Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

FA spending and it's worth this season

Warhorse

There's a difference between signing FAs like the redskins or eagles and what we did or the dolphins. The difference is the type of players that were signed. Not real big name players, but they fit the type of scheme we wanted to run. You can't just take a player and expect him to perform just because he did so well on another team that did something completely different then what your team does.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Those are also three up and coming teams that have been building up these last few years.  And while all three spent good money in FA, the definitely didn't take the "Dream Team" approach.

I like what Tennessee did. It's similar to our free agency, where they got a lot of help at a lot of different positions, with only a couple higher money signings (Levitre, only the best guard on the market, and Walker, a nice tight end weapon). The rest of their adds fill holes on a temporary basis, while they continue to add talent in the draft. 

Not so much Miami; I think Ellerbe and Mike Wallace are overrated and overpaid. They concentrated a lot of their spending on just a few players. It might work out for them, but I just don't like the money they gave those two guys. The Wheeler signing was excellent; I thought we should have held on to him in 2012.

I like what Tennessee did. It's similar to our free agency, where they got a lot of help at a lot of different positions, with only a couple higher money signings (Levitre, only the best guard on the market, and Walker, a nice tight end weapon). The rest of their adds fill holes on a temporary basis, while they continue to add talent in the draft. 

Not so much Miami; I think Ellerbe and Mike Wallace are overrated and overpaid. They concentrated a lot of their spending on just a few players. It might work out for them, but I just don't like the money they gave those two guys. The Wheeler signing was excellent; I thought we should have held on to him in 2012.

Hindsight is always 20-20 but the Colts should have tried harder to keep Wheeler. I know the Colts were in cap space trouble but it is what it is.

Hindsight is always 20-20 but the Colts should have tried harder to keep Wheeler. I know the Colts were in cap space trouble but it is what it is.

He signed with the Raiders on a minimum, one year deal. We very easily could have kept him if we wanted. I don't think Grigson and Pagano wanted him. That's fine, he wasn't a standout. I just thought he'd make a good Sam backer in the hybrid defense. I see him as a more athletic Erik Walden.

Landry and Francois can`t stay healthy so they were big mistakes.

Waldren can`t set the edge so he was a bad mistake.

Shoulda gave Freeney what he thought he was worth, kept Dallas, and just let Andrew pass us into the SB. Ya!

ok guy RJF is gonna miss a week vs jax  and your ALREADY throwing the guy under the bus ?  i agree with walden never liked the signing at all i was hoping we would have brought in avril as 3-4 OLB or even Kruger ? but i still think this team is a great team and has lots of great players  we just need one player on the DLINE either NT or DE who can be a force and get in the backfield more

ok guy RJF is gonna miss a week vs jax  and your ALREADY throwing the guy under the bus ?  i agree with walden never liked the signing at all i was hoping we would have brought in avril as 3-4 OLB or even Kruger ? but i still think this team is a great team and has lots of great players  we just need one player on the DLINE either NT or DE who can be a force and get in the backfield more

Just beating some of the clowns to it, Having me a laugh.

Our roster was terrible last year.

I am happy with Grigsons attempt to use all that player salary money. Only an * would not let these players have some time to get better before they judge who he took a chance on.

BTW, I think Kruger would have been a solid pickup at the salary he got. But I also feel a deep roster is just as important.

It is a crapshoot. I do know the rosters are too small and to much money goes to too few players.

Wallace is a tad overrated but he opens things up for teammates with his speed, which they diffidently needed. I think that they spent alot on Wallace but you can get return on investment, with other things that may not show up on a stat sheet.

Landry and Francois can`t stay healthy so they were big mistakes.

Waldren can`t set the edge so he was a bad mistake.

Shoulda gave Freeney what he thought he was worth, kept Dallas, and just let Andrew pass us into the SB. Ya!

Landry and Francios were good signs, never know about injuries, & Walden was playing good although he didn't look good against the 49ers. Freeney would have tried to keep him for less money, let him check his market price. As much as a love Dallas, probable would have let him walk.

Wallace is a tad overrated but he opens things up for teammates with his speed, which they diffidently needed. I think that they spent alot on Wallace but you can get return on investment, with other things that may not show up on a stat sheet.

You can draft a really fast guy in the 4th round of the draft and not have to pay him $60 million.

Yes you can, but he will have NO track record, or garner any respect from the opposing team. Thats the point!

If they don't respect him, then he burns them deep.

I'd much rather have TY (a 3rd rounder) at like $600,000 then I would Wallace at $60,000,000.

If they don't respect him, then he burns them deep.

I'd much rather have TY (a 3rd rounder) at like $600,000 then I would Wallace at $60,000,000.

I Love TY, but honestly Wallace is bigger & at this point in there careers better, Wallace garners double coverage all the time. Don't get me wrong I would not have paid him $60,000000 he is overpaid but, I understand why they did it, because all of the receivers they have are slow, they can't stretch the field, opens up running game, and more room for other receivers! I think the Dolphins apparently think they can win now. Honestly they looked pretty good against the Colts.

Just beating some of the clowns to it, Having me a laugh.

Our roster was terrible last year.

I am happy with Grigsons attempt to use all that player salary money. Only an * would not let these players have some time to get better before they judge who he took a chance on.

BTW, I think Kruger would have been a solid pickup at the salary he got. But I also feel a deep roster is just as important.

It is a crapshoot. I do know the rosters are too small and to much money goes to too few players.

Roster size has always aggravated me.  A few more spots could save a lot of wear and tear on some guys.

I always thought Wheeler was awful here. He was great at being at being the 3rd tackler though.

I Love TY, but honestly Wallace is bigger & at this point in there careers better, Wallace garners double coverage all the time. Don't get me wrong I would not have paid him $60,000000 he is overpaid but, I understand why they did it, because all of the receivers they have are slow, they can't stretch the field, opens up running game, and more room for other receivers! I think the Dolphins apparently think they can win now. Honestly they looked pretty good against the Colts.

He's bigger, but he doesn't play like it

My stock response is that no one is overpaid (or underpaid) until they've played through the season or contract. Thomas was overpaid if you go by production per game this year. Walden may be considered overpaid now, but it may turn out differently.

Wallace is a fraud, a fraud with a very bad attitude. When he had talent around him he could beat teams 1 on 1, but in Miami they discovered that he's real good at running fast straight and not much else.

Never understood the signing of Landry, he's a fast guy that can't cover and always takes bad angles. There's a reason why teams like the Jets and Jags who BOTH let him walk and who BOTH have horrible secondaries didn't make a pitch for him..

Wallace is a fraud, a fraud with a very bad attitude. When he had talent around him he could beat teams 1 on 1, but in Miami they discovered that he's real good at running fast straight and not much else.

Never understood the signing of Landry, he's a fast guy that can't cover and always takes bad angles. There's a reason why teams like the Jets and Jags who BOTH let him walk and who BOTH have horrible secondaries didn't make a pitch for him..

I was reading your post and started laughing pretty hard when I got to jags let him walk and jets have a horrible secondary which are both very untrue. Laron never played for the jags and jets had a top 10 secondary last year but didn't have money to resign him.

I was reading your post and started laughing pretty hard when I got to jags let him walk and jets have a horrible secondary which are both very untrue. Laron never played for the jags and jets had a top 10 secondary last year but didn't have money to resign him.

LOL yeah hilarious. He was thinking of Dawan Landry.

Laron never played for the Jags.

My stock response is that no one is overpaid (or underpaid) until they've played through the season or contract. Thomas was overpaid if you go by production per game this year. Walden may be considered overpaid now, but it may turn out differently.

I think the market at the time has much to do with what a player is paid. A lot of times we go back and look at how a contract worked out, but it's not really fair in hindsight. Given the market this offseason, and Wallace's prior production, I think he got too much. Time will tell whether the money was spent wisely, but I don't think it was a good deal for the Dolphins.

My opinion is that no team in the NFL, can win 11 games with a terrible roster. I know there are varying opinions on semantics, but terrible could never win 11 games in the hardest league in the world IMO.

We had talent, very young talent and I think we caught a lot of people by surprise..

Plus Pagano's condition hyped our team and brought our team closer as a unit.

the reason the colts were in that situation is because they made bad decisions in over paying their own free agents instead of possibly letting them walk with lower offers.

We had talent, very young talent and I think we caught a lot of people by surprise..

Plus Pagano's condition hyped our team and brought our team closer as a unit.

That might get you a win or two...at best. Coaches work 18 hours a day and players train and watch film so much these days that the idea of getting surprised could only happen for one or two games at best. After that, the cat is out of the bag for the league....the Colts have more talent than we thought. My comment was in response to the idea that we had a "terrible" roster. I firmly disagreed.

That might get you a win or two...at best. Coaches work 18 hours a day and players train and watch film so much these days that the idea of getting surprised could only happen for one or two games at best. After that, the cat is out of the bag for the league....the Colts have more talent than we thought. My comment was in response to the idea that we had a "terrible" roster. I firmly disagreed.

Definitely not terrible..

But nowhere as potentially good as the roster we have now.

Next year we should be even better.

"The three top-spending teams in unrestricted free agency -- Miami, Indianapolis and Tennessee -- are a combined 7-2. How they'll do the rest of the season is uncertain, but perhaps volume buying is paying dividends early."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/1stand10-13week4/biggest-nfl-games-week-4-john-clayton-first-10

Enjoy it this year and to a lesser extent next season.    After 2015 the Colts won't be seeing any more shopping sprees for a VERY LONG time.

My opinion is that no team in the NFL, can win 11 games with a terrible roster. I know there are varying opinions on semantics, but terrible could never win 11 games in the hardest league in the world IMO.

Basing it primarily on how many starters were replaced and a couple more they just could`nt quite get to YET.

And, all that terrible football and late come from behinds we watched against the weakest schedule in the league.

Certainly has to be mentioned with the worst 11 win teams in the history of the NFL.

It was still Awesome for the INDY Colts to play in Baltimore, in the playoffs, against those Ravens. Go Colts!