Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you like our uniforms?

Ohio Colt

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope we never, ever, ever change our uniforms.  The seahawks and Jacquars can keep their Oregon looking uniforms. Ours is timeless but very cool.

Not even blue helmets? Those white uni's with blue helmets would took sweet.

Nice to see so many on here defending them. Sometimes these threads get a little loopy.

The problem that I always have with these conversations is that it was the uniforms which had a lot to do with my

deciding to root for the Colts in the first place. They are perfect.

Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion, but when you've been watching "perfect" for decades it's a bit disconcerting to hear from other's that decided to root for the same team I did, but are now saying "I'm bored, lets change the uniforms". I can't help but think that perhaps you should have picked a team to root for whose teams you actually liked in the first place.

I'm sure that a knee jerk reaction to that comment might be "I'm from Indy, they are my team". Well I'm from New Jersey, and the Jets/Giants/Eagles are NOT my teams - partially because I didn't like their uniforms. It's not the be all and end all, but I can't fathom rooting for a team when you are repelled by the sight of them.

I'm sure that a knee jerk reaction to that comment might be "it's just a uniform man, that's not a big reason in picking a team". To which I say - then why are you so worried about the issue in the first place? I couldn't care less that you are bored. Often the most enthusiastic complainers are of a generation where having garish uniforms that change colors every ten minutes is required to keep up with their attention spans. Why not just leave it alone and find something else to play with - such as the color saturation, brightness and contrast settings buttons on your tv set. That should actually solve two problems at once.

That's a little bit tongue in cheek by the way. I realize that some long time fans advocate minor tweeks while still respecting the theme - to each his own. SOME, however, basically want uniforms that are a cross between what the Oregon Ducks and Maryland Terrapins would wear - if featured in a SB half-time show with Lady Gaga. Just STOP already.

As you already said, to each his own....no one is telling the "our uniforms are tradition, don't touch them" people to "just STOP already".

I'm sure that a knee jerk reaction to that comment might be "it's just a uniform man, that's not a big reason in picking a team". To which I say - then why are you so worried about the issue in the first place? I couldn't care less that you are bored.

Uniform had absolutely nothing to do with why I decided to follow the Colts.  I will admit, it had something to do with me liking the Vikings when I first started watching the NFL, but I was also much younger at the time and things like pretty colors were more important to me back then than they are now.  Now, I choose to follow a team because of the players, the coaches and the management.  I follow a team because of the way the team is built and the way it is ran, not because of what they wear on game day.  That still doesn't mean that I can't get tired of seeing them wear the same thing over and over and over again.

I definitely hope that some tweaks, whether minor or major, are made in the very near future and I could care less if you would be upset by that. ;)

Using black is so unoriginal and tired

Well I agree it's unoriginal.  I've always been a huge fan of black though so wouldn't personally consider it tired.  Another option that I've thought might be cool is yellow.  I also really liked the Rams old jerseys.  

rams-throwbacks.jpg

A few years ago this subject came up with Irsay. His comment at the time was he would never change the uniform. It is what he grew up with and the heritage of the Colts would always stay at it is. So we can all debate or give our opinions but it really is a mute subject. 

As you already said, to each his own....no one is telling the "our uniforms are tradition, don't touch them" people to "just STOP already".

Uniform had absolutely nothing to do with why I decided to follow the Colts.  I will admit, it had something to do with me liking the Vikings when I first started watching the NFL, but I was also much younger at the time and things like pretty colors were more important to me back then than they are now.  Now, I choose to follow a team because of the players, the coaches and the management.  I follow a team because of the way the team is built and the way it is ran, not because of what they wear on game day.  That still doesn't mean that I can't get tired of seeing them wear the same thing over and over and over again.

I definitely hope that some tweaks, whether minor or major, are made in the very near future and I could care less if you would be upset by that. ;)

Stop what? We are advocating the doing of nothing, so I'm not sure what there is to stop. Ohio Colt should stop mentioning how lucky we are to have perhaps the best uniforms in the history of any professional team on the planet? Please.

I saw you write about your history the other day and actually had it in the back of my mind when responding.

Sorry if I irritated you, but you somewhat make my point for me. Belittle my commitment to the uniforms all you want, but by what definition are you even committed to the team? I don't care who you root for, but it's a bit unreasonable for you to lobby for changes that are irrelevant to your interest. Lets say that you got what you wanted. Ten years from now when you're a devoted fan of another team, we'd still be stuck looking at your choices. Does that seem fair / make sense?

Very silly topic of course, and Irsay has clearly indicated a complete lack of interest in making substantive changes - but I always find these "calls for change" a bit offensive, and I thought I'd throw a wet blanket on it. Sorry if I touched a nerve, but the thought of changes such as you advocate touch mine.

A few years ago this subject came up with Irsay. His comment at the time was he would never change the uniform. It is what he grew up with and the heritage of the Colts would always stay at it is. So we can all debate or give our opinions but it really is a mute subject.

This ^^^

and it is..

If you mean the darker shaded areas are sweat stains, that's incorrect.  It is a "new" feature of the uniform.  It's noticeable only on close ups.  At first, I noticed it on Reggie Wayne (around the belly area) and thought he had split some water on his jersy.  Then I noticed it on another and another and so on.  If you look closely, it starts under the armpits, extends down the sides then wraps around the lower back and the belly area.  It's not really noticeably most of the time, but I found it to be a strange way to redesign the uniform.

alternate home uniform would be cool, something like all blue including the helmets with a white face mask and a colt on the helmet instead of a horse shoe. 

Legend- the horseshoe has been on the Colts helmet since 1954. It stands as the number one logo for the Colts for 59 years. Anyone who knows the NFL knows exactly who that horseshoe belongs to. It has worked very well for all of those years so there is no need to change it now in my opinion. 

Stop what? We are advocating the doing of nothing, so I'm not sure what there is to stop. Ohio Colt should stop mentioning how lucky we are to have perhaps the best uniforms in the history of any professional team on the planet? Please.

I saw you write about your history the other day and actually had it in the back of my mind when responding.

Sorry if I irritated you, but you somewhat make my point for me. Belittle my commitment to the uniforms all you want, but by what definition are you even committed to the team? I don't care who you root for, but it's a bit unreasonable for you to lobby for changes that are irrelevant to your interest. Lets say that you got what you wanted. Ten years from now when you're a devoted fan of another team, we'd still be stuck looking at your choices. Does that seem fair / make sense?

Very silly topic of course, and Irsay has clearly indicated a complete lack of interest in making substantive changes - but I always find these "calls for change" a bit offensive, and I thought I'd throw a wet blanket on it. Sorry if I touched a nerve, but the thought of changes such as you advocate touch mine.

You only touched a nerve in the tone and attitude with which you responded, not with the opinion itself.  Everyone has a right to their opinion.  I only responded with the same tone and attitude as a bit of "what works for the goose, works for the gander" type of thing. ;)  I only belittled your commitment to the uniforms because you belittled the opinions of those of us who would like to see some change.

Who says I'll be a fan of another team in 10 years?  You're making an unjustified assumption.  The Vikings were my favorite team when I was younger because I knew very little about the game at the time.  I picked them at the time because I liked their colors and I knew Jim McMahon's name.  I was very young and immature at the time and just getting started.  I follow the Colts now because, as I said, I like the ownership, I like the management, I like the coaches and I like the players.  I have a much, much deeper loyalty now than I ever did to a team 20 years ago.  

But yes, if they were to for some odd reason do a complete 180 and become the opposite of the classy organization they are today then yes, I would stop following them.  If they were the kind of organization that fired their coaches every year, brought in an excessive number of players with extremely low character and/or criminal backgrounds, stopped helping out in the community, things like that then yes, I would lose my respect for the organization and stop following them.  If you chose to stick with them after all that because you like the uniforms then by all means, be my guest.  I won't question your intentions and I would have thought you would extend the same courtesy.

Well, that would be moot, not mute but I wouldn't even consider it moot unless you take every word Irsay says as gospel.  However I also remember him several times emphatically stating that Peyton would retire a Colt.  Let's play hypothetical though and just accept that Irsay sticks to his word. He's not going to be the owner forever.  He said in an interview once he would retire when Peyton does (hmm, circumstances have probably changed to the point where that comment is no longer relevant ;) ).  However, even if he doesn't retire exactly the same year Peyton does, the fact that he made the comment in the first place tells me that he has some sort of time frame on when he will and it sounds like it's not going to be too far into the future.  Who knows how Casey (currently his heir apparent unless things have changed on that front as well) will run the team. ;)

Legend- the horseshoe has been on the Colts helmet since 1954. It stands as the number one logo for the Colts for 59 years. Anyone who knows the NFL knows exactly who that horseshoe belongs to. It has worked very well for all of those years so there is no need to change it now in my opinion.

Agree. The horseshoe has to be there

You only touched a nerve in the tone and attitude with which you responded, not with the opinion itself.  Everyone has a right to their opinion.  I only responded with the same tone and attitude as a bit of "what works for the goose, works for the gander" type of thing. ;)  I only belittled your commitment to the uniforms because you belittled the opinions of those of us who would like to see some change.

Who says I'll be a fan of another team in 10 years?  You're making an unjustified assumption.  The Vikings were my favorite team when I was younger because I knew very little about the game at the time.  I picked them at the time because I liked their colors and I knew Jim McMahon's name.  I was very young and immature at the time and just getting started.  I follow the Colts now because, as I said, I like the ownership, I like the management, I like the coaches and I like the players.  I have a much, much deeper loyalty now than I ever did to a team 20 years ago.  

But yes, if they were to for some odd reason do a complete 180 and become the opposite of the classy organization they are today then yes, I would stop following them.  If they were the kind of organization that fired their coaches every year, brought in an excessive number of players with extremely low character and/or criminal backgrounds, stopped helping out in the community, things like that then yes, I would lose my respect for the organization and stop following them.  If you chose to stick with them after all that because you like the uniforms then by all means, be my guest.  I won't question your intentions and I would have thought you would extend the same courtesy.

Well, that would be moot, not mute but I wouldn't even consider it moot unless you take every word Irsay says as gospel.  However I also remember him several times emphatically stating that Peyton would retire a Colt.  Let's play hypothetical though and just accept that Irsay sticks to his word. He's not going to be the owner forever.  He said in an interview once he would retire when Peyton does (hmm, circumstances have probably changed to the point where that comment is no longer relevant ;) ).  However, even if he doesn't retire exactly the same year Peyton does, the fact that he made the comment in the first place tells me that he has some sort of time frame on when he will and it sounds like it's not going to be too far into the future.  Who knows how Casey (currently his heir apparent unless things have changed on that front as well) will run the team. ;)

Well if you really have to have the last word and it's that important to you be my guest. I highly doubt the Colts will be changing their uniforms so writing a book is a waist of time. 

No black. Ever.

The Lions did it and now they look like a CFL team. I wish they would go back to what they had when Barry Sanders was there.

The Colts uni's are fine the way they are.

At they very least, I could see a road alternate with an inverted blue helmet with white horseshoe/stripe and blue pants with white stripes - but I don't know what the NFL's regs are regarding having a completely alternate road uni.

I love our uniforms. They are perfect the way they are. I wouldn't mind however having 1 game a year....say the thursday night game or something where we could wear something "SLIGHTLY" different. I would love to see the old school Colt (horse) on the helmet or something with a slightly retro looking uni just for say that game. Definately don't want to change ANYTHING. Any extra colors (black/grey) I'm opposed to....a one time change of font or something with the colors we have I don't see why not...just something fun for the kids....but sunday tradition should be our white and blue unis.....LOVE THEM!! All the classic ones we've seen down through the years to me are the best.....(even NE's old unis I like)....teams that get too adventurous...I just kinda prefer something different. It would be different if this were basketball or baseball that you have lots of games but to me leave the crazy unis to the college ranks.

I know that I asked for it - quite intentionally. I REALLY detest the calls for wild uniform changes. Of course I completely understand your responding in kind. :wave:

It wasn't my intention however to denigrate your "fandom", I was just taking your statement at face value. It read as if you were going out of your way to express an arms length distance and a casual relationship. "I'm here because I like X, Y, Z." The logical conclusion would be that if X,Y,Z went, you'd go with them without hesitation. We all come to be Colts fans for different reasons, but for most of us it would require a crow bar to separate us from the team. Considering how long you've been a fan despite virtually everything that brought you here changing, you might want to rethink your description. It's perhaps more a story of how you came to be a fan, but you might require the same crow bar as me before you'd be comfortable leaving.

Three perspectives on your approach from within my own experience.

a) I sometimes amuse myself by ranking all teams from 1-32 by how much I like them - and it fluctuates over time. There are very few teams or players that I actively dislike, and I can usually put on any game to watch and pick a rooting interest if I'm in the mood. Loving the Colts doesn't mean that I hate everyone else as it clearly does to some people. This isn't war (and even THAT is rarely as cut and dry as people would like to think). Plenty of room for flexibility.

b) I've been a devoted Colts fan since the 60's. I'm fond of the City of Baltimore and it's teams PURELY because of the Colts - who of course have long since moved to a part of the country that might as well be in Bolivia for all the likelyhood of my ever going there. Said team had a horrid owner and was ineptly run for a good 18 years, but I still rooted for them. I paid less attention while waiting for perhaps divine intervention, but I never thought to find another team.

c)I'm a lifelong Knicks fan, who has been avidly rooting for the Denver Nuggets since the Anthony trade. Ironically that was a year before the Peyton situation. Makes my alternative viewing habits quite efficient actually. They have about the worst owner in sports, and I had long since shifted to 1980's Colts "patiently waiting for it to end mode". THEN they hired Donnie Walsh and everything changed. FINALLY the owner had grown up! Professional instead of childish. Incremental steps forward. Acquiring players I enjoyed rooting for. I dared to lift my head up again and start to believe. The most pleasure I'd had as a Knick fan in at least a decade, and perhaps since the early 80's. Just FUN basketball to watch. Then the owner cut Walsh off at the knees and sent my two favorite players (and others I liked) to the Nuggets for the most obnoxious disingenuous selfish lazy ballhog in the sport. I can't even stand to look at still pictures of him much less root for him. I JUST couldn't take it anymore, and I followed those players to Denver. Now I root for the Knicks to loss in the hopes that eventually the owner sells. I guess everyone has their limit (plus of course my interest in football is vastly greater than my interest in basketball).

"do you like our uni's"?

This is the silliest thread I have read to date.    I mean really...

Sigh...  oh well.................

By the way grasshoppers...    DO NOT buy a jersey with "another mans name on it."     

CUSTOMIZE..   ....      :td::goodluck::thmup::highfive2: ;) :huthut:

When I was much younger I caught a glimpse of a Chiefs vs. Colts game (I'm from KC), and I really dug the blue. When I actually got into football, it just stuck with me. Came for the blue; stayed for the players/team.

Chiefs uniforms remind me of McDonals....and I hate McDonalds. If there is one team that needs a uni change it's the Chiefs.

I'll give you the away jerseys for sure. The home jerseys aren't THAT bad......