Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay's post game tweets

chrisfarley

Let's also remember....for almost Peyton Manning's entire career, Jimmy Irsay DID "stay classy"....remaining nearly silent and in the background with Polian, Dungy and Manning up front....and the media STILL took more than their fair share of pot shots, with Peyton often being the main target.

One could say these self-absorbed media prostitutes aren't worth the trouble of responding to like Jimmy has....but I say screw them....most of them make a living selling their ad time or ad space with no regard whatsoever for whoever gets embarrassed or humiliated in the process.

They're locusts....and they'll move on to their next target after they've milked a story dry....or created a narrative that was proven to be just flat wrong.

It's good for laughs when the rotten, stinking egg is dripping off their faces.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really need to stop caring about what Jim Irsay's tweets say. Why? Because they normally end up disappointing me or making me shake my head. Does he have a right to say whatever he wants? Sure. Do I cringe at a lot of the stuff he says? Yes. Will Jim keep saying whatever he wants? Probably. 

SW1 just needs to bypass these tweets completely from now on permanently. 

This.

Blows my mind how people this they should have an online place to speak their mind, but he shouldn't.

Because we're anonymous and Irsay is a figurehead billionaire owner of an NFL franchise? 

You do see the clear difference here, right? 

Thank for properly encapsulating my frustration over Mr. Irsay's tweets ruksak. Bingo! An owner's interaction with fans is 1 thing; this is a whole different dimension of anti-decorum. Smart businessmen don't appear to get engrossed in petty matters that serve no other purpose but individual, self significance & a lone spotlight for an entire NFL franchise. 

SW1 will take heat for this stance, but I don't care. That's why I respect FX, ruksak, & MAC. They speak their mind & never hide from the impeding fallout. If I think something needs to be said, I say it regardless of the consequences...not out of anger, malice, or my own ego...Simply, standing by my convictions.

The one thing I do like about Irsay's unusual communications. He doesn't care what the media thinks, he speaks to the fans, and that's where his message gets lost. The media doesn't like being snubbed. They certainly don't like public figures who buck convention and do their own thing. Which perhaps explains the false narrative being spread about Irsay being out of control, mad, a loose cannon about to go off etc. 

The only reason I don't like his Tweets.....fans across the league only know what to think when the media tells them what to think, which can reflect badly on our team. Generally, I'm torn over this issue. On one hand, I get it, his goofball antics amuse me greatly. To the point where I wish I could win a 'smoke-out with Jim' contest. I'm serious, dude would be a gas to burn with. 

But....public perception is important too, I suppose. Frankly, most people can't handle Jim's awkwardness. 

The one thing I do like about Irsay's unusual communications. He doesn't care what the media thinks, he speaks to the fans, and that's where his message gets lost. The media doesn't like being snubbed. They certainly don't like public figures who buck convention and do their own thing. Which perhaps explains the false narrative being spread about Irsay being out of control, mad, a loose cannon about to go off etc. 

The only reason I don't like his Tweets.....fans across the league only know what to think when the media tells them what to think, which can reflect badly on our team. Generally, I'm torn over this issue. On one hand, I get it, his goofball antics amuse me greatly. To the point where I wish I could win a 'smoke-out with Jim' contest. I'm serious, dude would be a gas to burn with. 

But....public perception is important too, I suppose. Frankly, most people can't handle Jim's awkwardness. 

Jim doesn't really care about kissing the media's backside much that is true. I don't expect Jim to disappear off of social media completely. Just pick & choose your colorful rants more discretely or make sure you have something substancial to say 1st. It's like status updates on here. Some people treat it like throwing paint on a wall; while others post nothing for days or weeks until they have something intriguing to say that really provokes you & makes you think. All my best blogger pals either have a way with words or look at conventional crap in a whole new way.   

I think Jim forgets he's an owner sometimes & that can lead to crazy circumstances that a wealthy businessman shouldn't put himself in. Awkwardness is okay, but you have to know when to shut it off or tone it down. I don't know Jim personally, but he strikes me as a person craving fame & recognition he never received earlier in life & he's trying to make up for lost time. Just a dime store psychology theory that has no validation on my part.

Marketing your franchise is a necessity in this league & there is something to be said for greater exposure which leads to lucrative alliances with products & endorsement deals that allows more money to come in to your organization to land better players in an attempt to win banners & Lombardi trophies faster. I get that. You just need to create an atmosphere of stability from the top down. 

Jim Irsay is a smart owner who needs to remember the more he gloats about INDY's success; the more attention he places squarely on all coaches, trainers, & players inside LOS. Jim doesn't wear a uniform, learn a playbook, or score TDs on the field players do. Too much hype & any struggles winning games down the stretch can result in frustration, shaken chemistry, & a locker room that doesn't have their teammates back. Remember when Rex Ryan's Jet's kept bragging about their SB runs & then started losing? That team fractured quickly & started to turn on each other. Jim can demand a positive return on his investment, but his ego can't write checks his team may not always be able to cash. Be careful Jim...

I don't get your problem with this. The media brought it on themselves and it bit them in the ***. Irsay gave it right back to them and he deserved to do so. Please don't give me the classy crap either, it wasn't classy for the media to twist Irsay's words and it's not classy for them to give him so much crap all the time because of his dad's mistakes or his past personal problems. Irsay gives everything he can back to the team and the fans and as far as I'm concerned, he's one of the best owners in football.

It absolutely was classless for them to do those things, but when Irsay retaliates by doing exactly the same thing then how does that make him any different? He's just dragging himself down to their level.

He's a great owner, no doubt. I just have more respect for people that can show dignity and restraint in these situations. 

It absolutely was classless for them to do those things, but when Irsay retaliates by doing exactly the same thing then how does that make him any different? He's just dragging himself down to their level.

He's a great owner, no doubt. I just have more respect for people that can show dignity and restraint in these situations. 

He used twitter to take a "victory lap" after the game which just drums up more ire from media and fans. I agree with the Colts PR Staff, he needs his "twitter pen" drained of ink.

That analogy makes no sense lol.

You mean you just didn't understand it ... maybe this will re-emphasis the point.

Just pick & choose your colorful rants more discretely ...

I think Jim forgets he's an owner sometimes & that can lead to crazy circumstances that a wealthy businessman shouldn't put himself in.

Exactly - a time and a place for it ; either he just doesn't care or his rush is aided by something else!

You mean you just didn't understand it ... maybe this will re-emphasis the point.

Exactly - a time and a place for it ; either he just doesn't care or his rush is aided by something else!

No I meant it didn't make sense. lmao

Really? You think that analogy was so complex that I just couldn't grasp the subtle nuances of your genius? Get over yourself lol.

There is no comparison between yelling "Fire!" In a movie theater, and taking on twitter.

On twitter the time and place is whenever he choses. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean there are consequences. Because I don't see many coming his way.

Oh people on the Internet is mad at him? I'm confident he cares 0%

Oh he made Peyton mad, and now he's going to crush the Colts? How'd that work out?

He doesn't care. He speaks his mind over the Internet just like you. Just like me. If you don't like it. Tough. Because Irsay has shown he doesn't care. More power to him.

No I meant it didn't make sense. lmao

Really? You think that analogy was so complex that I just couldn't grasp the subtle nuances of your genius? Get over yourself lol.

There is no comparison between yelling "Fire!" In a movie theater, and taking on twitter.

On twitter the time and place is whenever he choses. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean there are consequences. Because I don't see many coming his way.

Oh people on the Internet is mad at him? I'm confident he cares 0%

Oh he made Peyton mad, and now he's going to crush the Colts? How'd that work out?

He doesn't care. He speaks his mind over the Internet just like you. Just like me. If you don't like it. Tough. Because Irsay has shown he doesn't care. More power to him.

I think Irsay does care, and seems to respond to some of the tweets from fans either complimenting him ,or criticizing him. You know how I feel about all of this, but I will say it was a highly entertaining week. From an outsider fans perspective, there was a great build up to the game with all the crazy stuff going on, and the game was great and highly entertaining. I guess from Irsay's perspective, people are talking Indianapolis football , which is good for the team, jersey sales, and other revenue. I'm sure they sold a lot of Manning and Luck jerseys this week. It is highly likely that these two teams will meet again in the playoffs. It should be more fun the second time around. The key for all of these playoff bound teams in to get the home field advantage. The other is to get as injury free as possible, and go on a roll. Should be fun.

I think Irsay does care, and seems to respond to some of the tweets from fans either complimenting him ,or criticizing him. You know how I feel about all of this, but I will say it was a highly entertaining week. From an outsider fans perspective, there was a great build up to the game with all the crazy stuff going on, and the game was great and highly entertaining. I guess from Irsay's perspective, people are talking Indianapolis football , which is good for the team, jersey sales, and other revenue. I'm sure they sold a lot of Manning and Luck jerseys this week. It is highly likely that these two teams will meet again in the playoffs. It should be more fun the second time around. The key for all of these playoff bound teams in to get the home field advantage. The other is to get as injury free as possible, and go on a roll. Should be fun.

He doesn't care that people want him to stop.

Because he's still going.

I just want to point out that there were many people (and a few here) who felt that the Colts planned tribute to Peyton Manning was ill advised.  I tried to point out that, that's how we roll in Indy.  And I was so pleased that the video tribute was televised (I don't think a tribute ever has been)

And I think universally, EVERYONE who saw it, understood how Colts fans feel about Peyton manning:  http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Broncos-vs-Colts-Peyton-Manning-Tribute-Video/12f73718-2795-4eb7-9098-9b741891419d

All judgements about our intent were withdrawn I think once they saw how we roll here.

Some people in the stands during this game.........carried signs that made me cringe.  In my opinion..........those were ill advised and not representative of Colts Nation at all

And re Jim Irsay and his tweets........no one who hates them will ever do anything but hate them.  I do want to say though that Coach Pagano expressed how most of us feel

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Pagano-Postgame-Speech-Broncos-vs-Colts/2f777e60-6179-4c84-808b-8278ecec7403

Some people in the stands during this game.........carried signs that made me cringe.  In my opinion..........those were ill advised and not representative of Colts Nation at all

What signs..??  I know the majority of the signs I saw, were for Peyton, so I think that must be what you're referring to, however,  I think that Mr. Irsay Publicly stating that he thought it was appropriate to pay tribute to Peyton, opened the door for many fans to show their own personal appreciation,  don't you..??

What signs..??  I know the majority of the signs I saw, were for Peyton, so I think that must be what you're referring to, however,  I think that Mr. Irsay Publicly stating that he thought it was appropriate to pay tribute to Peyton, opened the door for many fans to show their own personal appreciation,  don't you..??

I saw some that were not nice.  That's what I mean

I just want to point out that there were many people (and a few here) who felt that the Colts planned tribute to Peyton Manning was ill advised.  I tried to point out that, that's how we roll in Indy.  And I was so pleased that the video tribute was televised (I don't think a tribute ever has been)

And I think universally, EVERYONE who saw it, understood how Colts fans feel about Peyton manning:  http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Broncos-vs-Colts-Peyton-Manning-Tribute-Video/12f73718-2795-4eb7-9098-9b741891419d

All judgements about our intent were withdrawn I think once they saw how we roll here.

And re Jim Irsay and his tweets........no one who hates them will ever do anything but hate them.  I do want to say though that Coach Pagano expressed how most of us feel

http://www.colts.com/videos/videos/Pagano-Postgame-Speech-Broncos-vs-Colts/2f777e60-6179-4c84-808b-8278ecec7403

I haven't changed my mind one bit on the tribute or the tweets. Most of you guys say what Irsay tweeted was the truth about Polian and Manning , and that they should have won more titles and had to change the philosophy. It's probably true, but you guys have been denying this over and over when Patriots fans have come on and said it was all about the rings. You have been the guys pointing out how it should be defined by division titles , regular season records , and the like.

Now, I have no problem with Irsay analyzing the past, and saying he's gone to a more balanced philosophy. Setting that tone and getting the right GM is a responsibility of the owner. But honestly, don't you think by bringing this up this week wouldn't have cut Manning to the core ? Leave the media out of it and how they feel, don't you think Peyton might not be upset by the comments, especially when you've planned a tribute for him ? Sure he clarified it by saying they didn't put enough around him, but you know Manning as a competitor took all those playoff losses hard, and put a lot of blame on himself. The time for those comments were in the beginning of the season , not a couple weeks, or being published days before the guy your honoring is coming back to town.

Irsay, being the zen sort of guy he is, should be more happy about the Polian years, 2 SB appearances, and one title. He's told us in Baltimore for years about the power of forgiveness when the Colts come to town, but he can't forgive Polian for not giving him a second title ? He's frustrated that Pittsburgh and Baltimore have two, and NE has three ? That is the jealousy thing he hammered others on his twitter account.

Better comments would have been we had a great and memorable run with Bill and Peyton culminating in the 2006 Super Bowl win, and 2009 Super Bowl appearance and AFC Championship title. We are indebted to both for helping to build a great franchise. Ryan and I will be expanding on our great past success by emphasizing a more physical brand of football, larger offensive and defensive lines, and power running game. This would allow our outstanding young quarterback Andrew Luck to follow in the footsteps of the great Peyton Manning, and carry on the great success and tradition of Indianapolis Colts football.

That is all he had to say. I'll be glad to sign on as his PR guy. He will be my first client at the Old Crow Public Relations firm.

I haven't changed my mind one bit on the tribute .

I think that puts you in the minority

My point is, I am fully aware that people with opinions like yours will not change.  I'm not going to argue it.  I think the tribute and Coach Paganos speech say all that needs to be said

I did see a sign held by a Bronco's fan that said "We'll take Luck when you're done with him too".  :)  Gave me a chuckle.

Maybe that is one that Nadine found offensive, since it is referring to the Colts Organization not being Loyal to players...???

My point is, I am fully aware that people with opinions like yours will not change.  I'm not going to argue it.  I think the tribute and Coach Paganos speech say all that needs to be said

That's fine and all about the tribute, but don't you agree that Jim could have put out a better statement like the one I provided to the press before the game, as an example ? Didn't  he realize that the media would be chomping at the bit to bring up anything perceived as controversial ? Does he want to be an owner known for shooting from the hip ? He is running the team operations highly professionally, why wouldn't you want to come off sounding as professional as possible, especially since, as the owner, you are the face of the franchise. Jim has come a long way to distance himself from his father, who was a highly unsuccessful owner, and very controversial. There are others like Jerry Jones and Dan Synder who bring troubles upon their own teams. I'm not saying Jim is these guys, but you certainly don't want to be perceived as these guys. Unfortunately, the press can shape those kind of opinions.

Part of being a successful owner is knowing how to handle the press, and put the best light on your organization. Irsay has been highly complimented by the press since 1998, for the way he has run a successful organization. It is well earned based on the Colt's record. Why do you suddenly want to start a war with the media, and sling back stuff at them on twitter. Lets give him the benefit of the doubt and take what he said in his second explanation , but had he just put out a prepared statement like the one I suggested before the game, there would have been no media maelstrom. As a professional football owner, why would you even want that ? 

I don't mind Jim putting quirky trivia contests , and fun charity quips on his twitter, and interacting with fans. That is why many Colt fans like him. However, some adviser should be helping him with press statements and the like, when the full spotlight is on your team in the case of this week's game. Maybe he doesn't want that help, but I would think everyone would have liked a better public relations result than what ensued. 

I may be in the minority on this one, but most CEO's I deal with have PR people to help guide them with the press. Jim Irsay runs a billion dollar business, albeit a sports team, and you just have to watch what you're saying sometimes. That is my point. 

I saw some that were not nice.  That's what I mean

Wow you must have a better HD TV than I have because I didn't see any signs that were disrespectful at all. :)  The ones I saw were just paying tribute to Peyton which I thought was nice since Mr Irsay did that before the game also.

I know. Just giving you a hard time.

No problem. I know the franchise has two Super Bowls. Sometimes I go down to the Sports legends museum to see that old Super Bowl 5 trophy and remember the good times. If you sued the Frontiere family to get back the original Super Bowl 5 trophy, both Baltimore and Indy would both have a trophy. I'm still not sure why the Ram's owner's kids, whose mother took over the team from Steve Rosenbloom , after his father died, has any right to that trophy. Carroll Rosenbloom should never have been allowed to cart that trophy off, but the NFL was scared of him because all of the lawsuits floating around at the time. Bob Irsay was angry, but never pursued it. That trophy has a strange history about it similar to the Vikings losing the old NFL Championship trophy, and being cursed for it. That was like an old rotating Stanley Cup-type trophy, and has never been found. 

I didn't watch the game.  Still haven't although I did record it on my old VCR. :)

However, a friend told me about a sign that she saw at the end of the game that I found to be in bad taste given that the Colts had just paid tribute to Peyton. 

It said something like, "This is no longer Peyton's Place".

As if we all needed a reminder that Peyton is no longer a Colt.  :rollseyes:

Maybe that is one that Nadine found offensive, since it is referring to the Colts Organization not being Loyal to players...???

Nah.  :)  I did see a couple that at the time I thought - how embarrassing.  I don't remember what they said now and people will be people but yeah, I would not be proud to call that person my friend. 

I haven't changed my mind one bit on the tribute or the tweets. Most of you guys say what Irsay tweeted was the truth about Polian and Manning , and that they should have won more titles and had to change the philosophy. It's probably true, but you guys have been denying this over and over when Patriots fans have come on and said it was all about the rings. You have been the guys pointing out how it should be defined by division titles , regular season records , and the like.

Now, I have no problem with Irsay analyzing the past, and saying he's gone to a more balanced philosophy. Setting that tone and getting the right GM is a responsibility of the owner. But honestly, don't you think by bringing this up this week wouldn't have cut Manning to the core ? Leave the media out of it and how they feel, don't you think Peyton might not be upset by the comments, especially when you've planned a tribute for him ? Sure he clarified it by saying they didn't put enough around him, but you know Manning as a competitor took all those playoff losses hard, and put a lot of blame on himself. The time for those comments were in the beginning of the season , not a couple weeks, or being published days before the guy your honoring is coming back to town.

Irsay, being the zen sort of guy he is, should be more happy about the Polian years, 2 SB appearances, and one title. He's told us in Baltimore for years about the power of forgiveness when the Colts come to town, but he can't forgive Polian for not giving him a second title ? He's frustrated that Pittsburgh and Baltimore have two, and NE has three ? That is the jealousy thing he hammered others on his twitter account.

Better comments would have been we had a great and memorable run with Bill and Peyton culminating in the 2006 Super Bowl win, and 2009 Super Bowl appearance and AFC Championship title. We are indebted to both for helping to build a great franchise. Ryan and I will be expanding on our great past success by emphasizing a more physical brand of football, larger offensive and defensive lines, and power running game. This would allow our outstanding young quarterback Andrew Luck to follow in the footsteps of the great Peyton Manning, and carry on the great success and tradition of Indianapolis Colts football.

That is all he had to say. I'll be glad to sign on as his PR guy. He will be my first client at the Old Crow Public Relations firm.

Very well stated!!!  BUT you forgot to mention that he also breached Manning's private statements saying that we need to take Luck and that it's a no brainer.  That's embarrassing as hell to be published for all to see.  Put yourself in Manning's shoes.  Those words should NEVER have been repeated, NEVER !!!!  Manning will never forget but he may forgive.  When we play Denver AT DENVER in the Playoffs, we will have hell to pay, I think we all know it and dread it.  manning will have his day and it will be bittersweet.  Your comments are SPOT ON.  Just wanted to add that additional info.

My point is, I am fully aware that people with opinions like yours will not change. I'm not going to argue it. I think the tribute and Coach Paganos speech say all that needs to be said

unless someone has an agenda it's hard to watch the tribute and see the fans and Peyton's reaction and think it wasn't the right thing to do. Those that feel other wise have an agenda or just don't get how much Peyton Manning meant to this fan base IMO.

I took a sign to the Game.  Maybe some found mine offensive too..  :dunno:

I have watched Peyton play since his College Days, and I wanted to show my Respect, on a night that many were trying to come to some kind of closure.

I tried hard to come up with something that would be appropriate, yet not offensive to others.  I enlisted the help of a few others on the Forum here to help me with the wording, and I will leave them unmentioned, unless they choose to acknowledge it themselves.  

The SNF Bus crew happened to love it, and were Singing along to the tune, as "they" were snapping many photos.....

This is what we came up with, for those of you that missed it.  

I took a sign to the Game.  Maybe some found mine offensive too..   :dunno:

I have watched Peyton play since his College Days, and I wanted to show my Respect, on a night that many were trying to come to some kind of closure.

I tried hard to come up with something that would be appropriate, yet not offensive to others.  I enlisted the help of a few others on the Forum here to help me with the wording, and I will leave them unmentioned, unless they choose to acknowledge it themselves.  

The SNF Bus crew happened to love it, and were Singing along to the tune, as "they" were snapping many photos.....

If someone found that offensive I truly question that persons mental stability.

I took a sign to the Game. Maybe some found mine offensive too.. :dunno:

I tried hard to come up with something that would be appropriate, yet not offensive to others. I enlisted the help of a few others on the Forum here to help me with the wording, and I will leave them unmentioned, unless they choose to acknowledge it themselves.

I thnk it would pretty hard to find that offensive and I think is frankly true of most Colts fans. I think it's also safe to say by watching Peyton on Sunday during the ovation and his pre-game interview his heart is very much still in Indianapolis.

Was just listening to Mike and Mike, they said that Irsay was tweeting up as late as 5am.  They read them and I agree, he just needs to go to bed.  They said he was classless again, misspelling words, using profanity, etc.  Mike Greeberg finally said, "Money can buy you a lot of things, make no mistake, but one thing it cannot buy is class".  WOW, they were slamming him outright.  What is Irsay's deal?????  Getting tired of him.

Jim Irsay ‏@JimIrsay 4h

So much credit 2 BEST FANS,COLTSFANS N to Peyton,MATHIS,Marvin,Reggie,Jeff Sat n now #12Luck,#13 T Y and T Dungy,Chuck P and so MANY others!

Jim Irsay ‏@JimIrsay 4h

Thanks 2 many ignorant n mean spirited media types,only some,certaInly not all;Man you helped FIRE UP our team..you were AWESOME! Thank YOU!

Jim Irsay ‏@JimIrsay 4h

Prayers and much love for #87 Reggie...let's pray his right knee gets miracle news!!!!!! Love that man and pray for good news!!!!!!

Jim Irsay ‏@JimIrsay 3h

Actually working,sorry naysayers..I don't drink...haven't in over 15 years..I know when your unhappy or jealous it's easy to b mean-spirited

Jim Irsay ‏@JimIrsay 3h

I do pray for you unhappy,%-slingers...who wants to live on a planet with those who don't like themselves..we want happy,kind people:)

I see nothing that wan't justifiable, he was slammed all week by the media.

Come on Farley, stop being a hater. What did he say that was wrong?^^^^^

Wow you must have a better HD TV than I have because I didn't see any signs that were disrespectful at all. :)  The ones I saw were just paying tribute to Peyton which I thought was nice since Mr Irsay did that before the game also.

Glad you did not see them

Love you sign

I didn't watch the game.  Still haven't although I did record it on my old VCR. :)

However, a friend told me about a sign that she saw at the end of the game that I found to be in bad taste given that the Colts had just paid tribute to Peyton. 

It said something like, "This is no longer Peyton's Place".

As if we all needed a reminder that Peyton is no longer a Colt.  :rollseyes:

This is what I was talking about

sigh

crow, my point is that I feel about our owner the way coach does and our fans feel about manning the way the tribute indicated

I'm not at all clear on how people are angry about anything that I've said so I'm bowing out of this thread

I love your sign Gramz and I like how it ties in with your love of music also. 

sigh

crow, my point is that I feel about our owner the way coach does and our fans feel about manning the way the tribute indicated

I'm not at all clear on how people are angry about anything that I've said so I'm bowing out of this thread

No problem. Even though I got clipped , I respect your opinion. No anger , just discussing things.

Come on Farley, stop being a hater. What did he say that was wrong?^^^^^

look who's the hater, i don't hate anyone. Irsay is the one who has spread malcontent and has anguished one of the greatest of all time.  Irsay just continues his Victory Lap of pointed tweets.