Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Kaepernick fashion debacle

ReMeDy

I had not issue with the hat but a HUGE issue with his response. The QB position is one of leadership. The ability of a QB to lead his team is as important as his talent. Kaep comes off as smug and selfish in this quote. He really doesn't get it. His team is the fav to win the SB and he needs to figure out how to get them back to the big game. Personally, I think he was one of the most overrated QBs last year. We shall see what year 2 brings and the sophmore slump that is inevitable ...

He didn't come off as smug and selfish at all imo.  He came off as confident and not refusing to bow to public perception.  He's going to be his own man and he's not going to let the public tell him what to do.  now if the 49ers organization has something to say about it then I'm sure he'd have a much different reaction.  But I think he simply realizes that he's not going to please all of the people all of the time so he's going to be his own man and not worry about what the general public thinks of him.  He's absolutely right, the only thing fans need to worry about is what he does on the field.  What he does in his private life is his own business.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had not issue with the hat but a HUGE issue with his response. The QB position is one of leadership. The ability of a QB to lead his team is as important as his talent. Kaep comes off as smug and selfish in this quote. He really doesn't get it. His team is the fav to win the SB and he needs to figure out how to get them back to the big game. Personally, I think he was one of the most overrated QBs last year. We shall see what year 2 brings and the sophmore slump that is inevitable ...

I don't think he came off as smug or selfish....just a little silly for responding to fan nonsense thru social media.

Don't think he is overrated at all. Think he is the 2nd best young QB out there.

This is something that is not a big deal, but fans will blow it way out of proportion because fans just care way to much and get mad because players do not care as much as they do.

I would not care if Luck wore a Pats hat or PG wore a Bulls hat. It is just a freaking hat and I just do not care enough about sports to be offended over a hat.

I don't think there's anything wrong with team management requesting that a player not wear attire that promotes a competing franchise. I don't even have a problem with fans of the team said player is on having a problem with it. I just don't think it has anything to do with the way a player performs on the field, and that's really all I care about. Particularly if it's a player on a team I don't actively root for.

If a Colts player wore a Pats hat in public, I'd disapprove. But that would be it. I wouldn't question the player's ability to perform on account of that.

True Superman, it has no bearing on a QB's performance on the field, but even as a joke, being paid by the 49ers & wearing a Dolphins hat on company time is a huge public relations SNAFU. You just don't do it. CK is the face of the franchise & he is the figurehead of the franchise. You don't see the U.S. President singing the praises of Russia do ya? The one exception being an international summit on climate change where Vladimir Putin participates as the President Of Russia. It was an *ic public relations move on CK's part. What a mo ron...Sigh...When your team owner is signing your game check as a 49er, you don't wear the hat of an NFL rival. 

I do understand the other side of the argument though. My cousin drives a 7UP delivery truck for a living & he often buys a Pepsi beverage to drink during his route. Somehow his boss discovered this & asked him drink a product that the company he worked for made or face disciplinary action. He said "Look, as long as I execute my job duties well, you have no cause or justification to fire me." The boss was swayed by his argument & my cousin is still driving a 7UP delivery truck today. 

Still CK it is a really stupid move. Do you really want reporters asking you about your team loyalty at training camp? Not funny, not smart, not real leadership as amfootball so eloquently stated in SW1's humble opinion. Outside the genre of professional football, you can wear whatever you want except when the 49ers are paying you directly. So colossally dumb CK...

He didn't come off as smug and selfish at all imo.  He came off as confident and not refusing to bow to public perception.  He's going to be his own man and he's not going to let the public tell him what to do.  now if the 49ers organization has something to say about it then I'm sure he'd have a much different reaction.  But I think he simply realizes that he's not going to please all of the people all of the time so he's going to be his own man and not worry about what the general public thinks of him.  He's absolutely right, the only thing fans need to worry about is what he does on the field.  What he does in his private life is his own business.

Are you kidding me?!! The owner of the 49ers is cutting his game check? You never spit in the face of your owner or literally bite the hand that feeds you & puts food on the table.   :facepalm:

True Superman, it has no bearing on a QB's performance on the field, but even as a joke, being paid by the 49ers & wearing a Dolphins hat on company time is a huge public relations SNAFU. You just don't do it. CK is the face of the franchise & he is the figurehead of the franchise. You don't see the U.S. President singing the praises of Russia do ya? The one exception being an international summit on climate change where Vladimir Putin participates as the President Of Russia. It was an *ic public relations move on CK's part. What a mo ron...Sigh...When your team owner is signing your game check as a 49er, you don't wear the hat of an NFL rival. 

I do understand the other side of the argument though. My cousin drives a 7UP delivery truck for a living & he often buys a Pepsi beverage to drink during his route. Somehow his boss discovered this & asked him drink a product that the company he worked for made or face disciplinary action. He said "Look, as long as I execute my job duties well, you have no cause or justification to fire me." The boss was swayed by his argument & my cousin is still driving a 7UP delivery truck today. 

Still CK it is a really stupid move. Do you really want reporters asking you about your team loyalty at training camp? Not funny, not smart, not real leadership as amfootball so eloquently stated in SW1's humble opinion. Outside the genre of professional football, you can wear whatever you want except when the 49ers are paying you directly. So colossally dumb CK...

I get it. I wouldn't want Luck to wear another team's hat.

I just don't think it has anything to do with leadership. When it's late in the fourth quarter and the Niners offense huddles up, no one is thinking about Kaepernick's hat. He'll have command of the offense, and he'll produce to the level his ability allows him to. Has nothing to do with what kind of hat he wore in the offseason.

Maybe it's a sign of immaturity. Sometimes we have to forgo our rights in the interests of the greater good. So it would be best for Kaepernick NOT to do something that might irritate other people, so that he and his teammates don't have to face questions about it later on. But really, that's more a commentary on the social climate, where people react based on incomplete information, jump to conclusions, and completely ignore new information once they've made their mind up. It's like those people who say "fair or not, QBs are judged on postseason success." They acknowledge the flaws in the reasoning, while promoting that reasoning at the same time. 

All of that is a convoluted way of saying that it's not a big deal, and he's not my team's QB, so I don't care. Carry on.

I get it. I wouldn't want Luck to wear another team's hat.

I just don't think it has anything to do with leadership. When it's late in the fourth quarter and the Niners offense huddles up, no one is thinking about Kaepernick's hat. He'll have command of the offense, and he'll produce to the level his ability allows him to. Has nothing to do with what kind of hat he wore in the offseason.

Maybe it's a sign of immaturity. Sometimes we have to forgo our rights in the interests of the greater good. So it would be best for Kaepernick NOT to do something that might irritate other people, so that he and his teammates don't have to face questions about it later on. But really, that's more a commentary on the social climate, where people react based on incomplete information, jump to conclusions, and completely ignore new information once they've made their mind up. It's like those people who say "fair or not, QBs are judged on postseason success." They acknowledge the flaws in the reasoning, while promoting that reasoning at the same time. 

All of that is a convoluted way of saying that it's not a big deal, and he's not my team's QB, so I don't care. Carry on.

A nice reply there Superman. I guess I would make the argument that since CK is the face of the 49ers franchise he needs to be more mature on & off the field meaning not getting into legal trouble or wearing the hat of a rival you could face in the post season. Yes, performance on the field does matter, but so does common sense, team loyalty, & endorsement deals down the road for CK.

Corporations want stability & sqweaky clean athletes to peddle their products not young, immature athletes who haven't really done anything yet on an NFL scale. CK needs to remember that: Go to work & think about your actions before you blindly leap please.  You are representing 49ers Nation & the entire state of California...No one takes the Oakland Raiders seriously as an NFL threat. Let's be honest here.  haha  Just Kidding! 

Maturity is a sign of superb leadership & not requiring your teammates to answer questions about your boneheaded hat move...Learn from this CK & don't add distractions to your franchise or teammates as Superman said. Leadership means knowing what not to do & steering clear of any PR disasters IMHO...

Look at the ruckus caused around here when Brady was caught wearing a YANKEES cap... totally different sport.

BradyHat.jpg

It's ridiculous, but I guess this kind of thing really does bother some folks. It's a hat, people. Just a hat.

I guess for me if I was the owner & the front office of San Fran I would need to see where CK's head is at right now. Is he going something dumb like this every week or has he learned his lesson? There is 1 cardinal rule in retaining your employment: Never surprise your boss or put the company name in a bad or derogatory light.

This isn't just about a hat, but rather how CK carries himself & brings positive press to your city, your fans, & your organization. Is this lapse in judgement a 1 time thing or a pattern of stupidity that needs to be curtailed immediately. 

Look at the ruckus caused around here when Brady was caught wearing a YANKEES cap... totally different sport.

BradyHat.jpg

It's ridiculous, but I guess this kind of thing really does bother some folks. It's a hat, people. Just a hat.

People take their sports way to seriously in this country.  If you are going to run around butt hurt because a player who you have no clue who they are nor do they really have any impact on your life at all then you have some messed up priorities. I understand the owner and advertisers giving him some grief over it, but fans freaking out just shows how obsessive fans can be about the littlest of things.

BradyHat.jpg

Outside of football, an athlete can where whatever they want. But when you are being paid millions by an NFL owner, it matters. "He who has the gold makes the rules." And when he/she provides your comfortable standard of living in the lap of luxury.

It does matter. If Tom wore a Colts hat everywhere, both Bill Belichick & Robert Kraft would sit Tommy down for a nice heart to heart conversation & trust me the Colts hat would disappear ASAP.

Outside of football, an athlete can where whatever they want. But when you are being paid millions by an NFL owner, it matters. "He who has the gold makes the rules." And when he/she provides your comfortable standard of living in the lap of luxury.

It does matter. If Tom wore a Colts hat everywhere, both Bill Belichick & Robert Kraft would sit Tommy down for a nice heart to heart conversation & trust me the Colts hat would disappear ASAP.

Rich owners get pretty much whatever they want & if a QB still wants to get paid, he falls into lock step marching orders with his boss very, very swiftly. Money & a continued revenue stream of cash tend to make athletes stay on their best behavior. Why do you think Gronk apologized to Robert Kraft for allowing an adult film star to wear his Patriots jersey? 

102611-NFL-Rob-Gronkowski-BiBi-Jones-Ins

Rich owners get pretty much whatever they want & if a QB still wants to get paid, he falls into lock step marching orders with his boss very, very swiftly. Money & a continued revenue stream of cash tend to make athletes stay on their best behavior. Why do you think Gronk apologized to Robert Kraft for allowing an adult film star to wear his Patriots jersey? 

102611-NFL-Rob-Gronkowski-BiBi-Jones-Ins

Yes Bibi Jones is very attractive, but NE doesn't want their product to be associated with the adult entertainment industry & neither does Roger Goodell. Remember Janet Jackson's blurry cleavage shot at the SB Halftime Show? Sponsors want family friendly imagery & so does Robert Kraft.

I definitely see what you're saying, but I think the circumstances mean something too. What I mean is, if Brady walked around in a Colts hat, that would be a lot worse than, say, a Tampa Bay hat. Different conference, no rivalry, no history, etc.

I'm not saying it's right or smart, I'm just saying that I personally don't have the time or energy to get all worked up about someone's choice of accessories. Especially in case like Kap's, where the guy supposedly owns something like 400 hats.

I don't get this at all.  All the guy did was wear an outfit that he liked and then stand up for his right to do that when people started to criticize.  I don't see how that shows a lack of humility at all.  From a young age, we're taught that we should stand up for ourselves and not give in to peer pressure or bullying.  

I think a lot of people (not necessarily you) are just going out of their way to find reasons not to like him just because he doesn't have the clean-cut, boy scout image that people tend to associate with the QB position.

OK I should say I'm glad Andrew doesn't kiss his bicep after a touchdown. The clothing thing I could care less about. I have tattoos so that doesn't bother me either. Maybe I just think he's self absorbed and looks like it. Kind of like Cutler. I'm just glad we (Indy) seem to have been blessed in having "down to Earth" QB's like Peyton and Andrew. That's just my opinion. He might be a great guy. 

Are you kidding me?!! The owner of the 49ers is cutting his game check? You never spit in the face of your owner or literally bite the hand that feeds you & puts food on the table.   :facepalm:

and if the 49ers organization has a problem with what he did then that is entirely different, I already said that in previous posts.  how do you know that the 49ers owner has a problem with what he did?  how do you know colin didn't talk to the 49ers mgmt before hand to make sure they didn't care if he wore the dolphins cap? 

so once again, if the 49ers coaches or mgmt have a problem with him then he should absolutely listen to them and obey their instructions.  However, he is under no obligation to give a rat's behind about what the general fan-base thinks and he's better off NOT caring because no matter what he does he's going to offend someone.  You can please some of the people all of the time or all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

People take their sports way to seriously in this country.  If you are going to run around butt hurt because a player who you have no clue who they are nor do they really have any impact on your life at all then you have some messed up priorities. I understand the owner and advertisers giving him some grief over it, but fans freaking out just shows how obsessive fans can be about the littlest of things.

Good god I could not agree more.  Oh no he wore the hat of a non-rival team that's in a different division in the other conference.  OH NOES!!!   He's not getting busted for drugs, he's not getting arrested for anything, he's enjoying a 4th of july party in the off-season presumably with friends and family and he's wearing a hat that he likes.  Maybe the colors went with his outfit.  Who knows, but more than that, who cares?  If the 49ers brass cares then yeah it's an issue.  If they don't though then no one else should either.

and if the 49ers organization has a problem with what he did then that is entirely different, I already said that in previous posts.  how do you know that the 49ers owner has a problem with what he did?  how do you know colin didn't talk to the 49ers mgmt before hand to make sure they didn't care if he wore the dolphins cap? 

so once again, if the 49ers coaches or mgmt have a problem with him then he should absolutely listen to them and obey their instructions.  However, he is under no obligation to give a rat's behind about what the general fan-base thinks and he's better off NOT caring because no matter what he does he's going to offend someone.  You can please some of the people all of the time or all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

You are naturally entitled to your opinion Jason, but as a QB representing the face of a franchise, it is pretty safe to assume that the 49ers owner John M. Sobrato is not pleased with CK right now & why should he be? How do you know he didn't give CK a serious tongue lashing? Your Abraham Lincoln quote not withstanding Jason, you never insult or disrespect the boss paying your high salary EVER....

Again, this issue is salary related not freedom of choice related...There is no way the 49ers owner would green light his franchise starting QB displaying the logo of their key figurehead holding up a team rivalry's hat not in a million years sir. I can guarantee you that fact without even flinching. 

I definitely see what you're saying, but I think the circumstances mean something too. What I mean is, if Brady walked around in a Colts hat, that would be a lot worse than, say, a Tampa Bay hat. Different conference, no rivalry, no history, etc.

I'm not saying it's right or smart, I'm just saying that I personally don't have the time or energy to get all worked up about someone's choice of accessories. Especially in case like Kap's, where the guy supposedly owns something like 400 hats.

Accessories are fine as long you remember what sport you play & who you play for. If CK wants to wear multiple baseball, hockey, & basketball hats, that perfectly fine just always make sure that your NFL hat matches the owner whose signature is on your check. It's financially smart & it confirms team loyalty, your brand name/affiliation, & bigger endorsements deals down the road. Consistency, a game winner, & stability is what owners & corporations want. You are property of the 49ers organization CK. Your opinions don't matter period. Fall in line son; Fall in line. 

http://www.dhgate.com/product/newest-720p-hd-spy-camera-hat-cap-with-remote/138386947.html

I dunno. I think Andrew would look pretty sharp in this Pats cap.

A reconnaissance mission behind enemy lines you say House...Cameras are tiny now aren't they? Sure, go for it. As we used to say in Grad School, "if you steal from 1 author, it's called plagiarism; If you steal from many several times, it's called research." ;)  :thmup:  

You are naturally entitled to your opinion Jason, but as a QB representing the face of a franchise, it is pretty safe to assume that the 49ers owner John M. Sobrato is not pleased with CK right now & why should he be? How do you know he didn't give CK a serious tongue lashing? Your Abraham Lincoln quote not withstanding Jason, you never insult or disrespect the boss paying your high salary EVER....

Again, this issue is salary related not freedom of choice related...There is no way the 49ers owner would green light his franchise starting QB displaying the logo of their key figurehead holding up a team rivalry's hat not in a million years sir. I can guarantee you that fact without even flinching. 

the thing is, no you can't.  not even close.  you have no idea, nor do I, how the 49ers owner and mgmt feel about this situation.  you can't guarantee they are mad right now just likeI can guarantee you that he spoke with them beforehand and got their approval.  it's their business to deal with in house in their own way.  If they have a problem with it, then that should mean something to CK.  you having a problem with it should mean absolutely nothing to CK.

the thing is, no you can't.  not even close.  you have no idea, nor do I, how the 49ers owner and mgmt feels about this situation.  you have no way at all to know CK didn't speak with them prior to wearing the cap just like I have no way of knowing that CK didn't get a good tongue lashing from them after the fact.  it's their business to deal with in house in their own way.  If they have a problem with it, then that means something.  you having a problem with it means nothing at all.  it's your opinion and you're entitled to it but you can no more guarantee me of anything than I can you.  you are, however, free to continue believing that you can guarantee something that you really can't though if that's your prerogative. :)

An owner paying a QB millions wants 49ers gear on his head sir. Like I said before, CK is the property of the 49ers & the owner owns his caboose in all things related to Football CK's primary occupation right now. Just like an HC at a college football program calls the shots for all the kids on scholarship under his jurisdiction especially on game day. Who are we kidding?!!  

It's basic supply side economics. I the owner of the 49ers pays CK thousandths with every game check & in exchange for that you keep your nose clean, be a positive role model, & wear 49er's NFL apparel. Other sports genres do whatever you want, but when it comes to me the owner your only allegiance is to 1 NFL monopoly the San Francisco 49ers. This isn't a democracy. Not when your boss is paying you handsomely as the Niners QB. If CK wants to keep his job & smooth over the front office waves, you shut up & do what the owner your boss says plain & simple. Owners can't sell team merchandise to fans with his franchise QB being associated in any way with the Miami Dolphins. "Straight cash homey" owners never want anything that disrupts the flow of the team sales please...

An owner paying a QB millions wants 49ers gear on his head sir. Like I said before, CK is the property of the 49ers & the owner owns his caboose in all things related to Football CK's primary occupation right now. Just like an HC at a college football program calls the shots for all the kids on scholarship under his jurisdiction especially on game day. Who are we kidding?!!  

It's basic supply side economics. I the owner of the 49ers pays CK thousandths with every game check & in exchange for that you keep your nose clean, be a positive role model, & wear 49er's NFL apparel. Other sports genres do whatever you want, but when it comes to me the owner your only allegiance is to 1 NFL monopoly the San Francisco 49ers. This isn't a democracy. Not when your boss is paying you handsomely as the Niners QB. If CK wants to keep his job & smooth over the front office waves, you shut up & do what the owner your boss says plain & simple. Owners can't sell team merchandise to fans with his franchise QB being associated in any way with the Miami Dolphins. "Straight cash homey" owners never want anything that disrupts the flow of the team sales please...

If they are that concerned with what their players wear in the offseason then they need to incorporate clauses in the players contract to prevent him from wearing another team's apparel.  that's exactly what companies like Nike or reebok would do.  They would put a clause in the contact saying that, while the player is under contract he is to wear their approved gear only.  If he violates that then they can nail him with breach of contract.  If they don't then they have no say over what he does or does not wear nor could they use that as a reason to terminate his contract.  Same would go for the 49ers organization.  If they don't want him wearing other team apparel during the offseason then they would include a clause stating as much in his contract.  If they don't then they can't touch him.  They can scold him, tell him they didn't appreciate it and find a reason to cut him...or just not re-sign him when his contract is up.  

So to summarize, if they have a problem with him then they can talk to him behind closed doors about the situation.  if they wanted to make absolutely sure that their players do not wear non-approved NFL apparel then they would have to include a clause in the contract stating as much.  Otherwise, they have no more say than you or I do.  Now I do agree with you that he should absolutely respect the wishes of the franchise and it's ownership and if they have a problem with him then he should do as they ask.  But once again, we do not know that they have a problem with what he did.  You certainly believe they did, and they very well could have but until they come out and make a statement then anything that you or I say is nothing more than conjecture.  If I were the owner of the 49er organization, I would have absolutely no problem with what he did.  Further I would order that all coaches and players answer with a simple "no comment" to any questions the media should present.  The media is going to do anything and everything that they can to find a story where there is none and to create drama where there is none.  I'm not going to expect my employees to conduct their personal lives based on what the media may or may not do.  I would deal with any problems I had in house and anything I did not have a problem with I would not allow the press to turn into an issue, and again I would do that by instructing anyone in the organization to simply not answer questions like this.  

You can talk about how you need to maintain the team image all you want but let's be honest, the only thing that truly matters is winning and losing and I think that at the very least CK realizes that.  As long as they continue being a successful franchise then fans will continue showing up at games and purchasing merchandise.  People here hated Jeff George as much as anyone but no doubt at least 99% of the fan base would root him on if he were helping to win games.  

If they are that concerned with what their players wear in the offseason then they need to incorporate clauses in the players contract to prevent him from wearing another team's apparel.  that's exactly what companies like Nike or reebok would do.  They would put a clause in the contact saying that, while the player is under contract he is to wear their approved gear only.  If he violates that then they can nail him with breach of contract.  If they don't then they have no say over what he does or does not wear nor could they use that as a reason to terminate his contract.  Same would go for the 49ers organization.  If they don't want him wearing other team apparel during the offseason then they would include a clause stating as much in his contract.  If they don't then they can't touch him.  They can scold him, tell him they didn't appreciate it and find a reason to cut him...or just not re-sign him when his contract is up.  

So to summarize, if they have a problem with him then they can talk to him behind closed doors about the situation.  if they wanted to make absolutely sure that their players do not wear non-approved NFL apparel then they would have to include a clause in the contract stating as much.  Otherwise, they have no more say than you or I do.  Now I do agree with you that he should absolutely respect the wishes of the franchise and it's ownership and if they have a problem with him then he should do as they ask.  But once again, we do not know that they have a problem with what he did.  You certainly believe they did, and they very well could have but until they come out and make a statement then anything that you or I say is nothing more than conjecture.  If I were the owner of the 49er organization, I would have absolutely no problem with what he did.  Further I would order that all coaches and players answer with a simple "no comment" to any questions the media should present.  The media is going to do anything and everything that they can to find a story where there is none and to create drama where there is none.  I'm not going to expect my employees to conduct their personal lives based on what the media may or may not do.  I would deal with any problems I had in house and anything I did not have a problem with I would not allow the press to turn into an issue, and again I would do that by instructing anyone in the organization to simply not answer questions like this.  

You can talk about how you need to maintain the team image all you want but let's be honest, the only thing that truly matters is winning and losing and I think that at the very least CK realizes that.  As long as they continue being a successful franchise then fans will continue showing up at games and purchasing merchandise.  People here hated Jeff George as much as anyone but no doubt at least 99% of the fan base would root him on if he were helping to win games.  

A very well articulated & well crafted argument Jason & I don't buy a word of it. Let's just agree to disagree on this one. Yes, winning is the most important factor in CK retaining his job in the starting lineup. No argument there. However, Nike & Reebok aren't paying CK's salary sir John M. Sobrato is. It has nothing to do with clauses. When your boss signs your check, you say how high. Translation: Keep him happy & you keep your job. Part of that is performance related & part of that is following orders & toeing the company line. I'm not moving 1 inch and this & neither are you.

What in the world does the media have to do with any of this? Nothing. It's boss vs employee & what the boss wants the boss always gets 1 way or another. Either the employee modifies their position or they get fired. At the bare minimum, your job in the starting lineup is not an iron clad lock anymore. It's really very simple Jason.  My point in my earlier post was about the sale of team merchandise. An owner can't sell their product with a franchise QB openly displaying divided team loyalties sir. Tell where in any way does this involve the media & the press? It doesn't.  

A very well articulated & well crafted argument Jason & I don't buy a word of it. Let's just agree to disagree on this one. Yes, winning is the most important factor in CK retaining his job in the starting lineup. No argument there. However, Nike & Reebok aren't paying CK's salary sir John M. Sobrato is. It has nothing to do with clauses. When your boss signs your check, you say how high. Translation: Keep him happy & you keep your job. Part of that is performance related & part of that is following orders & toeing the company line. I'm not moving 1 inch and this & neither are you.

What in the world does the media have to do with any of this? Nothing. It's boss vs employee & what the boss wants the boss always gets 1 way or another. Either the employee modifies their position or they get fired. At the bare minimum, your job in the starting lineup is not an iron clad lock anymore. It's really very simple Jason.  My point in my earlier post was about the sale of team merchandise. An owner can't sell their product with a franchise QB openly displaying divided team loyalties sir. Tell where in any way does this involve the media & the press? It doesn't.  

I agree Southwest. Remember when the owner of the Panthers told Cam Newton no tattoos? I do. I am sure the niners were not only not happy with CK's choice of apparel but were irate over his response. His statement was basically a big finger to the niners fanbase and I can assure you that he has been spoken to and may do some back peddling very soon. It is ridiculous that he thinks his wearing a Fins hat would not be bothersome to his fanbase and that he has the right to wear it and people should get over it because afterall he is going to try like heck to help the niners win. This was a very immature move and an even more ignorant and arrogant response.

Well fortunately I don't post on commission so what you buy and don't buy does not affect my bottom line. ;)  (come on that was witty :D )  Seriously though, what's really funny is that to a large degree we actually are in agreement.  I never once said that CK should do anything that goes against the wishes of the 49er mgmt or coaches.  In fact to the contrary, I have stated numerous times that if they have a problem with him then yes he should absolutely do as they ask.  

I brought up the clauses for the simple fact that no, they do not have the authority to tell him what to do during the offseason in regards to anything that's not specifically written into his contract.  They can tell him whatever they want but they have no authority to enforce unless it's in writing somewhere.  Their only other recourse would be to cut him if he continually does things that they do not approve of and they could claim conduct detrimental to the team.  But honestly, do you really think they would cut him over him wearing another team's hat to a private party on the 4th of July?  I don't. 

I brought up the media in response to whoever mentioned earlier in the thread that CK was bringing unnecessary drama to the team.  His actions would bring about questions from the media to both him, his teammates and coaches.  I was responding to how I would personally handle that but I don't recall if it was you who brought that up or someone else and I really don't feel like going back at the moment to find out.

But back to the main point, yes when my boss says jump I say how high...while I'm actually on the job, on company property and on company time.  If my boss tells me what kind of apparel to wear to a party that has nothing to do with the company then I would have a discussion with him about why that is not his concern.  It's not like CK wore the dolphins hat to a public appearance, to the 49ers stadium or any other team facility.  I have in fact only found 2 pictures...one that appears to be him in a parking lot and the other is on the beach.  He wore this to a gathering that had nothing to do with the NFL, the 49ers organization or even football in general.  If he had worn this hat to an official team outing then yeah I could see that being a bigger deal.  If the response he made was to the 49ers organization and not to the general public then yeah I would say that's definitely a problem.  None of those things are the case though.  

To be perfectly honest, I could easily see CK in Harbaugh's office having a good laugh over all this.  This actually seems very Harbaugh-ish imo.  However I fully concede that Harbaugh could also be furious over the incident.  I have no way of knowing, just like you don't, without actually being in the room or unless a team spokesman at some point makes an official comment.

I also don't see this having any effect whatsoever on merchandise sales.  Once the season gets into full swing, I don't see people refusing to buy merchandise because CK wore a dolphins hat to a beach party way back on the 4th of July.  

I agree Southwest. Remember when the owner of the Panthers told Cam Newton no tattoos? I do. I am sure the niners were not only not happy with CK's choice of apparel but were irate over his response. His statement was basically a big finger to the niners fanbase and I can assure you that he has been spoken to and may do some back peddling very soon. It is ridiculous that he thinks his wearing a Fins hat would not be bothersome to his fanbase and that he has the right to wear it and people should get over it because afterall he is going to try like heck to help the niners win. This was a very immature move and an even more ignorant and arrogant response.

Sorry but what's ridiculous is how utterly out of proportion this thing has become.  I do agree that he should have expected a little backlash, but I agree with him 100% that people should not care what he wears to a party in the offseason.  What matters is what he does in OTA's, in mini-camp, in the film sessions, in practices and on the field.  Other than that fans need to just mind their own business.  So long as CK is doing those things during the season, and not getting into trouble with the law or violating league and/or team policies then he's doing everything he should be doing.  Now, if it turns out that wearing the dolphins hat was a violation of team policy then that's another matter and he'll have to take that up with the team.  

Sorry but what's ridiculous is how utterly out of proportion this thing has become.  I do agree that he should have expected a little backlash, but I agree with him 100% that people should not care what he wears to a party in the offseason.  What matters is what he does in OTA's, in mini-camp, in the film sessions, in practices and on the field.  Other than that fans need to just mind their own business.  So long as CK is doing those things during the season, and not getting into trouble with the law or violating league and/or team policies then he's doing everything he should be doing.  Now, if it turns out that wearing the dolphins hat was a violation of team policy then that's another matter and he'll have to take that up with the team.  

So the standard for the franchise QB is not getting arrested? My how our values have dropped.

I see your point but as the face of a franchize he needs to be smarter. What he wears whether to a football related event or not is important. Heck, the league is looking into his tattoos to see if they are gang related. I hope for his sake they are not.

It's not like he's in jail on murder charges. 

On a much lighter level, I know why this is annoying to fans, but athletes have a fairly terrible sense of fashion, and wearing sports/shoe brand "stuff" is a part of that. Whatever.

So the standard for the franchise QB is not getting arrested? My how our values have dropped.

I see your point but as the face of a franchize he needs to be smarter. What he wears whether to a football related event or not is important. Heck, the league is looking into his tattoos to see if they are gang related. I hope for his sake they are not.

Um, no I never said the standard was simply not getting arrested...though it does help to not get arrested.   Hopefully the 49ers won't have to have a jersey exchange over this.  :thmup:

btw, you have a link to this investigation over his tatoos?

Um, no I never said the standard was simply not getting arrested...though it does help to not get arrested.   Hopefully the 49ers won't have to have a jersey exchange over this.  :thmup:

btw, you have a link to this investigation over his tatoos?

How many links do you want? Just google Kaep and tattoos. Tons of hits will come up. They have been looking at his tattoos since he became starter. It was one of the top stories of the SB but with the AH case they are looking even closer.

And his comments related to the Fins hat really don't help him at all. He comes off as smug witht the "no one is going to tell me what to do" tone. Kind of like AH ...

How many links do you want? Just google Kaep and tattoos. Tons of hits will come up. They have been looking at his tattoos since he became starter. It was one of the top stories of the SB but with the AH case they are looking even closer.

And his comments related to the Fins hat really don't help him at all. He comes off as smug witht the "no one is going to tell me what to do" tone. Kind of like AH ...

I couldn't find anything about the 49ers looking into Kaepernick's tattoos. Aren't they mostly tribal and religious?

I couldn't find anything about the 49ers looking into Kaepernick's tattoos. Aren't they mostly tribal and religious?

There is much commentary on them from Kaep and from others. It has gotten heightened sensitivity since the AH arrest because he has a lot too ..

I did do a google search and I didn't find anything about the NFL looking into them.  In fact, here's what I found:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=kaepernick+tattoos

The majority are links to explanations of the history of his tattoos and what they mean.  I don't see anything about the NFL looking into them after the Hernandez incident.

I did do a google search and I didn't find anything about the NFL looking into them.  In fact, here's what I found:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=kaepernick+tattoos

The majority are links to explanations of the history of his tattoos and what they mean.  I don't see anything about the NFL looking into them after the Hernandez incident.

It was being talked about here on Boston sports radio ad nauseum. Kaep's name was the one they said the NFL is looking into. Don't believe it is a formal investigation of any sort but more information seeking. At this point the NFL needs to get a handle on the gang culture. AH was a BIG eye opener.

But back to topic. I think Kaep would be wise to apologize to the niners fanbase. If anything he came off as insensitive for wearing the hat and like a spoiled brat in his defensive comments. It would do a world a good and help this go away faster.