Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bjoern Werner

Dark Superman

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the theory that being behind HOF's is the reason he couldn't get on the field is clearly false.

And his stats as a veteran in the league are comparable to Werners rookie stats 3 games in.

Just found it interesting.

How is it false? What * would have put in a rookie in alot of situations when you have Freeney and Mathis as your starters? Colts fans would have blown a gasket. Sure he was rotated in and out for 12 games but alot of players cant get into the flow of  a game being rotated in and out, a pass rush here, a pass rush there to give Freeney or Mathis a breather.....Not much. I'd expect two backup players stats to be comparable when they are rush linebackers, Putting a pass rush move on a Tackle and then substituted out then substituted back in only to try another move and not getting into the flow of the game. There is not many that can come right in in a rotational role and light up the stat sheet

How is it false? What * would have put in a rookie in alot of situations when you have Freeney and Mathis as your starters? Colts fans would have blown a gasket. Sure he was rotated in and out for 12 games but alot of players cant get into the flow of a game being rotated in and out, a pass rush here, a pass rush there to give Freeney or Mathis a breather.....Not much. I'd expect two backup players stats to be comparable when they are rush linebackers, Putting a pass rush move on a Tackle and then substituted out then substituted back in only to try another move and not getting into the flow of the game. There is not many that can come right in in a rotational role and light up the stat sheet

He's not behind HOF's now, and he's still playing the same as always. So I've been told numerous times, "wait till he's off the Colts then we will see the real Hughes."

Thus far he has looked like the same player the Colts drafted.

And I don't really expect backups, as you put it, to have very close stats when one is a raw rookie, and the other has only been held back, supposedly, by the players he was behind.

Just my opinion on comparing the two.

Is it just me or does it seem like we made a mistake by picking him?

I admit I didn't like the pick and I'm still not sold on it..

To me he just seems slow and lost out there.. I know he's a rookie and he's still learning but I'm not totally sold on Werner ever being a very good pass rusher.

I'll give him a chance of course.. I really hope he proves me wrong.

I was really hoping we drafted DeAndre Hopkins.. I was so upset when Houston got him.

I don't think he will be a great pass rusher. I think he will be a very good pass rusher and run stuffer.

Is it just me or does it seem like we made a mistake by picking him?

I admit I didn't like the pick and I'm still not sold on it..

To me he just seems slow and lost out there.. I know he's a rookie and he's still learning but I'm not totally sold on Werner ever being a very good pass rusher.

I'll give him a chance of course.. I really hope he proves me wrong.

I was really hoping we drafted DeAndre Hopkins.. I was so upset when Houston got him.

It might be just you, I'm digging the kid

Not yet, but if he continues to look "lost" out there to you, I'm sure it's only a matter of time for you to start that thread.

I know, maybe he can kick field goals since you want AV gone so bad.

I would want him to play out his rookie contract..

Than we can determine if he's worth resigning.

I just think its time to go younger at kicker.

AV is 40 and making over $3 million..

He's not behind HOF's now, and he's still playing the same as always. So I've been told numerous times, "wait till he's off the Colts then we will see the real Hughes."

Thus far he has looked like the same player the Colts drafted.

And I don't really expect backups, as you put it, to have very close stats when one is a raw rookie, and the other has only been held back, supposedly, by the players he was behind.

Just my opinion on comparing the two.

fair enough, for the record I never said he was a real good player....he is not.......just better then some will give him credit for

And yet again Jerry Hughes makes another appearance, and yet again Gavin does a solid job defending him. My money is on Werner being 10 x more productive by the time they retire...

I got no love for Hughes but that isn't entirely fair. Different system first few years and Werner isn't playing behind Freeney and Mathis....but I agree I think Werner is better.

Agreed. I expect he will grow into a similar OLB as Paul Krueger.

Speaking as a Browns fan with the Colts being my close 2nd, I wouldn't have minded too much if we had also traded you guys Kruger and gotten Bjoern away from you. Right now Krugers main advantages over Werner is that he's stronger and can push tackles back into the qb's face. Bjoern will be as strong if not stronger in a short time, as well as being way way faster...especially around the edge. We paid 8m to Kruger and he has zero hand fighting ability. I would have came in my pants if we had the potential of a Werner/Mingo edge presence.

I was a huge fan of Werner when he came out last year, wanted my Browns to nab him...but we did pretty good with Mingo. Since the Colts are the only other team I allow myself to follow otherwise I start to resemble a fantasy league degenerate... :D ....I've been watching Werner intently when the colts games have been on the air here. Preseason he looked "awful". He got absolutely blown out of plays by some TE's blocking down on him and he never saw it coming. I was like oh man was I wrong about this kid....once the season started it was night and day. He was playing too high in the preseason, in college he played low on the run blocking...that's what made him such a beast. I think they initially told him to play more straight up cause everybody wants to bat down passes now. But now it looks like he's getting his leverage back and he's carving off the edges on his pass rush. Dude "will" get stronger in the NFL and may even gain a step or two by the time it's all said and done.

I don't want to block anyone.     And I certainly don't like being the designated Bad Guy.

I can be a real jerk when I need to be,  but I really don't like it when I am.

I will sometimes try to make an "over the top" type of post as I did that caught your eye,  simply because I'm trying to get some people to re-think things.   To see things differently.   To take a different approach.

I'd rather be the nicest, friendliest, most likable poster here....   but from time to time I wear the black hat.  

Typically it's not when things are going bad.   Then, I'll try to make a positive post to lift spirits around here.

But when times are good and people are still making crazy negative posts,  my brain turns to mush and I go a bit postal....

Sorry......   but for better, and for worse....    I'm wired a bit different....

somebody is full of himself

1000x this. Both were forced into completely new systems, Hughes had to somehow get playing time behind 2 HOFers. And last year Hughes was actually nice in the same role as Werner. Very nice in fact. 

hughes was atrocious last year

not even close to very nice

The Colt D holds the 49ers to 254 yards of TOTAL O.

3-12 on 3rd down

115 yards rushing..  much in the first half.

139 yards passing.       And still some of you want to be internet geniuses.     And critique a single player or 2 who simply don't deserve it.

I do not get it.

I have watched the game 3 times now and BjW was running ALL over the field.       He will be fine.

Colin who?

Lets see, who would you go with, the 14 million dollar man whos making his case for the hall of fame or an unproven player?

I didn't say replace  anyone with JH. I said "IF" he would have performed better he would have gotten more snaps.  But he didn't. Is that hard for you to comprehend? He couldn't carry Freeneys jock. He under performed the whole time he was here. But Freeney was a liability in the run game last year so whats your case.