Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1 quarter of the way through the season, who are your award winners?

Dustin

MVP: Peyton Manning

OPOY: Peyton Manning

DPOY: Ndamakong Suh

CPOY: Phillip Rivers

COTY: Andy Reid.

OROY: Deandre Hopkins

DROY: Star Lotulelei

Good list....I need to do a little homework on a couple.  I want to give some love to Alex Smith as CPOY.....this guy has been disrespected so much...and he goes out and wins and makes VERY few mistakes (See Shaub for reference to mistakes....and Flacco yesterday) :)

Guest TeamLoloJones

MVP: Peyton Manning

OPOY: Peyton Manning

DPOY: Ndamakong Suh

CPOY: Phillip Rivers

COTY: Andy Reid.

OROY: Deandre Hopkins

DROY: Star Lotulelei

DPOY should be Aqib Talib.  Otherwise great list.

Good list....I need to do a little homework on a couple.  I want to give some love to Alex Smith as CPOY.....this guy has been disrespected so much...and he goes out and wins and makes VERY few mistakes (See Shaub for reference to mistakes....and Flacco yesterday) :)

Going to go back and give you a like for this. Typically, game manager is a backhanded compliment, at best, for a QB.  However, there are Great game managers, and crappy game managers. Alex Smith just doesn't turn the ball over - great game manager. Scaub - liable to turn it over at worst possible time.  Not so great game manager.  If Alex Smith was QB of Texans in 4th quarter yesterday, Texans win that game , IMO.

and back on topic, the list is good.  With nice honorable mentions listed by others.

MVP is Brady - by far most important player to his team this year.

Offensive player of year is Manning without question.

I like the rest of your list.

I think you are taking the 'doing more with less' track.  Well, in retrospect, Deion Branch and Troy Brown weren't as bad a folks made them out to be, and Peyton Manning also made many no name receivers look quite decent on Sports Centervideo clips (Blair White, Gijon Robinson, Aaron Moorehead, Tom Santi, Brody Eldredge, Brandon James, etc.   Tom's young receivers won't be deemed horrible by the end of the year either. The way I see it, Peyton is doing a LOT more with more. 

Making chicken salad-out-of-chicken-poop-award - Tom Brady, you gotta give him props for doing that. :)

I think the Colts' D, Chiefs' D and the Patriots' D will be the only Ds that will hold Peyton to less than or equal to 31 points.

MVP is Peyton. After losing to Adrian Peterson, if he puts up 55 TDs and 5 INTs or something unprecedented like that, you can book it that he is getting his 5th MVP.

I am sure Brady would prefer a 4th ring over a 3rd MVP any day of the week.

I think you are taking the 'doing more with less' track.  Well, in retrospect, Deion Branch and Troy Brown weren't as bad a folks made them out to be, and Peyton Manning also made many no name receivers look quite decent on Sports Centervideo clips (Blair White, Gijon Robinson, Aaron Moorehead, Tom Santi, Brody Eldredge, Brandon James, etc.   Tom's young receivers won't be horrible by the end of the year either. The way I see it, Peyton is doing a LO more with more. 

At Indy Manning had always been doing more with less. Reggie is great and Marvin was quick, but to today's standard they are not as physically gifted as the younger generation of stars, and besides these two the other receivers he had were mostly made by him.

Guest TeamLoloJones

If that is your measuring stick, than Phillip Rivers should be MVP.  He has better numbers than Brady. His running game is worse, and his defense is worse.

haha... this is a good one.... I suppose Luck should have been MVP last season according to this logic...

I think your criteria is valid, as long as you add some weight to player performance... Any downgrading of Manning due to the strength of his supporting cast should be nullified by the fact that he is statistically destroying the rest of the field... Brady is easily the Pats' MVP, but Manning is just as easily the league's IMO... up to this point in the season, that is...

At Indy Manning had always been doing more with less. Reggie is great and Marvin was quick, but to today's standard they are not as physically gifted as the younger generation of stars, and besides these two the other receivers he had were mostly made by him.

Yep, those two HoFers were total junk. Not to mention that bum James. <insert sarcasm>

haha... this is a good one.... I suppose Luck should have been MVP last season according to this logic...

I think your criteria is valid, as long as you add some weight to player performance... Any downgrading of Manning due to the strength of his supporting cast should be nullified by the fact that he is statistically destroying the rest of the field... Brady is easily the Pats' MVP, but Manning is just as easily the league's IMO... up to this point in the season, that is...

Sure. That is why he is offensive player of the year thus far. Pretty much half the league could play with his team and be 2-2 right now if not better. You take Brady off the Pats and they are 0-4 with perhaps 9 points scored total.

You take Brady off the Pats and they are 0-4 with perhaps 9 points scored total.

They went 11-5 with a good team and a bum at QB named Matt Cassel. (A good team then VS a decent one now.)

I don't think it's a stretch to think any good or even mediocre QB in the league could take an injured, but still well coached and decent overall, Patriots team and beat the ever so menacing Jets, Bills, Bucs, and/or Falcons. Saying nobody besides Brady could win any of those and they'd be 0-4 is absurd.

Peyton/Rodgers/Brees would be 4-0 by sole virtue of giving them all day to throw. Aside from the O-line, Rodgers would get an overall upgrade going to NE.  He'd be scary there.

Plenty of other QB's would be at least 2-2 or 3-1 with the only non-automatic game being the Falcons. Implying no other QB could burn garbage like the Jets, Bills, or heck even just the 0-4 Bucs with a team like the Pats is ridiculous.

New England is injured, but they're not. That. Bad. You want to see bad? Jacksonville. Pittsburgh. Giants. New England is struggling, but not even in the same ballpark as those guys. They're still a decent team.

Sure. That is why he is offensive player of the year thus far. Pretty much half the league could play with his team and be 2-2 right now if not better. You take Brady off the Pats and they are 0-4 with perhaps 9 points scored total.

He pats have already held 2 opponents to 10 points or less. you're telling me that the pats couldn't score 11 points in eitherr of those 2 games without Brady?

homerism to the extreme.

you're going to be very disappointed at seasons end. Manning is running away with the mvp and no one else is close at this point

I couldn't agree more.

Oh...except for your MVP pick. The MVP is Peyton Manning.

Yeah........Brady is handling things like the HoF elite QB he is, dragging the weight of the entire team to an undefeated first 1/4 of the season. 

However, that doesn't impress like Manning's historic start to the season. Simply holding the fort isn't going to add up to anywhere near the same amount of votes as setting records and smashing history, as we see the GOAT doing in Denver. 

PS: I got a real kick out of Rodney Harrison proclaiming (2 or 3 times last night on NBC) that Peyton was and is better than Brady. 

MVP - Peyton

OPOY - Peyton

DPOY - Justin Houston or whoever is leading the league in sacks at the end of the year

OROY - I haven't seen much of Hopkins, but I want to say Gio Bernard

DROY - Haven't followed this one closely.  My top 4 would be Eric Reid, Vaccaro, Richardson, or Lotulelei

CPOY - Alex Smith

COY - If the Broncos go 16-0, it's hard not to give it to Fox.  If they don't, Reid, and McCoy deserve consideration

I pretty much agree with you there, but want to point out how surreal it is to hear that after so many years of being on the other side of the argument....

There could be a case made, however, that it was the NE defense that won the first 3 games... the WR numbers (and thus the QBs numbers) are really bad... I'll give you that those WRs are scrubs and that it would be nearly impossible to make them look good those first few weeks,  but it could also be said that it was the defense that carried the team and not Brady, who played pretty poorly according to the stat sheet.... I don't agree with this line of thinking, really... I mean, the D did kind of carry the team, but I don't see many other QBs going even 2-2 with the offense that you guys were fielding...

Still no way Brady is MVP up to this point in the season, Peyton might as well accept it now. :)

I pretty much agree with you there, but want to point out how surreal it is to hear that after so many years of being on the other side of the argument....

There could be a case made, however, that it was the NE defense that won the first 3 games... the WR numbers (and thus the QBs numbers) are really bad... I'll give you that those WRs are scrubs and that it would be nearly impossible to make them look good those first few weeks,  but it could also be said that it was the defense that carried the team and not Brady, who played pretty poorly according to the stat sheet.... I don't agree with this line of thinking, really... I mean, the D did kind of carry the team, but I don't see many other QBs going even 2-2 with the offense that you guys were fielding...

Still no way Brady is MVP up to this point in the season, Peyton might as well accept it now. :)

Sure. Manning with get MVP most likely just based on the eye poppoing numbers but for sure Brady is more valuable to his team right now. His D has played well but really he has no one out there other than Endelman and a bunch of rooks.

I think what will make things interesting is if the Pats end up winning more games and win the h-to-h vs the Broncos. If the Pats do end up with a better record which I don't think they will then the MVP race will heat up. And I believe it would be that way if the roles were reversed and Brady was the one with the unstoppable offense and Manning was playing with a bunch of rooks.