Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck Fleener and Whalen on Martin

danlhart87

To put it nicely lol

Miami's pass blocking is abysmal, and gives up sacks like Santa gives out gifts. Martin did not look good.

But he went to Stanford when Luck, Fleener & Whalen were there. Andrew Luck's offensive line was excellent at Stanford. Didn't Martin play on that line? How is it possible that he's terrible you guys?! :Gaah:

I think the whole situation stinks but I don't want a guy who can't even stick up for himself. Then just quits in the team. It gets ugly in the trenches and I'm sure not only do things get said but now they have something to trash talk about. Doesn't matter if you win or lose. You don't let someone punk you like that, especially for 2 years. I'm sure he's a nice guy though.

But he went to Stanford when Luck, Fleener & Whalen were there. Andrew Luck's offensive line was excellent at Stanford. Didn't Martin play on that line? How is it possible that he's terrible you guys?! :Gaah:

College opponents =/= NFL opponents. Whalen doesnt look very good as an NFL reciever either.

I think the whole situation stinks but I don't want a guy who can't even stick up for himself. Then just quits in the team. It gets ugly in the trenches and I'm sure not only do things get said but now they have something to trash talk about. Doesn't matter if you win or lose. You don't let someone punk you like that, especially for 2 years. I'm sure he's a nice guy though.

Trash talking is one thing (I.E. Richard Sherman)

It's another thing to bully/haze someone. Bullying has lead to suicide by some people. You just never know. Doesn't make you a punk, everyone is different. Gotta look at it from the victim's perspective and not what you think you "would've" done if it was you

It's another thing to bully/haze someone. Bullying has lead to suicide by some people. You just never know. Doesn't make you a punk, everyone is different. Gotta look at it from the victim's perspective and not what you think you "would've" done if it was you

Yeah that's true, I don't know what was or was not said. Richie from the sounds of it crossed the line. You don't treat the men you go to battle with like that. That kinda crap makes a dude snap. I'm sure if he would of just smoked Incongnitos face he would of chilled out, win or lose.

Yeah that's true, I don't know what was or was not said. Richie from the sounds of it crossed the line. You don't treat the men you go to battle with like that. That kinda crap makes a dude snap. I'm sure if he would of just smoked Incongnitos face he would of chilled out, win or lose.

You gotta remember Richie has drug & alcohol abuse history. No telling what's going on up in his head these days.

Agreed.

I have seen a lot of posts in several threads saying what Martin "should" have done.

It's easy to say what someone should have done when you aren't that someone wearing that someone's shoes. 

Probably a bad time to say this but probably the only time to say it...... since they're such good friends, Luck & co. should recruit this Martin kid to the :colts:if he wants to play again after he gets sorted out

lol he's not just gonna retire cause of this little incident. And yes, I do think it's being blown out of proportion 

That said, he'd be okay depth I guess. 

lol he's not just gonna retire cause of this little incident. And yes, I do think it's being blown out of proportion

That said, he'd be okay depth I guess.

This "little incident" has him laying on a therapist's couch expressing his feelings. I really wouldn't make a decision on what he's gonna do. Maybe he won't come back, we don't know

Guest TeamLoloJones

We have enough bad O-lineman.

Offensive lineman (especially tackles)  take longer to develop than any other position.  There have plenty of pro bowl lineman that were not very good their first few seasons.  

He probably shouldn't be playing left tackle

Probably not, but he was not looking good at Miami, so most people are going to judge based on that. NFL talent scouts and GMs may see something there though.

Who knows, Miami may not even release him.

A lot of things that are starting to come out from other Dolphin's players and other sources makes me more and more suspicious that there is a lot more to this story.  Seems to me from a lot of stuff that is being said this might be Martin's way to get out of football and maybe make a little "walking money" in the process.

If he wants to play again and gets out of his Miami contract he would be worth a sniff at least.  Frankly both our tackle spots are full at the moment and the tackles are not the issue with the line.  He would have to move to guard and I am not sure he can do that. 

As for his issues he might not be good enough but you can't help but wonder what was going on in Miami had an impact on his play.

He probably shouldn't be playing left tackle

They brought in Brendan McKinnie to play left tackle and moved Martin back to RT just before he left the team a few weeks back.

I wouldn't count him out completely yet, he has obviously be going through a lot and has not had the chance to fulfill his potential.

No one is writing off Joeckel, Fisher and Johnson after bad starts to their careers. Martin would probably turn into a decent player if he sticks around.

Probably a bad time to say this but probably the only time to say it...... since they're such good friends, Luck & co. should recruit this Martin kid to the :colts: if he wants to play again after he gets sorted out

I agree..the kid just needs people who support him rather than those who enjoyed abusing him...

....with three old teammates and an old coach (pep) in a posiutive atmosphere...Martrin would return for form..

Miami players defended the abuser .. a guy who has a history of low-grade behavior..and they had black players who excused racial slurs??? Please..

'It speaks volumes about that team

Agreed.

I have seen a lot of posts in several threads saying what Martin "should" have done.

It's easy to say what someone should have done when you aren't that someone wearing that someone's shoes.

Exactly....to hear Miami players excusing Incognito's vulgar racial, homicidal text messages.....suggest to me that Martin was made to be the whipping boy for a committee of warped minds..

...He needs to get out of there

If Martin wants to continue his NFL career, he has good cause to ask the Dolphins to trade him.  His ideal new team would be Indy.  His college coach and three of his Stanford teammates are already here, so he'll be welcomed by some familiar, friendly faces.  More importantly, the team's culture in Indy is completely different from Miami.  Colts coaches and players treat each other like family.  The more experienced veterans are expected to teach and mentor the younger players, not bully them or fleece them for money.

The Colts currently have no quality backup at Tackle (don't say the L word).  Imagine what the O-Line would look like if either Castonzo or Cherilus gets injured.  Martin is a talented young player who was thrown to the wolves as a rookie last year.  Not surprisingly, he struggled on their bad offensive line.  Miami's zone-blocking scheme isn't working, and Martin has been switched back and forth between RT and LT due to Jake Long's injury last season, Tyson Clabo's awful play this season, and the Dolphins' recent acquisition of Bryant McKinnie.  Given more time to learn as a backup in a respectful team environment, I think Martin can be coached up to play at a much higher level.

What would it cost to acquire Martin?  I'm guessing a 5th or 6th round pick.

Offensive lineman (especially tackles)  take longer to develop than any other position.  There have plenty of pro bowl lineman that were not very good their first few seasons.  

I seem to remember Costonzo taking a good amount of flak around here last year.  A lot of people wanted to replace him too, and he was the best player on the line last year.

Apparently now he's hitting his stride though.

If Martin wants to continue his NFL career, he has good cause to ask the Dolphins to trade him.  His ideal new team would be Indy.  His college coach and three of his Stanford teammates are already here, so he'll be welcomed by some familiar, friendly faces.  More importantly, the team's culture in Indy is completely different from Miami.  Colts coaches and players treat each other like family.  The more experienced veterans are expected to teach and mentor the younger players, not bully them or fleece them for money.

The Colts currently have no quality backup at Tackle (don't say the L word).  Imagine what the O-Line would look like if either Castonzo or Cherilus gets injured.  Martin is a talented young player who was thrown to the wolves as a rookie last year.  Not surprisingly, he struggled on their bad offensive line.  Miami's zone-blocking scheme isn't working, and Martin has been switched back and forth between RT and LT due to Jake Long's injury last season, Tyson Clabo's awful play this season, and the Dolphins' recent acquisition of Bryant McKinnie.  Given more time to learn as a backup in a respectful team environment, I think Martin can be coached up to play at a much higher level.

Maybe after this year is over they would be open to trading him.  Right now it would actually reduce their salary cap because of the dead money.

But next year they would free up a little bit of cap space if they shopped him out.

And his cap numbers would be friendly to us for the next 2 years.  

But he would either have to move to a different place on the line (I'm not sure how easy it is to do something like that) or he'd have to sit on the bench as a backup OT.

But he'd have friends here and the locker-room here is fairly friendly.  And he would need to do something to reestablish himself.  Because as much as I don't like it, there are gonna be NFL players that don't trust him because he left his team in the middle of a season.

But Indy would probably be the best place for him to transition back into the locker room.  

Is this sarcasm? I can't tell. We need to make a rule that you HAVE to put the sarcasm emoticon when you are using sarcasm.

trade deadline is over. can't trade for him. no dice

This is outright ignorant.  Martin didn't quit on his team, he had a breakdown.  Him walking away from a bad situation isn't a mark on his character whatsoever.  Everybody deals with trials and tribulations differently.  He clearly tried to keep it inside and work through it himself until he just couldn't take it anymore.  It's just wrong for people to say that he should confront Incognito or punch him in the face.  Would you punch someone in the face at your job?  

I consider myself a sociable and well rounded adult, but I experienced my fair share of bullying when I was younger.  It eventually lead to the same type of breakdown that Martin is going through.  I shouldn't have had to put up with that crap, and neither should he.  As much as the NFL is entertainment, a child's game, etcetera, it is still a business, a workplace, with co-workers and bosses.  This type of behavior would not be tolerated in any other circumstance and should not be tolerated here.  And Martin's character shouldn't be dragged through the mud because he didn't beat up a co-worker who was abusing him.

Have you seriously read the stuff that Incognito said to him?  It's some of the worst garbage I've ever read in my life, and no human should ever say that stuff to a fellow man.  And that's just one instance.  This apparently has been going on for years.  Anybody who defends Incognito is aggressively ignorant and insensitive.

This is outright ignorant. Martin didn't quit on his team, he had a breakdown. Him walking away from a bad situation isn't a mark on his character whatsoever. Everybody deals with trials and tribulations differently. He clearly tried to keep it inside and work through it himself until he just couldn't take it anymore. It's just wrong for people to say that he should confront Incognito or punch him in the face. Would you punch someone in the face at your job?

I consider myself a sociable and well rounded adult, but I experienced my fair share of bullying when I was younger. It eventually lead to the same type of breakdown that Martin is going through. I shouldn't have had to put up with that crap, and neither should he. As much as the NFL is entertainment, a child's game, etcetera, it is still a business, a workplace, with co-workers and bosses. This type of behavior would not be tolerated in any other circumstance and should not be tolerated here. And Martin's character shouldn't be dragged through the mud because he didn't beat up a co-worker who was abusing him.

Have you seriously read the stuff that Incognito said to him? It's some of the worst garbage I've ever read in my life, and no human should ever say that stuff to a fellow man. And that's just one instance. This apparently has been going on for years. Anybody who defends Incognito is aggressively ignorant and insensitive.

Short answer is yes. Yes I would punch someone in the face at my work. Maybe your post and opinion is ignorant IMO. To each his own. Guess what, I got bullied also when I was a kid. My older brother and parents made me fight him and he never messed with me ever again. I grew up in the military though. Was raised to defend myself.

I'll ask you the same question. If you have a very good job that you loves and paid you well would you let some * bully you for 2 years straight? Or would you rather just quit the job? I'm sorry to say we're going going to run into some type if bullying and much much worse in our lives. My wife is a very strong Christian woman and doesn't believe in defending yourself and such but there's no way in gods green earth I will let my kids get bullied.

This is outright ignorant.  Martin didn't quit on his team, he had a breakdown.  Him walking away from a bad situation isn't a mark on his character whatsoever.  Everybody deals with trials and tribulations differently.  He clearly tried to keep it inside and work through it himself until he just couldn't take it anymore.  It's just wrong for people to say that he should confront Incognito or punch him in the face.  Would you punch someone in the face at your job?  

I consider myself a sociable and well rounded adult, but I experienced my fair share of bullying when I was younger.  It eventually lead to the same type of breakdown that Martin is going through.  I shouldn't have had to put up with that crap, and neither should he.  As much as the NFL is entertainment, a child's game, etcetera, it is still a business, a workplace, with co-workers and bosses.  This type of behavior would not be tolerated in any other circumstance and should not be tolerated here.  And Martin's character shouldn't be dragged through the mud because he didn't beat up a co-worker who was abusing him.

Have you seriously read the stuff that Incognito said to him?  It's some of the worst garbage I've ever read in my life, and no human should ever say that stuff to a fellow man.  And that's just one instance.  This apparently has been going on for years.  Anybody who defends Incognito is aggressively ignorant and insensitive.

Foe one, we don't know the whole story yet. Teammates are claiming Martin played the voice mails for the entire locker room and laughed, understanding it was a joke. Granted, a joke that isn't for everyone, but nonetheless, a joke.

Would I punch a co worker in the face? No, not in my work environment.....in his, I would. I couldn't imagine having ever having a situation come about in my work place, but comparing my workplace to Martin's is absurd.

Having said that, I don't know exactly what happened and Martin may have been 100% right in walking away. We are dealing with very little info that is getting filtered by the oh so trustworthy media....best to let things play out before making a judgement.

Probably a bad time to say this but probably the only time to say it...... since they're such good friends, Luck & co. should recruit this Martin kid to the :colts: if he wants to play again after he gets sorted out

Exactly....this boy obviouisly can play..

he was starting for them but Miami seems to have a lot of priorities other than winning..

...Martin would be accepted here immediately on a team of his friends, former coaches and strong leaders..

The young man thought he was being abused and opposed to brawling....fighting or feuding..he just left.

In stead of taking the abuse to guarantee his paycheck..He walked away from his contract..that's a strong move, to me

His teammates didn't respect him and none stood up for him..so he was right to walk

That would not be problem in Indianapolis ...He would be among friends.

.. he can play...and we need linemen

Umm...Sorry to burst the bubble here, but so far he and David DeCastro has struggled in the NFL. It's possible he's terrible, because he's not good enough to play LT in the NFL? This shouldn't come as a shocker it does happen to a good amount of tackles. On the right side he was meh at best, but it was better than him at LT.