Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay's post game tweets

chrisfarley

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very well stated!!!  BUT you forgot to mention that he also breached Manning's private statements saying that we need to take Luck and that it's a no brainer.  That's embarrassing as heck to be published for all to see.  Put yourself in Manning's shoes.  Those words should NEVER have been repeated, NEVER !!!!  Manning will never forget but he may forgive.  When we play Denver AT DENVER in the Playoffs, we will have heck to pay, I think we all know it and dread it.  manning will have his day and it will be bittersweet.  Your comments are SPOT ON.  Just wanted to add that additional info.

It is a valid point about leaking private conversations. Again, it is common sense in business, or in other venues , not to do this. I remember the Rob Lowe deal when he announced Peyton's retirement prematurely. I don't ever think it has been proven Irsay said anything to Lowe, but there was speculation this had been a private conversation with an Irsay associate discussing Manning.

Whether it was true or not, the point is being more professional in all of your communications with the press and fans is very important. You don't want distractions like the old Yankees under Steinbrenner. Sure he got some titles, but only because he could outspend other teams 3-1. You can't do that in football .

Very well stated!!!  BUT you forgot to mention that he also breached Manning's private statements saying that we need to take Luck and that it's a no brainer.  That's embarrassing as heck to be published for all to see.  Put yourself in Manning's shoes.  Those words should NEVER have been repeated, NEVER !!!!  Manning will never forget but he may forgive.  When we play Denver AT DENVER in the Playoffs, we will have heck to pay, I think we all know it and dread it.  manning will have his day and it will be bittersweet.  Your comments are SPOT ON.  Just wanted to add that additional info.

I don't get how revealing that Manning stated the obvious was some sort of backstab.

I took a sign to the Game.  Maybe some found mine offensive too..  :dunno:

I have watched Peyton play since his College Days, and I wanted to show my Respect, on a night that many were trying to come to some kind of closure.

I tried hard to come up with something that would be appropriate, yet not offensive to others.  I enlisted the help of a few others on the Forum here to help me with the wording, and I will leave them unmentioned, unless they choose to acknowledge it themselves.  

The SNF Bus crew happened to love it, and were Singing along to the tune, as "they" were snapping many photos.....

This is what we came up with, for those of you that missed it.

Gramz, your brand of evilness must be stopped.

Yes people, that was a joke

Here is my take from an "outsiders" perspective.....

For many years Peyton was the face of the franchise. He did the talking and was very careful in choosing his words. Because of this and his work on the field it was very hard to criticize him or the organization therefore the Colts organization was looked upon in a very classy manner. THEN out with the old in with the new except that Luck is not the new face of the franchise, Irsay has taken over that position from a PR standpoint anyway. I think Irsay does not have the gift of public speaking. He does not accurately express his feelings in a way that most people outside the organization understand. I have no doubt that his words are misinterupted and twisted to serve different agendas but ultimately he brings that upon himself. Being self aware is a really great trait to have and if you know you aren't the greatest public speaker then you should probably try and limit the media interaction to avoid any possible misunderstandings. It comes down to being a double edged sword. Those that don't mind his statements and misunderstandings cannot then complain when the media runs wild with it. When you throw them a bone the media takes your entire lower body. I have seen many different statements on how the media has overlooked the Colts football team and Colts fans are upset about the team not being given credit but when the face of the franchise attacks the media and creates the situation the media isn't going to respond kindly. The media makes up obnoxious story lines to serve their agenda and the entire Colts organization suffers from a PR standpoint. It may not be fair but sometimes reality isn't fair. If Luck was the face of the franchise the public perception would be completely different. He is very careful in choosing his words and has very appropriate answers which makes him very likable and makes people want to root for him. Just like Peyton for all those years. It is hard to NOT root for a guy (team) that is so classy and likeable. Look at the Patriots for instance, is Bill Belichik likable? Tom Brady? Many people think they are not. They are great at what they do but they appear arrogant (even though they aren't) and the organization is immediately hated. Not for good reason I might add but public perception is everything! As most Colts fans know it is very lonely at the top, winning brings less friends and more enemies and public opinion looks to find any reason to hate on successful teams or good players. It is best not to give anyone any reason. Do you think Peyton wants to answer questions so appropriately? Do you think his answers are his true feelings? NO WAY! He learned to play the PR game. Is he a classy nice guy, ABSOLUTELY! He learned, just as many before him that public opinion is everything. Those that support Irsay's right to speak how he wants have to take the bad with the good. He is going to be misunderstood and public perception is going to not be favorable. I personally would rather Luck be the face of the franchise, I think he is more easy to market and more can relate to him, thus giving a classier image to the entire organization. I also feel that Irsay is a great owner and very misunderstood but he does not do himself ANY favors. Tweeting at 3am or whatever is not going to attrack good publicity or classy reputations. Right or wrong it is what it is. No one should judge but unfortunately this world is full of judgmental people.

Here is my take from an "outsiders" perspective.....For many years Peyton was the face of the franchise. He did the talking and was very careful in choosing his words. Because of this and his work on the field it was very hard to criticize him or the organization therefore the Colts organization was looked upon in a very classy manner. THEN out with the old in with the new except that Luck is not the new face of the franchise, Irsay has taken over that position from a PR standpoint anyway. I think Irsay does not have the gift of public speaking. He does not accurately express his feelings in a way that most people outside the organization understand. I have no doubt that his words are misinterupted and twisted to serve different agendas but ultimately he brings that upon himself. Being self aware is a really great trait to have and if you know you aren't the greatest public speaker then you should probably try and limit the media interaction to avoid any possible misunderstandings. It comes down to being a double edged sword. Those that don't mind his statements and misunderstandings cannot then complain when the media runs wild with it. When you throw them a bone the media takes your entire lower body. I have seen many different statements on how the media has overlooked the Colts football team and Colts fans are upset about the team not being given credit but when the face of the franchise attacks the media and creates the situation the media isn't going to respond kindly. The media makes up obnoxious story lines to serve their agenda and the entire Colts organization suffers from a PR standpoint. It may not be fair but sometimes reality isn't fair. If Luck was the face of the franchise the public perception would be completely different. He is very careful in choosing his words and has very appropriate answers which makes him very likable and makes people want to root for him. Just like Peyton for all those years. It is hard to NOT root for a guy (team) that is so classy and likeable. Look at the Patriots for instance, is Bill Belichik likable? Tom Brady? Many people think they are not. They are great at what they do but they appear arrogant (even though they aren't) and the organization is immediately hated. Not for good reason I might add but public perception is everything! As most Colts fans know it is very lonely at the top, winning brings less friends and more enemies and public opinion looks to find any reason to hate on successful teams or good players. It is best not to give anyone any reason. Do you think Peyton wants to answer questions so appropriately? Do you think his answers are his true feelings? NO WAY! He learned to play the PR game. Is he a classy nice guy, ABSOLUTELY! He learned, just as many before him that public opinion is everything. Those that support Irsay's right to speak how he wants have to take the bad with the good. He is going to be misunderstood and public perception is going to not be favorable. I personally would rather Luck be the face of the franchise, I think he is more easy to market and more can relate to him, thus giving a classier image to the entire organization. I also feel that Irsay is a great owner and very misunderstood but he does not do himself ANY favors. Tweeting at 3am or whatever is not going to attrack good publicity or classy reputations. Right or wrong it is what it is. No one should judge but unfortunately this world is full of judgmental people.

Not to be a jerk, but you gotta use paragraphs....hard on the eyes.

I really am flabbergasted by the turmoil some teenager gimmick (twitter) can cause grown men/women. I find it rather pitiful. It's really not worth the space it gets. I'd rather re-watch the game for the 2nd time, which I'm doing now (between looks on here).

I know, I'm an old fuddy duddy......

For many years Peyton was the face of the franchise. He did the talking and was very careful in choosing his words. Because of this and his work on the field it was very hard to criticize him or the organization therefore the Colts organization was looked upon in a very classy manner. THEN out with the old in with the new except that Luck is not the new face of the franchise, Irsay has taken over that position from a PR standpoint anyway. I think Irsay does not have the gift of public speaking. He does not accurately express his feelings in a way that most people outside the organization understand. I have no doubt that his words are misinterupted and twisted to serve different agendas but ultimately he brings that upon himself. Being self aware is a really great trait to have and if you know you aren't the greatest public speaker then you should probably try and limit the media interaction to avoid any possible misunderstandings. It comes down to being a double edged sword. Those that don't mind his statements and misunderstandings cannot then complain when the media runs wild with it. When you throw them a bone the media takes your entire lower body. I have seen many different statements on how the media has overlooked the Colts football team and Colts fans are upset about the team not being given credit but when the face of the franchise attacks the media and creates the situation the media isn't going to respond kindly. The media makes up obnoxious story lines to serve their agenda and the entire Colts organization suffers from a PR standpoint. It may not be fair but sometimes reality isn't fair. If Luck was the face of the franchise the public perception would be completely different. He is very careful in choosing his words and has very appropriate answers which makes him very likable and makes people want to root for him. Just like Peyton for all those years. It is hard to NOT root for a guy (team) that is so classy and likeable. Look at the Patriots for instance, is Bill Belichik likable? Tom Brady? Many people think they are not. They are great at what they do but they appear arrogant (even though they aren't) and the organization is immediately hated. Not for good reason I might add but public perception is everything! As most Colts fans know it is very lonely at the top, winning brings less friends and more enemies and public opinion looks to find any reason to hate on successful teams or good players. It is best not to give anyone any reason. Do you think Peyton wants to answer questions so appropriately? Do you think his answers are his true feelings? NO WAY! He learned to play the PR game. Is he a classy nice guy, ABSOLUTELY! He learned, just as many before him that public opinion is everything. Those that support Irsay's right to speak how he wants have to take the bad with the good. He is going to be misunderstood and public perception is going to not be favorable. I personally would rather Luck be the face of the franchise, I think he is more easy to market and more can relate to him, thus giving a classier image to the entire organization. I also feel that Irsay is a great owner and very misunderstood but he does not do himself ANY favors. Tweeting at 3am or whatever is not going to attrack good publicity or classy reputations. Right or wrong it is what it is. No one should judge but unfortunately this world is full of judgmental people.

Very good post.  :thmup:

I really am flabbergasted by the turmoil some teenager gimmick (twitter) can cause grown men/women. I find it rather pitiful. It's really not worth the space it gets. I'd rather re-watch the game for the 2nd time, which I'm doing now (between looks on here).

You may be an old fuddy duddy but after reading about your trip to the game I'm not sure I could have kept up with you.  haha  Sounded like you had a great time.  :thmup:

Here is my take from an "outsiders" perspective.....For many years Peyton was the face of the franchise. He did the talking and was very careful in choosing his words. Because of this and his work on the field it was very hard to criticize him or the organization therefore the Colts organization was looked upon in a very classy manner. THEN out with the old in with the new except that Luck is not the new face of the franchise, Irsay has taken over that position from a PR standpoint anyway. I think Irsay does not have the gift of public speaking. He does not accurately express his feelings in a way that most people outside the organization understand. I have no doubt that his words are misinterupted and twisted to serve different agendas but ultimately he brings that upon himself. Being self aware is a really great trait to have and if you know you aren't the greatest public speaker then you should probably try and limit the media interaction to avoid any possible misunderstandings. It comes down to being a double edged sword. Those that don't mind his statements and misunderstandings cannot then complain when the media runs wild with it. When you throw them a bone the media takes your entire lower body. I have seen many different statements on how the media has overlooked the Colts football team and Colts fans are upset about the team not being given credit but when the face of the franchise attacks the media and creates the situation the media isn't going to respond kindly. The media makes up obnoxious story lines to serve their agenda and the entire Colts organization suffers from a PR standpoint. It may not be fair but sometimes reality isn't fair. If Luck was the face of the franchise the public perception would be completely different. He is very careful in choosing his words and has very appropriate answers which makes him very likable and makes people want to root for him. Just like Peyton for all those years. It is hard to NOT root for a guy (team) that is so classy and likeable. Look at the Patriots for instance, is Bill Belichik likable? Tom Brady? Many people think they are not. They are great at what they do but they appear arrogant (even though they aren't) and the organization is immediately hated. Not for good reason I might add but public perception is everything! As most Colts fans know it is very lonely at the top, winning brings less friends and more enemies and public opinion looks to find any reason to hate on successful teams or good players. It is best not to give anyone any reason. Do you think Peyton wants to answer questions so appropriately? Do you think his answers are his true feelings? NO WAY! He learned to play the PR game. Is he a classy nice guy, ABSOLUTELY! He learned, just as many before him that public opinion is everything. Those that support Irsay's right to speak how he wants have to take the bad with the good. He is going to be misunderstood and public perception is going to not be favorable. I personally would rather Luck be the face of the franchise, I think he is more easy to market and more can relate to him, thus giving a classier image to the entire organization. I also feel that Irsay is a great owner and very misunderstood but he does not do himself ANY favors. Tweeting at 3am or whatever is not going to attrack good publicity or classy reputations. Right or wrong it is what it is. No one should judge but unfortunately this world is full of judgmental people.

Right on target. He could learn a few things from Luck and Manning.

Was just listening to Mike and Mike, they said that Irsay was tweeting up as late as 5am. They read them and I agree, he just needs to go to bed. They said he was classless again, misspelling words, using profanity, etc. Mike Greeberg finally said, "Money can buy you a lot of things, make no mistake, but one thing it cannot buy is class". WOW, they were slamming him outright. What is Irsay's deal????? Getting tired of him.

Every colts fan knows that his interview was taken out of context to hype up the matchup. If anything it was the medias mistake for doing that and underestimating the colts. What was the result of his interview? A win...

The media just likes making a big deal about everything. Plus he is one of the few sports owners who tweets

look who's the hater, i don't hate anyone. Irsay is the one who has spread malcontent and has anguished one of the greatest of all time.  Irsay just continues his Victory Lap of pointed tweets.

Oh my gosh! Irsay only spread malcontent in your mind, a few others and the minds of the intellectually lazy sports media. I travel for my job and the only people that thought Irsay was insulting Manning were those that did not bother to read the article by Bell. Those that did realized that Irsay was not slammin Manning. As far as the post game tweets, he had every right to tell those haters to stick it. The majority of the blame for this media storm lies with the media, not with Irsay.

I took a sign to the Game.  Maybe some found mine offensive too..   :dunno:

I have watched Peyton play since his College Days, and I wanted to show my Respect, on a night that many were trying to come to some kind of closure.

I tried hard to come up with something that would be appropriate, yet not offensive to others.  I enlisted the help of a few others on the Forum here to help me with the wording, and I will leave them unmentioned, unless they choose to acknowledge it themselves.  

The SNF Bus crew happened to love it, and were Singing along to the tune, as "they" were snapping many photos.....

Gramz, SW1 loved your sign because it was poetic, clever, & a great spin on an all time favorite Police/Sting song. Very Nice!  :thmup:

If anyone took offense to that sign that need a CAT scan ASAP. 

You're not a "fuddy duddy" at all BHC; You're 1 of the coolest cats I know. Plus, you always make me haha

If you can make me think or LOL, SW1 will always defend & follow you. Humor & intellect is what I usually notice 1st in my friends & people I keep a close eye on. 

Gramz, your brand of evilness must be stopped.

Yes people, that was a joke

Gramz  evil? No, that's like trying to picture Fred Rogers from the PBS children's TV show "Mr. Rogers Neighborhood" as a thug, enforcer, & violent loan shark. Gramz is too kind & sweet to be vicious & mean IMO. 

Yes, I know BOTT was only kidding.  :D

You articulate your position quite well ManningFaninFL. I don't subscribe to every line verbatim, but I do respect individuals who frame their argument exceptionally well. Bravo!   :hat:

sigh

crow, my point is that I feel about our owner the way coach does and our fans feel about manning the way the tribute indicated

I'm not at all clear on how people are angry about anything that I've said so I'm bowing out of this thread

Nadine, I didn't personally see any offensive signs at the Game (and I'm glad I didn't).   All the signs I did see,  seemed to be directed at Peyton in a positive Way,  and since I didn't see any Offensive ones,  I was unclear what you were referring to.    I mistakingly thought you meant it was Not representing  Colts Nation to have so many Peyton signs there.   My misunderstanding.    Here, I'll smack myself   :trout:     ;)

I don't get how revealing that Manning stated the obvious was some sort of backstab.

then you don't "get" Peyton Manning, no disrespect intended.  Just think how he would feel and put your bias aside, not saying you are totally bias but we all are to some degree and you can tell by his reaction to the whole thing as to how he felt about it when asked and just the response from others who know him.  He loves his Indy fans including you but just realize what he has been through, he did not need that...it was hard enough on him just to get through this past week.  It's water under the bridge now but I do feel for him in many ways.

Oh my gosh! Irsay only spread malcontent in your mind, a few others and the minds of the intellectually lazy sports media. I travel for my job and the only people that thought Irsay was insulting Manning were those that did not bother to read the article by Bell. Those that did realized that Irsay was not slammin Manning. As far as the post game tweets, he had every right to tell those haters to stick it. The majority of the blame for this media storm lies with the media, not with Irsay.

omg, you think i didn't read the article by Bell, really?  I get where he was truly coming from with certain comments but he broke the trust of Manning pure and simple with his other comments as well.  It's better left unsaid and i'm sure you get that but you are just wanting to come to the aid of the owner because of you being a die-hard Colts fan (probably) and maybe you are not, but really?  if you are that shallow to NOT think that it affected Manning in a negative way, then fine, you can exist in that world, but it's not reality.  And I'm not trying to be harsh with my reaction to this whole thing or to your comments (because I respect your comments), just trying to be reasonable.

No I meant it didn't make sense. lmao

Really? You think that analogy was so complex that I just couldn't grasp the subtle nuances of your genius? Get over yourself lol.

There is no comparison between yelling "Fire!" In a movie theater, and taking on twitter.

The analogy demonstrated the moral of the story - there's a time and a place to run your mouth and if you don't think before you speak there may be unintended consequences - if that's beyond your comprehension; I reckon you are correct - you couldn't grasp the genius!   (Course I reckon I'm playing naughty now so I apologize to you - I didn't mean to come across offensive.)

omg, you think i didn't read the article by Bell, really?  I get where he was truly coming from with certain comments but he broke the trust of Manning pure and simple with his other comments as well.  It's better left unsaid and i'm sure you get that but you are just wanting to come to the aid of the owner because of you being a die-hard Colts fan (probably) and maybe you are not, but really?  if you are that shallow to NOT think that it affected Manning in a negative way, then fine, you can exist in that world, but it's not reality.  And I'm not trying to be harsh with my reaction to this whole thing or to your comments (because I respect your comments), just trying to be reasonable.

I am not backing Irsay because I am a fan of the Colts, there were times back at the Indy suberbowl that I thought Irsay was wrong with what he had said. I am backing Irsay this specific time because he did nothing wrong. I, unlike you, realize he did nothing wrong and I place the blame for for all the misperceptions where it belongs and thats not with Irsay. If Manning did not know where Irsay was coming from, then that is on Manning not Irsay. Maybe he should have taken the time to read the article, because as I said it was pretty clear to anyone that read it, and possessed reading comprehension skills, who Irsay was criticizing.

The analogy demonstrated the moral of the story - there's a time and a place to run your mouth and if you don't think before you speak there may be unintended consequences - if that's beyond your comprehension; I reckon you are correct - you couldn't grasp the genius! (Course I reckon I'm playing naughty now so I apologize to you - I didn't mean to come across offensive.)

Again, and likely for the last time, as you continue to insist yelling fire, and tweeting are comparable, it's not even remotely the same thing. It's a bad analogy lol. Not my fault.

If you yell fire when there is no fire, your purposefully lying and committing a crime. Consequences won't be unintentional they will be purposefully and direct. The only time and place is if there is a fire. That's the only appropriate circumstance.

Tweeting on the other hand is a personal choice to share your thoughts and feelings over a medium. The time and place is whenever he decides. Not you. Not me. Just Jim.

The only unintended consequence I see is how many people complain about him Tweeting. That I'm sure Jim couldn't foresee.

But he won't lose his job. He won't be arrested. And apparently making "Peyton mad" isn't as scary as I thought.

Understand your point. Bad analogy. Sorry friend.

Fantastic Gramz! I love it

I agree with you.  And the thing is, I don't mind Irsay not being a great public speaker.  I like that he shoots from the hip and is real.  And while you say that, if that's how you feel, then you shouldn't mind when his words are taken out of context and the media runs with it, to some extent I agree.  I don't mind defending him and I certainly won't do it while complaining.  But I do think that the media's agenda should at least come with a degree of responsibility.  And some guys do, but others just want to sell the story. 

So while I prefer Irsay, or any player/coach/executive/owner to be genuine, the only thing I take away from the media is the quotes.  Everything in between is telling what the general public to think.  Given that it's the media's job to sell a story, I question their interest and motives behind any story, including this one.  There are a very few select guys that when they report a story and put in their two cents that I find credible.  But blasting Irsay without at least acknowledging the other side of the coin is garbage stories and not really worth taking seriously.

Honestly in the past, Jim Irsay has not been whatsoever in the minds of the national media. Except for Manning being there , Indy is a small market team like many others ,that ESPN , and the other media outlets generally ignore. For the most part, they ignored Irsay except for some of his comments when the Baltimore game came up. Because he has been a successful, hands off owner until recently , he has been treated very well by the media. In the past, I've seen no media agenda against Irsay.

Basically , Peyton Manning is a beloved figure around the NFL universally , so outside of Indy, evened perceived slights , intentional or not, construed as criticism of Manning, would bring down media scrutiny . He's probably not the greatest public speaker , so why wouldn't you just send out a prepared statement the week before the game, and keep it cool ? There was no media conspiracy here.

Let's face facts, the bottom line appears to be that Jim wants more attention. You can tweet, give interviews , etc , but at that point you're fair game. He won the game this time, but the bragging and I told you so tweets could come back and bite him next time , in another game. An owner should try to keep all the focus and preparation on his coaches, team , and the game coming up. You don't need to create a media circus around things.

Let's just say he was misunderstood in the initial interview. At the end of the game you're going to use a profanity in describing the media ? That doesn't sound like an owner that wants to calm things down , but wants a war with the media. He won round one, and can brag he got the best of all the rotten media types, but they'll be coming back for him and stoking up the pressure. That is why it's best to avoid a war with the press.

Don't cherry pick where I said fans, and FOLLOWERS lol.

If you think none of his followers wanted to see his reaction or response to the media after we won, I don't know what to tell you. That was for the fans who stuck up for him, and those who recognized the media twisted his words.

But as a fan and a follower of his, I was hyped to see him stand up for himself after the week he endured.

Irsay bit his lip after Way to Many one & Dones by HIS QB. That many one and dones earned Manning the often used label as maybe the best regular season QB ever. There was nothing new in last weeks comments. Just a bunch of talking heads that never brought up that point of his comment.

I did hear one Man before the game, Donovan McNabb, speak to the defense & running game dominating the Colts SB Win.

Of COURSE Manning got the MVP. A shame IMO.

I thought the Colts had a good chance to win at home , and they did. Luck is a great young quarterback , and played great. However, the contrast between how Manning carried himself before and after the game , and how Irsay did, couldn't be more stark. One was classy all through an emotional week, while the other was making controversial comments, and then continuing to depict himself as a victim. It was a great win, combined with good wins over SF and Seattle, but it is only a regular season win. The hard part is winning in the playoffs. It's not the smartest thing to start a war with the media, but that's apparently what he wants. I've seen this happen before in the late 70's and early 80's, and it never ends up pretty.

He is telling others they are unhappy and jealous, yet he was the one that brought up frustration , and perhaps jealousy , in only winning one Super Bowl while other teams had won two. Keep going down the Jerry Jones Highway , you're halfway there.

I must admit i doidnt read 5 pages of this , just got artiocle via e-mail, and added it as is on post locker room  & tweets given only slght notice

it wasnt the tweets the brought ire to so called anlysts, its the post gamer locker chatter  constantly repeating if u want to wear a horseshoe on helmet u must want 2 of these, rings

Post game locker room

Following the Colts' 39-33 win over the Broncos, owner Jim Irsay tells his team, 'Anyone who doesn't want more than one of these shouldn't wear a horseshoe because that's what it's about.'

To play for Colts you have to want more than 1 Super Bowl

Inside the NFL panel questioned the owner's decision to kick that dead horse one last time.

Dan Marino: "My opinion, no (Irsay shouldn't have made the postgame comments). There is no reason for that. I mean, they won the ballgame. As an owner, you have to feel pretty darn lucky to have Peyton Manning for 14 years and win a ring. There are a lot of guys who have played in the NFL and have been great players including me, I feel like I was a good player, and I don't have a ring. So I don't think you go there at all."

Cris Collinsworth: "You know, why go back? I mean go back in the locker room when they turn off the cameras and go, 'Like I said guys, I love Peyton Manning but it's about the ring!' You know, and use it to fire them up. But I wouldn't do it on camera, no."

Phil Simms: "Let it go. Never say the word. Don't talk about Super Bowl rings. Don't bring up Peyton's name, the other quarterback. Let it go."

In case you're just back from Mars and missed the backstory, here's the short version: In the days leading up to the Peyton Returns to Indy! Bowl, Irsay made some questionable comments about Manning, and in the process insinuated that former coach Tony Dungy and team president Bill Polian failed to live up to expectations.

That led to a whole thing, one Manning steered clear of, while everyone else took up his cause. Former Colts coach Tony Dungy even suggested that Irsay was trying to provoke Manning, a theory we shot down because, as we wrote Sunday morning, "This is like Irsay trying to distract a bear by poking it with a branding iron. Instead of confusing the bear, Irsay instead made the bear lose its mind and is promptly the victim of a vicious attack -- at his own doing."

By Monday morning, Irsay was enjoying some some post-victory Tweetenfraude.

Through seven weeks there's no denying that the Colts are one of the best teams in the NFL. .

I do pray for you unhappy, EXPLICIT WORD ( see link ) -slingers...who wants to live on a planet with those who don't like themselves..we want happy,kind people:)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24128708/jim-irsay-to-play-for-colts-you-have-to-want-more-than-1-super-bowl

Irsay would save himself a whole lot of trouble if he would just close his twitter account. ;)

ran out of likes

sometimes i like them buit sometimes he should know when to count a victory & stop

no more likes, well written piece , thanks

Wow you must have a better HD TV than I have because I didn't see any signs that were disrespectful at all. :)  The ones I saw were just paying tribute to Peyton which I thought was nice since Mr Irsay did that before the game also.

if they panned to bad signs i also didnt see it

I mean Peyton we love u and Mathis sack him gently dont hurt him speaks volumes,,thats what i saw and many others of = tribute

Fans were great and Peyton was touched, loved when he pointed to his heart pregame and out to all the fans yelling for him and thanking him

Excellent sign, , just no more likes

Guest TeamLoloJones

The reality is Irsay is making the Colts are very unlikeable team which is a shame as Pagano, Luck, etc are great for the game  and say and do the right things but it only takes one blow hard owner to ruin it all.

No offense or anything, but I don't think Irsay could say anything that would make the Colts a less likeable team than the Pats.  You guys are the epitome of a love/hate team.

No offense or anything, but I don't think Irsay could say anything that would make the Colts a less likeable team than the Pats.  You guys are the epitome of a love/hate team.

Sure, winning always makes people hate you. Comes with the territory. But when the Pats went on their 3 SB run they were one of the most beloved stories nationally. They carried themselves as a unified group with Kraft touting team accomplishments over individual ones. Over time they became more hated because they kept winning and spygate of course, etc... 

I think the difference here is Irsay is becoming a caricature separate from the team. It is almost like he is off in is own little twitter world oblivious to how his actions/words effect the overall perception of the team and the city. And like I said, the Colts outside of him are very likeable but it is hard to get past him.

No offense or anything, but I don't think Irsay could say anything that would make the Colts a less likeable team than the Pats. You guys are the epitome of a love/hate team.

Most Pats fans. Good people. Totally oblivious to the perception of their team around the NFL.