Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The next 3 games

Flash7

We face the Texans, Chief's and the Jaguars. We've already wrapped up the division and will play in the playoffs. So I see this as a great opportunity to give guys like Studabaker, Adongo, Nixon, Holmes, Hughes, and a few others some playing time to see what they've got. I think we should let Luck work on his timing with the receivers, especially with Rogers, but pull him out after the first drive in the third quarter.

Lastly, I don't care if we win any of the following three games. In fact, if we lose all three, I would argue it may be better for us in the long run. We would help to ruin the draft positions of both the Texans and the Jaguars, and help to improve our own.

A) Who would you like to see get extra playing time?

B) How do you feel about winning or losing any of the next three games?

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, December 9, 2013 - rude
Hidden by Nadine, December 9, 2013 - rude

We face the Texans, Chief's and the Jaguars. We've already wrapped up the division and will play in the playoffs. So I see this as a great opportunity to give guys like Studabaker, Adongo, Nixon, Holmes, Hughes, and a few others some playing time to see what they've got. I think we should let Luck work on his timing with the receivers, especially with Rogers, but pull him out after the first drive in the third quarter.

Lastly, I don't care if we win any of the following three games. In fact, if we lose all three, I would argue it may be better for us in the long run. We would help to ruin the draft positions of both the Texans and the Jaguars, and help to improve our own.

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

I think we will play to win both the texans and jaguars game, against chiefs I see us not showing them anything.

It is time to maybe mix a little bit the OL something like    Castonzo Reitz Mcglynn Thorthon Cherilus and try to get the rushing and pass protection going

Losing games thinking its going to screw up draft plans of other teams the colts don't need to lose they need to win that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

I hear what you are saying. Of course we always want the Colts to win. But us winning doesn't do us any more good. We're already in the playoffs. We've already won the division. However, losing would give us better draft positioning, and our competitors worse draft positioning. I don't want us to lose on purpose, but let's take our starters out in the third so they don't get hurt. And if we lose, then we lose.

This is a competition at all levels, not just the playing field. I choose to think outside the box.

Even if we win out it is almost a certainty that we will be locked into the 4th seed. Meaning we are more than likely going to be playing the Chiefs at the Luke come January in the Wild card round.

I think Luck and the starters should play all 60 minutes of every game for the following reasons:

These three games are going to/should be used as essentially three rather large practice sessions for the playoffs because we are pretty much locked into that 4th seed. One of those games will be against who we are most likely going to be facing in the first round of the playoffs, at their place. This will be a great time to test the waters with them, at their place, in order to figure out what to do in January when WE will have the homefield advantage over them. *(IF)* we get hot in the next three weeks and then beat the Chiefs in the wild card round, who knows what can happen from there? (See the '12 Giants and '13 Ravens)...

Regardless of what happens in the playoffs, these games are going to be huge learning curves for Hamilton/Manusky. Without the pressure of playing for the division, they can/should start experimenting with different play calling and schemes from their current ways to see what works and doesnt with our personnel as it stands. Seeing as injuries are part of the game, it is fair to assume that next season we could potentially lose important key players again. This time will help them to deal with those situations when they come next year.

Finally, the colts starters should be playing and playing to win because damnit what is the point of playing this game if not to be competitive and win?! You never know, the Bengals and NE could lose out from here and we could claim the 2nd seed.... ANYTHING can happen in the NFL. For gods sake, Triplette's call actually happened, if that can happen...... anything can happen. 

I don't care either.  Would much prefer giving playing time to some players, like Adongo, who won't see the playing field except for using this rationale. 

Colts will be one and done unless there is a complete turn around in how the team plays football.  Getting to the playoffs and losing in the 1st round just means other teams will pick draft selections before we do.  Whether it is coaching or the loss of players to injury, probably some of each, time to use the remaining games to see what we have sitting on the bench. 

I hear what you are saying. Of course we always want the Colts to win. But us winning doesn't do us any more good. We're already in the playoffs. We've already won the division. However, losing would give us better draft positioning, and our competitors worse draft positioning. I don't want us to lose on purpose, but let's take our starters out in the third so they don't get hurt. And if we lose, then we lose.

This is a competition at all levels, not just the playing field. I choose to think outside the box.

You do realize that record is irrelevant in regards to draft positioning for teams that make the playoffs, right? Playoff team draft order is determined by seed and round exited. The earliest the Colts would pick now is 20th, and thats only with a wildcard loss and no other home teams losing.

You do realize that record is irrelevant in regards to draft positioning for teams that make the playoffs, right? Playoff team draft order is determined by seed and round exited. The earliest the Colts would pick now is 24th.

Thanks, good to know, but it would help to ruin the Texans and the Jaguars draft position.

We care about that why?

We care about protecting our players in the next three games which will not have any bearing on whether we make the playoffs or not. We don't have to play them the entirety of the game. By taking them out in the third, we may stand a chance to lose these games, and if we do, at least we stand to benefit by lowering our divisional rivals draft positioning. We care about that because we do not want them to have a shot at the better players on the board, obviously.

Why would you want the better available players to go to our divisional rivals?

We care about protecting our players in the next three games which will not have any bearing on whether we make the playoffs or not. We don't have to play them the entirety of the game. By taking them out in the third, we may stand a chance to lose these games, and if we do, at least we stand to benefit by lowering our divisional rivals draft positioning. We care about that because we do not want them to have a shot at the better players on the board, obviously.

Why would you want the better available players to go to our divisional rivals?

Why would you tank for draft positioning you dont directly benefit from when what you need is to find a rhythm going in to the playoffs? The play for tomorrow stuff is asinine at this point. I dont even know how it can be fathomed. Bad teams tanking for a player to turn the franchise around makes some logical sense in a backwards sense at least.

Seriously. This NFL fan obsession with pulling tank jobs to manipulate draft positioning is sickening. Im tired of hearing it suggested, when no team in the modern free agency/salary cap era could even pull it off given the pressure on players to perform well or look for work elsewhere.

Go hang out with Jags fans. There are still a few of then that are throwing a hissy fit because theyve won 4 of their last 5 and swept the Texans.

Why would you tank for draft positioning you dont directly benefit from when what you need is to find a rhythm going in to the playoffs? The play for tomorrow stuff is asinine at this point. I dont even know how it can be fathomed. Bad teams tanking for a player to turn the franchise around makes some logical sense in a backwards sense at least.

Seriously. This NFL fan obsession with pulling tank jobs to manipulate draft positioning is sickening. Im tired of hearing it suggested, when no team in the modern free agency/salary cap era could even pull it off given the pressure on players to perform well or look for work elsewhere.

Go hang out with Jags fans. There are still a few of then that are throwing a hissy fit because theyve won 4 of their last 5 and swept the Texans.

I am saying that we should rest our players after the third quarter. That's not unheard of. Especially as teams approach the playoffs, and have their division wrapped up. What I am saying is not something so radical that it's never been done before. Many teams start to rest their players and protect them from injury before the playoffs. (We just happen to be in position with 3 games remaining). As a result, those teams may lose, which does not affect their seeding. With our case, we play 2 teams in our division, so if we lose those games, the byproduct would be a worse draft position for them. I never said we tank the games, rather, we protect our players and if we lose, I wouldn't mind it for the reasons I've mentioned.

We have been bitten badly by the injury bug. Why chance more injuries right before the playoffs? Let's say we played to win the next three games and T.Y. or Fleener, or, someone else gets injured. Does that help us get into rhythm for the playoffs?

Lastly, this is not YOUR forum or YOUR team to tell me or others to go elsewhere.

I am saying that we should rest our players after the third quarter. That's not unheard of. Especially as teams approach the playoffs, and have their division wrapped up. What I am saying is not something so radical that it's never been done before. Many teams start to rest their players and protect them from injury before the playoffs. 

I would agree with this except for one thing....

The kinds of teams that rest their players heading into the playoffs tend to be well oiled machines that are running smoothly on both sides of the ball.... We do not in any way constitute that sort of team right now. We need to get as much playing time in as possible to figure out the slow starts, to improve the O line play, to improve the D.... Otherwise we are going to be going into the playoffs underprepared and likely to lose...

I hate using this old mantra that my teachers in school always used to bark at me but it is so applicable I have to use it:

Fail to prepare and prepare to fail...... It really is that simple at this point....

I say let them play thats the business, thats what they get paid for and resting starters never turned out well for the Colts in the past! And that was in years where we were real Super Bowl contenders!  We aren't contenders this year and the team has so many issues they need every snap to figure out how to improve. Luck needs to build trust with Rogers, Brazill... Injurys might happen, but they can happen in practice or at home or in the first minutes of the playoff game. Thats just something that you cant prevent!

A) I'd like to see more of Adongo, Rogers, McNary and T-Rich (he is getting comfortable with our O, and by benching burden was lifted from his shoulders. We have to figure out how to utilize him in passing game, he has the potential!)

B) I think we have tough games ahead, and we can easily loose even 2 games. Texans are a big mess, that game is a must win! Possibly wee could loose to the Chiefs on the road, however we did great against good teams. 

I see both points a few more injuries to starters would be catastrophic but we are far from a well oiled machine right now and we need to get in sync as a team on both sides of the ball . I tend to be more of a play to win all the time would love to see us have a blow out win against the Texans or Jags to really get some steam going into the playoffs . 

one problem we don't have a first round pick so that doesn't make any difference.

This team needs work with its best players. Not playing them would make them a complete walkover in the playoffs which they may be anyway but this would assure it and it will cost you some of the fan base who don't forgive that kind of action. Now, the last game, which will mean nothing is a different story and resting players who are playing hurt would be a good thing.  :D