Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots Panthers Great Ending

danlhart87

BZaJvIOCMAEdltK.jpg

True...but again, I'm just saying that I dont like how it went down. I think there's a difference between a missed call and a wrong call...if they never threw the flag well...it is what it is. But they overturned the call and their description of why is what has me peeved.

Have you heard the statement released by the VP of Officiating? He could have said at any point that the officials made the right call, but all he could repeatedly muster was that 'they made a tight judgment call' and 'if you watch it in full speed he understands why they made the call.'

We've heard explanations before whenever there is a controversial call, and the NFL always jumps to defend the officials and say they made the right call. So the fact that it was never said here speaks volumes. They NFL knows it was bad and they are scrambling to mask it. 

In the end, who knows how the game would have ended up if the Patriots got another chance. They may have lost anyways who knows and you all know I never like to blame officials and I am not blaming them for the loss. I just hate the way it was handled and it's too bad that it has to overshadow what was a great football game. 

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please dont compare to what Manning did to Brady's last at Panthers.

Manning never called a timeout and it was imposed on Denver. Brady during the post game said he didnt even see the play. Fact that he was arguing with the referee without seeing the play??. And he was cursing at them.

first off Brady said that because they did not want to say what they think in the presser  . . . after all every pats opponent is "the best at doing everything" most of the time they say it out of respect, sometimes it true, sometimes they just pick the good players so what they say is true, and sometimes it is plan political nonsense for the presser and public . . . Brady is not going to say "I say the play and it was an ^^^ call and can not see why they have their jobs" . . . he is going to pass it off and play jimmy the dunce . . .

as for Manning being upset, he was mad because the refs made Denver take a timeout and give back SD TO, as the clock was key at the point in the game preserving SD's TO help them as they could stop the clock on more time . . . Brady is not stupid and I don't believe his presser . .. . I got no problem with a QB yelling at a ref for a flag pick up no more than I have a problem with a QB getting at a ref for giving the TO back to SD . .. you are the one applying a double standard not me . . . I view them consistently . .  . 

What are you not so sure?. Fx Stry explained as well as anyone could. 

Manning was sitting down coz SD took a timeout and refs messed up by "assuming" Manning needed one.

I hear yah, but what you are missing is that it is in the discretion, that is judgment of the ref, to call an injury TO . . . key word here is judgment of the ref . . . you do not have to like it or not . . .but once a player goes to the ground the ref can blown the game dead . . . you know kind of like Willie McGinnis a few years ago remember? . . . him falling to the ground and the ref blows whistle for a timeout . . . it happens all of the time in the NFL on a weekly basis in almost every game, not sure what game you guys are watching . . .

Manning got up appeared to be hurt, then goes down, then gets up limps a little bit and then goes down again. . . unless you are going to label Manning a drama queen or a Big Ben copy cat, the man looked like he was really injured and as such it is in the judgment (kind of like calling a PI call) for the ref to call an injury timeout . . . we must remember we are talking about iron Peyton the man all of you colts fan proudly proclaim (justified so) he only missed one snap and played a game with a broken jaw and had that iron man streak . .. well if this guy goes to the ground twice after a limp, what is the ref supposed to do with this guy who has this kind of resume . . . . naturally he would not go down lest he was injured . . .

also I do think that his time on the ground/walking it off outlasted the time of the SD TO and on this point would forced them to call the game dead with an injury timeout . .. but regardless I can understand why they called the injury timeout and understand too why Peyton was upset . . .

It turns out most people, including talking heads, don't have a very good grasp of the rules. And Steve Young claimed it should have been holding on Kuechly...not even realizing that can't be called when the ball is in the air.

Would anybody been happy if they called PI on a pass that there was a 99% chance Gronk wasn't going to catch? Watching Brady sneak it in from the 1 would have been a horrible and incorrect ending to that game. And I'm sure the talking heads would be talking how the refs screwed the panthers.

yes it is very very frustrating that some of the talking heads do not know the rules, or at least qualify the statement like "it looks like a hold but I need to take a closer look at the film to see if the ball was in the air" . . . problem is these people can give a wrong impression to a great deal of the audience . . .

as for the catchability . . . as my first post today in this thread . . . I am not a fan of most PI calls . ..but we have seen many many a PI call when the ball is 5 feet over the head of the WR and its call PI even though no one has a 5 foot vertical . . .but its PI and everyone goes on about their business . . . or the ball is going out of bounds and is out of the reach or be an out of bounds catch and its a PI call, or the ball is horribly underthrown and hits the DB in the bum and he made some contact and not looking behind, but the WR can catch a ball that hits the DB bum and so on . . .and so on and so on and so on . . .

here is not different, yah they maybe a low percentage he could catch it, like if he turned sooner and/or the other CB bobble it he was take out of the play to get to the ball . . . although some could make the argument is PI under the loose and free PI calling in the NFL, I am not bothered by the call to pick up the flag

Yes, the offensive holding was in the saints game

Right.. I assumed that. What I was wondering to begin with was if that offensive holding shown was on the same play that they picked the flag up on. I comprende that it was a different play. Gracias

first off Brady said that because they did not want to say what they think in the presser  . . . after all every pats opponent is "the best at doing everything" most of the time they say it out of respect, sometimes it true, sometimes they just pick the good players so what they say is true, and sometimes it is plan political nonsense for the presser and public . . . Brady is not going to say "I say the play and it was an ^^^ call and can not see why they have their jobs" . . . he is going to pass it off and play jimmy the dunce . . .

as for Manning being upset, he was mad because the refs made Denver take a timeout and give back SD TO, as the clock was key at the point in the game preserving SD's TO help them as they could stop the clock on more time . . . Brady is not stupid and I don't believe his presser . .. . I got no problem with a QB yelling at a ref for a flag pick up no more than I have a problem with a QB getting at a ref for giving the TO back to SD . .. you are the one applying a double standard not me . . . I view them consistently . .  . 

Wow, i am applying double standard?. I lost you there buddy. First of you dragging Manning into this discussion is uncalled for. Fact, that you know Brady was arguing which was caught in camera and he publicly lying at the press saying i didnt see the play. I dont know what to say, i will leave it at that.

I hear yah, but what you are missing is that it is in the discretion, that is judgment of the ref, to call an injury TO . . . key word here is judgment of the ref . . . you do not have to like it or not . . .but once a player goes to the ground the ref can blown the game dead . . . you know kind of like Willie McGinnis a few years ago remember? . . . him falling to the ground and the ref blows whistle for a timeout . . . it happens all of the time in the NFL on a weekly basis in almost every game, not sure what game you guys are watching . . .

Manning got up appeared to be hurt, then goes down, then gets up limps a little bit and then goes down again. . . unless you are going to label Manning a drama queen or a Big Ben copy cat, the man looked like he was really injured and as such it is in the judgment (kind of like calling a PI call) for the ref to call an injury timeout . . . we must remember we are talking about iron Peyton the man all of you colts fan proudly proclaim (justified so) he only missed one snap and played a game with a broken jaw and had that iron man streak . .. well if this guy goes to the ground twice after a limp, what is the ref supposed to do with this guy who has this kind of resume . . . . naturally he would not go down lest he was injured . . .

also I do think that his time on the ground/walking it off outlasted the time of the SD TO and on this point would forced them to call the game dead with an injury timeout . .. but regardless I can understand why they called the injury timeout and understand too why Peyton was upset . . .

Manning was doing that coz SD called a timeout, anyways, 

Look i have no problem Brady arguing. All i am saying is be sensible and smart. Sometimes he just goes a bit overboard and feels apologetic later, guess thats how he is wired

Haven't posted here yet.

All I got to say is that even though it's absolutely nothing to him, Brady should be expecting a nice little fine for his spat with the refs after the game. That surprised me, because Brady usually handles himself with class. Also didn't like the fact he didn't shake Cam Newton's hand (who outplayed him).

Great game and very happy for the Panthers!

More sour grapes from Brady and his followers. As his years without a ring increase, his petulance inceases in tandem. Wrong call / right call, he blew it and admitted so after.

I cannot remember ever whinging about a call, as I know you get ther good ones as well as the bad.

And if that is 'game of the season' then I'm DHB. #"@!;t,......oops, just dropped my Blackberry...

So the other team got away with pass interference and the Patriots lost? That's ironic.

I see what you did there ;)

But what I find interesting is that you are trying to compare a situation when one thing was not called consistently all game long and the players failed to adapt their gameplay as a result, and a situation where it was suddenly not called after being called all game simply because it was the last play of the game and nobody wants a game to end like that.

It's all about consistency...and we'll just have to wait and see if Patriots fans are still complaining about this game 10 full years later like Colts fans are still doing now.THAT will be what's ironic...

But what I find interesting is that you are trying to compare a situation when one thing was not called consistently all game long and the players failed to adapt their gameplay as a result, and a situation where it was suddenly not called after being called all game simply because it was the last play of the game and nobody wants a game to end like that.

It's all about consistency...and we'll just have to wait and see if Patriots fans are still complaining about this game 10 full years later like Colts fans are still doing now.THAT will be what's ironic...

If we want to talk consistency, then other teams need to get many calls in favor of them against Pats.

Pats always have been the ones who gets calls in their favor.

Heck, NE won a SB with it.

Brady was asked Tuesday on WEEI Radio if he'd ever seen a pass called uncatchable because it was too low; the New England Patriots quarterback called it a new experience.

"No, I haven't," he said. "I'm sure there is a first time for everything. We get our fair share of calls and we don't. Referees never want to be in that position either ... I guess being in the NFL for as long as I've been in you see kinda everything. It happened and we're gonna have to move on. You don't have long to grieve in the NFL."

I don't think they picked up the flag because it was the last play of the game. I'd agree if they had not thrown a flag period.

But in this case, I think they felt the pass was uncatchable. After watching the replay a bunch of times, I disagree, but that's a judgment call. And they don't have the benefit of watching replay a bunch of times.

It sucks to have a good flag picked up in a crucial spot because the refs second guess themselves. It happened to us in the Rams game. Early on, on third down, Fleener got interfered with, they flagged it, then changed their minds. We didn't deserve to win that game, but who knows what happens if they don't pick up that flag?

But that's different from not throwing it at all because the game hinges on it.

Please dont compare to what Manning did to Brady's last at Panthers.

Manning never called a timeout and it was imposed on Denver. Brady during the post game said he didnt even see the play. Fact that he was arguing with the referee without seeing the play??. And he was cursing at them.

He wasn't arguing the play, he was asking for an explanation as to why a penalty was called but picked up. Which is pretty reasonable I think. Every analyst I've seen/read this week has said, at the very least, that the referee crew should have explained it a bit more instead of immediately running into the tunnel so they could regroup and get their story straight. 

BZaJvIOCMAEdltK.jpg

I agree with the spirit of this, but... apples and oranges. No flag was thrown and then picked up in the Saints game. NFL refs miss calls completely all the time. It's not as common for them to throw flags and then pick them up. Especially in a situation where that ends a game. 

I thought this map was kinda funny.  Further proof that Indy vs. NE rivalry lives on. 

That's pretty funny indeed, lol... Indy fans and Broncos fans are still bitter.  ;)

More sour grapes from Brady and his followers. As his years without a ring increase, his petulance inceases in tandem. Wrong call / right call, he blew it and admitted so after.

I cannot remember ever whinging about a call, as I know you get ther good ones as well as the bad.

And if that is 'game of the season' then I'm DHB. #"@!;t,......oops, just dropped my Blackberry...

Save your petty arguments and condescension for Mrs. Wallace. Is she still causing unrest at the homestead by rooting for the Pats?  :D   (Cheers pal!) 

If we want to talk consistency, then other teams need to get many calls in favor of them against Pats.

Pats always have been the ones who gets calls in their favor.

Heck, NE won a SB with it.

This general categorization bothers me as a Pats fan, even thought I know it shouldn't. It's the kind of statement that misleads any uninformed, inexperienced NFL watchers.

The Tuck Rule, as it was written, was correctly applied. You can hate the rule (and I would agree), but the notion that the Patriots somehow had a "bad call" go their way is just not accurate. 

It also fails to recognize a couple of things:

1. The Raiders did not lose the game on that play. Yes they would have pretty much sealed it, but they still had a chance to stop NE, and got the ball first in OT. They failed in every way once that play happened. I understand how it can change momentum but still... championship teams overcome stuff like that and persevere. 

2. The Patriots still had to beat Pittsburgh on the road and then St. Louis in the SB to win the 2001 championship. The tuck rule had nothing to do with either of those games. Just helped the Patriots get there. To say that they were gifted a title because of the tuck rule is a little disingenuous and doesn't give them enough credit. (Not to mention... Woodson could have easily been flagged for a blow to the head and a 15-yard penalty.) 

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, November 20, 2013 - personal shot/inflammatory
Hidden by shecolt, November 20, 2013 - personal shot/inflammatory

He wasn't arguing the play, he was asking for an explanation as to why a penalty was called but picked up. Which is pretty reasonable I think. Every analyst I've seen/read this week has said, at the very least, that the referee crew should have explained it a bit more instead of immediately running into the tunnel so they could regroup and get their story straight. 

I agree with the spirit of this, but... apples and oranges. No flag was thrown and then picked up in the Saints game. NFL refs miss calls completely all the time. It's not as common for them to throw flags and then pick them up. Especially in a situation where that ends a game. 

That's pretty funny indeed, lol... Indy fans and Broncos fans are still bitter.  ;)

Save your petty arguments and condescension for Mrs. Wallace. Is she still causing unrest at the homestead by rooting for the Pats?  :D   (Cheers pal!) 

This general categorization bothers me as a Pats fan, even thought I know it shouldn't. It's the kind of statement that misleads any uninformed, inexperienced NFL watchers.

The Tuck Rule, as it was written, was correctly applied. You can hate the rule (and I would agree), but the notion that the Patriots somehow had a "bad call" go their way is just not accurate. 

It also fails to recognize a couple of things:

1. The Raiders did not lose the game on that play. Yes they would have pretty much sealed it, but they still had a chance to stop NE, and got the ball first in OT. They failed in every way once that play happened. I understand how it can change momentum but still... championship teams overcome stuff like that and persevere. 

2. The Patriots still had to beat Pittsburgh on the road and then St. Louis in the SB to win the 2001 championship. The tuck rule had nothing to do with either of those games. Just helped the Patriots get there. To say that they were gifted a title because of the tuck rule is a little disingenuous and doesn't give them enough credit. (Not to mention... Woodson could have easily been flagged for a blow to the head and a 15-yard penalty.)

Don't waste the time GoPats. You can't fix stupid.

I don't care about Brady going after the refs, but there is a HUGE double standard. Had that been Dez Bryant, look out.

All elite Qbs have a double standard. If that same hit is applied to Geno Smith or Ben Roethlisberge in the niners/saints game no foul is called.

And the only double standard for Brady in this case maybe from the media who thought he was justified in wanting an explanation. He is still probably going to get fined from the league.

I don't think Carolina is legit at all. Brady and the O moved the ball all night at will against them. I thought KC played a better game against the Broncos then the Panthers did againt the Pats. They had very little effect on our pass or run game.

I felt good too. I like the way the Pats played overall. Have to clean up the fumbles but otherwise solid effort.

On to Denver ...

I can see what you're saying, but what was lost in the aftermath of No-Call-Gate (heh-heh) was that Brady was pretty brilliant in that game. Lots of short and intermediate stuff, yeah, but at one point he was 25/28 passing. One of Brady's greatest strengths as a QB is patience... he rarely forces anything that's not there unless the situation is desperate.

The Patriots also got the run game rolling pretty good. I think what we saw was more reflective of the Patriots' offense finally coming together a bit than a team with an overrated defense. And going up against Carolina with Denver next is going to help NE in this week's game. I would say the same goes for Denver/KC, but I thought KC's defense played very passively in that game and that their game plan was very unimaginative. Almost like they were saving everything for two weeks from now when the Broncos go to Arrowhead. (Which might be exactly what Reid was doing... who knows.) 

Overall though, solid game, on the road, against a top D and red-hot team. I actually feel better about the Patriots chances going on the road in the playoffs, even after a loss, because that really "felt" like a playoff game to me. Same kind of atmosphere, and that always happens to NE. (Any primetime game played in another city is always treated like that team's SB if the Patriots are in town.) 

Again take into context what is going on in the game.  

1.   Why is a flag thrown?  Easy the ref is doing his job and watching the receiver and defender if there is an action of pass interference.  He is not watching the ball.

2.   Why is the flag picked up?  Again easy, it is, unfortunately for the Pats, very bad luck because due to the nature of the coverage the defender took the inside route.  This then completely prohibits Gronk making a play THROUGH A PERSON to come back to a poorly thrown ball.  No one in the league is getting that call just plain and simple.  If Brady throws a solid throw its an easy PI but because of the RULE (interception before the play) the refs pick it up because it simply was impossible to be caught.  Now if the defender is on the outside of Gronk and he has a free pass to the ball then of course its PI no question.  

3.  Why do the refs not explain?  Again another easy explanation, the refs are not required to explain the finer rules of the game.  And in doing so would take up a lot of time that simply wasn't needed.  

Would I have been bothered? of course! but don't forget you just finished a game and there is another team.  Don't make this all about you go shake some hands take the loss and find out about everything later.  SPORTSMANSHIP  

Take these factors and there shouldn't be any bitterness about the game other than the Pats could have easily won this if they executed early.  But they didn't and that is football...

I can see what you're saying, but what was lost in the aftermath of No-Call-Gate (heh-heh) was that Brady was pretty brilliant in that game. Lots of short and intermediate stuff, yeah, but at one point he was 25/28 passing. One of Brady's greatest strengths as a QB is patience... he rarely forces anything that's not there unless the situation is desperate.

The Patriots also got the run game rolling pretty good. I think what we saw was more reflective of the Patriots' offense finally coming together a bit than a team with an overrated defense. And going up against Carolina with Denver next is going to help NE in this week's game. I would say the same goes for Denver/KC, but I thought KC's defense played very passively in that game and that their game plan was very unimaginative. Almost like they were saving everything for two weeks from now when the Broncos go to Arrowhead. (Which might be exactly what Reid was doing... who knows.) 

Overall though, solid game, on the road, against a top D and red-hot team. I actually feel better about the Patriots chances going on the road in the playoffs, even after a loss, because that really "felt" like a playoff game to me. Same kind of atmosphere, and that always happens to NE. (Any primetime game played in another city is always treated like that team's SB if the Patriots are in town.) 

Good points. Those were my thoughts as well. Really loved how the O performed and the D was solid until that final drive. I have to say I was also very impressed with Newton. He has really matured and had a nice game.

I do like our chances on the road better. I feel like even if we lose to Denver, we should close out the final 5 against the Fins, Bills, Ravens, Texans, and Browns. I would think 12-4 would get us the #2 seed but have to see how it all plays out. A win against a Denver would go a long way though in getting to the bye.

I don't care about Brady going after the refs, but there is a HUGE double standard. Had that been Dez Bryant, look out.

I'm sure Brady would tell you that he would not do that again and chalk it up to a "heat of the moment" situation. He is an emotional player on the field, as we all know. 

1.   Why is a flag thrown?  Easy the ref is doing his job and watching the receiver and defender if there is an action of pass interference.  He is not watching the ball.

2.   Why is the flag picked up?  Again easy, it is, unfortunately for the Pats, very bad luck because due to the nature of the coverage the defender took the inside route.  This then completely prohibits Gronk making a play THROUGH A PERSON to come back to a poorly thrown ball.  No one in the league is getting that call just plain and simple.  If Brady throws a solid throw its an easy PI but because of the RULE (interception before the play) the refs pick it up because it simply was impossible to be caught.  Now if the defender is on the outside of Gronk and he has a free pass to the ball then of course its PI no question.  

3.  Why do the refs not explain?  Again another easy explanation, the refs are not required to explain the finer rules of the game.  And in doing so would take up a lot of time that simply wasn't needed.  

Would I have been bothered? of course! but don't forget you just finished a game and there is another team.  Don't make this all about you go shake some hands take the loss and find out about everything later.  SPORTSMANSHIP  

Take these factors and there shouldn't be any bitterness about the game other than the Pats could have easily won this if they executed early.  But they didn't and that is football...

lol. About the bitterness. The Pats and their fans move on from games like these unlike Colts and Raiders who still talk about games from the early '00's ...

I'm not sure if Carolina "isn't legit" but I do think the game showed that the Patriots have adapted to the lack of personnel.  The O looked sharp and that is what I took.   Tell me this, what D is going to legitimately stop Brady in an offense that is clicking?  Not many lol  

So I think Carolina is still in it for the long haul I just think that it more showed if Pats O executes they are dangerous.  No fumble early and Pats easily up 2 possessions before the half.  If that kind of pressure is on Cam I highly doubt they score.

I hear you on this, and when you apply the old "eye test" all of it rings true, BUT...

Gronk is a very big, very athletic player with a huge catch radius. His hands are the size of frying pans and he's made dozens of remarkable catches in his relatively short career. To suggest that, had he been completely uninhibited (and not held), he definitively had NO SHOT at making that catch is poor judgment - at best - on the refs' part. Brady himself said that the throw should have been better, but a 6'5" tight end with excellent agility can generally make a good effort on a ball that's coming in about five yards short of where he is. 

Throw in the fact that, prior to wrapping him up, Kuechely was making contact past five yards and kind of rode Gronk to the back of the end zone before bear-hugging him.

If this play is legal, then I would suggest that every defensive coordinator instruct his cover guys to just bear-hug their assignment when the ball is not coming their way. 

lol. About the bitterness. The Pats and their fans move on from games like these unlike Colts and Raiders who still talk about games from the early '00's ...

Huh?  I'm talking about being bitter at your own team (and the bitterness of this thread by all fans)...  If Indy was playing last night I would be more * that they were in that position in the first place.  Pats had this game easy if the players would have just executed...

Huh?  I'm talking about being bitter at your own team (and the bitterness of this thread by all fans)...  If Indy was playing last night I would be more * that they were in that position in the first place.  Pats had this game easy if the players would have just executed...

What? Pats played a great game. Perhaps their best of the season in hostile conditions against a hot team at their place. Sure, there were mistakes like every game. Fact is Pats had a chance at the end to win which is all you can ask. They should have had one more play but it was taken away. Such is life. On to Denver which is a much bigger conference game.

Truth. Most games come down to a handful of plays. The Ridley fumble was a huge mistake. The failure to convert on 3rd-and-1 (when the Patriots took the lead with a FG) was another spot where they left points on the field. 

The key is to win decisively so you don't put yourself in those positions where a ref can decide the game with a call. Or, in this case, a non-call.  ;)