Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Kaepernick fashion debacle

ReMeDy

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000216553/article/colin-kaepernick-responds-to-miami-dolphins-hat-flak

First, what would your reaction be if, say, Andrew Luck wore another team's hat?

Second, the original image Kaepernick took a screenshot of was likely in front of a mirror, hence why the cap was backwards. My question is if Kaepernick wanted to take the time to defend himself and post a screenshot, why didnt he also take the time to research how to mirror an image? Or why not have someone else take the photograph for him instead of doing it himself in front of a mirror?

0ap1000000216566.jpg

Kaepernick has a very "I'll do whatever I want to do" approach, which is not good for a starting NFL QB where public image is everything. Even on draft day, I remember how he was at home dressed sloppy, barefoot, and slouched on his couch for the cameras. Then there are the tattoo concerns, but I don't mind that as much. I was hoping him becoming a starter may have taught him a few things, but I guess not. It's not a matter of whether he's right or wrong. He needs to keep quiet. He shouldn't have to defend himself from the haters, but he should also know better not to wear another team's hat.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to guess this is more an issue with fans than with anyone else. I doubt his coaches or teammates care much, as long as he plays to win when he's in the field.

I would bet Harbaugh doesn't like it......the guy is nuts. Also, if I was the guy cutting him checks I wouldn't care for it.

He has probably owned the hat before he was in the NFL...

Exactly. There are always guys who remain fans of teams that they liked as kids before they were drafted and still play their hearts out for the team they're actually on. It shouldn't be an issue that a guy likes another team, especially considering that the Dolphins are in a completely different conference...

I would bet Harbaugh doesn't like it......the guy is nuts. Also, if I was the guy cutting him checks I wouldn't care for it.

I shouldn't presume to have any idea how Harbaugh or their owner are reacting to this, but I wouldn't care if he wears Seahawks underwear, Rams socks and a Cardinals tee under his uni on Sundays, as long as he has practiced as asked, he runs plays as called, and he plays to win. But that's just me.

Hm....let's analyze the situation and most likely outcome(s). 

Scenario A:  The 49ers are in the NFC and the Dolphins in the AFC.  They both have young QBs with tons of potential and look to have strong futures.  The most serious confrontation between the two teams will be in the Super Bowl and given the previous sentence, let's assume they both make it there within the next 5 years.  Kaepernick owns a Dolphins hat, so he will attempt to give it as much value as he can.  He will lose the game in a close battle to ensure people remember that Dolphins team.  Then, afterwards, he will get as many Dolphins players and coaches to sign the hat, similar to what Tashard Choice did with Mike Vick.  From there, he will then retire from the NFL and hide somewhere in the southern United States...let's say Atlanta.  Slowly, he waits for Tannehill to retire and the Dolphins to begin losing as their core group gets old and their system is figured out by the rest of the league.  By this time, Andrew Luck has rewritten most of the NFL record book and has won 6 Super Bowls in 6 attempts.  Kaepernick then slowly moves down to Miami where he remains relatively unheard of.  Suddenly, on eBay, a Dolphins hat is up for auction that has the signatures of all players and coaches from their most recent Super Bowl victory.  Colin's obsession with caps has forced him to live in a humble home with little personal belongings and he is now forced to sell his most prized possession.  He gains enough money from selling that one hat that he is able to move to Chicago, where he begins working as an assistant for the Chicago Cubs who drafted him in the 2009 MLB Draft.  His lifelong passion has always been...baseball!  That's why he had such an obsession with caps.  He happily lives his out the rest of his career as part of the Cubs organization....

Scenario B: Nothing happens.

Hm....let's analyze the situation and most likely outcome(s). 

Scenario A:  The 49ers are in the NFC and the Dolphins in the AFC.  They both have young QBs with tons of potential and look to have strong futures.  The most serious confrontation between the two teams will be in the Super Bowl and given the previous sentence, let's assume they both make it there within the next 5 years.  Kaepernick owns a Dolphins hat, so he will attempt to give it as much value as he can.  He will lose the game in a close battle to ensure people remember that Dolphins team.  Then, afterwards, he will get as many Dolphins players and coaches to sign the hat, similar to what Tashard Choice did with Mike Vick.  From there, he will then retire from the NFL and hide somewhere in the southern United States...let's say Atlanta.  Slowly, he waits for Tannehill to retire and the Dolphins to begin losing as their core group gets old and their system is figured out by the rest of the league.  By this time, Andrew Luck has rewritten most of the NFL record book and has won 6 Super Bowls in 6 attempts.  Kaepernick then slowly moves down to Miami where he remains relatively unheard of.  Suddenly, on eBay, a Dolphins hat is up for auction that has the signatures of all players and coaches from their most recent Super Bowl victory.  Colin's obsession with caps has forced him to live in a humble home with little personal belongings and he is now forced to sell his most prized possession.  He gains enough money from selling that one hat that he is able to move to Chicago, where he begins working as an assistant for the Chicago Cubs who drafted him in the 2009 MLB Draft.  His lifelong passion has always been...baseball!  That's why he had such an obsession with caps.  He happily lives his out the rest of his career as part of the Cubs organization....

Scenario B: Nothing happens.

Do I get a Cracker Jack prize if I choose the right answer or is it a rhetorical question? Just Kidding! Very clever...21isSuperman is a crafty & witty individual...Those are the one's SW1 always listens & pays attention to.

How bout a 3rd option: What's behind door #3? Always have a contingency plan right? 

I'm going to guess this is more an issue with fans than with anyone else. I doubt his coaches or teammates care much, as long as he plays to win when he's in the field.

It would be an interesting psychological experiment if say Robert Mathis started to wear a Patriots cap everyday to training camp & to see how his INDY teammates would respond to it. Why not have him wear a NE cap for all the Preseason games too? Trust me, ownership would politely request that the Foxboro hat be replaced with a blue horseshoe one, especially when the TV broadcast cameras start rolling games JMO...

A major hiccup in public relations...The league does stipulate specific sock attire & shoes. I imagine uniform attire, including team hats, falls into that category during NFL games. Remember Peyton Manning wanting to wear the same shoes as QB Johnny Unitas & the stir that briefly raised among the league? 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000216553/article/colin-kaepernick-responds-to-miami-dolphins-hat-flak

First, what would your reaction be if, say, Andrew Luck wore another team's hat?

Second, the original image Kaepernick took a screenshot of was likely in front of a mirror, hence why the cap was backwards. My question is if Kaepernick wanted to take the time to defend himself and post a screenshot, why didnt he also take the time to research how to mirror an image? Or why not have someone else take the photograph for him instead of doing it himself in front of a mirror?

0ap1000000216566.jpg

Kaepernick has a very "I'll do whatever I want to do" approach, which is not good for a starting NFL QB where public image is everything. Even on draft day, I remember how he was at home dressed sloppy, barefoot, and slouched on his couch for the cameras. Then there are the tattoo concerns, but I don't mind that as much. I was hoping him becoming a starter may have taught him a few things, but I guess not. It's not a matter of whether he's right or wrong. He needs to keep quiet. He shouldn't have to defend himself from the haters, but he should also know better not to wear another team's hat.

What does "tattoo concerns" mean?

Why is this news?

I really hate the information age.....  

I agree JD. Not exactly hard hitting investigative journalism here or all that beneficial to anyone is it? Fluff plain & simple. It just means that NFL preseason games in August can't come fast enough I guess.

All I know is Dude will be holding a COLT hat and frowning...... 

I agree JD. Not exactly hard hitting investigative journalism here or all that beneficial to anyone is it? Fluff plain & simple. It just means that NFL preseason games in August can't come fast enough I guess.

What if Luck was holding a Pats hat?  :highfive2:

The fanbase would be divided. Some would welcome the new guy who took his place, others wouldn't, and all articles about him would be strictly limited to the General section.

Wait. :scratch:

It would be an interesting psychological experiment if say Robert Mathis started to wear a Patriots cap everyday to training camp & to see how his INDY teammates would respond to it. Why not have him wear a NE cap for all the Preseason games too? Trust me, ownership would politely request that the Foxboro hat be replaced with a blue horseshoe one, especially when the TV broadcast cameras start rolling games JMO...

A major hiccup in public relations...The league does stipulate specific sock attire & shoes. I imagine uniform attire, including team hats, falls into that category during NFL games. Remember Peyton Manning wanting to wear the same shoes as QB Johnny Unitas & the stir that briefly raised among the league? 

I don't think there's anything wrong with team management requesting that a player not wear attire that promotes a competing franchise. I don't even have a problem with fans of the team said player is on having a problem with it. I just don't think it has anything to do with the way a player performs on the field, and that's really all I care about. Particularly if it's a player on a team I don't actively root for.

If a Colts player wore a Pats hat in public, I'd disapprove. But that would be it. I wouldn't question the player's ability to perform on account of that.

I'm not surprised fans would flip over this...........not that they should but some people really take this stuff seriously

Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a dolphins hat............but I mostly don't care who else wears their gear

I have on occasion had the urge to call children and family services when I've seen a baby decked out in steelers gear though

:)

What if Luck was holding a Pats hat?  :highfive2:

Not exactly a fair comparison considering the colts-pats rivalry of the past decade.  I don't recall there being such a rivalry between the 49ers and dolphins.  A more fair question might be, "what if Luck was holding (or wearing) a Bucs hat?" to which I would say, I could really not care less but I'd hope it was the creamsickle one. :)

I agree with those that have said this isn't even news.  the man can wear whatever he wants to wear..especially in the offseason.  they should be thankful all he's doing is wearing a dolphin's hat at a 4th of July party and not out doing something that could result in a suspension or an arrest.  I loved his reply too, particularly the portion in bold:

"This the hat y'all mad at? I'm goin wear what I want regardless of what you think," Kaepernick said, via Instagram. "All you need to worry about is the fact that I grind for my teammates and the 49ers! I plan on doin this until they won't let me in the building! #ridiculous #y'allmustbebored"

Eh The Dolphins were the first NFL teamed I liked (we lived in Florida for awhile when I was a kid). So I don't have a problem with that and I honestly wouldn't care if Luck wore a Giants hat. Different Division. Still there's something about Kaepernick that screams "I need smacked". I'm just grateful we have a QB with some humility.

Eh The Dolphins were the first NFL teamed I liked (we lived in Florida for awhile when I was a kid). So I don't have a problem with that and I honestly wouldn't care if Luck wore a Giants hat. Different Division. Still there's something about Kaepernick that screams "I need smacked". I'm just grateful we have a QB with some humility.

I don't get this at all.  All the guy did was wear an outfit that he liked and then stand up for his right to do that when people started to criticize.  I don't see how that shows a lack of humility at all.  From a young age, we're taught that we should stand up for ourselves and not give in to peer pressure or bullying.  

I think a lot of people (not necessarily you) are just going out of their way to find reasons not to like him just because he doesn't have the clean-cut, boy scout image that people tend to associate with the QB position.

I'm not surprised fans would flip over this...........not that they should but some people really take this stuff seriously

Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a dolphins hat............but I mostly don't care who else wears their gear

I have on occasion had the urge to call children and family services when I've seen a baby decked out in steelers gear though

:)

I usually just smack the baby

one time we hired someone to work our our social web site and the draft came to us and we all immediately flipped out

it was done in dolphin colors

seriously.  web designer said they were a better color palette

told him that even if he didn't like our colors, he had to use them

I mean really!

the thing I don't like about my sbxli stuff is that it is in dolphin colors

one time we hired someone to work our our social web site and the draft came to us and we all immediately flipped out

it was done in dolphin colors

seriously.  web designer said they were a better color palette

told him that even if he didn't like our colors, he had to use them

I mean really!

the thing I don't like about my sbxli stuff is that it is in dolphin colors

Next time hire web designers put in contract only Colt Colors or hire only designers that are Colt fans but that may be just to much " LUCK "  to hope for

If my wife was seen out in public drinking a Bud (there are many things wrong with that to begin with), she would get fired.

The 49ers are first and foremost a business. Kaep is the face of their business. This isn't a fan issue at all, but I'm surprised stuff like this isn't worded into contracts.

Not exactly a fair comparison considering the colts-pats rivalry of the past decade.  I don't recall there being such a rivalry between the 49ers and dolphins.  A more fair question might be, "what if Luck was holding (or wearing) a Bucs hat?" to which I would say, I could really not care less but I'd hope it was the creamsickle one. :)

I agree with those that have said this isn't even news.  the man can wear whatever he wants to wear..especially in the offseason.  they should be thankful all he's doing is wearing a dolphin's hat at a 4th of July party and not out doing something that could result in a suspension or an arrest.  I loved his reply too, particularly the portion in bold:

"This the hat y'all mad at? I'm goin wear what I want regardless of what you think," Kaepernick said, via Instagram. "All you need to worry about is the fact that I grind for my teammates and the 49ers! I plan on doin this until they won't let me in the building! #ridiculous #y'allmustbebored"

I had not issue with the hat but a HUGE issue with his response. The QB position is one of leadership. The ability of a QB to lead his team is as important as his talent. Kaep comes off as smug and selfish in this quote. He really doesn't get it. His team is the fav to win the SB and he needs to figure out how to get them back to the big game. Personally, I think he was one of the most overrated QBs last year. We shall see what year 2 brings and the sophmore slump that is inevitable ...