Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Article - Colts will regret Richardson trade

Everyone

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to argue with. I will say, however, that the O-line still isn't built to run block. Too many defenders meeting up with Richardson in the backfield. That said, Brown runs behind the same O-line and he has been far more explosive, averaging 5.6 yards/carry to Richardson's 3.0.

It's hard to argue with. I will say, however, that the O-line still isn't built to run block. Too many defenders meeting up with Richardson in the backfield. That said, Brown runs behind the same O-line and he has been far more explosive, averaging 5.6 yards/carry to Richardson's 3.0.

Tackling Trent Richardson numerous times will do that to you. Wears down the defense, Brown comes in and benefits.

You guys don't know that formula yet? That's basic football science & math

E + X × Power of E = Big gains in running yards

E is Trent Richardson.

X is Donald Brown

So add Trent Richardson to Donald Brown then times the power of Trent Richardson that wears down the defense and it equals big gains for Donald Brown

I think defenses are a lot more prone to expect Richardson to run over Brown. Don't get me wrong. Brown has been awesome this year getting chunks of yards when he's in. But if you give away a 1st for a running back you're probably going to want to use your new shiny toy a lot. Utilizing play action with Richardson in is ideal.

Just because Trent Richardson doesn't face a stacked box every down he is worthless? Jeffri Chadiha that is the most ridiculous explanation I have ever heard in my life.  haha I can't believe journalists get paid for spewing this garbage. Give the man some time Jesus. No patience whatsoever. I highly doubt that Trent has fully mastered all the facets of our offense yet. 

I worry about TRich being over-rated.  Bradshaw ran well behind this line against San Francisco.  Ballard had a great rookie campaign with virtually the same line last season.  How long does it take for an NFL RB to reach his potential?  Shouldn't we see glimpses of it at some point this season now that the remaining schedule is a great deal more friendly?  

Supposedly, even the great Jim Brown once described him as average.  

Tackling Trent Richardson numerous times will do that to you. Wears down the defense, Brown comes in and benefits.

You guys don't know that formula yet? That's basic football science & math

E + X × Power of E = Big gains in running yards

E is Trent Richardson.

X is Donald Brown

So add Trent Richardson to Donald Brown then times the power of Trent Richardson that wears down the defense and it equals big gains for Donald Brown

Uh oh TK24...You are bringing up SW1's worst subjects in school. You do a nice job explaining your work so SW1 will let it slide.  :D  Interesting formula you got there. I will believe you before Jeffri Chadiha anyway. Who spells Jeffery with an i anyway? Strange...Okay, forget it. 

I regretted it about as soon as I heard what we gave up for him.  He is not an elite RB and not worth a 1st round draft pick, regardless of where Cleveland drafted him.  People come up with new excuses for why he is not performing everyday ... he doesn't know the playbook, they are stacking the box when he is in, we aren't using him properly, wrong formation, etc .. etc ...

The truth is he is an average RB who we can only hope he gets a little better, because right now he is not as good as Ballard and not even in the same league as Bradshaw.  Many are in denial ...no one wants to admit we made a dumb trade and Cleveland fleeced us.

I regretted it about as soon as I heard what we gave up for him.  He is not an elite RB and not worth a 1st round draft pick, regardless of where Cleveland drafted him.  People come up with new excuses for why he is not performing everyday ... he doesn't know the playbook, they are stacking the box when he is in, we aren't using him properly, wrong formation, etc .. etc ...

The truth is he is an average RB who we can only hope he gets a little better, because right now he is not as good as Ballard and not even in the same league as Bradshaw.  Many are in denial ...no one wants to admit we made a dumb trade and Cleveland fleeced us.

I guess you settled that one . 

Yeah I bet the Colts are shaking in their boots knowing they gave up a very low pick, presumably someone who may or may not have even made an immediate impact NEXT year.

Hence why I'm willing to give Trent the benefit of the doubt this year. It does look ugly so far. I think it's scheme, OL and Trent all being contributing factors. Once he has a good game, I think we will see more consistency from him. It's just getting over that hump IMO.

I guess you settled that one . 

I was agreeing with the article ... be sure and figure out what excuse you want to use when he turns in another mediocre game ... Im waiting for the "since Wayne is out defenses key in on TRICH now" or something similar ... feel free to use that one.

Stopped reading when unnamed brown source described him as not explosive. Dumb.

Look, I am not sold on the trade one way or the other. Not enough of a sample size as a Colt to truly make a determination. Having said that, how is it dumb that someone questions his explosiveness? Where have you seen that from his to this point?

Yeah I bet the Colts are shaking in their boots knowing they gave up a very low pick, presumably someone who may or may not have even made an immediate impact NEXT year.

Hence why I'm willing to give Trent the benefit of the doubt this year. It does look ugly so far. I think it's scheme, OL and Trent all being contributing factors. Once he has a good game, I think we will see more consistency from him. It's just getting over that hump IMO.

Yes everyone is willing to give TRICH the benefit of the doubt (because of what we gave for him)... yet so quick throw so many other players under the bus.

"I have to do a better job of finding ways to get Trent out in space," Hamilton said. "I have to do a better job coming up with schemes that not only give our offensive line a chance to be successful, but of course create holes for Trent and create schemes that compliment his wealth of talent. That's one of the things that we spent time as an offensive staff looking at during the bye week." - Pep Hamilton on ESPN.com

Hopefully Pep really does all of this and shuts everyone up about how bad Trent is doing.

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/1746/oc-pep-hamilton-has-his-hands-full-without-wayne

I am not a fan using a first round pick for a rb, not anymore anyway. However, given that Ballard was hurt and subsequently Bradshaw was put on IR, the Colts needed to make a move at some point. There may have been other options out there, Grigson may have even tried some, I do not know what they would have been or if they were better than Richardson. I do know that Richardson does get met by defenders in the backfield way more than he should. That is probably a result of needing better talent on the interior of the Oline rather than a lack of talent by Richardson. IMO when there is a hole created by the Oline, Richardson hits it and gets good yardage.

I was agreeing with the article ... be sure and figure out what excuse you want to use when he turns in another mediocre game ... Im waiting for the "since Wayne is out defenses key in on TRICH now" or something similar ... feel free to use that one.

Patience is a virtue, we gave up a lower pick for a guy who has kept Andrew up right mutiple times thus far, his superb blocking is almost worth it alone. You really want to see DB blocking for Luck? We gave up a pick who wouldn't even be playing this year, and presumably wouldn't contribute much next year anyways going on the basis on the impact of low first round picks in a historical sense.

You personally don't know anything yet because the jury is still out on the kid. He's young, I'll start worrying next year if the sluggishness continues.

Losing Vic and then Bradshaw....we'd be in trouble without Trich, and people complain! Next years #1 pick, late in the round it appears, wouldn't be able to help us this season any

Having another RB when Bradshaw went down was definitely good ... but, if he is not going to give us more than a RB we could have picked up for free than losing the #1 pick next year does hurt ... so what if its a late round pick, where do you think Wayne was drafted?

Yes everyone is willing to give TRICH the benefit of the doubt (because of what we gave for him)... yet so quick throw so many other players under the bus.

Only players I throw under the bus are Satele and McGlynn.

Sounds like you have a vendetta on Trent because of others views of "throwing other players under the bus."

To each his own, such is life as Luck would say, haha...

Patience is a virtue, we gave up a lower pick for a guy who has kept Andrew up right mutiple times thus far, his superb blocking is almost worth it alone. You really want to see DB blocking for Luck? We gave up a pick who wouldn't even be playing this year, and presumably wouldn't contribute much next year anyways going on the basis on the impact of low first round picks in a historical sense.

You personally don't know anything yet because the jury is still out on the kid. He's young, I'll start worrying next year if the sluggishness continues.

I have not looked at every option that was available in depth both FA and practice squad when the trade was made, but I find it hard to believe we could not find a good blocker, who could give us the mediocre ypc TRICH has provided.

Losing Vic and then Bradshaw....we'd be in trouble without Trich, and people complain! Next years #1 pick, late in the round it appears, wouldn't be able to help us this season anyway.

All of a sudden number one picks don't have much value on this forum. Strange

Only players I throw under the bus are Satele and McGlynn.

Sounds like you have a vendetta on Trent because of others views of "throwing other players under the bus."

To each his own, such is life as Luck would say, haha...

I don't have a vendetta I would complain about TRICH even if no other player was being thrown under the bus ... I just find it funny that many of the same people that will defend TRICH to the bitter end, are pretty quick to dismiss other players ... and no its not Satele or McGlynn I am complaining about I will throw them under the bus, although McGlynn has bought himself a couple of extra seconds with some of his play at center.

I have not looked at every option that was available in depth both FA and practice squad when the trade was made, but I find it hard to believe we could not find a good blocker, who could give us the mediocre ypc TRICH has provided.

Yeah I agree, probably could've found a good blocker that could still at least put up a mere 3.0 ypc and not given up a first rounder.  But the front office must've seen something in the kid.  The guy after all is a physical freak and can block, break massive tackles.  I'm still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and I've always emphasized patience.  I just can't find myself to get down on the kid yet considering he's young, he's only been with the Colts for 5 games.  I'm really not factoring anything he's did with the Browns since he's on a completely different team.  I'll definitely admit I've been a bit disappointed with his running thus far. 

You act as if low pick means "low round" pick. A 1st round pick still makes great impact on the team, especially when you have grigs picking the player ;). I don't mind the Richardson trade but just clarifying that you're underestimating the worth of a 24th-32 pick...

Look, I am not sold on the trade one way or the other. Not enough of a sample size as a Colt to truly make a determination. Having said that, how is it dumb that someone questions his explosiveness? Where have you seen that from his to this point?

I'm not expert but come on. Tackles are constantly flying at him behind the LOS and he is still managing to break through them and pick 1 or 2 yard gains. Not saying that he is playing well.

I think the problem is with his vision and his apparent inability to find a hole, coupled with some inconsistent line play. He clearly has the physical gifts.

Just to clarify, I have soured on the idea that we gave up our first for Trent, and believe we could have got more value with a lesser running back for a lower pick.

You act as if low pick means "low round" pick. A 1st round pick still makes great impact on the team, especially when you have grigs picking the player ;). I don't mind the Richardson trade but just clarifying that you're underestimating the worth of a 24th-32 pick...

Yeah but at the same time it varies, for instance the development time for an OL, ect.  Who knows what the Colts would've used their first on in 2014, I've seen many of low first rounders become trash but yes there have been many have became solid. 

Colts 22 and on first rounders since 2000

Rob Morris

Reggie Wayne

Marlin Jackson

Joseph Addai

Anthony Gonzales

Donald Brown

Jerry Huges

Anthony Castonzo

Bjorne Werner

None really a major contributing factor their first year with the exception of Joseph Addai.  Hence why I'm willing to give Trent the benefit of the doubt for a year. 

I think Richardson has been underutilized.  He is clearly very explosive and nearly impossible to tackle; I want to see him in space.  Give him the ball on screens.  Get the ball in his hands while he is in the open field and watch him do his thing

Kinda hard to do that when he's been dropping one duck after another. Might as well serve him to all of the kiddies at Thanksgiving; TRich is a Turkey.

I don't have a vendetta I would complain about TRICH even if no other player was being thrown under the bus ... I just find it funny that many of the same people that will defend TRICH to the bitter end, are pretty quick to dismiss other players ... and no its not Satele or McGlynn I am complaining about I will throw them under the bus, although McGlynn has bought himself a couple of extra seconds with some of his play at center.

The same people who are writing off Richardson are the same who defended guys like Brown. It's all cyclical lol.

Having another RB when Bradshaw went down was definitely good ... but, if he is not going to give us more than a RB we could have picked up for free than losing the #1 pick next year does hurt ... so what if its a late round pick, where do you think Wayne was drafted?

So now he's gone from an "average back" , which are what the talking heads you mimic are saying to a waiver wire back which is what you get for "free." Please... 

Oh and yes Reggie Wayne was drafted in the late first as was  , Devin MCcourtny , Jahvid Best and Jerry Hughes