Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Titans DT Jurell Casey speaks on Richardson/Brown

HtownColt

"With a guy like [Trent], everybody knows he’s a downhill runner," Casey told FOXSports.com in a telephone interview. "A lot of times guys shoot at his legs. He’s a smaller guy so nobody tries to hit him up high.

“When guys are shooting at your legs, that could result in injury so I think that’s probably one of his cases is he feels, ‘they’re shooting at my knees. I got to figure out how to not allow this to happen.’ So I think that’s probably the biggest thing with him is he’s probably afraid of getting hurt.”

Richardson, who was replaced by Donald Brown before last week’s 22-14 win against the Titans, has averaged a paltry 2.8 yards a carry in 10 games since the blockbuster trade in September. Brown has made the most of his opportunity, running with a reckless abandon.

"I think the biggest difference between the two is Donald Brown, he’s not caring." Casey said. "He’s giving up his body and just running through the holes at full speed. He’s not breaking down and trying to see if he can shake a guy in the backfield. If he’s in the backfield he’s coming through. The first time he’s going to make a move is once he crosses that second level. He’s a straight power back.

“Then Trent Richardson you can see sometimes, he does a little tip-toe through the line and tries to figure out what he’s going to do before he gets to the hole."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/titans-dt-trent-richardson-is-probably-afraid-of-getting-hurt-120313?cmpid=tsmtw:fscom:NFLonFOX

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the literal opposite of what a casual fan would say, that Trent goes downhill without caring and DB dances around.

Heard it straight from the defender horse's mouth, validation for Donald Brown. He is doing all he can to make himself a hot commodity in free agency, DB, I meant. :)

Good for him. Vilified in a pass friendly Peyton scheme as a newbie RB, and victimized by the Polian pass friendly and/or terrible OL picks, that is how I saw DB before this year.

This is the literal opposite of what a casual fan would say, that Trent goes downhill without caring and DB dances around.

Heard it straight from the defender horse's mouth, validation for Donald Brown. He is doing all he can to make himself a hot commodity in free agency, DB, I meant. :)

Good for him. Vilified in a pass friendly Peyton scheme as a newbie RB, and victimized by the Polian pass friendly and/or terrible OL picks, that is how I saw DB before this year.

I agree except for the terrible OL picks (not that his picks the last few years were good with the exception of AC, although I wanted Hudson with that pick).  DB's biggest problem with the Colts was the zone blocking scheme.  I have said on this forum for years that DB is not good at anticipating where the hole is going to be.  Therefore, in a zone blocking scheme where the can be anywhere from left shoulder of the center to right shoulder of the tackle, for example, he struggled.  But now that the Colts are running more man blocking, especially in the running game, the hole is the 2, 4, 6,1,3, 5 (I have no idea if the Colts give the holes those numbers, it's just common enough I figured everyone would understand what I mean) etc.  Brown is running to that spot, if the hole is there it's a good gain because he hits the hole fast and runs with power once he gets to the 2nd level.  If the hole is not there then it will be a gain for 0-1 yard.  For years I said the Colts should not have drafted DB, not because he had no talent but because it was trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Now the Colts are doing the same thing with Richardson but in reverse, Richardson came from a team that runs a zone blocking scheme, he is used to waiting with the ball in his hand for the hole to develop and then hitting the hole.  Well in a man blocking scheme the hole will not develop... it will be there and then it's gone because the Lbers are reading the oline and filling the hole.  The idea is to have the running back into the hole before the LBers can fill it that way they(the Lbers) are hitting the running back at an angle and therefore an easier tackle to break.  Just like I said early on in a thread about Trich's learning curve, it will take him to next year to be comfortable, there isn't really time to practice that kind of stuff during the season because the practices are spent on game plan prep, not fundamental prep.

Funny thing is, the stuff that Trent is doing is exactly what people used to complain about Donald doing. it could just be something that these young guys need to figure out, that instead of thinking they just need to hit the hole and go. It really sounds like a lot of it is just in Trent's head at this point.

Either way, our offensive line SUCKS

Donald Brown started & struggled just like Trent Richardson did. Both had the same yards per carry, well similar to each other.

Exactly why I'm giving Trent Richardson some time to get it together. His blockers couldn't block a team of some of our forum members if we formed a team

Donald Brown started & struggled just like Trent Richardson did. Both had the same yards per carry, well similar to each other.

Exactly why I'm giving Trent Richardson some time to get it together. His blockers couldn't block a team of some of our forum members if we formed a team

Oh yeah I'd spin by satele and stop trent in back field lol.

2/3rds of TRs yards were on a meaningless 13 yard gain on 3rd and 20. About 90% of DBs yards were on the game winning drive where he averaged about 8 YPC. The YPC for the game are misleading.

[quote name="Coffeedrinker"

Richardson came from a team that runs a zone blocking scheme, he is used to waiting with the ball in his hand for the hole to develop and then hitting the hole.

Wow. Thanks. I knew there had to be a logical explanation for his stutter stepping. The way he moves his feet after the hand-off is exactly what we all have seen a thousand times when a running back is waiting for a hole to develop. There is no doubt in my mind he will break this habit.

It's easy to say "he sucks', or "he's afraid of getting hurt"..I don't believe either of those.

2/3rds of TRs yards were on a meaningless 13 yard gain on 3rd and 20. About 90% of DBs yards were on the game winning drive where he averaged about 8 YPC. The YPC for the game are misleading.

The game winning drive yards I didn't really factor in because the team finally woke up. All game we struggled until I guess Reggie Wayne being disgusted or Andrew Luck taking control woke the team up.

Flashbacks from last year where all game we'd be horrible and struggle but it was always that ONE drive we put together that looked almost flawless to win the game

The game winning drive yards I didn't really factor in because the team finally woke up. All game we struggled until I guess Reggie Wayne being disgusted or Andrew Luck taking control woke the team up.

Flashbacks from last year where all game we'd be horrible and struggle but it was always that ONE drive we put together that looked almost flawless to win the game

Well, if you don't factor in the final and arguably most important drive of the game (why?) I believe DB averaged 1 YPC and TR 5 YPC. TR wins!

Well, if you don't factor in the final and arguably most important drive of the game (why?) I believe DB averaged 1 YPC and TR 3.8 YPC. TR wins!

Only because that's when the team finally locked in. Trent Richardson could've ran well behind that "newly awoken" line. Just really hope we can wake up and play better in time for the playoffs

Only because that's when the team finally locked in. Trent Richardson could've ran well behind that "newly awoken" line. Just really hope we can wake up and play better in time for the playoffs

No, TR wouldn't have. He would have stutter stepped where DB hits the hole full speed. Anyone who has watched the games has seen this time and time again. Even an opponent in Jurrell Casey, who has no axe to grind, sees it.

I agree except for the terrible OL picks (not that his picks the last few years were good with the exception of AC, although I wanted Hudson with that pick).  DB's biggest problem with the Colts was the zone blocking scheme.  I have said on this forum for years that DB is not good at anticipating where the hole is going to be.  Therefore, in a zone blocking scheme where the can be anywhere from left shoulder of the center to right shoulder of the tackle, for example, he struggled.  But now that the Colts are running more man blocking, especially in the running game, the hole is the 2, 4, 6,1,3, 5 (I have no idea if the Colts give the holes those numbers, it's just common enough I figured everyone would understand what I mean) etc.  Brown is running to that spot, if the hole is there it's a good gain because he hits the hole fast and runs with power once he gets to the 2nd level.  If the hole is not there then it will be a gain for 0-1 yard.  For years I said the Colts should not have drafted DB, not because he had no talent but because it was trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

I agree completely about Brown and said the same thing many times.  I never thought he was suited for the zone blocking and stretch play that was the primary focus of the running game during Brown's early years.  I was told many times that Brown is not a down hill runner simply because of his body type but I never agreed.  

No, TR wouldn't have. He would have stutter stepped where DB hits the hole full speed. Anyone who has watched the games has seen this time and time again. Even an opponent in Jurrell Casey, who has no axe to grind, sees it.

@PriscoCBS: To be fair to Trent Richardson, I don't think a combo of Jim Brown and OJ Simpson could get yards behind Satele and those guards

I rest my case lol

I agree completely about Brown and said the same thing many times.  I never thought he was suited for the zone blocking and stretch play that was the primary focus of the running game during Brown's early years.  I was told many times that Brown is not a down hill runner simply because of his body type but I never agreed.  

yeah, if you watch him once he gets to the 2nd level he can really lower his shoulder and run over some people.

I really like "coffeedrinkers" evaluation . . . makes a lot of sense.  Here's the question: can Richardson learn a new system during the off-season, and be ready to go next year?

Thanks and welcome to the forum.

That is up to T Rich.  From everything that is out there to read or listen to it sounds like he has the work ethic and desire to work on it and improve.

Wow. Thanks. I knew there had to be a logical explanation for his stutter stepping. The way he moves his feet after the hand-off is exactly what we all have seen a thousand times when a running back is waiting for a hole to develop. There is no doubt in my mind he will break this habit.

It's easy to say "he sucks', or "he's afraid of getting hurt"..I don't believe either of those.

If you have a chance go back and watch Edge during his prime with the Colts.  Now the Colts oline was much better back then without a doubt, but there were times when he would move his feet like Richardson does for a 5+ yard gain.  I used to say that james was the only running back who could walk for a 10 yard gain.

Richardson did get a carry behind the "newly awoken" line. He was stuffed.   The next play the coaches got smart again and put Brown back on the field, he powered into the endzone for game sealing TD.

Richardson did get a carry behind the "newly awoken" line. He was stuffed. The next play the coaches got smart again and put Brown back on the field, he powered into the endzone for game sealing TD.

That or run the clock down to the 2 minute warning, ensuring the titans didn't have that to make a comeback with.

yeah, if you watch him once he gets to the 2nd level he can really lower his shoulder and run over some people.

which really dispels the theory that many have that Brown is "soft" and easy to tackle.  Sure he's easy to tackle when 3 or 4 defensive linemen and/or LB's get to him at the same time.  One on one though he's not going down without a fight.

He has always played hard

He hasn't always run hard. The criticisms being lobbed at Richardson right now are the same problems that Donald Brown has dealt with for the last four and a half years. People still accuse him of being indecisive at the start of the play.

But the final two carries of the game really showed the difference between Old Donald and New Donald. Only Richardson was playing the role of Old Donald. The way New Donald powered through into the end zone is what we were hoping we'd get from Richardson.

which really dispels the theory that many have that Brown is "soft" and easy to tackle.  Sure he's easy to tackle when 3 or 4 defensive linemen and/or LB's get to him at the same time.  One on one though he's not going down without a fight.

This year, that's true. Previous years, he'd fall down with an arm tackle.

I've never been a Brown hater, but there's a clear difference in the way he's running the ball right now and the way he ran it in prior years.

I have never bought into this theory.  Since NFL contracts are not guaranteed, players are always playing for a contract.

Playing to keep your contract is worlds different than players who play for a contract with another team.  I think it is misapplied far too often, but the mindset is anything but farfetched.  You may not always have to play your best to keep your contract, but you certainly have to play your best to get a big contract from another team.

This year, that's true. Previous years, he'd fall down with an arm tackle.

I've never been a Brown hater, but there's a clear difference in the way he's running the ball right now and the way he ran it in prior years.

I wouldn't say Brown fell down all the time with an arm tackle.  I do think there were also plenty of times that he fought for yardage.  He was less consistent at it in years past as he has been this year I will definitely agree to that.  I think some (not all) of his problems in previous years though have been that he wasn't a good fit for the type of blocking scheme the colts were using.  I never felt he was a good runner in the zone blocking/stretch play scheme.  

Casey is right, Richardson does often stop and tip toe. However, I don't think its because he's afraid of getting hurt.

But Trent does need to run faster through the hole.

And a LOT freakin' lower behind his pads....why can't he learn to do that? ...geez, Bradshaw was the master of it.