.

with the oline we have, browns running style is much more favorable then trents. brown bursts and uses his quick acceleration to get to the 2nd level... its as if brown knows how little time he has to hit ANY type of hole before getting a bad play, so he just shoots like a rocket.

trent is gonna be great later on, trust me. hes really hard to break down and once he gets goin hes good. his running style takes more to develop after the snap, which he cant get with this oline.  he does seem to wait a little long for a hole to develop or something, which is bad because that doesnt really happen with this line. we saw what he can do with decent coverage (those random 10-20 yarders). he just needs to be quicker upon the snap.

there were so many runs today tht made me wanna yell at trich so bad, but then realize how little push the line got on so many of those run stuffed plays

Last paragraph. Saw Nixon getting shoved 2-3 yards back into Trents running lane. He gets the ball then 3 in the backfield on him. Be glad to get Reitz,Thornton or Link back.

okay well its the type of play calls rich get inside runs well brown gets the fancy calls comon man rich is beast 

a lot of times with trent they use a play that has not worked all year, a fullback lead blocking up the middle,trent is almost always tackeld in the back field with this play,pep throw out this play it dosent work

NFL.com's Patra just gave glowing remarks for Colts but added that AL should spike the ball in protest every time Pep calls a running play to TPPoor. But at least it kept the game today from becoming a rout. Imagine if DB had taken those 16 running attempts given to Trent.

If DB had all those carries he would be broken. This is the first year I remember him being healthy this long.

They seem to run Trent in only a couple of formations, and the runs are extremely vanilla, as well as the blocking. Donald seems to have a better handle on Pep's scheme, and gets the ball coming out of all types of formations. He runs a lot of counters, and gets the ball in open space quite a bit.

But that TD run he had today where he squirted through the 5 defenders, that was straight hustle. All that being said I feel fine about our running game moving forward. We don't have Adrian Peterson, but they can do work. They're just lacking consistency.

Late in the game was a good time to run him. We had a commanding lead, we want to keep Brown healthy and fresh, and we are just waiting ( hoping, praying!) that TR gets on track. Still hasn't happened, but he did run better towards the end of the game which is especially encouraging being that it's the time of game that the opposing team knows you are going to be running.

I have never liked the trade sense day one, but I am happy that Trent is showing signs of improvement.

I am certainly not ready to declare him a "beast" but I do think going into next year he could be a solid all around back.  

The problem is that we try to run Richardson out of power running formations that we cannot block very well. We really are not helping Richardson to get going. That being said, he looks slow out there to me. He does not have the burst that MJD has.

Brown gets more carries out of shotgun and other passing formations where the D is not stacking the run.

That being said, Brown is consistently breaking tackles. Trent gets tackled by the first guy to touch him.

He was traded mid-season.  There's a reason people say it will take 2 or more years to accurately judge the Trent move.   It takes some players more than a few months to get comfortable with a team, so if you want to know the biggest reason he's in there, it's so he can get more experience with our offense.  The more experience he gets, the better off he'll be with his progression (wherever it ultimately ends up).  We're invested in him, so you might as well start accepting it.  Because all the complaining about the guy is really just like all the "fire pep/pagano" threads. 

There's a process and a plan for every player, and it's longer than 10 games, especially when you give up a first round pick for him.  So patience, the time for complaining may or may not come...but that time is certainly not now. 

The problem is that we try to run Richardson out of power running formations that we cannot block very well. We really are not helping Richardson to get going. That being said, he looks slow out there to me. He does not have the burst that MJD has.

Brown gets more carries out of shotgun and other passing formations where the D is not stacking the run.

That being said, Brown is consistently breaking tackles. Trent gets tackled by the first guy to touch him.

We must have been watching different games. Because from what I saw, it consistently took 3 guys to bring down Richardson. 

This guy is just ok to remain with us till playoffs over, then he is done, like family feud without Richard Dawson, DONE!

Really? Most players show improvement over the offseason when they actually have time to work out with the team and workout on their own. Also it gives them time to learn every wrinkle of the offense without having to worry about preparing for a game. Having a guy try to learn the game plan while still learning the offense usually isn't the most ideal situation....

Trent was brought in three weeks into the season. You don't bring a skill position player in and throw him in behind an awful line early in a season and expect him to set the world on fire. Give him a full offseason to get ready. 

Most of his runs he's being hit in the backfield. Now, I know I'm no coach (You know, because that's the only way you can make an observation around here) but he's not taking handoffs and just standing there with the ball. There's only so much he can do when guys are getting through our line during, or even before the handoff. He also doesn't have Brown's initial speed. With Brown's burst, what tiny, tiny holes we open up he's getting through them before the defense has a chance to close them right back up. Richardson doesn't have that speed to get to and through those tiny, tiny holes before they are closed. 

Brown is making lemonade out of goat urine behind our line. Our line's inability to block doesn't mesh well with Richardson's running style. 

Trent was brought in three weeks into the season. You don't bring a skill position player in and throw him in behind an awful line early in a season and expect him to set the world on fire. Give him a full offseason to get ready. 

Most of his runs he's being hit in the backfield. Now, I know I'm no coach (You know, because that's the only way you can make an observation around here) but he's not taking handoffs and just standing there with the ball. There's only so much he can do when guys are getting through our line during, or even before the handoff. He also doesn't have Brown's initial speed. With Brown's burst, what tiny, tiny holes we open up he's getting through them before the defense has a chance to close them right back up. Richardson doesn't have that speed to get to and through those tiny, tiny holes before they are closed. 

Brown is making lemonade out of goat urine behind our line. Our line's inability to block doesn't mesh well with Richardson's running style. 

Also, because Brown has a wider knowledge of the playbook, defenders have to respect the plethora of options he can bring. They know that nearly all of what Trent brings is A or B gap. Thus, he is facing stronger boxes.

The more protections he has down and the more options he can command, the more that defenders will hesitate that "fraction" of a second.

Can fans just try and have a little patience? BTW, nice description. Never heard that but it does drive a point home. (bolded)

He's playing because they want to split the work, that was the plan all year, just with different backs before they got hurt.  He's also playing because they blew a first round pick on him.  I'm not too sure if given an equal opportunity that Choice wouldn't put up at least the same numbers as Richardson to be honest.  He does a good job in the passing game and sometimes in short yardage, but other then that it is brutal to watch him out there.  Brown is just the better back for this team right now.  He sees the hole quicker, and hits it quicker.  Richardson to me just looks slow. And that was the complaint i remember reading from many Browns fans when we made the trade.  I figured it was sour grapes, but i'm starting to believe now.

He's playing because they want to split the work, that was the plan all year, just with different backs before they got hurt. He's also playing because they blew a first round pick on him. I'm not too sure if given an equal opportunity that Choice wouldn't put up at least the same numbers as Richardson to be honest. He does a good job in the passing game and sometimes in short yardage, but other then that it is brutal to watch him out there. Brown is just the better back for this team right now. He sees the hole quicker, and hits it quicker. Richardson to me just looks slow. And that was the complaint i remember reading from many Browns fans when we made the trade. I figured it was sour grapes, but i'm starting to believe now.

If you're watching football and feeling the sensation of pain. You're doing it wrong.

Trent is a better pass protector than brown.  Brown is starting and he gets carries when its important.  We don't want brown to get injured in the playoffs and we need to trent to get more reps.  And no running back gets 100% of the carries, so we use trent and hope to get production out of him