Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Now Is The Perfect Time To Utilize T Rich In The Passing Game

presto123

No better time than now with Reggie down. I have been a little disappointed they haven't used him more in this aspect and now is the time. Use him as a safety valve/possession receiver out of the backfield or even split him out. I think getting T Rich in open space will show just how dangerous he can be. 

I really want to see what he can do in the open field. Put him in the slot or even a bit more towards the sidelines and run a couple screens to him. So far, I've been unimpressed with the OL's play on screens, but I really want to see what he can do in space

You wanna see what he can do in the open field?

I guess you didn't watch the Chargers game when he caught that one pass

Sadly, our lineman are not very good at taking 4 steps to make a block on a pull.

Setting up and making good blocks on screens, that seems like a reach. lol

But I am all 4 it.

Thornton pulls like a monster with a tude....he is the only one other than back up Reitz who is truly athletic enough to get out there.  I think he has played hurt the last couple of games...he was looking like a mauler before he hurt himself.

McMolasses is not. :)

Throwing to the backs and encouraging Luck to check it down more often is one way you game plan around the loss of Reggie.  You need to make up for some of the high percentage/easy completions he got with Reggie.  Critical 3rd downs are where Reggie will truly be missed.  Fleener needs to live up to expectations, catch everything that comes his way and become Luck's 3rd down possession guy. 

No better time than now with Reggie down. I have been a little disappointed they haven't used him more in this aspect and now is the time. Use him as a safety valve/possession receiver out of the backfield or even split him out. I think getting T Rich in open space will show just how dangerous he can be. 

Second coming of Lydell Mitchell waiting to happen.

he has been targeted 7 times since coming to the Colts in 5 games. For a running back thats a significant amount......He has 2 receptions out of those 7 targets

significant amount of targets for a RB would be the 80 catches in the 75 season when Lydell Mitchell led the Colts and theAFC with 80 receptions ( to my knowledge they didn't keep targets in those days). That would be how you turn TRich into a ray rice type of weapon.

he has been targeted 7 times since coming to the Colts in 5 games. For a running back thats a significant amount......He has 2 receptions out of those 7 targets

7 targets in 5 games? Please. He should be getting 4 or 5 times that much. 5 a game sounds about right.

Sadly, our lineman are not very good at taking 4 steps to make a block on a pull.

Setting up and making good blocks on screens, that seems like a reach. lol

But I am all 4 it.

Yeah I was wondering why thet don't use more screens and dump offs, probably the OL. Seems like they need him for blocking more than anything.

being targeted 7 times in 5 games is significant?

given all the other weapons we have and that he  is sharing snaps with Brown its not bad but not as much as he was getting in Cleveland obviously but that was probably do to the lack of receiving talent they have outside of Josh Gordon,But it  could and should be more here in Indy. Maybe Pep lost some confidence in his ability to catch the ball or just  wants to use him as a runner, I know he dropped a couple and coaching staff has tended to pull a player for some plays after a bad play   (prior to Reggie going down of course since we dont know how many he will get post reggie)

Not to be down on Trich but, I think he costed us that chargers game , with that key drop on that screen pass , that stalled our drive when we coulda tied it....

Not to be down on Trich but, I think he costed us that chargers game , with that key drop on that screen pass , that stalled our drive when we coulda tied it....

He shoulders no more responsibility than did Reggie for dropping a 3rd down conversion in that same game. Or DHB. Or Hilton. Or Fleener. 

Well all te drop passes and toler

But that screen pass he dropped really really really killed us

No more than that drop by Fleener down the middle which would had out us in the redzone. The entire team looked bad that game. Can't even come close to blaming it on Trent.

I would disagree.

Give T-Rich a hole.  Anyone giving up on him does not see the power and strength this young man runs with.

He is young, energetic, and is still learning the system.  A double dose of power (Richardson) and quick hitters (Brown) as well as bubble screens/dump offs/lining up in the slot///////>>>>>>>>PRICELESS when the plan comes together. :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

The pass to Richardson vs. SD was one of the few highlights that I took away from that game. He ran with a purpose, breaking one tackle after the next. I also remember thinking that the next few times he ran from the backfield after that, he looked better as well. Getting him involved in the passing game would build his confidence and give Luck another guy that can pick up the tough yardage on 3rd downs. Win win. 

are you serious? I have nothing against the guy(even though he hasn't shown a bit of talent yet) but he's not worthy of wearing L.Mitchell's jock strap.

Tongue in cheek, but the main point was that Trent is not going to be a plug and play RB, put him in power sets announce to the D your going to run him and get out of the way. Lydelll passed from a semi disappointment constantly compared to a rampaging Franco to a truly talented workhorse because uncle Ted saw the potential to make him a multipurpose back. If the Colts continue to target him so little the defense will always be ready for him. Reggie's high # of targets are going to be dispersed to a variety of players and Trent needs to be one of the players in the front of that dispersement line. Also it wouldn't hurt if Stanley could suddenly channel Roosevelt Leaks (tongue in cheek yes I know that Stanley couldn't carry R. Leaks jock)

Peace

No more than that drop by Fleener down the middle which would had out us in the redzone. The entire team looked bad that game. Can't even come close to blaming it on Trent.

I'm not blaming him , but the person who caught us using stick um ....jk but that was a game where it was a collective team lost, but trich right now is over thinking etc... He is tight I always said next yr is the yr o judge him not this yr , I like what I see from him , I understand this is not madden plug and play , u have to learn system u have to gel etc... And not like he is running behind and all pro line , but the pass to the running back should be used a lot more to slow down the rush

trichHOF.gif

Clearly throwing to Trent isn't a good idea. [/quotes My thing is when u have a monster like trich and lynch etc... Why not get tem the same game plan like scat backs also get them In space let them go up aiangst corners etc.... I just don't get it trich on a swing pass I doubt a corner could tackle him

I agree. He's dropped a number of throws that he should have had. He doesn't look like the Trent Richardson of last year. Atleast not yet. Hopefully he turns it up a notch soon. He isn't hitting the line of scrimmage hard on runs yet either

The pass to Richardson vs. SD was one of the few highlights that I took away from that game. He ran with a purpose, breaking one tackle after the next. I also remember thinking that the next few times he ran from the backfield after that, he looked better as well. Getting him involved in the passing game would build his confidence and give Luck another guy that can pick up the tough yardage on 3rd downs. Win win.

I blame pep for trich lack of production , pep needs to treat trich like a do everything back and not just a power back , trich comes in let's get the power running plays , no it should be like let me get trich in space out on the edge etc... While still using him to get them tuff yards , more screen passes more swing passes , if the def gets aggressive use the screen pass I mean he did have like 30 something catches last yr , but pep is to blame :P